• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

do you carry a special non-essential?

Br. David

I think this topic may have occurred more than once, but was wondering about non-essentials in the pack ... I always keep my flannel handy in a plastic bag .. great for cooling the head and freshening up before entering a town - but we all carry one of those.

I think that the non-essential that I consider just about essential to have with me is a large linen napkin. I really do like to spread it out over my knees or on the grass when I stop for a snack. I think it may trace back to the traditional tramp, the 'Gentleman of the Road', in children's films when I was a child. They always seemed to be sitting by a hedge in front of a lovely view with a spread-out napkin with a makeshift meal on it .. and a pocket knife for cutting the sausage and cheese and so on - I always wanted to do that (actually, I always wanted to be the tramp - self sufficient, free to roam ...) ... now I do.

Do you have a non-essential that you carry with you as an 'essential' ??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suppose my only non-essential would be the very small journal I carry - about 3" x 6" - to record my notes.

A facecloth. Common mostly to North America. Or....Br. David, do you think this is the same as a flannel? I also carry mine in a baggie. I usually end up losing it towards the end of the camino....
lynne

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Of course, if we went to the trouble of carrying it, it must have been essential ....

Anyhow, I'm with Falcon. I carried a spare piece of Tyvek (spare after cutting a 5-foot length to spray with anti-bedbug compound -- that's a separate topic). Was terrific for sitting on damp ground, making a place for the pack on the floor, etc.

I also carried a Kindle. and its charger.

And an iphone. and its charger

And a French cell phone. and its charger.

Come to think of it, perhaps they weren't so essential. Or so featherweight as I thought.

Mini art kit:- paint-stick crayons (just 6 of them), a small brush and a postcard size 12 sheet artists pad. Fitted in my pocket. Proved their worth when Terry was ill in Oviedo last year and I needed something to do while looking after him.
I think something to sit on is really an essential but ours are two halves of a worn out rucksack cover.
Tia Valeria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lightweight tent which I haven't used yet on the Camino, but do use it after the Camino. Ditto sleeping mat, which I used once on the Camino Mozarabe. French and Spanish/English dictionaries which I have not used and will not take again. Large plastic bin bag which I have used to line the inside of my pack, but now use to sit on when the ground is wet.

Lightweight tent which I haven't used yet on the Camino, but do use it after the Camino. Ditto sleeping mat, which I used once on the Camino Mozarabe. French and Spanish/English dictionaries which I have not used and will not take again. Large plastic bin bag which I have used to line the inside of my pack, but now use to sit on when the ground is wet.

Special non-essential items to me were the miniature lipstick, eye shadow, mascara, and perfume tucked into the bottom of my pack. These things weighed next to nothing and were a delight to use on rest days or when I felt a bit down. I also always had a book of Sudoku puzzles to while away the time in albergues.

Trudy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Several: a reuseable grocery bag which I used for multiple purposes (to carry stuff to/from shower, to use for laundry, and of course for shopping). And my Kindle--on which was my bible, prayerbook, reflective books and some novels I've intended to read and haven't. There were evenings when I was the only English speaker and being able to read was a pleasure without having to carry the weight of books. The Kindle simply uses an adapter so it was easy to charge--with network off, I was able to read for two weeks between charging.

lynnejohn said:
A facecloth. Common mostly to North America. Or....Br. David, do you think this is the same as a flannel? I also carry mine in a baggie. I usually end up losing it towards the end of the camino....
lynne

so sorry, yes, for flannel read facecloth if not uk of a certain age. :wink:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
lynnejohn said:
lynne

'Facecloth' is fine and commonly used in the UK. I'd never call it a flannel.

Since I'm a geek... I carried a lot of tech stuff... I had both a flip camera and a digital camera (i loved the flip) I carried my 80g ipod and an ipod touch (handy for Skype calls when I could find wifi) A charger and mini extension cord. I also had a mini notebook computer that came in handy 1/2 the time... especially when downloading pictures/videos onto memory cards and charging everyone else's ipods. I would bring a computer again, but it might be a mac. I did get a lot of flack for the stuff.
And I brought a lot of scented wipes which I found useful in one particular alburgue when all I smelled was the toilet. I think I slept with a peppermint scented towelette over my face.
And I am soooo glad I brought my own cold medicine from the USA. I used it all.

Purell wipes. Chick-Fil-A has wipes that are smaller and lighter than the ones available in pharmacies. They are non-flushable, but strong enough for any wiping that is necessary. Individually wrapped, a couple go into my pocket, the rest are in my pack. Weight for a 30-day supply: about 6 ounces.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Flannel = facecloth = washer (Australia) = manopla or franela?? (Spain)

Haha . . . maybe needs a separate stream???? :wink:

I carry a rosary - a gift from a fellow pilgrim on completion of my first Camino.

Buen Camino,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I picnicked a lot while I was walking. After I met a Swiss couple who carried small salt and pepper shakers, I just had to buy some for myself. They made my standard cheese and tomato sandwiches feel so much more gourmet. :)

My favourite non-essentials story, though, is about Peter Coffman (who carried a crazy amount of film camera equipment) and Oliver Schroer (who carried his violin and a small portable recording studio). Oliver Schroer's album Camino (illustrated with Peter Coffman's photos), is so incredibly beautiful. I actually had a chance to interview Peter recently and write about his Camino experience. It was an amazing experience, because I've loved the album and the photos and the story for years.

Anna-Marie

I remember discovering in Spain condensed milk in a tube (toothpaste style, I'd never seen that before in the US). I could buy a baguette and, voila, lunch! (or dinner/breakfast/snack, depending on the situation).

I found Peanut Butter at a grocery store in Ponferrada. It was pure heaven to eat a PB&J sandwich!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anna-Marie said:
I picnicked a lot while I was walking. After I met a Swiss couple who carried small salt and pepper shakers, I just had to buy some for myself. They made my standard cheese and tomato sandwiches feel so much more gourmet. :)Anna-Marie
I met a French couple who also carried small salt and pepper shakers and regularly used them. They also carried quite a lot of other 'essentials' most wouldn't carry.

By all the 'rules' of packing light often expressed on this forum, they should never have made it, as their packs were rather heavy, especially the husband's. But they walked from their own home in France, a couple of weeks' walk east of Le-Puy-en-Velay, all the way to Santiago. They they walked all the way home again!

Interestingly, one of the rules they made for themselves on this long trek was that once every seven days, they should have a 'day off'. So for weeks we played this kind of 'catch-up' game where we would see them, then not see them, then see them again. Finally, after Viana, we never saw them again, and wondered if they had perhaps been forced to stop. But, via the post-Camino miracle that often seemed to happen, through modern blogs and e-mail contacts, we made contact again once they had finally reached home. It turns out they had arrived in Santiago just a day or so after us, but that was the day we had gone to Finisterre on the bus.
Margaret

I'm with those folks carrying salt and pepper.. not so much salt, definitely pepper. I just can't eat without pepper. After a couple of weeks asking for pimienta negro (is that right?) in bars and restaurants to no avail, I bought my own. Taking it with me again on this camino.

lynne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many outdoor supply firms carry small pocket two-spice containers. This could be salt and pepper. It could also be black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.

KiwiNomad06 said:
I met a French couple who also carried small salt and pepper shakers and regularly used them. They also carried quite a lot of other 'essentials' most wouldn't carry.

By all the 'rules' of packing light often expressed on this forum, they should never have made it, as their packs were rather heavy, especially the husband's. But they walked from their own home in France, a couple of weeks' walk east of Le-Puy-en-Velay, all the way to Santiago. They they walked all the way home again!

I suspect a lot of people make it who "shouldn't." I walked a fair bit with a young Canadian woman who'd been working as an au pair in London and decided to do the Camino on a whim before returning to Canada. She sent a bunch of stuff home, but stuffed anything remaining into her backpack.

So she started in SJPP, wearing jeans, with a hardcover book, a purse, a hair straightener and her hiking boots (they gave her blisters, so she wore her runners/sneakers/trainers) in her pack. And she made it to Santiago.

I'm glad your French pilgrims made it too! Their trip (there and back again) sounds amazing.

Anna-Marie

I carry a small booklet with the prayers and responses for Mass in spanish as I do not know them off by heart
Lydia

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Since I'm a geek... I carried a lot of tech stuff... I had both a flip camera and a digital camera (i loved the flip) I carried my 80g ipod and an ipod touch (handy for Skype calls when I could find wifi) A charger and mini extension cord. I also had a mini notebook computer that came in handy 1/2 the time... especially when downloading pictures/videos onto memory cards and charging everyone else's ipods. I would bring a computer again, but it might be a mac. I did get a lot of flack for the stuff.
And I brought a lot of scented wipes which I found useful in one particular alburgue when all I smelled was the toilet. I think I slept with a peppermint scented towelette over my face.
And I am soooo glad I brought my own cold medicine from the USA. I used it all.

What sort of cold medicine did you bring?

I remember discovering in Spain condensed milk in a tube (toothpaste style, I'd never seen that before in the US). I could buy a baguette and, voila, lunch! (or dinner/breakfast/snack, depending on the situation).

Are you serious?! Condensed milk in a tube? How did I miss this? I'll be on the look out for it next time.

On my first camino for sentimental reasons I carried a beloved stuffed moose!!

Not full size but as bulky as a sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I gave to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled in a stuff sack deep within the pack. Although disguised as a ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough! Ever since Mo stayed on his shelf at home and we mentally 'tweeted' as I walked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Not full size but as bulky as a sleeping bag! The moose, known as Mo, shortened from Mousse au chocolat, was a large toy which long ago I gave to my father for his 90th birthday. After my father’s death Mo came back to me. In 2004 he traveled in a stuff sack deep within the pack. Although disguised as a ‘pillow’ he was in truth my silent confidante during that first challenging camino.

We both made it to Santiago but once with a moose is enough! Ever since Mo stayed on his shelf at home and we mentally 'tweeted' as I walked.
I love your story, but if I am not mistaken, there is a huge time gap between the majority of the posts and the last three. I am smiling, because I replied to a post today without noticing it was 3 years old!

Like that!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Salt and Pepper. A couple of years ago I bought plastic lids to turn film containers into salt and pepper shakers. We used them everyday on the Camino last year. This year we want to travel as light as possible and the film shakers will probably be replaced by a much smaller one.

Attachments

• Salt film container.png
    Salt film container.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 7
  • GSI S&P.jpg
    GSI S&P.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 7
I love your story, but if I am not mistaken, there is a huge time gap between the majority of the posts and the last three. I am smiling, because I replied to a post today without noticing it was 3 years old!
That's happened several times to me, too, since Ivar redesigned the website. Now that I'm used to the new look, I've forgotten what it looked like before!

Salt and Pepper. A couple of years ago I bought plastic lids to turn film containers into salt and pepper shakers. We used them everyday on the Camino last year. This year we want to travel as light as possible and the film shakers will probably be replaced by a much smaller one.

I often have a selection of salt and pepper sachets in my pack top pocket (" borrowed from Burger King usually").

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Old thread again, but to my mind some particular non-essential is a necessity, especially on a longer Camino.

For me, it's always some complex, thick, heavy, multi-hundreds of pages and difficult Literature.

I've mentioned this before but Peg had volunteered years before to be in long-term medical study. I kidded her about walking across Spain with a three month supply of placebos. The study finished a few months ago but Peg still hasn't found out the results of the study or what group she was in.

[Edited a few days later. Peg just found out. One type of pill she took was real and the other was a placebo. It wasn't a waste. She'll have to wait awhile more to find out about the study's results.]

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I liked that story too...and only noticed the tread was an oldie when you pointed it out. Still relevant today and so love the Forum with my morning cuppa!!!

That film canister conversion is brilliant!

What sort of journal and fountain pen did you use? I'm an avid fountain pen user and keep debating about packing one with some in or just go with a rollerball.
I’m a newbie to fountain pens - next camino will be taking a TWSBI 580 (great capacity) and Lamy Joy with grey ink (and I’m tossing up taking a TWSBI with brown too. Have used junky journals in the past but will take a Hahnemuehle watercolour journal (A5 landscape) this time. When my husband joins me after two weeks he can bring another one or two if I need them. I’d send filled ones on to Santiago to pick up when I arrive.

Since a good deal of years I added to my load an apparently useless gadget, a PMR radio (similar to those used for FRS/GMRS in USA/Canada).
In the age of Wi-Fi and (nearly) ubiquitous cellular networks, a walkie-talkie could seem a piece of old junk, but I love the magic of connecting to other radio amateurs while I walk.
Of course, the Caminos are not trails into the wild, but on our mountains there are many areas not covered by the telephone networks...
In Spain the channel of the "Seguridad por radio en la montaña" is 7, subtone 7.
In Italy there is "Rete Radio Montana" with the same purpose, active on channel 8, subtone 16.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Instant freeze dried coffee bags until I’ve used them all and then I regret not packing more.

Old thread again, but to my mind some particular non-essential is a necessity, especially on a longer Camino.

For me, it's always some complex, thick, heavy, multi-hundreds of pages and difficult Literature.
I can be pretty gullible so I'm not sure if your comment is "true pilgrim" or "true joke". :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No disrespect intended. I think it's awesome that you would bring something so heavy that you enjoy reading! I grumble at even bringing my guidebook.

I’m a newbie to fountain pens - next camino will be taking a TWSBI 580 (great capacity) and Lamy Joy with grey ink (and I’m tossing up taking a TWSBI with brown too. Have used junky journals in the past but will take a Hahnemuehle watercolour journal (A5 landscape) this time. When my husband joins me after two weeks he can bring another one or two if I need them. I’d send filled ones on to Santiago to pick up when I arrive.

The guys at the pen shop near me suggested taking my TWSBI vac 700, which I love as a pen, and it make a lot of sense as it has an enormous ink capacity. I don't know if I want to take a $70 pen with me. I'm more comfortable taking an ECO or even something (like a cheap Chinese pen from ebay) I converted into an eye dropper (that way I can cary my ink in a small squeeze bottle.)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.