• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does anyone have experience of forwarding a suitcase from Le Puy to St Jean?

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Fin/Muxia CI CPr 2022
Via Podiensis CF 2024
We are planning to walk the Via Podiensis beginning in April, 2024. We are wondering if anyone has sent a suitcase directly from Le Puy to St Jean to await our eventual arrival there?
We have previously used the Express Bourricot service from St Jean to Santiago. Is there an equivalent option between Le Puy and St Jean?
Or, would La Poste be an option?
We would be grateful for any relevant advice.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there. I haven’t done that but I think La Poste would be easiest and cheapest option. We are living in Lectoure at the moment and my husband is soon having a suitcase sent from Paris by a family member. Very common practice.

Only complication I can think of - you may need to check how long your suitcase can be held at La Poste in SJPP, assuming it takes you a month or more to walk the Le Puy Way. 😎

Thank you very much Pelerina for your quick response to our question.
We were actually thinking of using La Poste to send it to Express Bourricot in St Jean and asking them to keep it for us until we arrive. We are contacting Express Bourricot ourselves to ask this. We have used the services of Express Bourricot a number of times in the past from St Jean but this will be our first time walking to St Jean.
We have used Correos in the past, from Barcelona to Santiago, and we were hoping that La Poste might do the same.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That’s a great idea. If you have someone to send it to the time period won’t present a problem. It’s a wonderful path 😎

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We are planning to walk the Via Podiensis beginning in April, 2024. We are wondering if anyone has sent a suitcase directly from Le Puy to St Jean to await our eventual arrival there?
We have previously used the Express Bourricot service from St Jean to Santiago. Is there an equivalent option between Le Puy and St Jean?
Hi
I am going for camino start from st jean on 4th June after serving in lourdes. Still finding to send my luggage to santiago. Read yours, mean express bourricot can send mine? How much? How to book or contact them? Thank you. Beatrix

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have heard back from Express Bourricot and unfortunately they don’t store luggage, they don’t have enough room.
We will now investigate further, possibly asking the Gite we would like to stay at if they might store our suitcase.

We have heard back from Express Bourricot and unfortunately they don’t store luggage, they don’t have enough room.
We will now investigate further, possibly asking the Gite we would like to stay at if they might store our suitcase.
How did you go? We are in the same boat!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I posted via Laposte.fr a bycicle case to Santiago sept 2023. So to St Jean should be no issue. The only thing is when you book the package via laposte.fr you need to have a french IP address (use a VPN) and at the end of the process it turns out to be valid for 7 or 10 days.

Good luck
Jos

How did you go? We are in the same boat!
We still haven’t finalised what we are going to do next year. Once we have booked our flights in a couple of months possibly, we will then start booking accommodation and ask our accommodation in St Jean if they will receive it. We have already asked our preferred accommodation in St Jean but they are unable to receive our suitcase.
If we can’t send it to St Jean we will send it straight to Casa Ivar in Santiago from LePuy.
PM us if you would like more info.

Thank you … maybe we will have the answer for you when we walk in September! Shame there was no Ivar franchise in ST.J

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bonjour @Anne&Pat For info - you may be able to achieve what you're looking for through a combination.

La Malle Postale operates between Le Puy en Velay and Lectoure. They offer a service that allows you to leave your suitcase in their office in Le Puy and, when you are getting near to e.g. Lectoure, you notify them (with some days' notice I guess) and they will have your luggage there (at your accommodation) to meet you.

From Lectoure to SJPP, another service may offer the same thing, but you'd need to check.

For example, Transport Claudine does day to day baggage transfer from Conques through to SJPP. Perhaps they also offer a similar service to La Malle Postale and could take your luggage through to SJPP to arrive there on your same day arrival.

Both La Malle Postale and Transport Claudine have good reputations, as far as I know. I think there are a few more baggage transport companies that go through to SJPP, but I am not familiar with them.

All the best. The Le Puy Way is wonderful.

Bonjour @Anne&Pat For info - you may be able to achieve what you're looking for through a combination.

La Malle Postale operates between Le Puy en Velay and Lectoure. They offer a service that allows you to leave your suitcase in their office in Le Puy and, when you are getting near to e.g. Lectoure, you notify them (with some days' notice I guess) and they will have your luggage there (at your accommodation) to meet you.

From Lectoure to SJPP, another service may offer the same thing, but you'd need to check.

For example, Transport Claudine does day to day baggage transfer from Conques through to SJPP. Perhaps they also offer a similar service to La Malle Postale and could take your luggage through to SJPP to arrive there on your same day arrival.

Both La Malle Postale and Transport Claudine have good reputations, as far as I know. I think there are a few more baggage transport companies that go through to SJPP, but I am not familiar with them.

All the best. The Le Puy Way is wonderful.

Thank you very much Pelerina, this information is very helpful. We will follow up.

Thank you very much Pelerina, this information is very helpful. We will follow up.
Just a thought. If you start by asking La Malle Postale how far they can take your suitcase - i think it will be Lectoure. You could also ask them if they know if Transport Claudine or other provider can do the same from there to SJPP to arrive at same time as you.

I have found La Malle Postale is very responsive to email. We haven’t used their baggage service but I did make enquiries about hitching a ride with them to take us from Lectoure (where we are living) back to Le Puy to walk from there. They were helpful and responsive.

Do let me know how you get on. I’m on the ground here, so may be able to help if you get stuck. 😎

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just a thought. If you start by asking La Malle Postale how far they can take your suitcase - i think it will be Lectoure. You could also ask them if they know if Transport Claudine or other provider can do the same from there to SJPP to arrive at same time as you.

I have found La Malle Postale is very responsive to email. We haven’t used their baggage service but I did make enquiries about hitching a ride with them to take us from Lectoure (where we are living) back to Le Puy to walk from there. They were helpful and responsive.

Do let me know how you get on. I’m on the ground here, so may be able to help if you get stuck. 😎

Thank you again. We will email La Malle Postale in a couple of weeks, after we are home from visiting family. Will definitely let you know how we get on.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back