• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poll Do you listen to anything while walking?

What did/will you do during your Camino?

• Nothing

Votes: 137 75.7%
  • Listen only to music

Votes: 19 10.5%
  • Listen only to podcasts/audiobooks

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Listen to both music and podcasts/audiobooks

Votes: 21 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before my Camino Frances, I worked for a streaming music company and had 100s of hours of music in my phone. Then, I listened to music at least 10 hours a day. But on the first day out of SJPP, I did not listen to anything and it was odd that I did not miss any music during the 35 days and since. I enjoyed hearing my breathing, footsteps, the birds, wind, people, cow bell orchestra (outside of O Cebreiro), and even the traffic sounds while on the Camino. There were a couple of places if I had the ear buds in I would not have heard someone telling me I was heading in the wrong direction so I was grateful for those people trying to get my attention.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I advise all pilgrims to use earbuds or even full on headphones and to play their music LOUD. However this is only absolutely necessary if their Camino is coincident with mine.
I love to 🎶 SING while I’m walking. Traditional Folk, music hall ditties, re-writes of Regimental songs.
Fair warning has been given. Lovers of music are advised to avoid Andalusia in May 😉
Over the hills and far away,........., thro Flanders Portugal and Spain. I sing this at high volume in the wrong key and it ensures nobody disturbs me. I sometimes use the "beggars Opera" version from a century earlier for variety.

Usually not. But when something is driving me crazy, like the tak tak tak sound of walking sticks among other things, start driving me crazy I will listen to music.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You use criticism of the feelings and values of others to defend your own criticisms. Nobody told you to stop doing anything, nor would I support anyone doing so. No one is interfering with you walking 'your own Camino'., nor would I support anyone doing so. David's feelings are about how he would choose to walk his own Camino, and are valid choices as well.

It can be frustrating when oppositional views from one's own are posted, but there is so much other content that you find valuable that I would encourage you to reconsider and continue participating or reading this forum.
Sorry, but I would rather spend my time elsewhere now. I never said David couldn’t make his own choices, my objection was to the way he characterized people who made different choices. Again, this is not the first time I have encountered sweeping generalizations on this forum that denigrate the choices of other pilgrims. I try to be careful in choosing my words, and I’m not saying others have to as well, but I can choose to expose myself to it or not.

Sorry, but I would rather spend my time elsewhere now. I never said David couldn’t make his own choices, my objection was to the way he characterized people who made different choices. Again, this is not the first time I have encountered sweeping generalizations on this forum that denigrate the choices of other pilgrims. I try to be careful in choosing my words, and I’m not saying others have to as well, but I can choose to expose myself to it or not.
David characterized the use of earphones, not the people who decide to use them. Big difference. David is also among those here who I find would be the least likely to denigrate or belittle others.

For mye first Camino (Frances), I thought I needed to fill the time with preplanned sound like podcasts, audiobooks...... and to use music when I was bored, tired or whatever. To my surprise, I didn't "need" it at all. Time passed in a pleasant way, thinking about something, everything and nothing and observing and listening to natural sounds. And traffic....to be om the safe side. On my last Camino in October 2021, I didn't bring ear plugs.

Exactly what I meant ... feel it all in a mindful way without distraction.
Nice norrsken in your Avatar by the way :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I listened to my Camino playlist in the afternoon sometimes for my last kilometers when I was needing some motivation. I also admit to plugging them in sometimes when I encountered whistling/singing/chatting-with each other not with me) pilgrims when it wasn’t a convenient time to stop and let them get far enough ahead of me so that I couldn’t hear them. I was walking one day and a long and robust conversation about a certain reality tv show was happening. I didn’t need to me “in the moment” at that point and put in my music. ;-)

I listen to my music for short periods normally around busier or built up areas but I don’t use ear buds I use bone conductor headphones, these sit outside your ears and allow you to hear the ambient sounds around you like traffic, bicycles etc I especially find this useful around industrial areas

I must admit though I will in future be listening out for some of our crooners I think hearing someone belt out a song badly without care is a joyous sound to behold and I’m guilty of it myself sometimes 👏🤣
I’ve been reading this thread and I noticed some “strong” opinions bubbling to the surface so I thought perhaps to add a little depth to my previous post I would share something normally reserved to the communal meal when we chat about our reasons for walking (and because it’s Saturday night and I’ve had a glass of wine) I walk partly to help with my ptsd, I find my faith helps me to cope on most of the journey but on those occasions when my mind starts having a go at me I find Buddy Holly or The Clash helps me push my cloud away for a while, so remember along with the surface response of “yes I listen to music” there can be an underlying reason that doesn’t need judged and to be honest I didn’t need my music once between SJPdP and Pamplona because nature provided my soundtrack which was also acceptable to my wandering mind.
P.S. this isn’t a tea and sympathy post it’s just a little openness to try and bring the temp down a bit…peace out and buen camino to all of you mi amigos 👍

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I sing loudly and when no-one is around at the top of my voice always the same selection , the marching song when i want to make progress Sharpes song when i am sad and Frank Sinatra on the meseta .
mind you i am completely tone deaf and a dreadful singer

LOL...i tried serenading to my wife and she smiled with a wince and said "where are going honey?" It took half a secind to realize my warbling was like a runaway freight train with full brakes on. I am tone deaf and musically uninclined. I tried singing once on the Camino and was embarrased that i might haved knocked some birds off their flight or the banches so decided that the sound of the breeze, birds singing and even the cars buzzinng by was more pleasant.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

I'm going to walk my first Camino in May and I plan to do it without any auditory stimulation. That means no music, no podcasts, no audiobooks etc. For me this is a big change from my every day life in which I always seem to need some kind of distraction. For me, the Camino is an opportunity to unplug and be in the present moment.

I'm curious about how other people walk or will walk their Camino. If you would like, please select an option from the poll.

If you've walked a Camino before, what was your experience? Did you also decide to "unplug" and if so, did you find it benefited you at all?

Buen camino!
Absolutely will not walk while listening--I worked too many years in Rape Crisis Intervention--many cases involved men sneaking up on women who were listening to music, and the rapists figured they'd be easy targets.

Everyone has had their say and it is time to close this thread. And a reminder, please be respectful of other forum members. Especially on a remote medium such as this, we have no idea about what others are experiencing or their history. I am often tempted to answer with a quick put-down, or a clever oppositional argument, but I know it is just my ego talking.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back