• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you keep in touch? Or are you incommmunicado?

I for one am not offended. Those of us in the "NOT a serious thread" club, love nonsense. I meant to say 'thread' because we are not a clique...anyone can join, but you must first pass a test of ten questions, then our leaders assemble for a meeting to discuss who gets admitted. No siree, no clique at all.
This is getting serious. What thread is this again? I forgot. 🤔🤔

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Actually, and slightly off topic, I understood that Ivar enabled FULL EMOJI SUPPORT on the forum. That means, to me at least, that if I paste an emoji from my laptop or iPhone, it will appear here.

Let's have a go... What follows is a test of the 'Camino Forum Emoji System (CFES)'...if this were an actual emergency, you would have been directed to bend over and kiss your #@# goodbye... LOL!

Me in South Florida = 😎(smiley with sunglasses)

I am at the 🤠bar... (smiley with cowboy hat)

Aqua no-potable! ☠️ (Skull & crossbones)

Peace 🙏 (Namaste - hands)

He/she is gone with the 🧚‍♀️🧚🏾‍♂️(fairies (2))...

Wear good 🥾(boots)

Let us know if you can see the emoji symbol (from my Macbook).

Hope this helps...
I don't see the boots on this Surface Pro.

I wrote to Ivar to ask him about the issue. The ball is in his court. The discrepancies might be software, as in operating system, dependent. I am generating the emojis on an Apple Macbook, it possible that your Microsoft operating system, or other non-Apple (iOS) operating systems cannot replicate the full emoji set.

In any event, it is not the end of the world... I hope...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ivar has weighed in, above. The bottom and last line on Emojis is that, if your device does not support the full unicode set of emojis, you will not see some or all of the emojis.

So, the issue, such as it is lies on your end. Sorry.

Check to see you have the most current version of your operating system and ask your device's manufacturer about full unicode emoji support. They might have something that will help.

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Regarding emoji support the answer is provided by Ivar, above. Bottom line, if your device supports the full unicode emoji and character sets, you should be able to see everything. If your device does not support this, then you might not be able to see everything.

I suggest you check your device is updated to the most recent operating system update / version. If this does not do it, check with your device's support folks to ask if there is anything that can be done to provide extended or full unicode support.

Hope this helps.

I’ve been reflecting on this ..... I think what I should have said is that the young man had more issues than I.
Yes, I had drafted a response along these lines, but decided not to post it. It was something like this:

Yes, all of us have issues, but some more than others. When we encounter someone who obviously has more issues and less ability to cope with them, we need to recognize if it is something beyond simple rudeness or lack of consideration (that we might be justifiably annoyed about) and is a true inability to cope. In the latter case, extra tolerance is appropriate.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the title of this thread should be changed to: "Do you keep in touch with emoji?" :)

On the substance of the thread - for me the extent of communication is a matter of consideration for others. When I was young I caused my parents great anxiety and upset because I did not write to them for months at a time. Now I realise that was very cruel, and unkind, and I regret it.

I think the title of this thread should be changed to: "Do you keep in touch with emoji?" :)
Ha, Kanga! You've given the ultimate answer to how to minimize time online while walking.
Leave a glossary for the specific camino meaning of selected emojis with loved ones - and just send those.;)

I can just see it:
🎪😒🍺 (It was a circus in the albergue last night. Enough already. Today I'm chilling out alone.)
🥩🍗🍖🥓!🤔🔜🥗😥 (Carne, carne, carne! I think if I don't find a decent salad soon I will lose it.)
🏳🚁 (I surrender. Send my helicopter.)
😊🏃‍♀️.🛬? (Having a great time. Maybe I will run away to the Camino. Forever. When can you get here?)
☔⚡🗺(The weather could be better and I need a decent map - where am I and what the heck was I thinking?)
🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷👮‍♂️👩‍⚕️ (A bit too much vino tinto last night. A nice man brought me here and the nurse is very nice, too.)
💸💸 (Send more money.)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ha, Kanga! You've given the ultimate answer to how to minimize time online while walking.
Leave a glossary for the specific camino meaning of selected emojis with loved ones - and just send those.;)

I can just see it:
🎪😒🍺 (It was a circus in the albergue last night. Enough already. Today I'm chilling out alone.)
🥩🍗🍖🥓!🤔🔜🥗😥 (Carne, carne, carne! I think if I don't find a decent salad soon I will lose it.)
😊🏃‍♀️.🛬? (Having a great time. Maybe I will run away to the Camino. Forever. When can you get here?)
☔⚡🗺(The weather could be better and I need a decent map - where am I and what the heck was I thinking?)
🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷👮‍♂️👩‍⚕️ (A bit too much vino tinto last night. A nice man brought me here and the nurse is very nice.)
💸💸 (Send more money.)
Vnwalking, that was worth spending time on, and a million times more fun than the kind of code writing kids learn to stretch the (very) grey matter!

I think FaceBook Messenger has really taken over from all of these now..........live calls, video calls.........
Fb messenger really eats the data and your battery, what’s app doesn’t seem so bad. It does video, voice as well, and is also owned by fb

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I post on Facebook almost everyday. It does not require me to have direct contact ( pictures worth many words) and uploads quickly. If need be we do use FaceTime to chat with family but not often. Also have local cell for emergency calls.

I can just see it:
🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷👮‍♂️👩‍⚕️ (A bit too much vino tinto last night. A nice man brought me here and the nurse is very nice, too.)
💸💸 (Send more money.)
So clever and so funny!

As a child and young adult living in Europe calls back to the US were very expensive. We wrote letters. Even on my deployment to Germany in 2002 I got a letter from my Grandmother every week. Friends in my unit would ask me to read them aloud because they seldom received mail.

Now when on the Camino, like Robo , I try to cut the cord with work, but I do let friends and relatives know how things are going with a blog. We still mail postcards to Grandkids (who marvel at the old school nature of mail) and to Mom (who has collected postcards for 70 years).

It is a very individual decision on contact. My husband has been in Spain over a month now and we talk daily. I'll join him in midDec, but until then I am living vicariously through him.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loved the fact that I was hard(er) to contact during my Camino last April.

- I left my South African sim card at home and bought a Spanish one. That way I immediately disconnected from all of those noisy Whatsapp groups one tend to belong to. Only close family and a few friends had my new number and all of them understood that I would love to be out of contact as much as possible.

- I also started a blog which was more of a diary for myself but my close family also had the link so they could check on my progress daily without directly contacting me.

- Lastly I created a Camino only email address and asked someone to change the passwords to my Facebook and Twitter for me so that I couldn't access those while walking.

I loved my mostly unconnected Camino and wouldn't do it any other way. While I was in Spain, I was in Spain and nowhere else.

I do not have FB, twitter, instagram, or whatsapp(it has groups?)
I do use texting, hangouts(family only), and have email. And I also have an extra email account for my Caminos. I form a group of family and friends on it and use it to blog to them and it becomes my own journal. When I return home I put my posts in a Word document and print it out for myself. A very outdated, antiquitated approach, but it works for me.

On our camino we kept in touch with something like a blog but I do not intend to do so again.

I determined that for ease of use for us (not having to learn anything new, like blog software) and for our audience (why require them to signup with Facebook) we would stick to email. My internet provider had a featured email list program. The way this worked was people interested in our trip sent a signup request message to an email account and they were added to a list (another message could sign them out.) Other email sent to the account got forwarded to all who were signed up.

So this was easy for us; we sent email to just one account and those who got bored could get off the list easy.

Another advantage to this method is that someone at home would add notes about places visited and update maps, freeing us from that job.

A disadvantage is that no matter how many times we added to our report that comments should be sent to our personal email only someone would be making a comment like "Sounds wonderful" to the list account and this would get sent to everyone on the list.

Off topic a bit now. We created an email account for the camino like hisname.hername@example.com that we could both read and this was intended for mail to either both of us or either one of us when the sender really didn't care which one of us saw it. We later created another account where the names were switched. That is used for businesses to send mail to us. This way we still get the mail from friends who got the name order wrong but it helps us separate personal from business mail. We each have an account under our own names too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back