• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does anyone have a winter packing list?

crg4

Time of past OR future Camino
22 January 2017
I was planning to walk the Camino De Santiago very late April 2017. Now my plans have changed and it looks like I will be walking from late January 2017.
Would anyone have a packing list for a winter walk ?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
crg4,

Welcome to the Forum!

Most of us who walk or have walked in late autumn/winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment
topic http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/equipment-questions.30/
to see a multitude of varied approaches.

Here's mine
http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

Be sure to scan this recent Forum thread for posts/ links for many tips to help you prepare your winter camino.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...forum-walking-this-dec-jan.42732/#post-437828

Happy planning and Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you @mspath.
Do I need different boots for a winter Camino (soles)?

This is not an ad but a personal comment.
Most of my kit came from Decathlon; here are the boots I wore
Lightweight, water proof and sturdy; each pair lasted
at least two caminos.

Ice grips which are added/worn on the sole of your boot can also be very useful.

Last edited:
I take a pair of lightweight gaiters to stop the rain and snow filling my shoes from above. Nothing will keep your feet totally dry all day, but every little helps keep the wet out a bit longer. I don't like walking in boots, but if that's your choice then yo will stay dry longer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Rain gear --- pants and jacket --- cuts wind and is a good outer layer in snow conditions.
A fleece jacket
A scarf
Ragknit light wool gloves
A hat --- I like Outdoor Research Sun Runner Cap. The skirt that protects from sun also cuts wind.
Sun glasses should be worn if there is a sunny day and there is snow on the ground to protect from glare. Sun glasses also keep rain and ice pellets from blowing into your eyes.

I'd suggest carrying a down filled jacket for evening use.

If snow is deeper than your ankles walk on the --- plowed --- road.

The danger if you are not aware is that of slipping on ice. The worst is black ice that forms on pavement and merely ... innocently ... looks wet.

Yaktrax makes ice traction devices that you can strap onto your shoes.

You will generate a lot of heat while walking. You will want to layer your clothing so that you can put on and take off as needed. The sweet spot is where you are just about uncomfortable. Avoid sweating. You lose most of your heat through your head; if your feet are cold put on a warm hat.

COLD rule is Clean Overlapping Layers of Dry clothes.

We walked for days in the snow, rain, sleet and hail.
1, smart wool long sleeve, 1` short sleeve, (1 smart wool long underwear used only twice). I light Patagonia fleece.
I rain coat, water/wind proof pants. 2 quick dry pants. 2 smart wool hiking socks and liners.
I live in the northwest U S and am cold much of the time, but this sufficient clothing for me for 35 days. We only had 5 days of sunshine the entire way. I am planning my next walk the Norte for next November- December.

Thank you all for the knowledge you have passed on. @mspath, I have read your blog/gazette. What great journeys and miracles you have experienced. This was very encouraging reading for me.
@whariwharangi I have now spent quite some time researching Yaktraks, gaiters and wet weather gear. What did we ever do without the internet?? The closest outdoor equipment store is about 4 hours drive.
The main thing is, perhaps my pack will not be as heavy as I thought it might be.
Living in a hot climate, it is hard to imagine walking through snow, sleet or cold rain .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.