• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you like to look at packing lists?

Sally Forester

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: (May-June 2016)
Norte/Primitivo: (May-June 2017)
Are you the type that likes to look at packing lists? I know I do! I would love to hear your thoughts about mine. I'll be walking May 9- June 16th. I've heard to prepare for anything! Cold/Hot/Rain

I'm about 3 pounds over where I would like to be and am thinking that some of the electronics have got to go. But would love to hear of any tricks you did to shave weight. Have at it! :)

Attachments

• Camino packing weight.pdf
    204.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like packing lists! Had a quick look at yours now and the first things I would take out are the blinking lights (no need) and the head phones (you have ear plugs for sleeping and iPod for music). I am a metric girl though so ounces mean very little to me, but those things seem unnecessary. I brought a Kindle for reading before bed and for travel, but could easily do without it, or download the Kindle app to your iPhone and save the weight. Lose these things and you save 26+ ounces (about half of what you aim to lose unless I am mistaken). That would be a start.

By the way, I have the same pack in the 30 litre version and love it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Sally! The best way I find to shave weight is to take less stuff ;). So... going through your list there are some little things you could probably live without like the pole bag, spork, carbiners, arm sleeves, over door hook (rarely have a door to yourself if you're staying in a hostel!). Given that you're going in May/ June you could probably get away with either the fleece or the down jacket but probably wouldn't need both. You could take the fleece and layer on shirts and rain jacket for any cold mornings/ nights. Duplication causes weight so either the head lamp or the key chain light, the earplugs or the Boze. After a few days you'll thank yourself if you've ditched the heavier items.

Now take this with a grain of salt as it's coming from a Luddite, but I'd cut the Kindle, ipod nano and camera and use the iphone for all of it. Also, as nidarosa questioned, if the Tevas are second shoes maybe consider a lighter option. In general, try to have everything have at least two uses - sarongs are great for this! If in doubt leave it out is my motto! Happy packing!

I don't think you will need both a fleece and a down jacket. I would say ditch one.
Don't think you'll need blinking lights for your backpack.
You could probably ditch the traveler sheet, too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you the type that likes to look at packing lists? I know I do! I would love to hear your thoughts about mine. I'm about 3 pounds over where I would like to be and am thinking that some of the electronics have got to go. But would love to hear of any tricks you did to shave weight. Have at it! :)

I'm rather brutal about weight - stick your list into a spreadsheet, sort it by weight and then start chopping at the heaviest tiems

Five major weight savings I noted:
  1. Eliminating the Bose noise cancelling earphones will save almost 1 lb.
  2. Eliminating either the tights or the merino long johns will save almost 1/2 lb.
  3. Eliminating either the fleece pullover or the down jacket will save from 1/3 to 2/3 lb.
  4. Eliminating the Camelback and just using basic water bottles will save 1/2 lb to 2/3 lb.
  5. The iPod, Kindle, and camera are duplicative of things your iPhone does. Selective elimination could save anywhere from a couple ounces to over 2 lbs.
Then, there's lots of little things that are arguable, such as don't use the door hook, use a 9 gram "micro" Photon LED light instead of a 45 gram keychain light, a smaller towel, etc. These could easily net you another 1/2 lb of savings, but could require extra costs to regear that may not make sense.

Set against that, I didn't see what time of year, so #2 and #3 above may make more sense if walking in colder seasons. Also, depending on the accessibility of you pack's side pockets, the convenience of the Camelback may trump the extra weight.

I love to look at packing lists - if they are posted as a post here on the forum. As I am walking myself just now it is difficult for me to look at a pdf, copy and paste it here into the forum and then add my remarks, sorry. To get the best feedback it is really the best to put your packing list directly in a forum post.

Buen Camino, SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don't think you'll need blinking lights for your backpack.
You could probably ditch the traveler sheet, too.
The blinking lights make sense if walking alongside roads in inclement weather. At roughly an ounce, that's a lot of insurance for not a lot of weight. Personally, I'd keep them, unless the headlamp also supports blinking mode.

The sheet makes sense given that she's using a quilt and not a sleeping bag. I use a quilt too, and a DIY Tyvek fabric sheet that I've treated with permethrin. I wouldn't want to sleep directly on many of the mattresses I encountered, even fully clothed.

Headlamps are great for hiking and camping after dark. When worn in albergues as you move around they flash their light everywhere and everywhere includes the eyes of people who are trying to sleep. If you are not planning to hike in the dark and already have a small flashlight consider using that in place of the headlamp and keychain light. If you do bring the headlamp when inside please hold it as a flashlight and maybe even hold your fingers over the bulb to cut down on the light. If you pack ahead in the evening it won't be inconvenient for too long. Either with a flashlight or headlamp I don't think you'll miss the keychain light.

Another possibility is to use a USB charged battery pack that includes a light. Charge it when you get to an albergue and then use that to charge electronics at night in your sleeping bag. That keeps them safe when being charged and you have a light handy at night.

Too funny! I only saw page 1 and had plenty of comments on items I would leave home. Good thing I didn't see the other 3 pages!

I think the Forum should have a little excercise woth its members getting to a consensus on the ideal list for each month, or each 2 months per route, and have that in the resource section. A CF from December to March, an early April to Early May, Mau & June, etc.

Wouldn't we have a blast reaching a concensus! :eek:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The blinking lights make sense if walking alongside roads in inclement weather. At roughly an ounce, that's a lot of insurance for not a lot of weight. Personally, I'd keep them, unless the headlamp also supports blinking mode.

The sheet makes sense given that she's using a quilt and not a sleeping bag. I use a quilt too, and a DIY Tyvek fabric sheet that I've treated with permethrin. I wouldn't want to sleep directly on many of the mattresses I encountered, even fully clothed.
Tyvek fabric?

I'm considering taking screenshots of the Brierly book and put them all in the folder on my iPhone. That would save 9.5 oz....
I always take pics of the guide book pages on my phone, but inthe evenings I enjoy adding notes to my guide so I also carry it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Tyvek fabric?
Tyvek 1443R --- http://www.materialconcepts.com/tyvek/soft-structure/
Soft, light, water resistant. It can work as a ground cloth, or as a rudimentary emergency tarp if it's properly reinforced for use with trekking poles, guy lines, and stakes. I use it as a flat sheet on top of the mattress and fold it under the sides. With permethrin treatment, it's as effective against bedbugs as almost any other option.

My kit has a 4' x 8' sheet (5 oz), which puts me 3-4 oz. less than a traditional cotton flat sheet, and about an ounce less than the traveler sheet.

Although I'm unlikely to ever need it, an extra 2 ounces for six titanium stakes and guy lines gives a really cheap insurance policy in case I ever need to go to ground in an emergency or against wind/rain if I unexpectedly have to bivouac overnight. The Tyvek fabric isn't as strong as a traditional syl-nylon tarp, and won't stop torrential winds or rains, but properly pitched it can significantly cut their impact so that normal gear (poncho, clothing, even sleeping bag) used underneath them should be sufficient against all but the most extreme conditions. Thankfully it didn't get bad enough to require it, but when thick fog and freezing rain came in part way over the Route Napoleon in 2013, I seriously contemplated digging it out before the system blew through. Having been trapped by unexpected storms in the Rocky Mountains, I consider it to be an exercise in prudence rather than the packing of fears.

@koilife , I am still,shaking my head. The Tyvek I know is for insulating homes, and his is its cousin. Odd, but if it works ... Wow!

Too funny! I only saw page 1 and had plenty of comments on items I would leave home. Good thing I didn't see the other 3 pages!

I think the Forum should have a little excercise woth its members getting to a consensus on the ideal list for each month, or each 2 months per route, and have that in the resource section. A CF from December to March, an early April to Early May, Mau & June, etc.

Wouldn't we have a blast reaching a concensus! :eek:

That´s a very good idea and maybe we can do this for all the different caminos and seasons?
I am up for it and will start a post in the Equipment forum.

Buen camino a todos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@mspath -- thank you for sharing that list.

I have decided that a lot of the doodads and little helper tools that people like to purchase at REI just add extra weight. I am trying to let go of the carabiners and s hooks and etc.--I also learned from last journey that less is more.

--less to dig through
--less to pack
--less to carry

Currently my pack weight is at about five kilos, and I leave Tuesday--but I think that I can do a bit better. My medications weigh more than my sleeping bag, but I just visited my pharmacist and he gave me small pill bottles---so I am definitely only taking what I need, plus three extra of each for those hard mornings when something rolls under the bed.

One item that I am taking this time that I never see on anyone's list is a reflective emergency blanket. I plan to use it over my bunk at night as the bottom sheet, and I got some jungle juice (with DEET) to treat the bed with. That stuff is magic. I could not part with the $16 to buy and use the permethrin, and after seeing the video of the bugs walking all over the sheet--and taking 15 minutes plus to expire--I wonder, does it really work?

My body weight is --today-- five kilos less than when I started my first Camino Frances. I think that helps too. For the first time in years, I'm sitting here cross-legged and comfortable. It's been a long time since I could do that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm considering taking screenshots of the Brierly book and put them all in the folder on my iPhone. That would save 9.5 oz....

I've made copies of this Galicia Guide - Copied and pasted in a Google Doc for sections of the camino. (and made it available offline). http://www.galiciaguide.com/Camino-de-Santiago.html

I've also created a Google Document from the list of monasteries along the way from this forum.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/monasteries-convents-and-chapter-houses.37129/

I'm using Google Docs to save on weight as well. One less thing to add weight.

I think 21 lb its a lot of weight, take a very serious look at your stuff, you needs first and leave the wants out, I would start by ditching the water bag 48 oz on your back, you can buy water as you go

zzotte

Have you tried walking a good distance carrying your full backpack?
Remember it'll be day after day after day...
It seems very heavy to me, too but maybe you're ok with it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
First, you are doing this right by weighing everything. It will make your decision making much better. I weigh in grams to make smaller differences look bigger, but that's just me.

For what it's worth, I would consider leaving the following (mostly knick naks that I think will not be that much use, but will add up. Also you are way heavy in electronics). My comments are in parentheses:

S-biner (use a bit of clothesline if needed)
2 blinking lights for backpack (not needed--your headlamp probably has this function)
3 carabiners for backpack (use a bit of clothesline if you need)

Enlightened Equipment Sleeping Quilt & compression sack
18.6 (we walked summer, July Aug 2014, and did not need. I don't think you'll need this earlier either. Take a cheap fleece blancket for Ronchevalles, leave it there in the donation box. Everywhere else that you might need them has blankets)

Leki Pole bag (they will be in your hands and alburgues have storage places)

Brierly book (Too heavy. Use your Kindle or iPhone. I got Kelly's ebook, that I used more than Brierley. But I also had Brierely (and D&L) scanned onto .pdf files and uploaded as well)

black sharpie (why?)

Spork (Spain has cutlery).

S' hook (bit of clothesline, if necessary)

Key Chain light (one or the other--not both)
Headlamp

clothes pins (I'd take more safety pins--I found them more useful).

Sink plug (bandanna or sock)

Ziploc bags (way too much--you can get more there if you need).

Eagle Creek packing cube- First Aid Kit (too heavy--put in a freezer ziploc. Goes for the others too. Too heavy for what you get)

Antiobiotic ointment (buy there if need)
Bandaid kit (just take one or two--buy more if need)

Over the door hook 0.85 (bit of clothesline, if necessary--I just took a 2 gal. ziploc, sealed everthing in for when I showered. Worked fine for much less weight).

Merino black long johns pants 6.8 (not both--one or the other)
Black running tights 7

merino T-shirt 3.5 (only one for a total of two shirts--personally I'd take two long-sleeve because the sun bothers me, but one plus the arm sleeves would work)
merino T-shirt 3.45

Fleece pullover 5.6 (only one--probably the Down)
Patagonia Down Sweater Jacket 11.5

Gloves 1.35 (I carried them and never once used them. YMMV).

Bose Noise cancelling headphones & case (Wow is that heavy. If I had to suggest leaving only one item this would be it. Earplugs worked fine)

iphone/case/cord (not this and the Kindle--pick one).

ipod Nano (redundant with the iphone)

Extra battery (not sure for which item. This looks heavy, especially if you could buy replacements over there)
electricity converters (2) (I doubt you need these. You just need a plug adapter (which given the weight, might be what you have). Just take one).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

p.s. The after-the-walk review of the gear I took is here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...orked-what-did-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/

I leave in 32 days and and start walking on April 17th. Here is my addition to the lists. Thank you to all the experienced members. A lot of great information. I think I have the 80%solution. Cheers. My list and a pic can be found at www.stevedeployed.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.