• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Documenting your Camino: a self per mile

• Thread starter Anemone del Camino
  • Start date
A

Anemone del Camino

Just saw this interesting website about a man who walked the PCT taking a selfie every mile he walked. 2600 miles! Interesting physical change, environmental changes as well. He said he did it in part so he would be kept accountable for having walked every step of the way. Here is the link to his web site and the 4 minute time-lapse video he made with his selfies: http://www.lostorfound.org/timelapse.html

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just saw this interesting website about a man who walked the PCT taking a selfie every mile he walked. 2600 miles! Interesting physical change, environmental changes as well. He said he did it in part so he would be kept accountable for having walked every step of the way. Here is the link to his web site and the 4 minute time-lapse video he made with his selfies: http://www.lostorfound.org/timelapse.html
A friend of mine just sent this same video to me this past weekend as motivation to prepare for my Camino, lol :D
I loved it & am considering doing the same, although I'm not sure it will be as visually interesting since his was 5 months worth of changes & mine will be 3 weeks max (I'm walking the Primitivo) :).

We did a photo a day for 40 days when we walked from SJPP to Leon...Oviedo to SdC and then to Muxia last fall. We then put it to music and it was fun to watch..not much physical change, other than our hair grew longer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can understand doing a daily selfie or other photo of self, but every mile? I would miss too much of what was going on around me, not to mention the lack of reflection.

We took one every 100km; here are a selection (and interestingly, the very act of stopping to compose a picture means each of the spots is seared into our memories in a different way to if we had not done this)
Camino 2014 2014-05-05 009.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-08 006.JPG Camino 2014 2014-05-24 006.JPG Camino 2014 2014-06-09 044.JPG Camino 2014 2014-06-17 030.JPG

I am astounded by the commitment that it took to document this hike. Not to mention what it took to do this hike at all. I'm absolutely certain that there was ample time in that 2600 miles for reflection.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just watched a little over half of the time lapse. Must be amazing walk to do and some commitment to take the photographs and put them together, well done for the effort. I carry a nikon d80 camera in a harness on all walks and have the camera strapped to my body all day, I know of the constant effort and the work involved when you get home. I just was not into the result, yes maybe one photograph a day but one every mile not my cup of tea, spend the time and effort on the landscape instead.
Dermot

I didn't take all the photos of the items/places that I'd promised myself I would, let alone one per mile. That's dedication!

The beauty of this film project -- which is a teaser for a larger project he hopes to fund via Kickstarter crowd funding -- is that it shows how possible it is to record a personal journey today. There are so many amazing creative and technology tools that make us able to share our experiences. I am constantly amazed by the personal web sites, photo sharing, and book projects written by the people in this forum -- and eternally grateful for the hundreds (thousands?) of pilgrims who have offered their help and support to other pilgrims here.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is probably completely irrelevant to the topic but I heard this statistic about selfies on the radio today (yes, the radio) - in 2014 there were 8 recorded fatalities from shark attacks, that same year there were 12 recorded fatalities from people taking selfies (eg. falling over a cliff backwards, walking into traffic then being run over). But i'm still going where the sharks don't.
Totally relevant, from ascuba diver: Sharks are not a menace, but ego is quite a different story :eek:

Amazing transformation between the start and the finish. I can't say it's something I would want to do, but I found it very interesting to watch. He seemed a changed person by the end. Not just physically, but there appeared to be an internal change as well, reflected in his demeanor. Interesting concept.

Sharks are not a menace, but ego is quite a different story :eek:
Hear hear Anemone.
These journeys of ours are invisible--they really can't be articulated, illustrated, or in any way captured. Goodness knows, we try. And to do the PCT or the AT is an astonishing and admirable achievement.
But a selfie every mile? Sorry, I don't get it. We'd be better off trying to take the ego out of the middle of everything, not the other way around. Am I the only one who looks at this and wonders why?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hear hear Anemone.
These journeys of ours are invisible--they really can't be articulated, illustrated, or in any way captured. Goodness knows, we try. And to do the PCT or the AT is an astonishing and admirable achievement.
But a selfie every mile? Sorry, I don't get it. We'd be better off trying to take the ego out of the middle of everything, not the other way around. Am I the only one who looks at this and wonders why?

No you are not the only one Viranani.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back