• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does anybody know the start point for the inland route from Hondarribia?

Gone Walking

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte - 2019
Hello All

Four of us are walking the stretch from Hondarribia to Pasaia in three weeks time and have decided to do the inland route rather than the coastal route as we think it will be too much for my friends knee. I can find lots of information for the coastal route but I can't seem to find anything for the inland route - has anyone done this route before and is there a map with directions? I'm assuming this route is signposted - but again not sure what the signs will be for.

Many thanks for any help.

Debra

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Debra,
Welcome to the forum.
There is some info here

The official camino does not take the coastal option, which is described here.

I THINK, though someone can correct me, that the two Camino choices are the so-called (and this is a huge hyperbole) alpine route, and the lower route. I think when you say it will be too much for your friend, you are referring to the higher route, not the coastal route.

The two camino routes (the higher and the lower) split at the Sanctuary of Guadalupe.

Now that I have totally confused things, let us know which route you plan to walk! Buen camino, Laurie

Hello Laurie
Ah, that makes perfect sense - thanks. I was thinking that the coastal path and alpine route were one and the same, that's why I was getting so confused to my Google results. We are wanting to do what is known as the lower route. We will be staying in Hondarribia the night before in the Old Town so we won't be far away from the roundabout to lead us up to the
Sanctuary of Guadalupe. So my understanding is that we take the left track which will put us on the lower track?
Once again, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Debra

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Laurie
Ah, that makes perfect sense - thanks. I was thinking that the coastal path and alpine route were one and the same, that's why I was getting so confused to my Google results. We are wanting to do what is known as the lower route. We will be staying in Hondarribia the night before in the Old Town so we won't be far away from the roundabout to lead us up to the
Sanctuary of Guadalupe. So my understanding is that we take the left track which will put us on the lower track?
Once again, thanks for clearing that up for me.
Debra
Yes, it's the left track, and it will take you through the forest.

Hi Laurie and others. I have a question about the descent into Pasajes from the Alpiniste route. I have walked the Alpiniste route twice. Sure the initial climb is tough but it’s short and sharp. Other than that I found it to be wonderful - EXCEPT the very scary (for me) descent at the end - by a very narrow rocky path with a steep drop on the left and rocks and a rope on the right. I was as scared the second time as the first.

I will be back on the first part of the del Norte in late September with a friend and would like to do the Alpiniste Way - but not the scary part at the end. I have a memory of an alternative way down from the ridge via a route on the left some kms before the scary part. I seem to recall that some other pilgrims took this. Am I imagining this? I hope not - would appreciate any info.

Thank you
Jenny

Hello All

Four of us are walking the stretch from Hondarribia to Pasaia in three weeks time and have decided to do the inland route rather than the coastal route as we think it will be too much for my friends knee. I can find lots of information for the coastal route but I can't seem to find anything for the inland route - has anyone done this route before and is there a map with directions? I'm assuming this route is signposted - but again not sure what the signs will be for.

Many thanks for any help.

Debra

Hi Debra, you'll have no difficulty finding this track as it's the well-marked one. Finding the upper one is much trickier!

Wishing you a Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie and others. I have a question about the descent into Pasajes from the Alpiniste route. I have walked the Alpiniste route twice. Sure the initial climb is tough but it’s short and sharp. Other than that I found it to be wonderful - EXCEPT the very scary (for me) descent at the end - by a very narrow rocky path with a steep drop on the left and rocks and a rope on the right. I was as scared the second time as the first.

I will be back on the first part of the del Norte in late September with a friend and would like to do the Alpiniste Way - but not the scary part at the end. I have a memory of an alternative way down from the ridge via a route on the left some kms before the scary part. I seem to recall that some other pilgrims took this. Am I imagining this? I hope not - would appreciate any info.

Thank you
Jenny
I have never heard anyone talk about a scary descent either, and I have no memory of one. I don’t usually get too freaked out because of the heights of the descents, but my knees suffer mightily so I usuallly remember the bad ones. Maybe the alternative GR 121 alternative I took avoids that descent? I know that the official alpinista route does ascend higher than the GR, but my understanding was that official camino goes to asphalt. The GR stays on dirt paths with nice views over the water.

You know, wikiloc tracks would have a good profile of both the ascents and the descents. The first track i posted doesn’t indicate whether it’s the GR or not, but the second one definitely is. And the second one looks like a more gentle ascent. Maybe someone who has been there more recently could help clarify.

www.wikiloc.com

Camino del Norte (etapa 1). Irún-San Sebastián
Camino del Norte (etapa 1). Irún-San Sebastián Hiking trail in Antzaran, País Vasco (España). Download its GPS track and follow the itinerary on a map. Ruta muy bonita que parte del albergue de peregrinos de Irún. Si queremos comenzar la ruta exactamente por el paso de Santiago debemos...
www.wikiloc.com
www.wikiloc.com

https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/gr-121-pasajes-a-san-sebastian-10451130

Thanks so much Laurie.

Sadly I’m not so good at working out the maps and profiles but will see if Domi can assist.

if you have no memory of a steep narrow section with rocks on your right and at one point a rope ‘bannister’ attached to hold on to - then we took the wrong way (an alternate way) TWICE. It took us right to the end point of the ridge where we looked straight down to the opening of the inlet into Pasajes. Then suddenly we were on a very steep road which wound down steeply to the water.

Do you recall your last kilometres in to Pasajes and where you entered the town?

I would love to take the Alpiniste way again as I know my friend im walking with would love the path and the views - but she would not like the section I’m describing, and I have no wish to do it a third time! So I must be careful not to take us there!!

All help much appreciated. Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.