• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you carry an umbrella for the Camino?

Jean Ti

Do you think that an umbrella is necessary in Spain from June to September to protect you from the 🌞 SUN?

On Camino français (Messeta) and on the Via de la Plata were you have long sun exposition and no forest protection.

What is you experience on the Camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes. I found my handsfree umbrella to be very useful on the Francés when I've walked it in July/August and August/September. Especially on the Meseta.

I have the one below. It's heavier than some others, but the attachment system is superior to anything that I've tried for a regular umbrella - I'm still working on that though! I would like to take a lighter weight umbrella. I found the weight to be worth it though.

Yes. I found my handsfree umbrella to be very useful on the Francés when I've walked it in July/August and August/September. Especially on the Meseta.

I have the one below. It's heavier than some others, but the attachment system is superior to anything that I've tried for a regular umbrella - I'm still working on that though! I would like to take a lighter weight umbrella. I found the weight to be worth it though.

Interesting concept! No need to hold it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've been umbrella-curious for years. The price of the Euroschirm does give me pause, though. They used to be hard to find in the US but now I see them on Amazon.

I"m tempted to see what I can improvise with an inexpensive non-collapsible umbrella from a "euro store."

I've been umbrella-curious for years. The price of the Euroschirm does give me pause, though. They used to be hard to find in the US but now I see them on Amazon.

I"m tempted to see what I can improvise with an inexpensive non-collapsible umbrella from a "euro store."
There are lots of methods that people use for rigging up a regular umbrella.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ivar carries these umbrellas in his store. I highly recommend him … and the umbrella. 😊
Thank you. I forgot that Ivar has them. He carries the same model that I have.

Thank you. I forgot that Ivar has them. He carries the same model that I have.

I’ve bought two from Ivar; one for me and one for a friend. I used mine last week in our noonday sun 🌞 … with my poles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used the Euroschirm "professional trekking umbrella," according to the tag on the umbrella, in May and June 2018 and would not walk again without it. It's not a hands-free model, but while on the camino, I rigged up a relatively successful system to make it hands free. For my next camino, I have already gotten the Gossamer Handsfree Umbrella Clamp mentioned earlier by Trecile (https://www.gossamergear.com/products/handsfree-umbrella-clamp?variant=30282397057078), and it seems to work quite well. Note that, from what I understand, the combination of reflective outer surface and black underside (creating dark shade) of the Euroschirm is what makes the umbrella so effective on hot, sunny days.

Another bonus to carrying an umbrella: you get to make new friends as I did with a couple who had been following "that person with the umbrella way up ahead" and had spent the better part of the day wondering who in the world s/he might be. We're still in regular contact and hope to be able to walk a number of stages together on a future camino.

Remember to check the weight, regardless of whether you are going hands-free (which enables the concurrent use of two walking poles) or carrying the umbrella by hand.
I'm currently considering downsizing from a Euroschirm to a significantly lighter model from SixMoonsdesign (see Amazon US) who have 4 models from 156 to 252gms.
Weight is very important when carrying by hand as a sunshade over distance.
Umbrella weight also important in adding to the total weight one carries.
I find I can do with less waterproof, less expensive, less heavy, rain attire if also carrying an umbrella.
These days I wouldn't walk without an umbrella.
In my case, Ageism, has appeared to be the inevitable precurser of Weightism.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the Six Moon umbrella is actually made by Euroschirm with a Six Moon logo.

Here are all the Euroschirm trekking umbrellas.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I bought a cheap uv umbrella from amazon and rigged it up onto rucksack, and for summer walking it made a big difference. I didn't want to spring out for something too pricey as I have a tendency to lose umbrellas! Though I tend to be an early leaver so I tend to only pull it out getting towards 11 or noon and so tends to be the last bit of the walk. But it is good to get the hat off at that point, but found that I got frustrated with the umbrella if I was using it for a longer period. I also bring an umbrella in the other 3 seasons which helps deal with rain, and there have been days of having it up all day walking. Even here in Ireland it comes with me, because even if too windy to use while walking, it can be enough shelter to have a break, eat lunch or check a map

I prefer a cloth hat which you can easily put away and a waterproof jacket with a hood. Worked well for me in hot and in wet weather. Much easier to pack and carry. Lighter too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you think that an umbrella is necessary in Spain from June to September to protect you from the 🌞 SUN?

On Camino français (Messeta) and on the Via de la Plata were you have long sun exposition and no forest protection.

A broad-brimmed hat or a legionnaire's cap (with a detachable flap to cover the neck) might be a lot less cumbersome than an umbrella. And you are much less likely to leave it behind. Have you seen many pictures of pilgrims walking along with umbrellas?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Love my Senz umbrella - long at the back so can turn it around for maximum shade on the sunny side or cover top of backpack in the rain. 20210607_220840.jpgNot hands free but easily rigged up to be. These umbrellas are built to withstand 80 - 100km wind. I use it just as much for shade as for rain and prefer it over a hat as it is cooler around the head and shades arms/shoulders. Have just bought the euroschirm from Ivar which I'll try out on my up coming Larapinta trail E2E in August. Linda

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

No never.

Love my Senz umbrella - long at the back so can turn it around for maximum shade on the sunny side or cover top of backpack in the rain. View attachment 101982Not hands free but easily rigged up to be. These umbrellas are built to withstand 80 - 100km wind. I use it just as much for shade as for rain and prefer it over a hat as it is cooler around the head and shades arms/shoulders. Have just bought the euroschirm from Ivar which I'll try out on my up coming Larapinta trail E2E in August. Linda
Me too! Mine is silver so reflects the rays.

I've used an umbrella for walking for a very long time. I used to get very strange looks and odd comments but the walking fashion industry has caught up with me ;)

Yes, I use an umbrella in very oht conditions as well as to keep the rain off and Spain in summer can get pretty hot.

I've used a rain skirt instead of waterproof trousers for several decades too, because I hate wearing rustly waterproof trousers. The advantages of always having made bits of kit for myself.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I used a uv umbrella on stretches of vdlp and felt like a god send also works in rain, but suppose any cheap one would do.good look

It's the one thing I wished I had on the Norte- Primitivo Sept 2016

Thank you so much for the question! Living in Southern California, I use a parasol everywhere (super cheap, with UV protection), even for short jaunts, so my parasol (y paraguas) is already on my list. I really don't like hats -- they are hot. I can't imagine walking anywhere without a sun umbrella (bonus for rain protection), but I never thought about needing it to be hands-free. Thank you again!!

I carried (and used) an umbrella for two days. Then it broke so I threw it away and just went with my poncho.

I carry an umbrella for times when it is not windy. This way, my head and shoulders are protected. I find a hat can get hot but I do use the hat if windy. I have only seen one other person with an umbrella...

There are lots of methods that people use for rigging up a regular umbrella.

IT is all way to complicated for me. I may get one of those reflecting umbrellas when I get to Sevilla. If I do I will just hold it in my hand when I need it. Or maybe not. I have a good hat with that can cover my whole face and ears and neck. A whole lot easier. I don't need a video to put on a hat!! :)

This hat is really super light. You can dunk it in water and it will cool your head. Easy to wash.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not air conditioning, but portable shade!
Walking into Santo Domingo de la Calzada on an unseasonably hot day in April, I was wilting in the heat, and eternally grateful to have had my UV umbrella with me. When I put it up I was amazed to find there was actually a cool breeze blowing, only noticeable in the shade.

Yes to the umbrella! Saved me in a Pyrenees rainstorm until I could find shelter, then again on a hot afternoon walk. I hitched it to my bag for a hands free walk and received several thumbs-up reactions from locals in Rioja.

It’s not a necessity— but if you think you’d like to use one, just go for it.

The weight we choose to carry can be a burden, or it can make us stronger. Or both. It’s your camino. There isn’t a wrong answer!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a big fan of umbrellas on the Camino. However, on 5 caminos I can not recall seeing any other pilgrims carrying any. Good for the sun and even better for pouring rain on the del Norte. I have purchased 3 in Spain, from a small child's (orange, with dos elephantes) to a monster that required both hands in a strong wind. I give them away just as I board the bus to the Santiago airport (not before!). In pouring rain the umbrella lets me walk with my rain jacket unzipped for cooling, and no hat. Also, as mentioned above, it lets me consult my guidebook or device while in a downpour. I only use one trekking pole so carrying has not been an issue. This September I will be carrying the Z-pack umbrella on the de la Plata. It also clips to my pack shoulder straps for hands free use, but I have ordered extra clips to prevent bouncing. Buen Camino

I started out years ago relying on primarily a poncho for rain protection, and a bucket hat for sun protection. Over the years, I experimented with nearly everything that came along.

One lesson learned is that, when walking in the bright hot sun of Spain, a UV resistant umbrella DOES reduce the temperature underneath by about 20 degrees Fahrenheit, much in the same fashion that being in the shade of a tree will do.

While standing in the sun on the street in Santiago, when working as a volunteer in the summer, I would frequently use my Euroschirm umbrella. It works.

On the other hand, the problem with "hands-free" umbrellas is the effort you need to go through to make it ride correctly when you are using it with hiking poles. Mine seems to bounce all over the place. Also, when road-walking, I would frequently have to readjust the umbrella whenever a truck or bus passed me. It liked to flip inside-out.

To make my point, in 2018, starting the Camino de Invierno one morning, I was walking with a fellow from the Netherlands. It started to drizzle, and I began the 5 minute process of mounting my Euroschirm umbrella on my rucksack harness.

As I was playing with this, my Dutch friend reached back and pulled a red Totes umbrella from his rucksack side-pocket. It took him one moment to snap it open, and a second to wedge it in his sternum strap, with the shaft resting on his shoulder. Voila, in maybe 10 seconds he was protected from the rain.

Clearly, this is not a solution for heavy rain or a windy, driving rain. But, then, no one uses an umbrella anyway.

More years of research led me to a solution for still weather sun and rain - a lightweight UV resistant GOLF umbrella in neon Yellow (safety for road walking). When not used, it rides in a side rucksack mesh pocket. When deployed, it gets shoved in my sternum strap. The long shaft has a hand loop, that is secured with a nylon cord that I wrap around my rucksack waist belt. This applies a downward force to keep the shaft more or less vertical and resting on my shoulder. Simple but effective. The long umbrella shaft appears to be the critical factor.

The key is to find an umbrella that works for YOU. Choose the appropriate diameter, dome height, number of ribs (wind resistance), UV resistance, and color. In the end I found my best solution in Decathlon. But remember, this is a GOLF umbrella, not a trekking umbrella. SO, I went to the GOLF department.

My personal solution for heavy rain or rain and wind continues to be a Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon poncho. I long-ago Super-Glued the snaps so they would not easily come apart in the wind. I just suck up the fact that I am going to sweat like a pig in the poncho.

To keep vision good, I find that a baseball type cap is best. It keeps the water off my eyeglasses and does not allow rain to run down my back. If you wear a bucket-style cap under a poncho hood, the rim acts as a 'gutter' to channel water around the back and down your neck.

If walking on a dry day, with bright hot sun, then a Tilley or bucket style cap remains the best, at least IMHO. Don't forget a Buff. On a brutally hot sunny day - like on the Meseta - wet it, then wear it on your head, or around your neck to aid in cooling through evaporation.

Bottom line, when on Camino, I carry a baseball cap, bucket cap, S2S very lightweight poncho and a Decathlon GOLF umbrella. It works for me.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I started out years ago relying on primarily a poncho for rain protection, and a bucket hat for sun protection. Over the years, I experimented with nearly everything that came along.

One lesson learned is that, when walking in the bright hot sun of Spain, a UV resistant umbrella DOES reduce the temperature underneath by about 20 degrees Fahrenheit, much in the same fashion that being in the shade of a tree will do.

While standing in the sun on the street in Santiago, when working as a volunteer in the summer, I would frequently use my Euroschirm umbrella. It works.

On the other hand, the problem with "hands-free" umbrellas is the effort you need to go through to make it ride correctly when you are using it with hiking poles. Mine seems to bounce all over the place. Also, when road-walking, I would frequently have to readjust the umbrella whenever a truck or bus passed me. It liked to flip inside-out.

To make my point, in 2018, starting the Camino de Invierno one morning, I was walking with a fellow from the Netherlands. It started to drizzle, and I began the 5 minute process of mounting my Euroschirm umbrella on my rucksack harness.

As I was playing with this, my Dutch friend reached back and pulled a red Totes umbrella from his rucksack side-pocket. It took him one moment to snap it open, and a second to wedge it in his sternum strap, with the shaft resting on his shoulder. Voila, in maybe 10 seconds he was protected from the rain.

Clearly, this is not a solution for heavy rain or a windy, driving rain. But, then, no one uses an umbrella anyway.

More years of research led me to a solution for still weather sun and rain - a lightweight UV resistant GOLF umbrella in neon Yellow (safety for road walking). When not used, it rides in a side rucksack mesh pocket. When deployed, it gets shoved in my sternum strap. The long shaft has a hand loop, that is secured with a nylon cord that I wrap around my rucksack waist belt. This applies a downward force to keep the shaft more or less vertical and resting on my shoulder. Simple but effective. The long umbrella shaft appears to be the critical factor.

The key is to find an umbrella that works for YOU. Choose the appropriate diameter, dome height, number of ribs (wind resistance), UV resistance, and color. In the end I found my best solution in Decathlon. But remember, this is a GOLF umbrella, not a trekking umbrella. SO, I went to the GOLF department.

My personal solution for heavy rain or rain and wind continues to be a Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon poncho. I long-ago Super-Glued the snaps so they would not easily come apart in the wind. I just suck up the fact that I am going to sweat like a pig in the poncho.

To keep vision good, I find that a baseball type cap is best. It keeps the water off my eyeglasses and does not allow rain to run down my back. If you wear a bucket-style cap under a poncho hood, the rim acts as a 'gutter' to channel water around the back and down your neck.

If walking on a dry day, with bright hot sun, then a Tilley or bucket style cap remains the best, at least IMHO. Don't forget a Buff. On a brutally hot sunny day - like on the Meseta - wet it, then wear it on your head, or around your neck to aid in cooling through evaporation.

Bottom line, when on Camino, I carry a baseball cap, bucket cap, S2S very lightweight poncho and a Decathlon GOLF umbrella. It works for me.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Nice well thought out post

I have already purchased one and will be on my next Camino.

An essential bit of kit for me. I use a hand held uv telescopic brolly that I bought for the Shikoku. Didn't use it there but always have it for hot days in the UK and always for a Camino.
I find it cooler than a hat and saves on sun block.
They are still a rarity on the CF and I was stopped heading to Carrion by pilgrims who asked to take my picture!

Attachments

• 20190430_145802.jpg
    20190430_145802.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No, it is just more weight to carry. Get a quality, light poncho and a wide brimmed hat. Remember weight is the most important thing on The Camino and water is heavy enough.

Yes, hands free, perfect rain or shine :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

No, not necessary.

Plenty of interesting replies some showing that they can be useful, others giving alternatives.
If you do get one then get one that will last the distance and not blow inside out at the first decent gust of wind.
Oh, and consider the weight versus the alternatives.

I carry a sheemagh which allows me to pretend to go for the Lawrence of Arabia type look. It can also be used as a towel, sarong, scarf, folded to sit on, a shopping bag. In fact it is probably the most versatile bits of equipment I carry.

Word of warning: an ordinary umbrella will not provide any relief from the heat of the sun; you will need an umbrella with UV protection, which you will get from a Euroschirm umbrella. Ivar carries these umbrellas in his store. I highly recommend him … and the umbrella. 😊
Though getting one of the specially designed ones with reflective treatment is superior, it is not the case the an ordinary one doesn't provide any relief from the heat. (I don't know about UV, but since I wear a hat, I have that additional protection.) I have measured temperatures by sticking a thermometer under my ordinary one, special ones, and just out with no shading. I carried an ordinary one (collapsible) for years (about 6.5 oz.), now I have Six Moons Designs (6.5). My criteria for an ordinary one was that it have 8 ribs and be lightweight. I'm just putting this out there because if someone loses their umbrella, etc. at least they can have some heat protection.

Love my Senz umbrella - long at the back so can turn it around for maximum shade on the sunny side or cover top of backpack in the rain. View attachment 101982Not hands free but easily rigged up to be. These umbrellas are built to withstand 80 - 100km wind. I use it just as much for shade as for rain and prefer it over a hat as it is cooler around the head and shades arms/shoulders. Have just bought the euroschirm from Ivar which I'll try out on my up coming Larapinta trail E2E in August. Linda
I spent a fortune on a wind proof , UV umbrella and it only took one rain, gale and hurricane force winds on the Portugués Camino to turn me into a kite. In Santiago at the gift store at San Martin found a beautiful 5€ umbrella that I’m still using. Only out in the rain and sun and no wind.

Me too! Mine is silver so reflects the rays.
I bought the blue one in Burghos - the only one they had. It's full length. That day walking into Villafranca del Bierzo among the grape vines was about 38 degrees or more - a local emergency services truck came along checking that the pilgrims were ok and gave out extra bottles of water. Much appreciated and felt like people were looking out for us. I bought the silver collapsible one for my Le Puy camino but it has had a hard life since then and pretty much worn out now. Umbrellas are not so common on camino but you certainly get smiles and nods of approval from the locals 😊

@Kanga can you remind me how you rig up your umbrella?
These days I use a special umbrella clamp that attaches to the front of the shoulder strap of my pack. One comes with the Euroschirm Hands Free which is a great umbrella but I found it very heavy and it eventually broke. I then tried to cannibalise the Euroshirm umbrella clamp to use with a Helinox umbrella but found the clamp too wide for the shaft of the Helinox. The Helinox is very light and very strong. After some searching and a suggestion from @Dave I bought the umbrella clamp from Gossamer Gear here and it fits the Helinox (Gossamer Gear sells an umbrella too, but I already had the Helinox). So - method 1 - umbrella clamp and the cord from the umbrella handle pulled down and tied to the waist band of my pack.
Method 2 is to thread the shaft of the umbrella down through the top carrying handle of your backpack (most backpacks have a small carrying loop at the top) and then over the front of one shoulder, and then secure the bottom of the shaft somehow - with a bungee cord or similar. That method works well but does place some pressure on your shoulder.
Hope that provides some ideas. I've experimented with other things but the above methods seem to work best.
Edited to add - a longish roll of thin velcro to wrap around the umbrella shaft to front of pack shoulder strap also works!

I did and it saved me!! The heat and I don't get along and having my umbrella made me feel so SMART!

Yes, I carried an umbrella on the Via de la Plata (I walked it in June) and it was a life saver. There is no shade for many, many kms. An absolute must Imo!
Camino francés? I am not taking one this year, maybe I’ll regret it. Yes, if you can, it’s useful for the sun and the rain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought the blue one in Burghos - the only one they had. It's full length. That day walking into Villafranca del Bierzo among the grape vines was about 38 degrees or more - a local emergency services truck came along checking that the pilgrims were ok and gave out extra bottles of water. Much appreciated and felt like people were looking out for us. I bought the silver collapsible one for my Le Puy camino but it has had a hard life since then and pretty much worn out now. Umbrellas are not so common on camino but you certainly get smiles and nods of approval from the locals 😊
My silver one was starting to show wear and tear on the folds too. I contacted Senz and asked what they thought about spraying it. They obviously wouldn't commit to approving it but said good luck!
I bought some silver fabric spray paint and gave it three light coatings and it looks as good as new.

These days I use a special umbrella clamp that attaches to the front of the shoulder strap of my pack. One comes with the Euroschirm Hands Free which is a great umbrella but I found it very heavy and it eventually broke. I then tried to cannibalise the Euroshirm umbrella clamp to use with a Helinox umbrella but found the clamp too wide for the shaft of the Helinox. The Helinox is very light and very strong. After some searching and a suggestion from @Dave I bought the umbrella clamp from Gossamer Gear here and it fits the Helinox (Gossamer Gear sells an umbrella too, but I already had the Helinox). So - method 1 - umbrella clamp and the cord from the umbrella handle pulled down and tied to the waist band of my pack.
Method 2 is to thread the shaft of the umbrella down through the top carrying handle of your backpack (most backpacks have a small carrying loop at the top) and then over the front of one shoulder, and then secure the bottom of the shaft somehow - with a bungee cord or similar. That method works well but does place some pressure on your shoulder.
Hope that provides some ideas. I've experimented with other things but the above methods seem to work best.
Edited to add - a longish roll of thin velcro to wrap around the umbrella shaft to front of pack shoulder strap also works!
You can get little plastic clips that are intended to hold the drinking tube of a hydration system in place and slip easily onto a pack's webbing. I found they were the perfect size for my "brolly". I'd post photos but the pack is up in the loft.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can get little plastic clips that are intended to hold the drinking tube of a hydration system in place and slip easily onto a pack's webbing. I found they were the perfect size for my "brolly". I'd post photos but the pack is up in the loft.
Sounds like another good solution.

No, I have a hat with vents and a wide brim that does the protection. On the Ingles in '19, I had to shield my face with a bandana on the way to Bruma.

It all boils down to: If you are afraid of the weather-STAY HOME on your porch. No sun, no rain, no mud, no blisters, no Spanish coffee, and NO Camino de Santiago EXPERIENCE!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It all boils down to: If you are afraid of the weather-STAY HOME on your porch. No sun, no rain, no mud, no blisters, no Spanish coffee, and NO Camino de Santiago EXPERIENCE!!!
I don't think that anyone has said that they are afraid of the weather. Just looking for the best way to mitigate its effects.

Please people 🙂 correct me if you disagree but … I’m uneasy with the Via de la Plata being assimilated to the CF (weather-wise). Even during a heatwave on the CF (Summer 2012 springs to mind), the heat isn’t comparable…In Andalucia and Extremadura, it ‘envelops’ you, it is unrelenting, even at night. Imo, an umbrella on the CF is a nice thing to have, in the Summer months. On the Via de la Plata, again in Summer, it is life-saving!!!
i am just writing this for people who haven’t walked either. 🙂

I do not walk in the heat of summer, so although I carry a cheapie Tote umbrella, I only use it in drizzle or light rain as it often keeps me from having to take my backpack off to take out my rain jacket. I also use only one hiking pole (although I bring two) so I have never minded holding my lightweight umbrella in the other hand.

Last edited:

No, extra weight.

Many of us, myself included, must take prescription medication that makes us more sensitive to the sun, heat, and or humidity. This partially explains the need for portable - mobile shade. The umbrella fills that need. It is not right for every person.

As an aside, when I go for walks of several km near my Florida home, I do not carry the umbrella. I found that a very broad-brimmed "beachcomber" style straw hat, with a pull string to keep it on in the wind worked as well. I also drink a lot of water and hydration drinks.

But, for those of us who must have shade while walking on a Camino, will are able to have shade. There are many, many alternatives for UV resistant umbrellas. We know it means carrying extra weight. But, needs - must.

BTW - I offset the weight increase by cutting my clothing load from; worn, plus two shirt and undergarment replacement changes to one. That reduced the weight by nearly a kilo - I am still a big guy. Using only quick-drying fabrics for shirts and undergarments, and wool cushion outer socks seems to be the key there.

Personally, as regards umbrellas, I advise a bright color for when you are walking on a road, or for cloudy, poor visibility days. I like the neon yellow/green universal safety color. My golf umbrella from Decathlon has a silver underside. However, any color that creates a stark contrast for an oncoming driver will ensure you are seen. I have given light blue, yellow, red, and white umbrellas to friends leaving from Santiago to walk.

I am reminded of something I read decades ago in an automobile magazine. It detailed a scientific study performed either by Volvo or Mercedes Benz (it WAS a long time ago). The object of he study was to determine the most visible automobile paint color in all weather conditions. I recall this was during the early 1970s, when insanely bright car colors were all the rage - I had a 1971 'Clementine Orange' VW Beetle. - but I digress.

The finding, and it surprised everyone at the time, was that a bright white car was most easily seen in all weather conditions. These conditions included snow falling in northern Europe - go figure.

This is one reason - living in Florida being the other - why EVERY car I have bought or leased for the past 12 years has been white. As I got older, as did many of he other drivers I was sharing the roads with, I wanted to be sure I was seen.

Plus, in Florida, there is the heat issue. The only colors to keep your car cool enough to touch after being parked outside are white and light silver. Sorry, I am digressing again - I HAVE REALLY MISSED being on the forum. Must contain my enthusiasm.

Bottom line, choose the umbrella color, size and shaft length that works for you.

I hope this helps - despite my childish, so thrilled to be back, wandering all over the place.

Ultreia,

Tom

I have not carried an umbrella on my Caminos. I regret my son and I not taking hands-free umbrellas on the Camino Frances when we walked it in July and August. I think it would have vastly improved his experience. I would recommend it to others.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I usually walk in winter so an umbrella is a must for me but it also protects you from the sun in sunnier seasons but i've never used one then, preferring a large hat instead.

I used one on the Norte in 2018, where I experienced rain and 80+ degree weather in July and August. It really came in handy (No pun intended) and I would never do another Camino without one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I respectfully disagree. Concerns about the weather on the Camino can certainly be valid. There have been a number of weather-related deaths on the Camino that anyone who has read the forum for any length of time is aware of, whether they are winter deaths on the Camino Frances over the Pyrenees or summer deaths on the Via de la Plata. To encourage people ignore weather risks is irresponsible. To encourage people to stay home is against the principles and purpose of the forum. Encouraging people to respond appropriately to mitigate risks and improve their experience is valid and to be ecnouraged.

In my opinion, at least.

VDLP in May/June 2017 was HOT ( ! ), with bad fires beginning in Portugal and eventually on the Sanabrés. I passed through the Sanabrés before the fires entered, thankfully. I walked many days in 33°-35° heat with little shade and I was grateful for my silverUV Euroschirm that trecile brings attention to. I will always pack my trekking umbrella from here on out. I'm also wearing bicycle sleeves that are very easy to slip on and off - they're designed for sun protection as well.

I would choose to walk VDLP in April/May next time...

E umbrella 1.JPGE umbrella 2.JPG

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did carry my EuroSchirm teleScope handsfree UV Regenschirm (umbrella) in 2019 on the CF. I never had to use it. I simply had perfect weather - no rain, lots of sun, but temperatures around 22 - 26 °C. No need for an umbrella.

The heat wave arrived at the Meseta, when I was crossing the border to Galicia, perfect temperatures as well, no rain again :cool:: So I did not need my umbrella at all, carried all the weight all the way unneccessarily.

To get me right: I'm not complaining at all, having had such perfect conditions 🌞. But I was indeed asking myself after my Camino whether I will take my umbrella with me the next time. But reading all this, I guess: I will pack my trekking umbrella next time again ;) even though I might carry it, without having to use it (hopefully!).

I did carry my EuroSchirm teleScope handsfree UV Regenschirm (umbrella) in 2019 on the CF. I never had to use it. I simply had perfect weather - no rain, lots of sun, but temperatures around 22 - 26 °C. No need for an umbrella.

The heat wave arrived at the Meseta, when I was crossing the border to Galicia, perfect temperatures as well, no rain again :cool:: So I did not need my umbrella at all, carried all the weight all the way unneccessarily.
I mostly use my umbrella for sun protection on the types of days that you describe!

I mostly use my umbrella for sun protection on the types of days that you describe!
Why? Temperature was perfect, neither hot, nor cold.

In the mornings I used a scarf, when the rather cold wind was blowing.

I have a broad-brimmed hat.

I wear long sleeves and long trousers. (Were I to wear shorts I might be confused with a large grey heron...or egret.)

Sunscreen for if I feel a burn coming on.

Sunglasses in the event of a dazzling background from afternoon sun. Used typically (and rarely) in the fall when bright, brown, shiny grain stalks are in front of me.

Umbrella? Nope, that weighs a lot more...

B

If you chose the hat over the umbrella for sun protection, do away with the pesky chin strap. On windy days you will develop an uncanny ability to know when your hat is about to fly off of your head, but you will never develop the ability to stop it just in time.

I've just bought this exact model from Euroshirm with the silver reflective fabric. I haven't used it yet on a Camino, but if everything goes to plan I'll be using it on the Meseta in September. I have attached it to my backpack, just to try it out, and it seems robust, comfortable to wear, and easy to use. The whole concept just makes sense to me for both sun and rain. I'm just not sure how it will fare in windy conditions, but I'm pretty sure it will be okay. I'll be trading my heavy poncho for light rain gear and leaving my broad sun hat at home. I'm glad to hear that you have had a good experience with it.

I have a broad-brimmed hat.

I wear long sleeves and long trousers. (Were I to wear shorts I might be confused with a large grey heron...or egret.)

Sunscreen for if I feel a burn coming on.

Sunglasses in the event of a dazzling background from afternoon sun. Used typically (and rarely) in the fall when bright, brown, shiny grain stalks are in front of me.

Umbrella? Nope, that weighs a lot more...

B
If you wait to feel the burn, it's too late. Best put the cream on when you start for the day...

This conversation makes feel uneasy as I left England about 2 weeks ago (when it was 2 deg in the morning!!!) without my wonderful Euroschirm umbrella. ‘Nah, won’t need it!’.
I plan on walking the francés, in June. Now I am in Alicante, it is only 27 or 28 deg and I am suffocating with my mask on, even without a backpack lol
The temperatures are much higher in other parts of Spain, and yes, on the francés. My advice is, take that umbrella!!! I wish I had 😉

What about this for the ultimate in hands free umbrellas. 😂😁
Yup, been there, done that, looked silly. This was less effective in my comparison than a very wide brim "Beachcomber" style straw hat.

In fact, I wrote the "Definitive Post" (tongue-in-cheek, but very informative) about Hats and Shade about two-years ago. Here is a link to that post:

To my credit, my recent serious illness contributed to a 40 pound - 18 kg weight loss from the photos here. So, there is a lot less of me to laugh at.

Hope this helps.

Tom

€46,-
I've had several days of rain, off and on, on the del Norte, and I can tell you that the best decision I made was to bring an umbrella. A rain jacket or poncho will get you so far, but when it is really pouring, you are going to get drenched, no matter what. If you add an umbrella to that, you have additional protection, but the main thing is that when it is not a full-on downpour or storm, an umbrella works better than anything else to keep you and your stuff dry. The convenience of being able to pull out an umbrella from a side pocket and open it in two seconds beats having to put a pack down (in the rain), find a poncho or jacket, put it on, but the pack back on, etc. Next time, I'm bringing a big ass golf umbrella (and a porter to carry it.)

€46,-
The convenience of being able to pull out an umbrella from a side pocket and open it in two seconds beats having to put a pack down (in the rain), find a poncho or jacket, put it on, but the pack back on, etc.
Agree 100%!

Next time, I'm bringing a big ass golf umbrella (and a porter to carry it.)
Hilarious! 😅

€46,-

Definitely. Used against really bad sun a number of times. Stick your hand out from under it and the temp-difference is amazing. Like walking under your own tree. I used GoLitely trekking umbrella -silver outside, black inside. I travel really light but wouldn.t be without this.

Definitely. Used against really bad sun a number of times. Stick your hand out from under it and the temp-difference is amazing. Like walking under your own tree. I used GoLitely trekking umbrella -silver outside, black inside. I travel really light but wouldn.t be without this.
P.s. name was Go lite. Company changed or morphed into chrome dome? The point is, i found it indispensable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I couldn't agree more with this statement..

Amen. That was a surprise to me. I wore a full brim sun hat for the first time last fall and noticed the interference. So I bought a super light baseball cap by Salomon in an outdoor store, I think in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. I also carry a superlight umbrella for both rain and shine, so really did not need the sun hat. Buen Camino
Can I ask what umbrella you use... I am thinking of getting one for the VDLP this April

I use the Zpacks Lotus UL Umbrella. 6.8 oz and $44.95. It attaches to your shoulder straps with the "Umbrella Holster" 0.21 oz and $5.95. But it's not a holster, but a small plastic clip and a tie bungee lower down. But order two "holsters" and clip them to your shoulder strap, one above the other and then tie them securely with fine (nylon) twine. Then put a dab of glue or silicon or Aquaseal on the twine so it does not untie. Lots of stress on it. With just one "holster" (clip) the umbrella tends to bounce around more. I wish you a Buen Camino Via de la Plata. I was planning on walking it last fall but a medical issue made me decide I needed to walk shorter stages and carry less water. Voila! Ivar's forum showed me the Camino Frances was not crowded last year. Stars aligned. "The Camino provides." It was my chance to enjoy the Frances. Delightful. The VLDP is still on my bucket list. Buen Camino

ps. I think Ivar also sells a lightweight umbrella and his shipping times to the US are only 2 -3 weeks. Sometimes Zpacks takes longer.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use the Zpacks Lotus UL Umbrella. 6.8 oz and $44.95. It attaches to your shoulder straps with the "Umbrella Holster" 0.21 oz and $5.95. But it's not a holster, but a small plastic clip and a tie bungee lower down. But order two "holsters" and clip them to your shoulder strap, one above the other and then tie them securely with fine (nylon) twine. Then put a dab of glue or silicon or Aquaseal on the twine so it does not untie. Lots of stress on it. With just one "holster" (clip) the umbrella tends to bounce around more. I wish you a Buen Camino Via de la Plata. I was planning on walking it last fall but a medical issue made me decide I needed to walk shorter stages and carry less water. Voila! Ivar's forum showed me the Camino Frances was not crowded last year. Stars aligned. "The Camino provides." It was my chance to enjoy the Frances. Delightful. The VLDP is still on my bucket list. Buen Camino

ps. I think Ivar also sells a lightweight umbrella and his shipping times to the US are only 2 -3 weeks. Sometimes Zpacks takes longer.
Thank you so much for your informative answer. I will look into that one. I've heard good things about Zpacks in general. Great you were able to walk the Frances and hopefully one day the VDLP. I'll let folks now how my walk goes. Regards, mary

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.