• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you need a pack lock?

cabigred

Time of past OR future Camino
CF June 2015, CF June 2016, CP June 2017
So trying to reduce pack weight. Is there really a need for a pack lock? I bought a pacsaf lock to fix my backpack to my bunk so it doesn't go walkabout when I am out of the auburgue. If I lose my stuff, it will be difficult to find replacement clothes for a 6ft woman in Spain....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my humble opinion, for what it's worth....no you don't. Anyone could put a knife to your backpack and steal your clothes. And whatever else is in it.
Just take all your valuables with you ALWAYS , and by valuables I mean passport, credit card, phone... If you carry extras like expensive cameras or ipads then so be it, take them with you even to the loo or the shower.

There is not point tying an object made of cloth to a bed hoping its contents will not be stolen. This being said, more and more albergues have little lockers for you to stash your bag in as you tour the town. So might as well put them to good use and bring of one those tiny, tiny travel locks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
But the lockers..lock so you don't need an extra lock?
Very few albergues use a magnetic card to lock and unlock lockers. The rest of them are just like you highschool locker: the two bits come together, you secure them together with the lock you bring with you.

Oh I stand corrected, all I remember is having to put one euro in the slot...
Admittedly it wasn!t often, Roncesvalles comes to mind and then probably another one I forget.
I still stand with my first advice: don't rely on any locks, just take with you AT ALL TIMES what you couldn't do without.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
No, there is no need to lock your backpack. Do not be afraid of this kind of thieves in the albergues. Still, always take or have with you all your valuable things, as domigee said, at shower, when walking around, when you sleep. On the road, however, don not let any of your belongings unattended.

While I would not leave my pack laying around in a strange place, I don't think you need to worry about anyone taking it from your Albergue. Remember, we pilgrims are all carrying around our own heavy packs, and really don't want or need anybody elses pack. That being said, keep valuables with you always.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back