• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Documenting the experience

GracieMarnelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - May 2019
Hi All,

I am embarking on my very first Camino in May this year, I will traveling from Australia to walk the Camino Portugues. I'm keen to document my experience through photos and possibly videos for youtube. Could anyone please recommend any videos to watch or possibly any you have made yourself?

Thanks,
Gracie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All,

I am embarking on my very first Camino in May this year, I will traveling from Australia to walk the Camino Portugues. I'm keen to document my experience through photos and possibly videos for youtube. Could anyone please recommend any videos to watch or possibly any you have made yourself?

Thanks,
Gracie

Try ANDREW SUZUKI an amiable guy and a good film maker too. Or EFREN GONZALEZ amazing drone shots!

Here are a couple YouTube channels from folks who vlogged their Caminos.

The thing I like about both these feeds is that they are low production value, and give a good sense of what it is really like walking a Camino. There is no drone footage or cheesy intro and outro music or faux dramatic voiceovers...there is just plain raw footage of what it means to walk a Camino, warts and all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love the overlander.tv film of an Australian man's trip on the CF. It's on YouTube called The Way. I love the way you can see how the guy is just transformed over the course of the pilgrimage both mentally and physically.

Welcome to the forum @GraceMarnelle

I'm afraid Youtube camino videos are a bit of an unhealthy addiction for me and while I'm not sure the world needs any more, my appetite for them can never be sated.

The ones mentioned above are all good, then you have many pre-camino packing videos like Lindsey Cowie's family perspectives like World Towning's and epic drone footage by the likes of Lex Ellis .

If you wanted to contribute something different to what's currently available on Youtube and stand out from the crowd I'd concentrate on pretty much anything but the walking. Topics like meals, washing (personal and of clothes), albergue etiquette and tips, evening activities and points of interest receive little attention.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The thing I like about both these feeds is that they are low production value, and give a good sense of what it is really like walking a Camino. There is no drone footage or cheesy intro and outro music or faux dramatic voiceovers...there is just plain raw footage of what it means to walk a Camino, warts and all.

Those videos made me feel like grabbing my pack and run out of the door pronto :)

I love the overlander.tv film of an Australian man's trip on the CF. It's on YouTube called The Way. I love the way you can see how the guy is just transformed over the course of the pilgrimage both mentally and physically.

ahh yes I loved the film and it was actually my first introduction into what the Camino was. Funny to think many years after watching the film, i'll be walking my own Camino. Thanks for the reply!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Gracie,
We walked the Portuguese Camino last May and made this YouTube video.
You will have a wonderful experience.

Thankyou for your recommendation, I loved your effortless approach to the Camino and documenting it. It has definitely got me excited. I was just planning on walking the central route crossing to the Spiritual route at the end but I noticed in a comment you suggested walking the coastal route before cutting back into the central route to Rates. I think I will need to reconsider my plan haha, thanks for the reply

Welcome to the forum @GraceMarnelle

I'm afraid Youtube camino videos are a bit of an unhealthy addiction for me and while I'm not sure the world needs any more, my appetite for them can never be sated.

The ones mentioned above are all good, then you have many pre-camino packing videos like Lindsey Cowie's family perspectives like World Towning's and epic drone footage by the likes of Lex Ellis .

If you wanted to contribute something different to what's currently available on Youtube and stand out from the crowd I'd concentrate on pretty much anything but the walking. Topics like meals, washing (personal and of clothes), albergue etiquette and tips, evening activities and points of interest receive little attention.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Hi Rob, Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree, so many videos out there yet they document a range of experiences and perspectives. I will definitely take on board your suggestions regarding the videos, I've never attempted to make any kind of video so I will see how it goes.

Gracie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi All,

Thanks,
Gracie

John Sikora has a unique take on the Camino, having used a GoPro to record the almost all of the stages step-by-step. Then he did a post production editing which used a Hyperlapse process to take the hours and hours of walking during each stage, and reducing the time for watching to only 20 to 40 minutes per stage.

I was fortunate to have John include my GoPro video of the entire walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in his series. He took that video and did the post production work.

Here's one of mine from the Camino Portuguese in 2016. I did the CP again last September and stayed pretty much on the coast from Porto to Pontevedre. I did a couple of other videos that you can find on my YouTube page if you are interested.
My best advice is to take a lot of stills and video. Make sure you have enough storage on your Camara or take an extra SD card with you. Also, be sure to narrate your videos so others can enjoy your experience.
I have recently begun video editing and it is really helping my story telling as well as helping my nostalgia for the Camino. We will be leaving for our 4th Camino in July.
You're going to have a great time. PM me if you have any questions about the CP. I've done two routes. Buen Camino.
Marty

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi All,

Thanks,
Gracie
Just search Camino on youtube. You'll get hundreds of hits.

OMG, YouTube videos of the Camino (ANY Camino) are my serious addiction in the morning when I am drinking my morning coffee. I have loved Efren's CF series, and while I cringe at drone use on the camino, his drone shots are wonderful, he gives great historical commentary and I have noticed that his drone shots are usually with no people in them. AlaskanPilgrim has a great series of her CF last year and good before and after segments of what equipment she took for photography/video and what equipment was ultimately used or not used.
I will be on the Camino Portugues starting in Porto mid May. Hope to see you there!

OMG, YouTube videos of the Camino (ANY Camino) are my serious addiction in the morning when I am drinking my morning coffee. I have loved Efren's CF series, and while I cringe at drone use on the camino, his drone shots are wonderful, he gives great historical commentary and I have noticed that his drone shots are usually with no people in them. AlaskanPilgrim has a great series of her CF last year and good before and after segments of what equipment she took for photography/video and what equipment was ultimately used or not used.
I will be on the Camino Portugues starting in Porto mid May. Hope to see you there!

I’ve been looking for new CF journeys.

Somehow I missed Alaska’s.

Thanks for mentioning it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just remember that many people won't want to be in your picture or video, especially if it is being uploaded to the world. Respect their privacy, get their permission before you record them.

Search 'Camino Society Derry' on YouTube to see my life changing journey to the end of the world and beyond...you can subscribe if interested in other videos to follow of my Camino de Fe in 🇧🇷 Ultreia 🤠

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back