• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does anyone else KEEP walking after the camino?

thetravellingpen

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2014
I just can't stop. I did my camino in 2014 mid-July to mid-August. When I got back, I rested for a few days and then got itchy feet... I had to keep going. I work full time, but have managed to shuffle my schedule and still walk 10-15km a day, 6 days a week. I just felt so strong and healthy after getting back, that I didn't want to slip into laziness and undo all the good the camino did for me.

In fact, my husband (who never walked the camino with me) goes with me every morning. If I have an early meeting and can't go, he still goes. We clock up more than 80km per week at the moment. Luckily, living in Thailand, we don't have a winter, so can keep going year round -- probably too hot for most people, but we are used to the heat, and it's training in this climate that made me not feel the heat of the Meseta in July!

It's not only the fitness that is a driving force of the continued walking, but it really helps to clear the mind, and we discuss many things during the daily walks, business, personal, whatever needs discussing. Walking is our exercise and I must admit, I get quite grumpy if I can't go. We start in the jungle behind our house, starting with a really steep hill, and walk the dogs for 4km, then drop them back at home before walking down to the beach to clock up more KMs. We go at a pace of at least 6km/hour so walk for 2 to 2.5hours a day.

Anyway... when my daughter finishes high school in five years time, I will do the camino again, but this time, my husband will come with me. Can't wait!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had exactly the same experience. After training so much for my first couple of caminos, I decided it was silly to get out of shape and then train again to get back into shape for my next camino. So I started riding my bike to work, and since I'm not blessed with the amount of time nor the good weather that you are, I have worked into my daily routine an hour on the elliptical at a pretty rapid pace. Now I never have to train for a camino! You're lucky to have both mountains and beach near you, I have nothing but corn fields (though they have their own beauty, they are not as good for keeping in shape). I know I've gotten on this soapbox before, but I come from a car-dominated pretty lazy part of the country, and I just wish a lot more of my fellow citizens would get over to the Camino and see what life can be like without so much time spent in a car! Buen camino, Laurie

I would imagine most work schedules don't bode well with the time it takes to walk 10-15 km a day.....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would imagine most work schedules don't bode well with the time it takes to walk 10-15 km a day.....
Mark, that is true, but I do actually work a full day, and have a child. When there is a will there is a way! I get up at 6am, do office work for an hour and a half, then get my daughter ready to take to school, and when I drop her at school, I walk for 2 hours and go back into the office from 10am. So getting up at 6am to do office work early, allows me the time to do it. On weekends I go for about 3 hours, before the house wakes up!

Every day hmmm, I'd say you got a pretty serious condition of caminotitis :p
While mine is not as severe, it has become chronic ever since 2013 and is only controlled by bad weather (right now, it keeps snowing outside, they forecast another 25 cm over night) but as soon as weather improves, I do my 2 to 3 times 20 km a week.
Have you tried to weaken the symptoms with an occasional glass of Rioja, it may help.
If it is getting worse, there is no other remedy than to buy a ticket to join the other junkies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very true, though in my experience once you are capable of walking 15+ km daily, you don't actually have to walk that far every day to maintain that ability. Walking 3 - 5 km a day two or three times a week, plus a 15+ km walk once every week or two is usually sufficient (for me, at least). It seems like my body 'remembers' how to handle longer distances so long as I don't go too long between long-distance walks.

Very true, though in my experience once you are capable of walking 15+ km daily, you don't actually have to walk that far every day to maintain that ability. Walking 3 - 5 km a day two or three times a week, plus a 15+ km walk once every week or two is usually sufficient (for me, at least). It seems like my body 'remembers' how to handle longer distances so long as I don't go too long between long-distance walks.
We do precisely the same. We try to walk around 1 hour a day and once per week (or so) we try to go for 15+ walk :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've retired now and am thrilled to have time to get enough sleep and go walking. My goal is 50 km/week. I was doing more but now must ease off and also find some more non-concrete routes since the bottom of my foot is getting sore. I hope it is due to too much concrete and not something else that is less easily fixed.

That's fantastic @thetravellingpen !

Well, I don't have a car (and I'm HAPPY for that), so I have to walk on my own..:) Just one BIG minus is that I live in a big, crowded city! I always try to get out as often as possible!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't even consider my 2 hours every day as "continuing" my walk because I am really looking forward to my 7oth birthday next year when I plan a walk to and from Santiago, a goal for continuing the walk after the Camino which should take me at least 3 months.

I'm also a walking junkie since my camino in 2011. It is just so good to walk, mentally and physically. A day just wouldn't be a day without a walk.
If you don't like to walk then:
1. What are you doing on this forum?, and
2. Get a dog, that ensures a daily walk.

I just can't stop. I did my camino in 2014 mid-July to mid-August. When I got back, I rested for a few days and then got itchy feet... I had to keep going. I work full time, but have managed to shuffle my schedule and still walk 10-15km a day, 6 days a week. I just felt so strong and healthy after getting back, that I didn't want to slip into laziness and undo all the good the camino did for me.

In fact, my husband (who never walked the camino with me) goes with me every morning. If I have an early meeting and can't go, he still goes. We clock up more than 80km per week at the moment. Luckily, living in Thailand, we don't have a winter, so can keep going year round -- probably too hot for most people, but we are used to the heat, and it's training in this climate that made me not feel the heat of the Meseta in July!

It's not only the fitness that is a driving force of the continued walking, but it really helps to clear the mind, and we discuss many things during the daily walks, business, personal, whatever needs discussing. Walking is our exercise and I must admit, I get quite grumpy if I can't go. We start in the jungle behind our house, starting with a really steep hill, and walk the dogs for 4km, then drop them back at home before walking down to the beach to clock up more KMs. We go at a pace of at least 6km/hour so walk for 2 to 2.5hours a day.

Anyway... when my daughter finishes high school in five years time, I will do the camino again, but this time, my husband will come with me. Can't wait!
Totally! I walk all the time now! I have shifted my normal workout so that weather permitting, I walk about 5.5 miles in the morning several times a week -- start with my headlamp at 5:30 am and am in the office by 8:30! Its just is time to think, to see the beauty around me, to get myself ready for upcoming challenges or debrief myself from past ones. For me its just peace! I don't know how I went so long without walking and can't imagine going back to that space. Liz

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walk probably on average six times per week, whatever the weather, but I vary both my type of route as well as distance.

It's not set in stone but a good average week would have 2 x 10 km, 2 x 15 km, 1 x 25 km, plus one day where I do maybe five km but incorporate about 5000 ft of ascent & descent.

Based on that I've proven that I can walk more than 40 km a day when I want to.

As others have said it's an addiction. :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
From the Cathedral website:

Keep walking
Walk the Route of Routes
If you wish to keep walking to reflect whilst exploring the city the tourist office website contains details of city walks. You may also walk the Route of Routes, a new route designed with pilgrims in mind. This route traces the entry of all of the historic routes as they enter Santiago through the places where the old city gates stood. This route will also help you explore parts of Santiago and its surroundings which you may not have seen before. There are many opportunities to sit and reflect on the place, both physical and spiritual, to which your Camino has brought you.

That may be of little use when you get home, but it has a nice spirit of "keep walking."

I don't manage to walk 10km every day but I always walk to everywhere I throughout the week. Now on weekends I walk 12/18 km whatever the weather, peregrina b and me picnic every single Saturday throughout the year unless it falls on Christmas Day!
Perhaps you guys/gals walk much more after your Camino's than we do! But we do also dream of walking each night, does this count? :);)

I too love to walk and manage to get about 10 kms in most days. In the winter, I go snowshoeing for 2 - 3 hours and it's wonderful. I am lucky to live so close to a variety of hiking trails and snowshoe trails so I never get tired of it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We don't walk nearly as much as we'd like to. We did more in the summer time, but this time of year, it doesn't get light until about 7 and it's dark at 5, so its hard to get any walking in during the week when we have 8-5 jobs. We walk and hike on the weekends on a regular basis. We are keeping up with our fitness in other ways though - working out inside before dawn, riding bikes on the weekends, climbing stairs one evening a week when the weather allows, etc. I do miss the ability to walk more often though. Come on Daylight Savings Time!! :)

I've ended up training for the Oxfam 100km event! I've also discovered that when distances get past 45km or so, my enthusiasm starts to wane a bit and I entertain thoughts of hitch-hiking home! Looking forward to getting back to Camino-type distances.

From the Cathedral website:

Keep walking
Walk the Route of Routes
If you wish to keep walking to reflect whilst exploring the city the tourist office website contains details of city walks. You may also walk the Route of Routes, a new route designed with pilgrims in mind. This route traces the entry of all of the historic routes as they enter Santiago through the places where the old city gates stood. This route will also help you explore parts of Santiago and its surroundings which you may not have seen before. There are many opportunities to sit and reflect on the place, both physical and spiritual, to which your Camino has brought you.

That may be of little use when you get home, but it has a nice spirit of "keep walking."

Falcon is there a map available ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Agreed, but it acts as my fitness routine too, so at least 10km is required. Less than that and it doesn't feel like a work out!

Wooops! Thanks for pointing that out to me, I am so blind sometimes! @Jan_89 will contact you shortly via PM, perhaps we could get together for a walk and a pivo? SY

Hmmmm. Yes, but your 'big, crowded city' is Prague -- one of the prettiest cities in the world (and one of my personal favorites)! Just goes to show that no matter where you live, it's always nice to go somewhere else... :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Actually it is quite possible to do that, even when working, if you look at a 'typical day':

8 hours sleep
8 hours work
8 hours other activities

Depending how you need to fill these 'other activities' (commute, running errands etc.) it is still possible to fit 2-3 hours/day walking in. For many people, not addressing anyone here personally!, this would just mean cutting down on their TV/Internet time, get out off the couch and walk.

Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Actually it is quite possible to do that, even when working, if you look at a 'typical day':

8 hours sleep
8 hours work
8 hours other activities

Depending how you need to fill these 'other activities' (commute, running errands etc.) it is still possible to fit 2-3 hours/day walking in. For many people, not addressing anyone here personally!, this would just mean cutting down on their TV/Internet time, get out off the couch and walk.

Buen Camino, SY

I'm lucky I'm newly retired. I certainly was not able to find 2 hours to walk daily before.

Of those "other activities", 1 more hour was spent working at my professional job, 2-3 hours were spent commuting (depending if I drove or took the bus), 1 hour reading to unwind before bed, another 1 hour cooking and eating, 1 measly hour for family communications, leaving only 1 more hour for exercise, TV or internet. Even the weekends were dominated by caring for my mother until she died.

So it is not easy! But yes, it is usually possible and desirable, to find at least 4-5 hours a week to walk. I certainly found that to be time well spent.

Oh, you are all so inspiring! I turn into a sloth about a month after I come home. The intention to keep fit is there, but somehow my body refuses to rise early from my bed. My legs don't obey my conscience or reasoning. It's a mystery. Present me with a car and my instinct is to jump in.
Besides, isn't it part of the Camino experience to learn (and re-learn) penitence?

Kanga (who is so excited to be going again she actually is doing some training. But would not want to peak too soon...,)

I am the same Kanga.I think it is getting back to Australia in the middle of winter,I feel so healthy and fit after my yearly Camino but within a short time I plunge into a hole until Spring(Sept) and then start dragging myself up again and start researching my next year's trip. Sad! Eh!
Heather

I injuried my leg after my last camino so I didn't move much between September and December. But now it is healed and I'm back on track. Have always been a "walker" so I log 10 km/day in average. 278 km so far in January. If I bring the camera it takes 2 h if not between 1 h 30 or 1 h 45 min. I have challenged my self to take at least 1 picture per day this year, training my eye for finding interesting things. So I have a reason to go out in -30 C as well.

I never have trained for the camino. As I walk quite often I can do the 40 km legs on the camino without extra training.

I'm lucky I'm newly retired. I certainly was not able to find 2 hours to walk daily before.

Of those "other activities", 1 more hour was spent working at my professional job, 2-3 hours were spent commuting (depending if I drove or took the bus), 1 hour reading to unwind before bed, another 1 hour cooking and eating, 1 measly hour for family communications, leaving only 1 more hour for exercise, TV or internet. Even the weekends were dominated by caring for my mother until she died.

So it is not easy! But yes, it is usually possible and desirable, to find at least 4-5 hours a week to walk. I certainly found that to be time well spent.

So how did you walk the Camino ?

2.5 hours per day commuting [ average] x 5 days x 47 weeks per annum = 588 hours a year or 15 weeks extra work . Commuting time shows how many hours are associated with working ...... as we are all unique, none of us are the same............. we should look after ourselves first.

Last edited:
Oh, you are all so inspiring! I turn into a sloth about a month after I come home. The intention to keep fit is there, but somehow my body refuses to rise early from my bed. My legs don't obey my conscience or reasoning. It's a mystery. Present me with a car and my instinct is to jump in.
Besides, isn't it part of the Camino experience to learn (and re-learn) penitence?

Kanga (who is so excited to be going again she actually is doing some training. But would not want to peak too soon...,)
@Kanga, I am glad not to be alone is suffering from the post-Camino slump. I normally catch up with family and friends in England before coming home, eat too much traditional English food, and take forever to get back into my exercise routine. I was beginning to feel embarrassed by all those who appear to have got back into rhythm so quickly.

Of course we should all look after ourselves, but we have to balance our responsibilities to ourselves with our other responsibilities. For most people, being able to take time out to even do the Camino is a luxury. Finding the time to continue to take long walks several times a week is difficult to do - I think it is great when people can do that, it's just a challenge for lot of people. I fit in an hour of exercise before work a few days a week and then larger blocks of time on weekends - averaging 4-6 hours of exercise per week. It's definitely easier to get more walking in during the summer when there are more daylight hours. This time of year, daylight hours match up almost exactly to my work hours, which is really inconvenient.

Very inspiring thread! I had been wondering how people kept fit in between caminos, now I know!
After my first camino, I just kept walking, too , so I found my second much easier. But last winter, - those in the UK may remember? - it just kept raining and raining.... All the paths I knew were flooded or in deep mud so it put me off after a while :(.
Anyway, this year I have joined both the local Ramblers group and the Long distance walkers.... I walked about 24 km with them today in deep mud AND non-stop rain but no excuse not to go as people were expecting me. (Mind you, all this said, last week's walks were cancelled because of flooding lol).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

I think a problem with modern society is the time it takes to travel to work. Luckily, I work from home, and even if I didn't, living on a small island means it would never be a long drive to work. I can't imagine spending an hour to get to work and an hour to get back... crazy waste of time! But I suppose it there is no other way...

Of course we should all look after ourselves, but we have to balance our responsibilities to ourselves with our other responsibilities. For most people, being able to take time out to even do the Camino is a luxury. Finding the time to continue to take long walks several times a week is difficult to do - I think it is great when people can do that, it's just a challenge for lot of people. I fit in an hour of exercise before work a few days a week and then larger blocks of time on weekends - averaging 4-6 hours of exercise per week. It's definitely easier to get more walking in during the summer when there are more daylight hours. This time of year, daylight hours match up almost exactly to my work hours, which is really inconvenient.
Get the family to walk with you, then you are combining family time with your walking time, then it doesn't seem selfish, and you get the whole family fit!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Falcon is there a map available ?

You can find it in the resources section: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...of-routes-in-santiago-de-compostela-guide.16/

I've been meaning to do this walk for years now but never have. However, if you are looking for somewhere to walk in Santiago, it's well worth it to walk up to the Cidade de Cultura or whatever that crazy modern empty set of building is called. I was there two years ago, and there was a beautiful exhibit about the Oronoco people in Brazil, really great.

This is a very inspiring thread like many posters have said - all in varying ways. I, too, have continued to walk most days post-camino. It's meditative - and I pay more attention to that than to pace or distance ( much as I did on my camino). It's almost never less than thirty minutes, but some days that what works. I'm grateful that I learned how valuable my walking time is spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and grateful to enjoy good health enough to lace up and get moving.
This thread makes me smile :)!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Easy to say this in a warm place such as Thailand......but when you live here? http://instagram.com/p/yQB-yKyn2e/?modal=true

well, I live only about 400km away from the arctic circle. rather short daylight and a lot of snow right now. on workdays I go out after the dinner, typically between 7pm and 9pm. since we got illuminated skiing tracks in the neighbourhood, it is not so terrible dark after all. then sauna, ginger tee, and you can sleep like a baby. weekends are different, then whole family joins me, and we go out for several hours before lunch, which traditionally includes grilled salmon and some good sauvignon blanc. so, the combination of fresh air with little pleasures keeps me going :)

Agreed, but it acts as my fitness routine too, so at least 10km is required. Less than that and it doesn't feel like a work out!
I find I crave to walk after doing the Camino. I found the time walking on the Camino helped to align my thoughts. Now, I look forward to that time of 'walking meditation' to help solve problems or answer questions for myself. "Solvitur Ambulando" latin for Walking Solves All. A quote I put on a charm for a necklace after my completion of the Camino.

Used to live in Europe where I walked a lot. Moved back to the States. Big mistake. Very little decent mass transit, have to use cars! So no walking between stops like I did every day in Europe. Also, it's a 40-hour work week--minimum--in the US. Time off is scarce and you are "encouraged" to work overtime much of the time. Rarely more than one or two weeks of holiday. I don't really fit here anymore. And I'm just not going to start with healthcare. Egad! But no, I don't walk nearly as much as I used to and it makes me sad.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just food for thought: You can walk after the sun sets ... Buen Camino, SY

Why didn't I think of that ? (slaps forehead with palm) ;)

Get the family to walk with you, then you are combining family time with your walking time, then it doesn't seem selfish, and you get the whole family fit!

If only life was that simple. You assume a lot about my post that just wasn't there. I wasn't talking about selfishness or children whom I could take walking with me. I'm glad that you have the time to walk many km every day - I do think that's really great. You are blessed with a great situation: the time and the flexibility to spend many many hours a week walking. Enjoy it. But please don't lead others down the path of frustration by telling us that if we only *really* wanted it, we too could spend 2-3 hours walking every day. Some of us struggle to find time to walk at all on a regular basis, and it isn't a matter of just needing to re-prioritize - it's just the reality of life in which a lot has to get done in those hours left over between work and sleep.

You can walk after sunsets if you live in a safe city, but I'm not going out after dark--not in US cities. I exercise inside. No family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the US is an exceptional place, but I understand how it is hard to have a job and live your life and still find time to be active. But it can be done if you make it a priority. But you have to pay attention. Don't take elevators, park far from the store, stand up and move around instead of sit at work, walk on your lunch break. It's a bummer that we have to fight against the current to be active, but I think it is worth it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well said Laurie. So right now, I'm putting aside this addictive Forum and going for a walk.. . .

My first Camino was from Leon to Santiago...had been a complete couch potato - actually had been sitting in an office and on a plane for 10 years. Went without any training and was amazed I made it farther than a mile. Came home and my daughter challenged me to walk a 1/2 marathon with her. That turned into running three marathons. Somehow I just kept moving.

Unfortunately I have the walking bug too... I left my job to walk the Camino Frances in May 2013, and have since walked three more caminos, 3 trails in England, one in Japan, one in Italy and I'm now 560 miles into the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail. I don't think I'll ever be cured!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Unfortunately I have the walking bug too... I left my job to walk the Camino Frances in May 2013, and have since walked three more caminos, 3 trails in England, one in Japan, one in Italy and I'm now 560 miles into the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail. I don't think I'll ever be cured!
Wow! I am impressed. Lucky you...wish it was me

We walked 4-6 miles a day before the Camino. We have continued afterwards. Once every week or two we go 9-10 miles. Our child and our dog both expect our urban Caminos around New Orleans, and we even have a bar we always stop off at just like on the Camino.......but it doesn't feel as Spanish as we'd like ;)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back