• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does the Pilgrim office in St Jean still have transport to the Cross?

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgos (2019), SJPdP (2020?).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm guessing you must be asking about 2021 and you just used present tense, is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did mess that up didn't I? I meant when the Frances reopens.
Sorry Arthur.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

No, I guessed you meant the next season :) Certainly it will come back in the spring! You can start packing!

Express Bourricot, the company providing this transport, takes a break until March: https://www.expressbourricot.com/
I'm probably going to smack myself in the head 🤦‍♀️ for asking this...but...
what do you mean by 'transport to the Cross'?
I walked the CF in 2012 from SJPdP so I've either forgotten what Cross you mean or didn't know about it in the first place!...but I didn't use transport at all.
Can someone enlighten me please? 🤔
Thanks.
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the CF in 2012 from SJPdP so I've either forgotten what Cross you mean or didn't know about it in the first place!...but I didn't use transport at all.
Thanks.
👣 🌏
I too would like info on this as Cross to me means Cruz de Ferro and I never knew there was a bus to it!

Samarkand.

I too would like info on this as Cross to me means Cruz de Ferro and I never knew there was a bus to it!

Samarkand.
That was the only Cross I could think of too @malingerer ...but I couldn't work out if that was the OP's intended destination, & to get there by transport, why go to SJPdP in the first place? 🤷‍♀️
Hopefully @Lance Chambers or @arthur1218 will return to this post & shed some light.💡
👣 🌏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I assume the cross is Thibault Cross which is where the Route Napoleon leaves the road and continues up on a walking path.

That's the first thought that came to my mind too! When the Napoleon Route is open, Bourricot offers this shuttle "up the mountain" from SJPP, you can read about it in the section The Mountain Shuttle here:

https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/
Ahh...that explains it.
The day I set off from SJPdP, a blizzard was forecast in the mountains so I took the Valcarlos route...hence I don't know the 'landmarks' of the Route Napoleón.
Thanks for the name & location...which I've now googled. 😊
👣 🌏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In case anyone missed it in the fog

This is amazing and food for thought for us elderly trying to go over the Pyrenees "one last time and not in a box please thank you God"! I like the idea of the half way stops etc. :) Now if I can only raise the pennies and this bloody virus takes a hike someplace else there is life over the horizon after all! :)
Samarkand.

Express Bourricot, the company providing this transport, takes a break until March: https://www.expressbourricot.com/
Right. The Pilgrims Office has never provided any kind of transportation. Express Bourricot's office is next door, and they provide transportation via their "Mountain Shuttle," along with pack transport service.
Screenshot_20190302-123508_Firefox.jpg

Thanks.
👣 🌏
Quite close to the Spanish border there is a metal cross where you leave the road. It's close to Roland's Fountain.

I've started in St Jean 5 times already and completed the Frances. I was wondering if that service would still be available. I lazy and don't want to walk from St Jean and all the way up to the top again.

Getting old as well and the knees aren't as robust as they used to be.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is amazing and food for thought for us elderly trying to go over the Pyrenees "one last time and not in a box please thank you God"! I like the idea of the half way stops etc. :) Now if I can only raise the pennies and this bloody virus takes a hike someplace else there is life over the horizon after all! :)
Samarkand.
Love the photo.

Quite close to the Spanish border there is a metal cross where you leave the road. It's close to Roland's Fountain.

I've started in St Jean 5 times already and completed the Frances. I was wondering if that service would still be available. I lazy and don't want to walk from St Jean and all the way up to the top again.

Getting old as well and the knees aren't as robust as they used to be.
Thank you for clearing up the mystery of the cross Lance.
I certainly understand knee issues but I doubt very much that you're lazy having completed the Camino 5 times & contemplating a 6th!
Happy trails...when we can all walk again.
👣 🌏

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked the Napoleon route (as well as ValCarlos) several times.

I am wondering why one would transport from SJPP and not just start in Roncesvalles?
I just love the easy walk from the cross to Roncesvalles and do not much like the walk up the big big hill. My knees are also starting to suffer a bit - it happens when you're in your 70's.

I just love the easy walk from the cross to Roncesvalles and do not much like the walk up the big big hill. My knees are also starting to suffer a bit - it happens when you're in your 70's.

These 70 yrs old love the Valcarlos way , taking 2 days.

Yes, from la Croix du Thibault, it is about 10 km to Roncesvalles. If the shuttle is missed, it is possible to hire a taxi from SJPdP to the Croix. Cost will be close to the cost of an evening staying at Orisson.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would suggest a ride just to the place of Orisson (or Biakorri) virgin, and start to walk from there to Croix de Thibault. It is only an additional 3.6 km, a not very steep climb, and you can enjoy a magnificent mountain view.
To be clear, the Virgin is well after the Orisson albergue.
Buen camino!
'
(Edited: don' t trust the "44 minutes" estimation of Google Maps. More than an hour, maybe an hour and a half, could be more realistic for us, the wobbly knees club members).
1604852863922.png

Last edited:
I would suggest a ride just to the place of Orisson (or Biakorri) virgin, and start to walk from there to Croix de Thibault. It is only an additional 3.6 km, a not very steep climb, and you can enjoy a magnificent mountain view.
To be clear, the Virgin is well after the Orisson albergue.
Buen camino!
'
(Edited: don' t trust the "44 minutes" estimation of Google Maps. More than an hour, maybe an hour and a half, could be more realistic for us, the wobbly knees club members).
View attachment 87132
"Wobbly knees club members". A wonderful description of my current state of affairs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back