• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does my plan for mailing some supplies ahead to myself make sense?

hawkeyepierce

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July 22
Hello all,

I'm setting off on the CF from SJPDP on July 27. I'm concerned my shoes won't survive the entire camino given how much training I've been doing so I bought a second pair of the same shoe which I have been breaking in. I'd like to mail it ahead to myself and I'm getting confused by all the options.

My goal is to mail it about a week ahead at a time.

This is my current plan and I'd like to understand if it works or can be improved or simplified:

1) Mail shoes from Paris or SJPDP via UPS to a UPS access point in Pamplona.
2) From Pamplona, send to Burgos via Correos poste restante.
3) Repeat with Correos until I reach SdC or use the shoes.

Questions:
1) Is UPS (or DHL or other private shipper) the most reliable way to send an item ahead from France? I'm not concerned about cost.
2) I'm assuming that sending items to Correos locations in big cities is more reliable than small towns. Correct or no?

Thank you all so much for your help!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all,

I'm setting off on the CF from SJPDP on July 27. I'm concerned my shoes won't survive the entire camino given how much training I've been doing so I bought a second pair of the same shoe which I have been breaking in. I'd like to mail it ahead to myself and I'm getting confused by all the options.

This is my current plan and I'd like to understand if it works or can be improved or simplified:

Questions:
1) Is UPS (or DHL or other private shipper) the most reliable way to send an item ahead from France? I'm not concerned about cost.
2) I'm assuming that sending items to Correos locations in big cities is more reliable than small towns. Correct or no?

No, it does not make sense

Take a broken in pair of shoes (not broken down)...they'll last the 25-30 days you'll hike. Trust your Camino and "hike your own hike", but this feels an awful lot like you're overthinking this. If your shoes are in good shape, they'll be okay (and the broken down part...I went over in a pair of these and, while not optimal, it wasn't terminal either...you're going to do great)

If you find yourself having issues, there is a service where you can transport your pack each day which would take some weight off your back (and ideally your feet).

I'm assuming that sending items to Correos locations in big cities is more reliable than small towns. Correct or no?
Yes, this will certainly work and they offer special postal rates for pilgrims. Watch what day of the week you will arrive as Correos is only week days in some places and you probably don't want to hang around waiting for them to open.

I can't help with SJPdP.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No, it does not make sense

Take a broken in pair of shoes (not broken down)...they'll last the 25-30 days you'll hike. Trust your Camino and "hike your own hike", but this feels an awful lot like you're overthinking this. If your shoes are in good shape, they'll be okay (and the broken down part...I went over in a pair of these and, while not optimal, it wasn't terminal either...you're going to do great)

If you find yourself having issues, there is a service where you can transport your pack each day which would take some weight off your back (and ideally your feet).
Exactly - don't over complicate your life. You will arrive at your hostel tired, dirty and hungry - that's enough to have to deal with. Have a cervesa, stroll around town, visit the cathedral...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you want to cover all the angles (although I personally agree with the others, above, who say just set off in your new shoes) check out availability of your chosen shoes in Leon.

Given what the Dollar’s worth at the moment you might as well stock up in the Eurozone.

I agree with all the responses above but would like to add the following key point to your specific questions.

I have done this ‘mailing ahead’ trick with extra supplies that were weighing me down. I only did it once, sending my supplies from Najera. It was generally easy with Correos. My only experience is mailing within Spain. I would do it again if I found it absolutely necessary, but I definitely wouldn’t plan it as part of my Camino.

Your new pair of shoes should become your primary before you leave. If they cause you pain these few walks before you fly, just imagine the pain they’ll give you at the given point on the Camino once you begin using them. Best to figure these issues out before you go.

Yes, this will certainly work and they offer special postal rates for pilgrims. Watch what day of the week you will arrive as Correos is only week days in some places and you probably don't want to hang around waiting for them to open.

I can't help with SJPdP.

Correos hours can be (to foreigners) inexplicably eccentric, and will often vary from place to place. They tend to be open in the mornings. Google for each location's hours with placename correos horarios and this may save you a half-day of sitting around. As well, ensure that the name on the parcel is the same as in your passport as in Firstname Middlename FAMILYNAME.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Addendum: google maps will show you the locations of the Correos in the towns and cities so you can assess the distances from the route fairly easily.

Simplification and minimalisation is a point learned by many along the Way.
I think your Camino has started. ;)
~ Buen Camino

If you are starting in SJPdP I would want to be wearing shoes with lots of tread as you will be facing some potentially slippery downhill spots. So start by wearing the new shoes. Normally, most pilgrims can get a camIno out of a pair new shoes? But only you know how much wear and tear your shoes can handle.

In Spain, I've always used Correos - multiple times from 2013-2021, and found them very helpful and efficient - IF this is what you want to do.

As @oursonpolaire mentions, pay attention to the open days & hours of Correos in the town you're sending to. Some are only open a couple of hours a day... once or twice a week...

I was advised by Correos to use my name as the sender AND recipient, and exactly as on your passport, and always indicate 'peregrino/a'.

In France, I would use the French postal service to send from Paris to SJPP.

IF you decided to wait to purchase new footwear, the larger towns and cities have Decathlon stores which are frequently a bit out of the city center with buses - sometimes free - ask at any tourist office or wherever you're staying. There are also many other equipment and gear shops that carry quality merchandise and are centrally located.

¡Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all!

For context, my shoes are Hoka Speedgoat 5s. I started training with them about three months ago and realized I've put enough mileage on the first pair that the camino would put me beyond their 600 mile rating.

I started breaking in the second pair two weeks ago so I think I'll just take only those rather than mailing a backup pair ahead.

Thank you all!

For context, my shoes are Hoka Speedgoat 5s. I started training with them about three months ago and realized I've put enough mileage on the first pair that the camino would put me beyond their 600 mile rating.

I started breaking in the second pair two weeks ago so I think I'll just take only those rather than mailing a backup pair ahead.
If the new ones feel good now, I would stop wearing them now and not wear down the tread/cushioning any more pre-Camino. They aren't going to get any more "broken in."

For my first Camino I brought a brand new pair of shoes of the same model that I had trained in that I had only worn twice, just to make sure that there wasn't any manufacturing defects in them. It worked out perfectly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Sounds like a wise decision. Mailing something ahead of yourself, that you must plan for in various cities and grab before you can move on, would probably end up being no fun after a while.

Buen Camino!

I'm concerned my shoes won't survive the entire camino given how much training I've been doing so I bought a second pair of the same shoe which I have been breaking in

I would wear the new pair on a couple of long walks at home to make sure that there are no issues with them and take only the new pair with you. Unless they are leather boots, modern shoes really don't require a long break in period.
I agree completely especially if they are trail runners. You are way overthinking this and probably other things too. It is normal for a first time pilgrim. Remember you are in Spain not Siberia. You will go through endless towns and villages and small and large cities. Everything you need will be there for you or a day or two away. Remember your feet will expand especially in the heat of summer. Your training at home for almost all of us cannot duplicate your camino. If they just fit now they will be tight on the camino. Others may disagree but I think this holds true for most all people.

€46,-

If the new ones feel good now, I would stop wearing them now and not wear down the tread/cushioning any more pre-Camino. They aren't going to get any more "broken in."

For my first Camino I brought a brand new pair of shoes of the same model that I had trained in that I had only worn twice, just to make sure that there wasn't any manufacturing defects in them. It worked out perfectly.
I have worn the same brand of Cascadias made by Brooks for all my caminos. The style and look change but I still get the same results every time.
1,000% agree with trecile. Put the new ones in the closet now. Use the old ones until you go.

Just check for the Decathlons along the way. I had a glance at their website, they’re all along the CF. I’m sure there are other outfitters. If you know what you want, just email the store and ask them to hold a pair for X date, I’m sure they’ll be flexible.
I’m not taking my trekking poles, so that my bag can be a carry on and not risk losing my bag (I’m in Canada and the government seems to be doing everything to discourage travel…they’ve brought cv testing at the airport even though the health authorities didn’t want it) and our airports are chaotic.
I’ll just buy a pair in SJPDP. There must be a mountain of poles at the end of the walk…
On the subject of lost bags, consider throwing an Apple airtag in your bag.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree completely especially if they are trail runners. You are way overthinking this and probably other things too. It is normal for a first time pilgrim. Remember you are in Spain not Siberia. You will go through endless towns and villages and small and large cities. Everything you need will be there for you or a day or two away. Remember your feet will expand especially in the heat of summer. Your training at home for almost all of us cannot duplicate your camino. If they just fit now they will be tight on the camino. Others may disagree but I think this holds true for most all people.

I went up a full 1.5 sizes from my regular size to account for foot swelling. I've been doing 10+ mile walks in the heat. I live in the foothills of Colorado with dry, arid plains on one side of town and 2000ft peaks on the other side, and it gets plenty hot so I hope my training conditions have been reasonably similar to the Camino.
Just check for the Decathlons along the way. I had a glance at their website, they’re all along the CF. I’m sure there are other outfitters. If you know what you want, just email the store and ask them to hold a pair for X date, I’m sure they’ll be flexible.
I’m not taking my trekking poles, so that my bag can be a carry on and not risk losing my bag (I’m in Canada and the government seems to be doing everything to discourage travel…they’ve brought cv testing at the airport even though the health authorities didn’t want it) and our airports are chaotic.
I’ll just buy a pair in SJPDP. There must be a mountain of poles at the end of the walk…
On the subject of lost bags, consider throwing an Apple airtag in your bag.
An airtag is a good idea, I'll pick one of those up before I leave.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Questions:

I wouldn’t bother , anything you will need you can get along the way

Hello all,

Questions:

I wore my shoes exactly once before I started my Camino. I didn't get a blister . I don't believe you need to "walk-in" your shoes. If they aren't comfortable when you buy them - don't. At the worst, there are hiking shoe shops in Spain.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello all,

Questions:

I agree with the others about not complicating your time on the Camino by over planning. I also want to comment on the reliability of Correos in smaller towns. I sent a package from Carrion de los Condes to Santiago and the Correos workers were very helpful. The package arrived with no problem. Then I sent a box from Santiago to Madrid. I would describe the worker as not helpful and the box never arrived. I had also sent something from Burgos to Madrid. Again the person was not helpful and the package arrived but the cost was over twice as much as other similar packages. At the end of the trip I sent my collapsible hiking poles to the US from El Escorial, a ways outside of Madrid where I was visiting friends. Again a smaller place with a very helpful person at the counter. The poles arrived with no problem and the cost was significantly cheaper than the cost for the checked bag that they would require for poles when flying out of Madrid. In short, over the three months I spent walking in Spain and Portugal I found using Correos in smaller places to be a better experience than sending things from bigger cities.

You are way overthinking this and probably other things too... Everything you need will be there for you or a day or two away.
I wouldn’t bother , anything you will need you can get along the way
The OP seems to have taken the advice of many, and in post #14 says that he'll wear the new shoes and avoid the complication of forwarding them. I think that's a good decision for the situation described.

However, I would like to point out that shoes are the most important item that a pilgrim has, so it is not "over thinking" to consider how to ensure that you have the shoes you need for the entire Camino.

My cushioned shoes deteriorate after about 500 km, causing very sore feet which could potentially end a Camino. Many or most people are able to buy suitable shoes in any sports shoe store. I usually cannot, but will not bore you with the details. I am currently waiting for the manufacturer to make some more of the model and size that I need, so I can stock up on a few pairs.

Most people will do fine with a single pair of newish shoes for the Camino Frances - even if they are light weight running shoes. However, as my feet get older, they are more difficult to satisfy. Nowadays, if I were planning to walk a Camino much longer than 500 km, I would definitely arrange a backup pair of shoes. This is not because I am a novice pilgrim or a worrier or an over thinker. It is because I am an experienced pilgrim, I know my feet, and I am an appropriate planner for my needs!

The OP seems to have taken the advice of many, and in post #14 says that he'll wear the new shoes and avoid the complication of forwarding them. I think that's a good decision for the situation described.

However, I would like to point out that shoes are the most important item that a pilgrim has, so it is not "over thinking" to consider how to ensure that you have the shoes you need for the entire Camino.

My cushioned shoes deteriorate after about 500 km, causing very sore feet which could potentially end a Camino. Many or most people are able to buy suitable shoes in any sports shoe store. I usually cannot, but will not bore you with the details. I am currently waiting for the manufacturer to make some more of the model and size that I need, so I can stock up on a few pairs.

Most people will do fine with a single pair of newish shoes for the Camino Frances - even if they are light weight running shoes. However, as my feet get older, they are more difficult to satisfy. Nowadays, if I were planning to walk a Camino much longer than 500 km, I would definitely arrange a backup pair of shoes. This is not because I am a novice pilgrim or a worrier or an over thinker. It is because I am an experienced pilgrim, I know my feet, and I am an appropriate planner for my needs!
Yes, 9 Camino's and had never thought or needed another pair of shoes. This summer, they got very wet, the foam in the heel deteriorated and caused a massive heel blister (first one ever.) We duck taped and tried everything, but it was impossible to fix. The women in Spain evidently have small feet and it is difficult to get a comparable to size 10. Saying all that, I doubt I will take a second pair next spring, but now I have a better understanding of those that struggle with their boots/shoes on the trail. Just a reminder that everyones experience (on every Camino) is different and our advice is shaped by our experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What you’re suggesting seems to be more complicated that what it has to be. If you are traveling light, a pack weighing between 12-14 pounds, adding a second pair of shoes won’t be a hardship to carry. I walk with a 36L pack in which I have plenty of room if I were to want to add more to it. When I walked the CF, I did not wear out my shoes which were well broken in Merrill Moabs. On subsequent Caminos, I have worn trail running shoes which did not need breaking in. It seems that if you can carry everything with you life will be simplier. You may not really need a second pair of shoes, other than sandals for post walking in the afternoons and evenings.

I've decided to just bring my newer pair. I have a lightweight pair of Oofos recovery sandals for evening.

I did a trial packing run yesterday and my gear came to exactly 5kg, leaving 2kg for water.

That makes sense. And despite our own obsessive planning that led to sending two (!!) boxes ahead to Ivar in Santiago along the way, my husband ended up buying new hiking sandals in Burgos that he alternated with his boots.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back