• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Documents Required upon entry?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joelle Parsons

Time of past OR future Camino
Norte
Hi everyone! My husband and I leave for del Norte this Thursday! We are so excited and filling out our spanish health form right now. We are running into a problem where we don't have documentation for our boosters and recovery from Covid, and the portal says they may require the documents used to complete the SpTH form upon arrival even if we have our QR code. We have documents from our first two doses, but those would not be up to date, but we have been boosted and had covid since then, but were not issued any documentation for them. Have you needed to show your additional documents to the QR code from SPTH or just the code?

Cheers!
Joelle

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone! My husband and I leave for del Norte this Thursday! We are so excited and filling out our spanish health form right now. We are running into a problem where we don't have documentation for our boosters and recovery from Covid, and the portal says they may require the documents used to complete the SpTH form upon arrival even if we have our QR code. We have documents from our first two doses, but those would not be up to date, but we have been boosted and had covid since then, but were not issued any documentation for them. Have you needed to show your additional documents to the QR code from SPTH or just the code?

Cheers!
Joelle
Not sure of the answer, but can you tell us where you are travelling from please.

Thanks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Cheers!
Joelle
I have some of the same questions. We are from California and will be doing the Via Podiensis and then the Frances. So if you arrive in Spain on foot, after a month in France, do you need to fill out the SpTH form? What I'm getting from the website is that this applies only to air travelers flying into Spain, but I'm not sure.

I have some of the same questions. We are from California and will be doing the Via Podiensis and then the Frances. So if you arrive in Spain on foot, after a month in France, do you need to fill out the SpTH form? What I'm getting from the website is that this applies only to air travelers flying into Spain, but I'm not sure.
You are correct. The form doesn't apply to those crossing the border by land.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Cheers!
Joelle
HI Joelle
I have just returned from Santiago and had completed SpTH for and had my NHS Covid Pass loaded on to my phone. Along with everybody else on my flight I was just waved through and nobody checked anything. I also have a friend who has a property in Alicante and he has visited twice this year and had the same experience both times. Don't know if this will help you.
Vince

Cheers!
Joelle
Finished the Frances 10 days ago. It’s a bit like insurance at the moment - you will never know that you need them until you need them. There is a slight surge in new variants in Europe at the moment and there are occasional covid cases on the Camino. Those I know who caught it (all with 3 USA jabs) just camped in a hotel for 4-5 days, took paracetamol for flu-like symptoms, had to wear masks at all times but were allowed to leave their rooms and go to town for food etc. This minor surge might drive the Spanish to tighten up on enforcing requirements.

I just started Porto to SDC. I got a Covid test the day before departure (the test gets results in 35 minutes and documentation emailed to me stating Negative results. When I checked in at AA counter in DFW the agent helped me fill out a new SpTH form and got the QR immediately. Best customer service anyone can ask for.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have you googled "flying into Spain from Canada" that should give you the answer.
If you fly into Spain from an EU country you do not need to fill out the SpTH form but it may be different coming from Canada.

Buen Camino to you!

HI Joelle
I have just returned from Santiago and had completed SpTH for and had my NHS Covid Pass loaded on to my phone. Along with everybody else on my flight I was just waved through and nobody checked anything. I also have a friend who has a property in Alicante and he has visited twice this year and had the same experience both times. Don't know if this will help you.
Vince
That is great to know, thank you!

Cheers!
Joelle
Can you both just get a PCR test? That way it just kinda bypasses covid boosters etc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Were you were able to get the necessary documentation from the website I suggested in post #7 above?Since I am also from the same area, I am curious about why your situation would be different, provided you got your vaccinations in BC. A number of the other replies do not reflect the same circumstances.

That is great to know, thank you!
A person flying from the UK with NHS Covid-19 documentation or flying from the EU with EU Covid-19 documentation will, upon arrival at Madrid airport, have to follow the signals indicating the ORANGE Channel.

A person flying from Canada with Canadian Covid-19 documentation, will, upon arrival at Madrid airport, have to follow the signals indicating the BLUE Channel.

This is well explained on the SpTH website. The fact that some categories of travellers from other countries, or even some travellers from Canada, are waved through does not guarantee that you and your documents will not get checked.

And why fuss around with Covid-19 tests before departure when you can get and use proof of your booster vaccinations?

Bon voyage!

I flew into Spain recently and didn't have to show any documents. Maybe they are finally opening up and common sense is back as we live with it, just as we do flu etc

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for this thread. I didn't realize this. I am also from Canada ( British Columbia) not going till beginning of September but trying to determine if I need a second booster, as I am fully immunized, then got my first booster greater than 270 days before. I think according to those websites I should be okay but ???? It is difficult right now to get the second booster where I am. Anyone out there have any more information?

trying to determine if I need a second booster
There is no requirement for a second booster dose. The basic 2-dose vaccination expires 270 days after the second dose, and then you need a booster. That booster does not expire.

From the Spain Travel Health site (bolding is mine), a person must show that they:
  • "has been vaccinated against COVID-19, with a complete schedule or booster dose. In the case of a complete vaccination schedule, you should check the validity periods: this certificate will be valid from 14 days after the administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule and will be valid up to 270 days from the administration of this last dose. The vaccination certificate with complete schedule for children under 18 has no expiry date.
    Thereafter, in order to be valid (people aged 18 and over), the vaccination certificate must reflect the administration of a booster dose. These certificates will be considered valid from the day the booster dose is administered."
There is no mention of an expiry date for the booster, and no mention of a second booster dose.

Thanks for this thread. I didn't realize this. I am also from Canada ( British Columbia) not going till beginning of September but trying to determine if I need a second booster, as I am fully immunized, then got my first booster greater than 270 days before. I think according to those websites I should be okay but ???? It is difficult right now to get the second booster where I am. Anyone out there have any more information?
If you can, I would recommend that you get the 2nd booster. Covid is alive and well on the Camino. I caught it last month on the Portuguese Camino, but my case was very mild - milder than many colds that I've had, and I think that the fact that I had my second booster two weeks before I left home is what made the difference.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is no requirement for a second booster dose. The basic 2-dose vaccination expires 270 days after the second dose, and then you need a booster. That booster does not expire.

From the Spain Travel Health site (bolding is mine), a person must show that they:
  • "has been vaccinated against COVID-19, with a complete schedule or booster dose. In the case of a complete vaccination schedule, you should check the validity periods: this certificate will be valid from 14 days after the administration of the last dose of the complete vaccination schedule and will be valid up to 270 days from the administration of this last dose. The vaccination certificate with complete schedule for children under 18 has no expiry date.
    Thereafter, in order to be valid (people aged 18 and over), the vaccination certificate must reflect the administration of a booster dose. These certificates will be considered valid from the day the booster dose is administered."
There is no mention of an expiry date for the booster, and no mention of a second booster dose.
Thanks!

If you line up a booster you’ll have it by Sept...

I just heard, not sure if it is true but it is from a friend in Spain that they are loosening the restrictions very soon that these rules will no longer apply. Does anyone else have any real information on this? Similar to travel to Australia..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I just heard, not sure if it is true but it is from a friend in Spain that they are loosening the restrictions very soon that these rules will no longer apply. Does anyone else have any real information on this? Similar to travel to Australia..
When restrictions change you can look to official Spanish sites like this one for travelers.

We would rather deal with facts and not speculation on the forum. 🙂

I just heard, not sure if it is true but it is from a friend in Spain that they are loosening the restrictions very soon that these rules will no longer apply. Does anyone else have any real information on this?
I also wonder what restrictions you are talking about?

Once you get into Spain, following the rules that have been outlined above, the only restrictions are that masks still must be worn in certain situations - e.g. public transit, pharmacies, medical centres, some cathedrals.

I also wonder what restrictions you are talking about?

Once you get into Spain, following the rules that have been outlined above, the only restrictions are that masks still must be worn in certain situations - e.g. public transit, pharmacies, medical centres, some cathedrals.
Sorry I thought my reply to the thread was clear - this is for ENTRY into Spain, not while there. I checked the above link in the thread for Travel Safe Spain and it says not to rely on their information either as the legal conditions are constantly changing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
this is for ENTRY into Spain, not while there. I checked the above link in the thread for Travel Safe Spain and it says not to rely on their information either as the legal conditions are constantly changing.
Yes, there was a disclaimer saying that the information was not legally binding and you should check with the authorities right before you travel. However, that site is quite reliable.

The official site is this one. Coming from Canada, you would be expected to complete the SpTH forum/app.

"In order to pass health controls upon arrival in Spain, passengers (except children under the age of 12 and international transits), who arrive from countries that do NOT belong to the European Union or do NOT have the status of Schengen associated countries, must show one of these documents:
  • An EU DIGITAL COVID CERTIFICATE OR EU EQUIVALENT of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative certificate of an active infection diagnostic test or a recovery certificate after having this disease.
  • SpTH QR. If you do not have the EU Digital COVID Certificate or equivalent, you must complete the SpTH Health Control Form, manually entering the details of your vaccination, recovery or diagnostic test certificate."
The details are provided on that website. If you are vaccinated and boosted and can show it, there are no restrictions. If you are not vaccinated, it appears that you need either a recovery certificate or a negative test - check the website for details as I am not familiar with that situation.

Yes, there was a disclaimer saying that the information was not legally binding and you should check with the authorities right before you travel. However, that site is quite reliable.

The official site is this one. Coming from Canada, you would be expected to complete the SpTH forum/app.

"In order to pass health controls upon arrival in Spain, passengers (except children under the age of 12 and international transits), who arrive from countries that do NOT belong to the European Union or do NOT have the status of Schengen associated countries, must show one of these documents:
  • An EU DIGITAL COVID CERTIFICATE OR EU EQUIVALENT of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative certificate of an active infection diagnostic test or a recovery certificate after having this disease.
  • SpTH QR. If you do not have the EU Digital COVID Certificate or equivalent, you must complete the SpTH Health Control Form, manually entering the details of your vaccination, recovery or diagnostic test certificate."
The details are provided on that website. If you are vaccinated and boosted and can show it, there are no restrictions. If you are not vaccinated, it appears that you need either a recovery certificate or a negative test - check the website for details as I am not familiar with that situation.
Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.