• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

documents needed to enter schengen countires

wjw

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016
Hi, I'm going to finish the VDLP this September from my previous try in 2019 (had to stop because of a bad knee). I am trying to find out what documentation I need to enter the Schengen Countries. My flight is direct from the US to Amsterdam, AFTER I LAND I will need to book a flight into Spain (I have not done this yet). My questions!!? What documentation do I need for the Netherlands/Spain? Both countries are Schengen, to me that implies that if I pass through the Netherlands and onto Spain I'll be fine. However looking at both the Netherlands and Spain requirements I get COMPLETELY confused. Netherlands doesn't say anything about having a QR code, where Spain indicates one. I have been on both of the government websites for these countries and can not make out what to do. If anyone has suggestions I'd greatly appreciate your feedback.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are asking two different questions - one about entering the Schengen zone, and another about Covid requirements for different countries. The Schengen countries have common requirements for entry of visitors (i.e. Immigration). You need your national passport and you need evidence (if asked) that you can support yourself during your planned stay and you can pay for your ticket back home. You may then travel throughout all Schengen countries as long as you don't stay longer than 90 days during any 180 day period.

Your other question is about Covid documentation. This is separate from the "immigration" question. Each country has its own Covid requirements. Spain requires that you register on their Spanish health site (SpTH, with QR code, etc.) and provide vaccination information and declaration on that site. I am not familiar with the requirements for the Netherlands, but I would be surprised if they require anything more that a vaccination certificate. (That is why they don't say anything about a QR code.)

Then, when you are boarding a flight for Spain, you will need to show the QR code that proves you have entered your vaccination information into the SpTH app. I think this can be done only during the 72 hours before your arrival in Spain.

I am curious why you are not booking your flight to Spain until AFTER you land. That might make life and your ticketing more complicated.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back