• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you need a sleeping bag or just a sleeping sheet on the way from Lisbon?

happymarkos

HappyMark
Time of past OR future Camino
2023. Finish the VDLP. Zamora to Santiago.
Hi
from Le Puy I didn't need a sleeping bag all the way to St JPDP.
On the Camino Frances I needed one; will I need a sleeping bag or just a sleeping sheet from Lisbon starting in September this year
thanks
happymarkos

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
From Lisbon to Porto you'll most likely stay in places that have sheets, blankets and towels (and some with private bathrooms!). All clean as a whistle. You don't need a sleeping sheet and obviously a sleeping bag there. In October I had a sleeping sheet and only used it in the hostels (private) though even then, I didn't always need it==sheets and blankets were provided (again, clean clean clean!). It was when we got to Porto that we needed a sleeping bag or sheet, when the dedicated albergues for pilgrims really started. In October (again), it was warm enough until the latter stages of the Camino that I needed a blanket; I bought a small fleece one in Pont de Lima, I think. You should be good to go with a sleeping sheet in September, Mark!

I have a question for PEI Heather, I will also be walking the Portuguese in September and I am wondering how often will I see yellows arrows, or waymark? On my CF we used to see them almost every 2 km, can I expect about the same frequency or are they space further apart?? Since it sems more isolated, I don't want to miss one and "get loss", since I will be alone. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New albergues are popping up and you will need either sleeping sheet or sleeping bag. My sleeping bag is 0.8 lb or 380 g.
There are several albergues between Lisbon and Porto.
I am one of those who always brings both (sprayed with permethrin) - just in case! And I prefer albergue/ convento/ dormitory if there is one available.

I'm walking the Portuguese September to early October and will only carry a silk liner. Others have told me that there are usually blankets, and I found this to be the case on the Plata. As has been suggested, if you get cold just purchase a light fleece blanket. They are fairly easy to find. Perhaps I'll see you along the way?! Have fun with your preparations:)

I have a question for PEI Heather, I will also be walking the Portuguese in September and I am wondering how often will I see yellows arrows, or waymark? On my CF we used to see them almost every 2 km, can I expect about the same frequency or are they space further apart?? Since it sems more isolated, I don't want to miss one and "get loss", since I will be alone. Thanks!
At least from Porto you can expect to see yellow arrows at less than 500m apart. I think that the way is pretty well marked, with one or two exceptions (I had some trouble finding the way only from Mos to Arcade and the split before the Santiago when you have two arrows showing the opposite directions is strange), but I can say the way is well marked and the changes in direction are allways signaled.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you so much Bogdan for taking the time to answer my question. It is re-assuring.

I walked Porto to SDC in May/June 2016 and WISH I'd brought just a sheet or liner!

Thank you so much Bogdan for taking the time to answer my question. It is re-assuring.

Sorry Zoula; I have just only now seen your question to me. You got pretty well the same answer from @Bogdan as I would have given you. :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back