• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does the TSA allow trekking poles as "carry on" baggage?

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
Well the government is clearly here to help us so I went to the TSA website to try to get an answer to the question. I figured the TSA should be the final arbitor of this, right?

Here is what I found:

On the page of PROHIBITED items . . . http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items
Item Carry-on? Checked?
Baseball Bats NO OK
Bows and Arrows NO OK
Cricket Bats NO OK
Golf Clubs NO OK
Hockey Sticks NO OK
Lacrosse Sticks NO OK
Pool Cues NO OK
Skates (including ice skates and rollerblades) OK OK
Ski Poles NO OK
Spear Guns NO OK
For more information, please read our Traveling with Special Items section.​
Then on another page with a graphic I found . . . http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/03/tsa-prohibited-items-list-changing_5.html ~~~but a disclaimer on the same page says the implementation th rules allowing the items pictured has been delayed~~~
View media item 2273

The most current PDF download of the TSA Prohibited Items brochure currently shows, on page 2, that Ski Poles are approved for CHECKED baggage but NOT for CARRY ON into the cabin.

LINK => http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/prohibiteditems_brochure.pdf

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Part of the problem is that whatever TSA tells you, you are at the mercy of the TSA agents at the airport. Safest is to check them rather than risk problem at the airport. I carried my pack on the plan and got a mailing tube of the type used for pictures. I put my poles and a pocketknife into that and checked it. I decided I was willing to run the risk of the airline losing my poles, but not my entire pack. Worked fine. When i arrived in Paris, the tube was at the area where oversized baggage gets placed.

I know that there are tons of threads asking this question, and it's important to keep in mind that these questions are very country-specific. My experiences are limited to getting the poles through TSA and getting the poles through Spanish security.

Getting the poles through TSA -- I have carried hiking poles through TSA on probably more than two dozen occasions. You are right Melensdad, that the regulations do not tell you whether hiking poles are allowed. All we know is that ski poles are not allowed and walking aids are allowed. People are also correct to point out that TSA agents do have a fair amount of discretion. But all I can say is that I have never had a problem, I always carry my poles onboard with me. For years I did what sjstabile did, which is to put my poles in a cardboard tube and check them. But then one year they didn't show up in Madrid, and I had to make a dash to a sports store before my AVE train left from Atocha. It wasn't fun. So I decided to try to carry them on and have been happy to find that no one objects. I bring a duffel bag so they can always be checked at the last minute if need be. Once I arrive in Spain, I then send that duffel bag up to my Santiago destination so it's there when I finish my camino.

Getting the poles through Spanish security -- I frequently transfer in Madrid to an intra-Spain flight at Barajas. (Last year was to Bilbao, year before to Valencia, etc.) When you arrive on an international flight and transfer to a domestic flight in T4, you have to go through security again. So I can also tell you that I have had no problem carrying my poles through security in Madrid. (I cannot tell you, though, if you make a transfer in London or some other European capital, what your odds are, I only fly directly into Spain from the US).

HOWEVER, I know that the Santiago airport security does not allow carry-on hiking poles, no how no way. That's why having my duffel waiting for me in Santiago makes the return trip much easier, since I just pack them up and check them, along with whatever goodies I've bought in Santiago to fill the bag.

I know it's possible you'll get hit with a cantankerous TSA agent who will decide to make you check them. But I've done this on so many hiking trips within the US as well as on my camino trips, that I feel fairly confident in saying that you are likely to have no problem. Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Part of the problem is that whatever TSA tells you, you are at the mercy of the TSA agents at the airport. Safest is to check them rather than risk problem at the airport. I carried my pack on the plan and got a mailing tube of the type used for pictures. I put my poles and a pocketknife into that and checked it. I decided I was willing to run the risk of the airline losing my poles, but not my entire pack. Worked fine. When i arrived in Paris, the tube was at the area where oversized baggage gets placed.
I had the kind of poles (Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z0Pole Trekking Poles) that get small enough to go into my pack in their own bag and had rubber tips on the poles. I was able to take them in my carry-on pack both to and from Spain from the United States.

I had the kind of poles (Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z0Pole Trekking Poles) that get small enough to go into my pack in their own bag and had rubber tips on the poles. I was able to take them in my carry-on pack both to and from Spain from the United States.
Me too. They just collapse and go in your pack, which you can carry on. On the way back from Spain I just checked the whole pack, as it would no longer be a disaster if it were lost. I just put the whole pack with the collapsed poles through the xray. But just skip the knife and buy one in Spain.

I know that there are tons of threads asking this question, and it's important to keep in mind that these questions are very country-specific. My experiences are limited to getting the poles through TSA and getting the poles through Spanish security.

Getting the poles through TSA -- I have carried hiking poles through TSA on probably more than two dozen occasions. You are right Melensdad, that the regulations do not tell you whether hiking poles are allowed. All we know is that ski poles are not allowed and walking aids are allowed. People are also correct to point out that TSA agents do have a fair amount of discretion. But all I can say is that I have never had a problem, I always carry my poles onboard with me. For years I did what sjstabile did, which is to put my poles in a cardboard tube and check them. But then one year they didn't show up in Madrid, and I had to make a dash to a sports store before my AVE train left from Atocha. It wasn't fun. So I decided to try to carry them on and have been happy to find that no one objects. I bring a duffel bag so they can always be checked at the last minute if need be. Once I arrive in Spain, I then send that duffel bag up to my Santiago destination so it's there when I finish my camino.

Getting the poles through Spanish security -- I frequently transfer in Madrid to an intra-Spain flight at Barajas. (Last year was to Bilbao, year before to Valencia, etc.) When you arrive on an international flight and transfer to a domestic flight in T4, you have to go through security again. So I can also tell you that I have had no problem carrying my poles through security in Madrid. (I cannot tell you, though, if you make a transfer in London or some other European capital, what your odds are, I only fly directly into Spain from the US).

HOWEVER, I know that the Santiago airport security does not allow carry-on hiking poles, no how no way. That's why having my duffel waiting for me in Santiago makes the return trip much easier, since I just pack them up and check them, along with whatever goodies I've bought in Santiago to fill the bag.

I know it's possible you'll get hit with a cantankerous TSA agent who will decide to make you check them. But I've done this on so many hiking trips within the US as well as on my camino trips, that I feel fairly confident in saying that you are likely to have no problem. Buen camino, Laurie

Peregrina,

Thanks for this. I hope to be able to carry on my pack thinking I can gate check in Lexington KY then as a carry-on from ATL to Madrid. If I land at 10 am in Madrid, what time might I expect to arrive SJPP? Will figure out bus or train from Madrid airport to Pamplona then taxi to SJPP with fellow Pilgrims or , on my own if need be. By 6 pm?
Thanks in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm going to try it but I'm not going to depend on it. My walking partner's son was a TSA agent who said that it is entirely up to the agent, i.e., don't rely on anything.

Me too. They just collapse and go in your pack, which you can carry on. On the way back from Spain I just checked the whole pack, as it would no longer be a disaster if it were lost. I just put the whole pack with the collapsed poles through the xray. But just skip the knife and buy one in Spain.
Us too. From USA to France and back from Spain, no checked baggage and poles (Black Diamond Ultra Distance Z0Pole Trekking Poles) folded in carry-on. Also, some places don't allow poles into the rooms, so we always folded and stashed before we checked in. Never a problem. It's true, though, that the TSA agent is the law when you are standing there!

No problem either with the z-pole (Canada + France + Argentina). I was told that the critical issue is the tip. If pointed, it has to be checked. My tent stakes, a mere 16cm long, had to be checked....

I have taken my poles on some flights and not allowed on others.
I've had my checked poles opened when they were secured in a shipping tube.
Coming back from Spain last year, the security took Joe's good poles away - literally.
No time to check them before the flight.
Just seems to depend on whether or not the person's in a good mood, frankly.

I no longer take poles.
I buy either a wooden one or a cheap set there and leave it when I return.
That way I don't have to worry about TSA or another pilgrim taking them.

And that is the main problem.

Qustions go unanswered.
Yes, that has been my frustration. I have written theTSA message center several times, specifically asking if I can bring light weight collapsible hiking poles in my carry on, and have gotten their standard answer that you show above. I did speak to a TSA agent at our airport (Sacramento) and he said, tell the agent these are "mobility aids", wink, wink. So I am weighing whether I will take the chance and get them through TSA check points or if I mail them ahead to the hotel we will stay in when we arrive in Spain to walk the Camino in September. Am leaning to mailing ahead. Bobbie

I have taken my poles on some flights and not allowed on others.
I've had my checked poles opened when they were secured in a shipping tube.
Coming back from Spain last year, the security took Joe's good poles away - literally.
No time to check them before the flight.
Just seems to depend on whether or not the person's in a good mood, frankly.

I no longer take poles.
I buy either a wooden one or a cheap set there and leave it when I return.
That way I don't have to worry about TSA or another pilgrim taking them.
Annie, have you been prevented from carrying on your poles at a US airport? If so, you will be the first person I know to have had that experience. I have carried poles through TSA at airports all over the country more than two dozen times and have never had a problem.

I know things are different in santiago but I've also carried my poles on in Madrid at least five times and again never a problem.

Annie, have you been prevented from carrying on your poles at a US airport? If so, you will be the first person I know to have had that experience. I have carried poles through TSA at airports all over the country more than two dozen times and have never had a problem.

I know things are different in santiago but I've also carried my poles on in Madrid at least five times and again never a problem.

Last time I flew US Air, I called and asked about carrying on poles and was told absolutely not.
Maybe the key is not to ask??? :D

In Madrid, they took Joe's good poles away when he tried to carry them on!
There was a container of poles sitting there - some really nice!
It really pissed Joe off! lol! So much he tried to break them, but failed.
There was no time to check them so they were left.

Like Laurie, I have carried then on many times. Never questioned
Don't know of anyone who has been denied in the U.S.
Santiago airport is a firm no carry-on...but the only one I know of.

People have posted about denials....but always something they have "heard" from someone else.

My experience as well as Laurie's and many others is that it is not a problem if you put on rubber tips.
I suppose if you walk up and ask you could be "asking for trouble..."

Take them on board or check them if worried..your choice.:cool:

It does seem like some posts this question several times a month and the same people answer it the same way.
No one posts that they personally have been denied.

Last edited:
Last time I flew US Air, I called and asked about carrying on poles and was told absolutely not.
Maybe the key is not to ask??? :D

In Madrid, they took Joe's good poles away when he tried to carry them on!
There was a container of poles sitting there - some really nice!
It really pissed Joe off! lol! So much he tried to break them, but failed.
There was no time to check them so they were left.

I don't fly US Air so I don't know anything about their policy, but I was only talking about TSA. I've never had an airline look through my stuff once I got through TSA, but I know airlines are free to have their own policies. Anyway, since US Air is now part of American, and American is what I always fly, maybe things will change for you, Annie. I am surprised to hear that about Madrid, because I've gone through their security several times with poles and never had a problem. Maybe it's one of the advantages of looking like a feeble harmless old woman. :) Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Part of the problem is the confusion over who actually would deny you from taking the poles on board.

The poles are inside your pack ( usually) and TSA are the only folks who will have an opportunity to see them in X-ray machine.
The airlines will not be involved...it makes no difference which one you are flying.

Has anyone had an airline look in their luggage after going through TSA?

Even poles that are strapped to the outside are being reported as making it through...but I would think that it could be sketchy. I would at least put my pack cover on in that case.

Still have not seen a report from someone who has been denied.

Well the government is clearly here to help us so I went to the TSA website to try to get an answer to the question. I figured the TSA should be the final arbitor of this, right?

Here is what I found:

On the page of PROHIBITED items . . . http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items
Item Carry-on? Checked?
Baseball Bats NO OK
Bows and Arrows NO OK
Cricket Bats NO OK
Golf Clubs NO OK
Hockey Sticks NO OK
Lacrosse Sticks NO OK
Pool Cues NO OK
Skates (including ice skates and rollerblades) OK OK
Ski Poles NO OK
Spear Guns NO OK
For more information, please read our Traveling with Special Items section.​
Then on another page with a graphic I found . . . http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/03/tsa-prohibited-items-list-changing_5.html ~~~but a disclaimer on the same page says the implementation th rules allowing the items pictured has been delayed~~~
View media item 2273

The most current PDF download of the TSA Prohibited Items brochure currently shows, on page 2, that Ski Poles are approved for CHECKED baggage but NOT for CARRY ON into the cabin.

LINK => http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/assets/prohibiteditems_brochure.pdf

Still have not seen a report from someone who has been denied.
I was denied.

But the airline gate agent wrapped the poles and put them through checked luggage.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good to know. I think that you must be talking about the airline personnel, though, and not TSA. Is that right? Not that it matters to the person who is denied, of course. I just got back from a short trip with hiking poles carried through TSA and onto American Airlines. Which airlines do you use, Melensdad?

Which airlines do you use, Melensdad?
That event happened to be Iberia Airlines. But I'm a frequent flyer with American, British Airways and United and I've had to check poles in luggage with B/A and United. Can't recall if I've flown with poles on American in the past few years.

That event happened to be Iberia Airlines. But I'm a frequent flyer with American, British Airways and United and I've had to check poles in luggage with B/A and United. Can't recall if I've flown with poles on American in the past few years.

That is an incredible string of bad luck. We have never had an airline employee look into our pack after we have passed security from TSA.
I did not know they ever demanded to do an inspection at the gate.

I also have flown BA, UA and Iberia pretty frequently.

What was the trigger to have these airlines reinspect your pack?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What was the trigger to have these airlines reinspect your pack?

Dark curly hair, a beard, and traveling without checked luggage. Sometimes traveling alone. Sometimes traveling without a return ticket.

Last edited:
But...REMEMBER that Santiago is a no pole airport. You will not be able to carry them on..period.
It is always possible one will slip through..but the security people there look for them.

This is not necessarily true at any other airport.

Just do not attempt to carry your poles on board if flying out of Santiago.
I always check everything on the way home anyway. Not a big deal if it does not arrive with me in that direction.

Sigh...hoping to end the schism:)
The TSA states hiking poles are not permitted in the cabin, only as checked baggage. If this link doesn't show the hiking pole answer but is instead the "can I bring" page, just type in hiking poles. https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?src=tsawebsite

Some people have been lucky and gotten theirs on in carry-on. Some screeners are lazy. Some distracted. Some had a bad day. BUT you don't want to risk getting one that does their job or you may lose your poles. Edit: snarky (but funny) sentence removed.

Yes, this applies to collapsible poles, they do screw or snap together don't theyo_O If it is a stick large enough to hit someone with, or can be assembled into such a stick, especially with a sharp tip...if we or someone else here described fending off dogs, bicigrinos, or anyone/thing else with them, probably could be considered a weapon. I'm pretty sure I could inflict injury and disrupt flight operations with mine. NOT THAT I WOULD (for any government entity reading this:eek:)

Edit. Second snarky but funny sentence removed and replaced with what I hope is mildly amusing.

EDIT: times change of course. If reading this next year or next week, best to check the website again.

Last edited:

€60,-
Dark curly hair, a beard, and traveling without checked luggage. Sometimes traveling alone. Sometimes traveling without a return ticket.
I've been selected as well. Perhaps as a single female with full price recent ticket...but I think it's random. All part of the charade to make the sheep feel safe.

I've been selected as well. Perhaps as a single female with full price recent ticket...but I think it's random. All part of the charade to make the sheep feel safe.
Perhaps but I was pulled out of every line for additional security on every flight for years after 9/11 until I shaved my beard off.

And when I say every line I mean every time I flew on a commercial flight. I'd get pulled out at the gate just as the flight was boarding, I'd get pulled out at the ticket counter and I'd get special attention at the security checkpoints. For every flight.

They got tired of old ladies complaining :)
Sorry you get special attention. And I wasn't making light of your situation. I traveled a lot for work including the first flight out of DC after 9/11, and was/am often selected --perhaps bc single females were suspected of being targeted by male terrorists to use as (perhaps unwitting) accomplices. Or I didn't look like someone who would give them a hard time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can just imagine the gate agent thinking...ok time for my random search. If I take that grey haired lady with the walker or the mom with the baby, 39 passengers will videotape and post it on you tube. That lady over there looks like a lawyer...oh, that young curly haired guy....no one will complain :)

Let's not forget that TSA is a US organisation. Its rule do not have to apply to the rest of the world.

Imfind that each airport may have different rules: Montreal allows poles on board, but no to any and all blades. Calgary allows blades that are under 5 cm in lenght.

Pop in at your local airport and ask them what they accept or not.

Sorry you get special attention.
Actually it didn't bother me. Clearly I was being profiled and I was totally fine with that. While I happen to be Catholic and have no (known) middle eastern blood/traits in my body I've been confused by Jewish friends as being a Jew and by many as an Arab on more occasions than I could count. I apparently just have (or had as I've since turned grey) 'the look' and clearly some of my business flights were same day round trip hops without luggage so I fit some of the profiles.

Seems like profiling works, many nations use it and it seems to be effective. If the TSA stopping me more frequently gives others a piece of mind then so be it.

Let's not forget that TSA is a US organisation. Its rule do not have to apply to the rest of the world...
Yes and no.

If the airplane is scheduled to fly into US airspace I've been told by an international pilot for a major air carrier that the departing airport is supposed to use TSA rules.

Further, many nations have apparently adopted the TSA rules as their default rules (citing the same pilot as my source).

So some nations/airports may allow some things different than the TSA but many will follow the TSA as their default standard.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well no wonder you pull up in that funny lookin snow rig, & a beard like you have been hunting polar bears, they just want to make sure you left the hand cannon at home.

As I said, pop in to your local airport and ask them. Montreal does not care about US airspace when it comes to walking poles.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.