• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does backpack size vary based on length of the camino?

DeniseAndGuy

This question may have been asked previously but I couldn't find it so I apologize if it's a repeat...we are planning on doing a short camino- Sarria to Santiago. Does this affect the size of backpack required or is the list of items pretty similar regardless of camino length?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can even "do" it without backpack and carry a "daypack". Send the items you think you will need before and after each day's walk to the next destination (by jacotrans or similar) . Bulk stuff can be sent ahead to Ivar's office in Santiago. Your "list of items" has not limitations!:p

Sarria to Santiago? You can do it easily in 5-6 days.
Definitely only need a day pack, or a small framed backpack at the most.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola

Welcome to the forum.
It really depends on what your plan is :)
Such as if you intend to continue traveling afterwards, what time of year you plan to walk, how many km you think you will walk daily.
If your plan is to walk during spring, summer, autumn you may not need sleeping bag, warm cloths, thermos and such.
This will reduce your pack items and thereby your backpack.
As stated above, the distance can be done in 5-7 days and if you only have to carry gear for that distance, you can easily do the walk with a very small backpack.
Remember that you will be walking through rural areas with plenty of food, water and shops that sells everything you may need.
You could even go real easy with only the cloths you are wearing, a poncho, some personal items and that's it.
All depends on your wish for your camino experience.

Buen Camino
Letinggo

This question may have been asked previously but I couldn't find it so I apologize if it's a repeat...we are planning on doing a short camino- Sarria to Santiago. Does this affect the size of backpack required or is the list of items pretty similar regardless of camino length?
If I recall correctly, that distance is just over 100kms - so you should be able to complete it in 4-6 days. For this distance and length of time, you certainly do not need to carry much. As a point of reference, I did the camino Frances from SJPP using a 30-liter pack [Gregory] at 12 lbs. Try your best to keep things small, simple and light. Your legs, knees, feet, back....will shout with joy in thanking you for this decision - every step of the way! Buen camino!

For me: anything which stays in my pack for 4 days or more without being used could be left at home. For that reason, it doesn't really matter for my backpack if I do 4 days or 40 days of camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For me: anything which stays in my pack for 4 days or more without being used can could have left at home. For that reason, it doesn't really matter for my backpack if I do 4 days or 40 days of camino.
I agree Thomas, this is also my approach. You can have the exact same weather/walking conditions in four to six days as in four to forty days so you will need the the same basic amount of gear IMO.

Length of walk wouldn't dictate the size of my pack as I took bare minimums. An extra outfit of clothes, minimal toiletries, sleep sack, wind breaker, poncho, hat. There was nothing in the pack that I didn't use daily, except maybe the poncho, and I definitely wouldn't go without it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
it always amazes me how much a weekend trip requires. I agree with the 4 days is same as 40. I guess a very positive weather forecast could change that a bit.

As far as backpack size, most packs have compression straps which allow them to work quite well under stuffed.

I used a Berghaus verdana 45+8. It was plenty large enough and I did not have to crush things down yo get them in. Camino Frances

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I took a Deuter Guide 45+ on the Camino Ingles with a very similar load to what I walked with on the CF and St Olav's Way - both were over 30+ days.

It might be possible to reduce some things, eg my camera battery didn't need re-charging, but I carried a charger that I could really have done without over the length of the CI, but would have needed for the CF. There were some spares I carried based on my experience on the CF which I eventually didn't need, but I always debate not taking them. Overall, these would have made a small difference, but I don't think it would have been enough to allow me to use a much smaller pack.

Regards,

Last edited:
For me: anything which stays in my pack for 4 days or more without being used could be left at home. For that reason, it doesn't really matter for my backpack if I do 4 days or 40 days of camino.
Thomas: I agree with your approach completely. I subscribe to the school of simplicity and lightness while traveling - be it on the camino or elsewhere. However, there's only one item in my pack that is not used perhaps for 4 or more days but I will not leave it at home: my rain pants. For rain gear on the camino, I had a rain jacket and a pair of rain pants. The rain jacket (OR Helium II at about 6 oz. - less than the advertised weight) I used quite frequently - outside of my fleece jacket for warmth and wind breaking. The rain pants was used only when it rained - which may not happen for days. BTW, I did the CF in from early April to early May - so it definitely rained.

Thomas: I agree with your approach completely. I subscribe to the school of simplicity and lightness while traveling - be it on the camino or elsewhere. However, there's only one item in my pack that is not used perhaps for 4 or more days but I will not leave it at home: my rain pants. For rain gear on the camino, I had a rain jacket and a pair of rain pants. The rain jacket (OR Helium II at about 6 oz. - less than the advertised weight) I used quite frequently - outside of my fleece jacket for warmth and wind breaking. The rain pants was used only when it rained - which may not happen for days. BTW, I did the CF in from early April to early May - so it definitely rained.
You'r all right! Rain gear is the exception. Although I tend to take also the minimun in this, only a raincoat. This is also because I've been very lucky till now, in my 4 months of camino/hiking till now althogether, I only had light rain for like 4 days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Just picking Gear for my first camino in the summer. How did you like the Helium 2?

List of items the same therefore same size backpack, be it for one week or several months.
Buen camino:)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.