• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you know this dog ?

Vitor Ferreira

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese central route -2017,2018
Caminho Francês - 2018-2021
Today, between Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Belorado, more precisely between Redecilla del Camino and Belorado we met this lady dog. Have anyone of you met her too ?
I am just asking for curiosity because i love animals. She followed us almost until Belorado,waiting for us when we lag behind. She is probably used to follow other pilgrims as well.

So you have met her ? :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_082933.jpg
    IMG_20190629_082933.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20190629_082904.jpg
    IMG_20190629_082904.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 102
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It must be the friendly dog stage! We also did Santo Domingo to Belorado today. We didn’t meet your pup but these critters were the welcoming committee for my daughter in Castildelgado.

View attachment 60199
Nice to know ! It was actually before Castildelgado that we met her ;) and i also met the dark coloured dog in the photo, it was barking to her :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This has happened to me too. Back in 2003 we were accompanied by a German Shepherd all the way to Castrojeriz. We tried to shoo him away but to no avail and got quite worried until we were told he did it every day - picked on some pilgrims and "guide" them. His owner would drive up to Castrojeriz every evening and collect him.
Anybody else remember Bruno Bernie? Sadly somebody put out poisoned meat (presumably for stray dogs) and he died.

Edit: memories are strange things - his name was Bernie and he live in Castrojeriz (according to my journal)

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm sure some kindly, dog-loving pilgrim gave him or her a treat or two, thereby reinforcing in the dog's mind that all pilgrims are good for a tasty treat. Just like Pavlov's bell.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Today, between Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Belorado, more precisely between Redecilla del Camino and Belorado we met this lady dog. Have anyone of you met her too ?
I am just asking for curiosity because i love animals. She followed us almost until Belorado,waiting for us when we lag behind. She is probably used to follow other pilgrims as well.

So you have met her ? :)
Yes followed us in theLe Puy walk. His legs mst be getting shorter Jojo

Note for Jeff Crawley.
In 2002 my daughter and her companion were honoured to accompany Bernie for the day. Here's an excerpt from her diary.
After sleeping very well we walked for 9km to the next town for breakfast. It was a fantastic little bar in Castrojeriz. It had the yummiest tortilla in Espana, funky Latino music, internet and best of all, a very fine pooch. I saw this German Shepherd sitting outside the back door shivering and I said to the owner that he looked cold. The owner let him in and he was so friendly, he ran around very excited and we had a great time playing with him. The owner showed me pictures of this dog, Bernie, in a book about the Camino, Bernie was famous! Apparently he walks along the Camino with pilgrims quite often. We thought the owner was telling us we could take Bernie to Boadilla and he would come by later in his car and pick him up. We couldn’t believe our luck, after jokingly asking people if we could take their dog with us, finally we could! The owner gave us two apples for our walk and said hasta luego. Off we went with Bernie in tow. We were so lucky to have him, we weren’t paying attention to where we were going and Bernie would patiently wait at the turn off. We threw sticks which he would chase happily and bring back. We walked through a small town, Itero del Castello, where lots of old men knew Bernie and stopped to chat. We discovered that Bernie didn’t walk the Camino every day so we felt extra special.
The next small town, Itero de la Vega, was an option to stay at. My feet and legs were hurting me so I felt like stopping but the place was horrible. There was one bar that didn’t serve food and the atmosphere was very hostile, the only shop that sold anything was closed and didn’t open for an hour and a half. I was positive that the friendly man who kept telling us when the shop opened actually owned the place and felt like asking him if he could open up just for us. We left town and trudged another 8.4km to Boadilla. I was pretty much in a lot of pain so for the first time, after many offers, I swapped packs with Maggie. It was amazing how much easier it was to walk without a bag hanging down against my bum.
To our delight, the hostel in Boadilla was lovely. We rocked up with Bernie and his owner was already there. I think he’d been waiting a while due to his jolly nature and glass in hand. He ushered us in, sat us down and bought us a drink. Forget sangria, forget tinto de verano, I have found my favourite Spanish drink – pacharan. You drink it in a tall glass with ice or in shot form. It has anise, which I don’t normally like but this is yummy. It instantly warmed our insides and made us relaxed. We were extremely sorry to say goodbye to Bernie but we felt so privileged to have been the ‘chosen ones’ for that day.

Note for Jeff Crawley.
In 2002 my daughter and her companion were honoured to accompany Bernie for the day. Here's an excerpt from her diary.
After sleeping very well we walked for 9km to the next town for breakfast. It was a fantastic little bar in Castrojeriz. It had the yummiest tortilla in Espana, funky Latino music, internet and best of all, a very fine pooch. I saw this German Shepherd sitting outside the back door shivering and I said to the owner that he looked cold. The owner let him in and he was so friendly, he ran around very excited and we had a great time playing with him. The owner showed me pictures of this dog, Bernie, in a book about the Camino, Bernie was famous! Apparently he walks along the Camino with pilgrims quite often. We thought the owner was telling us we could take Bernie to Boadilla and he would come by later in his car and pick him up. We couldn’t believe our luck, after jokingly asking people if we could take their dog with us, finally we could! The owner gave us two apples for our walk and said hasta luego. Off we went with Bernie in tow. We were so lucky to have him, we weren’t paying attention to where we were going and Bernie would patiently wait at the turn off. We threw sticks which he would chase happily and bring back. We walked through a small town, Itero del Castello, where lots of old men knew Bernie and stopped to chat. We discovered that Bernie didn’t walk the Camino every day so we felt extra special.
The next small town, Itero de la Vega, was an option to stay at. My feet and legs were hurting me so I felt like stopping but the place was horrible. There was one bar that didn’t serve food and the atmosphere was very hostile, the only shop that sold anything was closed and didn’t open for an hour and a half. I was positive that the friendly man who kept telling us when the shop opened actually owned the place and felt like asking him if he could open up just for us. We left town and trudged another 8.4km to Boadilla. I was pretty much in a lot of pain so for the first time, after many offers, I swapped packs with Maggie. It was amazing how much easier it was to walk without a bag hanging down against my bum.
To our delight, the hostel in Boadilla was lovely. We rocked up with Bernie and his owner was already there. I think he’d been waiting a while due to his jolly nature and glass in hand. He ushered us in, sat us down and bought us a drink. Forget sangria, forget tinto de verano, I have found my favourite Spanish drink – pacharan. You drink it in a tall glass with ice or in shot form. It has anise, which I don’t normally like but this is yummy. It instantly warmed our insides and made us relaxed. We were extremely sorry to say goodbye to Bernie but we felt so privileged to have been the ‘chosen ones’ for that day.
Thanks to you and your daughter for sharing the memory. Next time I sip a glass of pacharan I shall toast you both 🥃

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I take it like the basques: in a small glass from the freezer, and likewise the liquid. Home made. Arriba, abajo, al centro, y a dentro...
To mis-quote: "I love the smell of warm pacharan in the morning . . . . it smells like . . . Galloways!"

(Apologies to the OP for the hijack of a splendid post)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.