• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you get a Compostela if you take the boat to Padron?

brault-singh

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sept/Oct 2015
CP Sept/Oct 2022
We’ve read that if you take the boat on the VE to Padron you will not receive a Compostella even if you’ve started way back - such as in Coimbra as we are planning…

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You still receive the Compostela if you have walked the required distance (starting at or before Vigo or Tui). I have taken the boat twice and received the Compostela both times.
Nick is right as long as in the last 100k you get your two stamps a day(get one on the boat) the boat will count as part of your Camino and you get your Compostela!

Makes sense really, who would take the boat; if for example like me, you started in Porto or further down like the OP from Coimbra that taking the boat would mean no Compostela you wouldn't take it!!

When I got the boat last year it was almost full and that was on October 8th (150 pilgrim capacity)and i imagine we all wanted the Compostela!
Woody

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Norte is full of ferry shuttles and even a train ride where they don't want you walking across the railroad tracks. (All very short segments) and you still get the Compostela. As long as you are walking the rest I don't see that it would be an issue. Plus - no one asks "did you take a ferry or train"?

My family and I walked from Vigo in May this year with the boat to Padrón and we got our Compostelas!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Norte is full of ferry shuttles and even a train ride where they don't want you walking across the railroad tracks. (All very short segments) and you still get the Compostela. As long as you are walking the rest I don't see that it would be an issue. Plus - no one asks "did you take a ferry or train"?
The difference is is the ferries and trains are well before the final 100 km of the Norte.

The difference is is the ferries and trains are well before the final 100 km of the Norte.
Can anyone tell me whether I need to do the 100k all at one time?
For example, can I walk half one year and the remainder the following year and still be eligible for the Compestella at the end? Time and physical restraints!

Can anyone tell me whether I need to do the 100k all at one time?
For example, can I walk half one year and the remainder the following year and still be eligible for the Compestella at the end? Time and physical restraints!
You can take as long as you want. It's quite common for people to do the Camino in stages over a number of years.

The only requirement for a Compostela is that you walk (or ride a horse) the final 100 km into Santiago, or ride a bike the final 200 km. And during those last 100 km you need to have two stamps per day in your credential.

If you are not completing the last 100 km in one trip you should get a new stamp in the same place that you left off to show continuity.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can take as long as you want. It's quite common for people to do the Camino in stages over a number of years.

The only requirement for a Compostela is that you walk (or ride a horse) the final 100 km into Santiago, or ride a bike the final 200 km. And during those last 100 km you need to have two stamps per day in your credential.

If you are not completing the last 100 km in one trip you should get a new stamp in the same place that you left off to show continuity.
Thank you so much for that response, I have wanted to walk these ways for quite some time (and indeed hopefully more than the final 100k) but I've always been under the impression that it has to be completed at one 'sitting' so to speak. Knowing that THIS isn't the case has given me great joy, thank you.

Thank you so much for that response, I have wanted to walk these ways for quite some time (and indeed hopefully more than the final 100k) but I've always been under the impression that it has to be completed at one 'sitting' so to speak. Knowing that THIS isn't the case has given me great joy, thank you.
I have met many pilgrims that go for a week or two every year uktil they complete the Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We completed the Portuguese Camino last Sunday, from Lisbon. We did the Espiritual variant including the boat trip (28km) from Villanueva de Arousa to Pontecesures.

When I sought my compostela the volunteers asked me what we had done, casually looked through my credencials (2.5 books) then gave me the Compostela and distance certificate. The boat wasn't mentioned though he did say the Espiritual Variant was not an official route, which DID surprise me as I thought it was.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back