A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Does SJPP have slow days and busy days?

2020 Camino Guides
Camino(s) past & future
2021?
I am wondering if there is any information/statistics on average Pilgrim departures from SJPP broken down by weekdays.

Is Sunday an extremely busy day on average? Are there other days later in the week that have lower departure rates? Just wondering if it makes sense to plan when to depart from SJPP to minimize crowds on those first 2-3 days of the camino.

Or is it a crush everyday? :)

Thanks!

Jim

thejoker

Camino(s) past & future
many
It also depends on when you head out. You can enjoy a very quiet SJPdP on pretty much any day of the week if you begin your Camino in January or early February..
If you are afraid of crowds, Winter would be best, or try a quieter Camino maybe.

Rick M

Camino(s) past & future
April ('16,'18, '19)
I thought about this very question before my first Camino. The consensus seems to be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are busier than the others. I left on a Tuesday. I have come to realize that this is, as the Brits call it, a mug's game. Leaving on Tuesday drops you into Pamplona on Friday (I stopped at Orisson), and you have then a "peak" day for people that start in Pamplona. Eight or ten days later, you have either just missed, or just hit, another group that starts at Logrono. If missing peaks is your goal, the only one to consider seriously is Sarria, where you do not want to stop on a weekend. Speed up or slow down as you go, or even better, delay yourself a day or two with the very worthwhile side trip to Samos....

Buen Camino

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés - September 2019 / Camino de Madrid - September 2020
If you take your overnight stay in Orisson on the first day, starting in the afternoon is an option. I left Saint Jean Pied de Port at 1:30 pm and I was alone in the world.

Thomas1962

Camino(s) past & future
2010: Porto - SdC - Finisterra 2011: E4 on Crete 2012: Le Puy - SJPdP 2013: Camino Madrid -> Del Salvador -> Primitivo 2014: European Peace Walk. 2015: Amsterdam - SdC & Barcelona -Burgos. 2016:Norte & hospitalero
In general: people tend to work their week till the end, and travel to- and start their camino during the weekends. So in general, in weekends the numbers are higher from any bigger starting point on the camino.
So tuesday till thursday are about the lowest days, also in SJPdP

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 318 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 363 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock