• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you like the Mike Wells book?

senora1

I ordered and just received it, planning to start my Camino in 3 weeks. I am a little disappointed and wondering if this book was helpful for other bicigrinos.? I have walked the Camino and want to ride it where it’s possible but without a mountain bike. It seems his book is either a guide to riding the Camino as a peregrino or riding on the highways. It doesn’t offer any suggestions where I may be better off on the road. If I wanted to ride the entire Camino on the road I certainly didn’t need to buy a book. Can anyone advise me where I definitely don’t want to ride a road bike. Alto de Perdon and Molinaseca comes to mind but it’s been 7 years since I walked
Please and thanks you!!!.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I ordered and just received it, planning to start my Camino in 3 weeks. I am a little disappointed and wondering if this book was helpful for other bicigrinos.? I have walked the Camino and want to ride it where it’s possible but without a mountain bike. It seems his book is either a guide to riding the Camino as a peregrino or riding on the highways. It doesn’t offer any suggestions where I may be better off on the road. If I wanted to ride the entire Camino on the road I certainly didn’t need to buy a book. Can anyone advise me where I definitely don’t want to ride a road bike. Alto de Perdon and Molinaseca comes to mind but it’s been 7 years since I walked
Please and thanks you!!!.

Can you provide a link to this book? I do not know the author (in fact never heard of him). I have cycled the Frances (from Pamplona back in 2015) and walked from St Jean in May/June 2017. If you can provide the link I am prepared to review some of it.
If you speak more than passable French there is (or was) an excellent cyclist guide book that does advise the sections of the Way you can ride and the sections it advises you to detour and ride the roads. If I can dig it out of its hiding place I will provide a name and ISBN No.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can you provide a link to this book? I do not know the author (in fact never heard of him). I have cycled the Frances (from Pamplona back in 2015) and walked from St Jean in May/June 2017. If you can provide the link I am prepared to review some of it.
If you speak more than passable French there is (or was) an excellent cyclist guide book that does advise the sections of the Way you can ride and the sections it advises you to detour and ride the roads. If I can dig it out of its hiding place I will provide a name and ISBN No.
Hi St Mike the iSBN # is 978–85284-969-6
I found it on Amazon, but like I mentioned I would like to ride the Camino where I can on the hybrid bike I am renting, and save the road riding for the parts that are too steep-rocky. Unfortunately my French is very limited so I don’t know if your book would help me, but if you have any advice I would appreciate it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Hi Senora 1, have you completely ruled out using an MTB & just taking the trails as they come? It would remove a lot of the need for planning.

Hi @senora1 If you search back (to 2015 = Nov/Dec) you should see my report on my cycling the Frances. Your comments about the Alto del Perdon and the descent from Cruz de Fero to Molinaseca are close to the mark. I will attempt to find my posts and report back with a link.
I started from Pamplona with the aim of trying to follow the walkers but after a day and half (about 5 -10 km west of Puenta la Reina) I moved over to the road (Spanish Route N111). From Viana to Atapuerca I followed the pilgrim trail, there was some walking especially if the track was narrow and or crowded. The Meseta was OK, but a diversion around the climb west of Castrojeriz is better unless you really fit,.
There is another Camino Book - the Michelin Guide to the Camino. Its maps are basic but it has better local road info: route names/numbers and I will try to find a link to it also. Cheers for now.:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Senora 1, have you completely ruled out using an MTB & just taking the trails as they come? It would remove a lot of the need for planning.
Yes I definitely don’t want a mountain bike. I have booked a hybrid thru Camino-rentals. I am wondering if I use google maps will it show the best roads, if I enter cities by bike, and otherwise follow the Camino where I can?

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked several caminos since 2013 and am hoping to experience the Primitivo in September. Recently I have developed a nasty intermittent pain in the ball of my feet, especially the left...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back