• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you have to pay for a Pilgrims Passport

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: DO YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A PILGRIMS PASSPORT?

The Pilgrims' Passport issued by the Cathedral in Santiago cost 0.75€ when purchased from the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. The Office supplies albergues and Amigos organisations with Passports and they sometimes place a small administrative charge on top - you should pay no more than 1 or 2€.

In some countries the local organisations such as Confraternities produce their own Passport which is accepted by the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago. Prices vary - some ask that you join them before they will issue a Passport, others will provide a passport for a fee.

See this page for further information: http://www.csj.org.uk/how-to-get-a-credencial.htm

You may also get a passport at http://www.mundicamino.com

Many pilgrims worry about getting a passport before they leave for Spain - this is not essential as they are readily available in albergues along the routes.

Regards

John

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hello, Jane

I ordered a credential from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims a couple of months before I went to Spain last September. The credential cost $5 Canadian.

There's room for 74 stamps in the credential but it soon became clear that I was going to run out of space! I enjoyed collecting interesting sellos along the way, in addition to stamps from the albergues I stayed at (like the stamp from the chocolate museum in Astorga, for example).

When I got to the albergue in Rabanal I asked about getting a new credential to see me the rest of the way along the Camino. I was able to obtain one there at the albergue for 1€. I began using the second credential when I reached the monastery in Samos, and the pilgrim's office in Santiago stamped both credentials with its official sello.

I think it's fun to have "two kinds" of credentials from my first Camino. Next time I may travel to Spain with two credentials to begin with (if I decide I want two Canadian ones, anyway).

Before I asked in Rabanal, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get a second credential, especially along the way, but it was no problem. The hospitalero in Rabanal stamped the new one and dated it for me, and I was all set to go.

All the best,

Rachel

I believe I paid around 6 Euros for mine in Bordeaux, France, at the tourist office in the train station back in 2007... :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Peterborough Pilgims to Santiago issue Cathedral issued credentials for nothing. A stamped address envelop is all that is needed. If you want to send a contribution to their work that is great, but it is really up to you!

If you start from St Jean Pied de Port, you can get the Pilgrims Passport from the Pilgrims Office there. There is enough room for 54 stamps. The cost is 1 Euro, but if you make a donation of 1 Euro extra, they will also give you a scallop shell, which almost every pilgrim fixes to the back of their pack. The Pilgrims Office is open everyday all year from 0730 to 1200 and 1330 to 2100, except Fridays and Sundays when it doesn't close until 22.30 after the arrival of the last train. This information came by email from the Pilgrims Office in Feb 2011. You can get as many passports as you walk along the Camino. Camino-David

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi, can anyone confirm if the info on this thread (2011) is still current? Can you get a pilgrim's passport at most/all albergues and the pilgrim office at SJPP? And what is the cost?
Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Even if your credential has enough space to hold all the stamps you may want to get two. When you have used up all the space on side one of credential one start using side two of credential two. Later you can display both in a frame and see all your stamps at once.

Even if your credential has enough space to hold all the stamps you may want to get two. When you have used up all the space on side one of credential one start using side two of credential two. Later you can display both in a frame and see all your stamps at once.

Which is exactly what I did in re my first Camino. And every time I see them, framed, on my office wall, I smile.

Which is exactly what I did in re my first Camino. And every time I see them, framed, on my office wall, I smile.
I hope you were luckier with your framing than I was. My very first credential is in a very nice frame, but all the stamps have faded, many to nothing. I think there is a way to protect them with some special glass, but it´s too late for me.

Hi, can anyone confirm if the info on this thread (2011) is still current? Can you get a pilgrim's passport at most/all albergues and the pilgrim office at SJPP? And what is the cost?
Thanks
Wow Toby, welcome back to the forum. Last seen in 2009. Where you been? 😀
Credencials are as always available in St Jean, or from Ivar’s shop here on the forum. The cost? Now that can be severe. Beware the distant gaze of the perpetual Peregrino 😉

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back