• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Does think mean the Camino diet reduces heart disease?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In my experience the Camino diet consists of frequent helping of fried potatoes and to offset this I increased the wine consumption.

I am sure that the Camino 'Menu del Dia' would NOT be good for anyone's diet if eaten for a long time and it would also be very boring (except for the vino of course). BUT, the physical act of walking is just about the best heart exercise there is. The heart is a muscle, and the slow and steady exercise over several hours per day and for many days increases the rate at which your heart beats and thus it's strength. I had open heart surgery 5 years ago and by coincidence have just arrived home after seeing my cardiologist for the regular check and he knows about my Caminos and is talking about walking it himself. If nothing untoward happens, by the end of June this year I will have walked 3000 miles on various Caminos, which makes my cardiologist very happy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am sure that the Camino 'Menu del Dia' would NOT be good for anyone's diet if eaten for a long time and it would also be very boring (except for the vino of course). BUT, the physical act of walking is just about the best heart exercise there is. The heart is a muscle, and the slow and steady exercise over several hours per day and for many days increases the rate at which your heart beats and thus it's strength. I had open heart surgery 5 years ago and by coincidence have just arrived home after seeing my cardiologist for the regular check and he knows about my Caminos and is talking about walking it himself. If nothing untoward happens, by the end of June this year I will have walked 3000 miles on various Caminos, which makes my cardiologist very happy.
good to hear had heart attack in spain August 2019.. surgury in Santiago de Compostela.. cant wait to get back and thanks them also .. walking will make me stronger

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.