• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you have any advice for potential flight disruption?

• Thread starter Former member 108819
  • Start date
F

Former member 108819

Hi, I am from the US, and this will be my first trip overseas. I grew up really poor, and I never thought I would be able to go to another country. Well I’m doing well now! I’m excited to try the Camino del Norte for 30 days.

My flight is scheduled Sunday on WestJet. I have to connect in London and then to Madrid. Unfortunately I just got an email that WestJet pilots are going on a labor strike May 19 - May 21.

I support people being paid fairly. I’m very hopeful the pilots can get the accommodations they need. Whenever people strike, to me it’s a serious signal that something is wrong.

However I’m really worried my flight will be cancelled. It would mess up my connecting flight in London, as well as my first few days of stays I have pre-booked for the Camino.

It’s possible this is a “normal thing,” and I will be okay. But I am a little anxious. Do you have any advice? Should I try to buy another ticket just in case? It seems expensive.

Is there anything I can do?

Perhaps I just need some commiseration. I imagine it will work out but I’m nervous because it is my first big trip. It may go wrong. Thank you for any advice!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pilots seem to be threatening a strike everywhere. American Airlines pilots threatening here. Pilots threatening in Spain, too. You cannot control this just as you can't control many other things once you get on the Camino. In the end, it will all make a great story to add to your adventure although it is a hassle at the time.

The company will have to do something to take care of you even if they cancel your flight. What did your email say? Did it give you any other options? Do you have trip insurance that will cover things if you get stranded somewhere?

Just know we're all cheering you on no matter what happens. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you both! Unfortunately I am not on a through ticket because I bought on an Expedia type site, and it doesn’t have any protection except through the airline.

I just checked but the travel insurance (through credit card) doesn’t offer protection for cancellations or disruptions. 🫠

WestJet is guaranteeing a $0 change fee and full refunds if flights are impacted. But it doesn’t seem to address the fact that flights are way more expensive now. I booked several months ago.

It’s also seems if WestJet is cancelled I’m still on the hook for the London > Madrid flight.

Portland > Canada (WestJet) > London > Madrid (EasyJet)

I probably messed up by getting this through multiple airlines. I’m trying to look at this positively as you said, but I feel like I need to take proactive steps — I just don’t know what!

I’d start investigating alternative Portland-London flight options (and even Portland-Madrid options). Unfortunately, Westjet is unlikely to actually cancel your flight until the last possible moment, leaving you on tenderhooks and it’s a gamble about whether you could be stuck with two tickets to London.

Is your London-Madrid flight a cheap one (like with Ryanair) or with a regular airline where you might be able to change the ticket?

What camino are you planning to walk? That might open up the destination airports to watch for deals.

Hi

Sorry to hear about getting caught in an airline dispute and potential strike.

I know nothing about West Jet airlines? With a strike looming they may already be willing to issue refunds to customers which will likely take a month or so to get. But confirm they will issue refund now if you so choose. But don’t cancel yet if they will do so.

Then Go to Skyscanner.com.
Put in Depart Portland to London…(gatwick) see what fares are available. This may help to save the second fare cost.

Then put in Portland to Spain. It will then give you fares to anywhere in Spain…. See what’s available, timing, pricing, etc. Always book the lowest fare you can find with the airline directly!

Your camino preparation is underway! Stay the course. Do not be deterred. We are all routing for you. Let us know what you decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all.

I checked flights on SkyScanner but the ones that would keep my itinerary in tact are all flown by … WestJet! Oh boy. The others are quite expensive now. I think it’s because I’m in the Pacific Northwest.

I called WestJet just now, and they said if it is cancelled they will provide a flight even on another airline.

It seems the worst case scenario is I will lose my EasyJet flight (London to Madrid) and possibly the first ~2 nights of my stay bc I reserved AirBnb in Madrid and a hostel in Irun and San Sebastián. I am hiking the Camino del Norte. I wanted to see Madrid before I began… this would be a loss of ~some hundreds of dollars so that would not be great.

I wish this weren’t so rocky but I’m trying to hang in there. I think I will just have to wait to what happens with this strike. I just want to be walking, not flying!

Thank you all very much for the well wishes and advice. It helps! ❤️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you all.

I checked flights on SkyScanner but the ones that would keep my itinerary in tact are all flown by … WestJet! Oh boy. The others are quite expensive now. I think it’s because I’m in the Pacific Northwest.

I called WestJet just now, and they said if it is cancelled they will provide a flight even on another airline.

It seems the worst case scenario is I will lose my EasyJet flight (London to Madrid) and possibly the first ~2 nights of my stay bc I reserved AirBnb in Madrid and a hostel in Irun and San Sebastián. I am hiking the Camino del Norte. I wanted to see Madrid before I began… this would be a loss of ~some hundreds of dollars so that would not be great.

I wish this weren’t so rocky but I’m trying to hang in there. I think I will just have to wait to what happens with this strike. I just want to be walking, not flying!

Thank you all very much for the well wishes and advice. It helps! ❤️
Air travel to Spain this year is more than twice what we paid last year to fly in the summer.

You might wanttolook at at less well known airlines. Condor airlineswhichis a subsidinary of Lufthansa flies from Portland. You might have to change in Germany, but it would be worth exploring. Condor.com

Please forgive my jadedness, but I sincerely doubt that if there is a strike, Your current airline will get you on a flight in a timely fashion. The skies are just too crowded. Do as much research as you can in advance. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst…

Last edited:
This stuff gets expensive. A couple of things suggested above can help, especially booking the entire flight through one airline. I was all set with a flight out of Santiago to Madrid on Iberia and a flight to the States from MAD on American. American changed the flight, so the non refundable Iberia flight was toast.
The other thing that’s become pretty important these days is a layover that provides a cushion in the event something happens with the prior flight. I have begun planning flights with up to four hours layover. In two recent instances I’ve had to run to my gate even with long layovers because of maintenance (or other) problems with the previous flight.
Air travel is changing. If they make a change that starts dominoes falling they should have to pay.
Good luck with your planning, and buen Camino when you get there.
All the best,
Paul

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you’re concerned that you might be delayed I’d consider reviewing your bookings for Madrid, Irun and San Seb; can they be cancelled without charge? If so - I would. All three are big cities with lots of choice. Alternate bookings may be more expensive; but if you had lost the originals as a no-show …

Everyone learns through experience, but multi-stage international flights should be on one ticket, unless you allow for a huge layover or can afford to write the ticket off..

Yes I think my rookie experience at travel is making this situation worse.

The bookings in Madrid, Irún, and San Sebastián can be cancelled until tomorrow without fees.

Meanwhile WestJet has no idea if the strike will actually impact my flight. So I have to be in limbo until Sunday.

Option 1. Rebook with Icelandair and pay $400 more out of pocket vs my current tickets. Refund with WestJet. Arrive in Madrid on time though extremely jet lagged as I will have 5 hours of sleep before flying to San Sebastián to begin walking. Will not require changing any hotel or hostels.

Option 2. Wait to see if the pilots strike.
a.) No strike: my anxiety was all for nothing and my trip continues on as planned. I lose no money.
b.) Strike: WestJet reimburses for the delay + finds a new flight for me. I lose all the hotels/hostels unless I cancel by tomorrow. Potential loss is $250.

I really feel unlucky! Both options cost me about the same amount of money. The first carries less risk. I think I should do option 1.

If luck is preparation meeting opportunity, I suppose unluck is lack of preparation meeting adversity..?

Live and learn indeed.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You’ve done nothing wrong and nine times out of ten all the separately booked flights with short connections turn out fine; but when they don’t the liability rests with you.

Many posters on here recently want to guarantee that their carefully researched arrangements will go like clockwork, and that’s understandable.

After your few reserved nights you’ll be figuring it out as you go - and it’ll be fine. However; your overnights with greatest flexibility are actually in the first three places you plan to stay, so if you can shed the risk of being stuck with paid-for but unused rooms, that’s what I would do.

There doesn’t seem to be a no-cost no-uncertainty option unfortunately.

I appreciate this space to run through my options and anxieties though. The different advice helps. I consider myself a bit illiterate at travel, but I am a fast learner. This has been a learning experience!

I think I found a solution to make me feel less stressed.

I booked an Icelandair flight through my credit card portal which allows cancellation up to 3 hours before the flight for a full refund. I will keep this ticket as a backup, and cancel it if WestJet doesn’t strike. It did cost me $400 more than my original ticket so it’s not worth it if the WestJet flight is okay. I would also need to adjust the flight to Madrid.

But if WestJet does strike, I have this backup ready and I will ask for a full refund, and ask if they will cover the cost of the Icelandair upgrade.

In either situation I don’t need to cancel my reservations in Madrid, Irún, San Sebastián. Whew.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A year and a half ago I had an flight issue with American Airlines leaving Madrid for JFK with a transfer to Alaska Air to Seattle. Since the MAD/JFK flight had touched down IN EUROPE, it was bound by European law to make restitution. @Kathar1na was a big help with the law in Europe. Perhaps she will see this and verify.

IF it is still the same, and IF you are out-of-pocket due to WestJet's issue, you can contact https://www.flightright.com/ and they will help by contacting WestJet to reimburse you.

Their website is easy to navigate. Two months and a couple of clarification emails later, I received a message from Flightright that "we" had succeeded, and that they would send my compensation from American Airlines in Euros. It worked - easily and very professionally.

Good luck, and Buen Camino!

Mods - if this is inappropriate, please feel free to delete...

Pilots seem to be threatening a strike everywhere. American Airlines pilots threatening here. Pilots threatening in Spain, too. You cannot control this just as you can't control many other things once you get on the Camino. In the end, it will all make a great story to add to your adventure although it is a hassle at the time.

The company will have to do something to take care of you even if they cancel your flight. What did your email say? Did it give you any other options? Do you have trip insurance that will cover things if you get stranded somewhere?

Just know we're all cheering you on no matter what happens. Buen Camino!
My flight from Houston to Newark yesterday was delayed because the flight attendants did not show up. My connection to Porto was impossible and had to reboot for today. But i could not retrieve my backpack so. Had a bad night wondering what if I get to Porto with no backpack. Missed my hotel reservation and was unable to find one this morning for tomorrow. Anyway. Lessons learned! I checked my backpack because of my walking poles. They could not go on the plane. Anyway...i am waiting in Newark to get my evening flight to Porto hoping to arrive with my backpack tomorrow morning. United assured me it will be with me in this flight. I am keeping my hopes high. If all goes well I will start my Camino day after tomorrow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My flight from Houston to Newark yesterday was delayed because the flight attendants did not show up. My connection to Porto was impossible and had to reboot for today. But i could not retrieve my backpack so. Had a bad night wondering what if I get to Porto with no backpack. Missed my hotel reservation and was unable to find one this morning for tomorrow. Anyway. Lessons learned! I checked my backpack because of my walking poles. They could not go on the plane. Anyway...i am waiting in Newark to get my evening flight to Porto hoping to arrive with my backpack tomorrow morning. United assured me it will be with me in this flight. I am keeping my hopes high. If all goes well I will start my Camino day after tomorrow.
Yes, you will get there. Air travel is a mess.

Hi, I am from the US, and this will be my first trip overseas. I grew up really poor, and I never thought I would be able to go to another country. Well I’m doing well now! I’m excited to try the Camino del Norte for 30 days.

My flight is scheduled Sunday on WestJet. I have to connect in London and then to Madrid. Unfortunately I just got an email that WestJet pilots are going on a labor strike May 19 - May 21.

I support people being paid fairly. I’m very hopeful the pilots can get the accommodations they need. Whenever people strike, to me it’s a serious signal that something is wrong.

However I’m really worried my flight will be cancelled. It would mess up my connecting flight in London, as well as my first few days of stays I have pre-booked for the Camino.

It’s possible this is a “normal thing,” and I will be okay. But I am a little anxious. Do you have any advice? Should I try to buy another ticket just in case? It seems expensive.

Perhaps I just need some commiseration. I imagine it will work out but I’m nervous because it is my first big trip. It may go wrong. Thank you for any advice!
Im in Eugene and have a couple of possible solutions-- (email address removed by moderator - contact other members via private conversation by clicking on their name)

I booked an Icelandair flight through my credit card portal which allows cancellation up to 3 hours before the flight for a full refund. I will keep this ticket as a backup, and cancel it if WestJet doesn’t strike. It did cost me $400 more than my original ticket so it’s not worth it if the WestJet flight is okay. I would also need to adjust the flight to Madrid.

But if WestJet does strike, I have this backup ready and I will ask for a full refund, and ask if they will cover the cost of the Icelandair upgrade.
Sounds like a plan! Here's another local-ish story; this seems to recommend just what you're doing.

I'm in Vancouver; this is a Victoria story, so pretty much the same situation that would apply here.

Best of luck!

Most of you will not have heard of WestJet; however, it's either the second- or third-largest airline in Canada: more domestic and winter-flights-south flights than to Europe.

I just encountered a similar kind of nightmare with a trip I had booked from Lisbon to SdC via Madrid next month. It seemed simple enough at the time and I did something I normally don't do, I used a travel aggregator, My Trip. Over the weekend Ryanair notified that they were cancelling my reservation from Madrid to SdC. I was able to rebook with them on the next day but then getting my reservation changed on Air Europa turned into a total frustration with the service people at My Trip. Finally after numerous calls and very long hold times I was able to book a new flight from Lisbon to Madrid on Air Europa. I am not going to go through this ever again. You must be vigilant about your bookings and very persistent when the airline arbitrarily cancel you out of the blue.

Just to add my 5-pennies worth (pretty much with agreement to what others said) - this is more of a "for the future"
  1. ALWAYS book a full through ticket with 1 airline. They may use planes that belong to some of their partners but as far as you are concerned - its all done with your 'original' airline. Sometimes coming from US you might even get an 'unexpected benefit'. My wife and our niece were flying from Philadelphia to Dublin and then to London. The trip was booked on USAir (IIRC) but the DUB-LHR was on AirLingus. AL was adamant that there will be a luggage fee for checked-in lugggage and the girls were pretty much resolved to pay whatever had to be paid. It turned out that since they did come from US on USAir - everything was 'rolled-in' and no extra fees materialized.
  2. ALWAYS get a "real" travel insurance (esp. flying across the pond and such) and do not rely on the credit card so-called 'protection'. Looking up my CapitalOne Venture benefits - its pretty much offers "assistance' with a clear stipulation in bold that All costs are Your responsibility. There are many threads on this Forum dedicated to various travel insurance topics but the short of it is - most of us would not even DREAM to set out without one. The cost is quite negligible considering stuff overall.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

I hear you. Anymore its hard to.prebook anything because of flight directions. Usually no recourse unless you have travel insurance. We've missed a connection due to flight delays and had to forfit and rebook another flight. Not fun.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Different subject, but are you planning on taking the hilltop route out of Irun or the original highway route? We took the hilltop route and it was continuous spectacular views of the coast nearly all the way to Pasaia. I've heard the highway route is on the backside of the mountains and misses the views.

Here's a news article about cancelling flights or not if you're booked on WestJet. https://globalnews.ca/news/9702049/westjet-strike-flight-cancellation-offers/

Also buyer beware of booking on WestJet due to their plummeting reputation since last December. Pilots or other flight crew not showing up (legitimate reason or not) and flights unable to fly. Last minute cancelled flights for passengers checking in at the airport.

Different subject, but are you planning on taking the hilltop route out of Irun or the original highway route? We took the hilltop route and it was continuous spectacular views of the coast nearly all the way to Pasaia. I've heard the highway route is on the backside of the mountains and misses the views.

I will opt for the hilltop route!

Same for any beach path alternatives. Definitely prefer the scenic route — even if it takes a bit longer ☺️

Thank you both! Unfortunately I am not on a through ticket because I bought on an Expedia type site, and it doesn’t have any protection except through the airline.

I just checked but the travel insurance (through credit card) doesn’t offer protection for cancellations or disruptions. 🫠

WestJet is guaranteeing a $0 change fee and full refunds if flights are impacted. But it doesn’t seem to address the fact that flights are way more expensive now. I booked several months ago.

It’s also seems if WestJet is cancelled I’m still on the hook for the London > Madrid flight.

Portland > Canada (WestJet) > London > Madrid (EasyJet)

I probably messed up by getting this through multiple airlines. I’m trying to look at this positively as you said, but I feel like I need to take proactive steps — I just don’t know what!
Unfortunately, I suspect you don't travel a lot. You have 2 big no-no's:
1. You can look on Expedia, Travelocity, or other sites but NEVER book through them. It can be hard to get through to them for help.
2. NEVER, EVER use 2 different airlines unless you absolutely must.
If you are cancelled, you must notify the other airline before take off, or you lose out on whatever you paid. And consider, if possible, moving the trip 3 or more months out--late September?--to get a cheaper price.

Just remember that in a few months time you’ll only remember the amazing adventure of your first overseas trip and Camino, and the extra few hundred dollars or missed days in Madrid due to a delay (if these things even actually eventuate) will be either long forgotten, or become a now funny story or will pale in comparison to the overall experience. The biggest thing the Camino and overseas travel in general will teach you is how to be flexible and how to trust, you are relying on many many strangers, many who don’t speak your own language, to feed, house and transport you from A to B. Things are bound to not go to plan, just like normal life.
I’ve been travelling overseas for 15 years across 42 countries … spoiler it ALWAYS works out, just maybe not the way you exactly planned or on the exact timeframe, but often better.

I have just read all the advice and tips. My heart is warmed but so many caring people and their many offers of encouragement. This is a lovely way to start my morning! My girlfriends and I are walking the end of August through September and this site has been so helpful! Thank you all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not what the OP wants to hear, but West Jet has already parked a lot of their fleet and is cancelling flights in preparation of the pilot strike that will start at 5am Friday. Hopefully intricate has found another flight. https://globalnews.ca/news/9707983/westjet-strike-cancellations/

Yes it’s looking bleak. I got a backup flight but I’m still hoping WestJet doesn’t cancel me bc it cost a lot more money and it would make me get to Madrid very late 🫠

Thanks again for the well wishes. I will update once I make it to Europe one way or another!

To the op: I have been on holiday from replying or liking or hating any posts for the last ten days or so. I take this opportunity to wish you well with your travelling.
I also want to say, one of your last posts on the thread you asked to be closed rings a bit odd to me, given the excellent response you have had on this thread. The old cranks are coming up very well in my view.
Don't believe Reddit. Or anyof the other "Indicators" of what is good in whichever context.
Just ask people, and there of course you will get a kaleidoscope of replies - ask, you get what you ask for!
All the best. And try duckduckgo as a welcome change from google. 😇
Edit:
I promise, every word is my own. Insofar as anyone owns anything learned from real people. 😁

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It seems the worst case scenario is I will lose my EasyJet flight (London to Madrid) and possibly the first ~2 nights of my stay bc I reserved AirBnb in Madrid and a hostel in Irun and San Sebastián.
That's good news. You may be able to cancel the AirBnB etc bookings as well if you give more than 24 hrs notice. I know how you feel, our flight home from Japan was cancelled at 6 hrs notice. It is a real pain when that happens. but it looks like you will get to Spain one way or another. Once you are on your camino this will slowly disappear in the rear-view mirror.

Last edited:

Inform yourself if you can get a refund? or if the airline will provide alternative means of transport? Check flights leaving the day prior to your planned departure date. If you should arrive a day late, try to plan alternatives from trains as you could take a train to Paris and then one to Biarritz or to other planes as Europe as many cheap flights.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back