• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs and treats

CalgaryLynn

Time of past OR future Camino
I am a dog owner and a dog lover so I have no fear but reading some of these posts makes me wonder. Wild dogs can be dangerous and I am sure carrying a pole will be a deterrent. Has anyone carried dog treats with them to throw at the wild dogs? Distract them with some yummies.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am a dog owner and a dog lover so I have no fear but reading some of these posts makes me wonder. Wild dogs can be dangerous and I am sure carrying a pole will be a deterrent. Has anyone carried dog treats with them to throw at the wild dogs? Distract them with some yummies.
I've never encountered "wild dogs." I think that most dogs that you see on the Camino have a home, and most aren't running loose - they are either behind a fence or tied up.

The kind of dogs most likely to be perceived as an issue are livestock-guarding working dogs. The frequency and severity of such issues is generally overstated, but it does happen.

These dogs are best regarded as only semi-domesticated working animals who are used to a different relationship with their humans than a ‘pet’ dog is. (That’s you I’m talking about, Henry..)

Making a ‘picking up a stone’ motion or producing a stick is more likely to avoid confrontation than producing unfamiliar food; all ‘in my opinion’, of course.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Never had an issue with "wild dogs" personally as well. But I have met some "rather large" livestock working dogs in the countryside. Also I have met a load of "regular sized" working dogs and these ones always make me smile, like when some Aussie or equivalent gets a cow like 10 X its weight (at least) to come back to the road after jumping over a 300 year old rock wall for those "greener pastures" on the other side of the fence.

I would not give any dog I met on the way any food. I mean, I didn't want people giving my dog food when we meet on a walk. I don't have a dog anymore... he was a beautifully kind black lab who now might be walking along those greener pastures himself.

Check out this video of my view of a typical "wild dog encounter" in Spain, IMO.

View attachment me_dog_cows.mov

I am a dog lover too and I used to have dogs 😢 but I am really scared of ‘wild’ dogs... (I was attacked by a German shepherd when I was 7 years old and I never forgot😳).
There aren’t any wild dogs on the Camino francés! Really. You may come across some working dogs, they will ignore you. They’re too busy looking after their flock.
I walked in Eastern countries where wild dogs are indeed a threat so I carried a dog gizmo, alarm, not sure what to call it.
I really would like to put your mind at rest, nothing like that on the Camino francés.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am a dog lover too and I used to have dogs 😢 but I am really scared of ‘wild’ dogs... (I was attacked by a German sheapherd when I was 7 years old and I never forgot😳).
There aren’t any wild dogs on the Camino francés! Really. You may come across some working dogs, they will ignore you. They’re too busy looking after their flock.
I walked in Eastern countries where wild dogs are indeed a threat so I carried a dog gizmo, alarm, not sure what to call it.
I really would like to put your mind at rest, nothing like that on the Camino francés.
Unless someone knows otherwise???
Thanks for the reassurance. My dog is a rescue from Mexico and Mexico tends to have many, many, many street dogs but they aren't dangerous, just lonely, hungry and need a friend.

In Galicia say "go" firmly and loudly because it sounds similar to "ho" that is the way to say stop to animals and is easy to remember.
Thank you.

However, our dog Beau had no problem telling the difference between Beau, no, and go. "Go to the car" was no problem. He also knew the word Tiger, his favorite friend, the neighbors' cat. On the other hand he had no idea where to go when I said "Go to Peggy." The dog had his priorities.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Never came across any wild dogs.
Many are 'working' dogs and will bark at strangers who come too close to their property or farm animals.

Met lots of friendly dogs, who enjoyed a treat, and cats, cows, horses, a few friendly people too.

My wife Pat carries little stashes of dog treats, cat treats.......

Thank you.

However, our dog Beau had no problem telling the difference between Beau, no, and go. "Go to the car" was no problem. He also knew the word Tiger, his favorite friend, the neighbors' cat. On the other hand he had no idea who to go to when I said "Go to Peggy."
Working dogs understand simple phrases like "go out", "come here", "go to turn Marela (cow name)", etc. But we had an extraordinary clever dog called Manchego that undertood a complex phrase like "Manchego stay here and don´t move. Don´t let the cows leave the field. If you do it right I'll give you a big piece of bacon when we are at home".

Thanks for the reassurance. My dog is a rescue from Mexico and Mexico tends to have many, many, many street dogs but they aren't dangerous, just lonely, hungry and need a friend.
Well said. As a matter of fact today I’m accompanying 5 former street dogs that have been rescued, loved up, cleaned up, vetted up, “fixed” up, and “fed” up from a volunteer organization outside Guadalajara as they fly north to their new forever homes in Portland. bonevoyagedogrescue.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Occasionally,in small towns, or more remote areas along the CF, we have seen unleased dogs...mostly lying on the ground, totally uninterested in us. Most looked well fed!

When we plan to leave our accommodations early, in the dark, when most Spaniards are, certainly, still sleeping, I make special efforts to befriend the house pets, especially, if I stay at a place that has a dog that is unleashed,

I do keep a couple of treats in my pocket in a baggie, but have never had to use one yet.

Last edited:
Loose dogs could be a problem in Galicia, Asturias and I think in Portugal in some small hamlets outside the different Caminos. Those guard dogs have an alert scale from less to more:

! . Family
2. Neighbors
3. Other people form the rural.
4. Others.

I've never encountered "wild dogs." I think that most dogs that you see on the Camino have a home, and most aren't running loose - they are either behind a fence or tied up.
I have seen lots of what looks like "wild dogs" to me, but thankfully they are always behind a fence or tied up. They most likely have been trained to protect property, whether a private owner or commercial establishment such as these...😁
Screenshot_20210525-083954~2.pngScreenshot_20210525-083857~2.png
P.S....The dogs' tails were not wagging.😬

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have no bad feelings towards dogs but I became really scared since I was seriously bitten by a german shepherd dog in Spain. The local doctor gave me the advice to return home as quicly as possible for care in a hospital. Since then walking alone in isolated countryside is rather demanding for my nerves

I was bitten by a Rottweiler (not on Camino) while it was walking unleashed with its owner. The dog looked menacing and as I looked in fear, the lady said "Don't worry, he doesn't bite". I was attacked and bitten in the upper arm. Although stitches were not required, I needed a tetanus shot. I've been wary of large dogs being walked with their owners if unleashed ever since and shy away.

I live in a small town in Mexico and what you say is true. What is also true is between the cobblestone and holes in the streets and sidewalks and what the dogs leave behind makes it imperative that you spend alot of time looking down when you walk. There are dog droppings everywhere.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm VERY afraid of dogs, having been attacked as a young woman by a pit bull.
However, I've walked every year for many many years, and have never encountered "wild" or even "dangerous" dogs. Once or twice an ankle-biter has lunged and barked, but Rebekah of Moratinos once gave me advice to bend over and pick up a rock and the dog would flee, and that worked great. I have never had to actually throw a rock - they know what it means.

I personally wouldn't be too worried about dogs along the Camino.

I would not give someone else's dog a treat. The dog could have allergies you aren't aware of, or on a particular diet. I just wouldn't do it.

Most dogs, I encountered, are leashed or do not stray beyond their property. They bark at anyone they do not know. I would not recommend you feed them as they may start to follow you.

I was followed by an English Mastiff on the San Salvador for about 10km until I arrived at Cabanillas. He sat outside the Albergue door until the locals had him removed.

That said, I have never felt in danger from any dog on the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Well said. As a matter of fact today I’m accompanying 5 former street dogs that have been rescued, loved up, cleaned up, vetted up, “fixed” up, and “fed” up from a volunteer organization outside Guadalajara as they fly north to their new forever homes in Portland. bonevoyagedogrescue.com
I would love to do that myself. My dog was so confused and cautious when I first got her. Seven years later she is as sweet and loving as can be. A blessing to my life. She was sent to Canada from an agency such as yours from San Miguel de Allende.

I have no bad feelings towards dogs but I became really scared since I was seriously bitten by a german shepherd dog in Spain. The local doctor gave me the advice to return home as quicly as possible for care in a hospital. Since then walking alone in isolated countryside is rather demanding for my nerves
Sorry to hear that, the majority of dogs are kindly but there can be dogs that have been abused or treated poorly and they just don't trust "man". I understand your nervousness.

I was bitten by a Rottweiler (not on Camino) while it was walking unleashed with its owner. The dog looked menacing and as I looked in fear, the lady said "Don't worry, he doesn't bite". I was attacked and bitten in the upper arm. Although stitches were not required, I needed a tetanus shot. I've been wary of large dogs being walked with their owners if unleashed ever since and shy away.
Yikes, some owners are so irresponsible. My dog is more comfortable being walked on a leash than not. In my city, legally the only place to unleash a dog is in a off -leash dog park.

Most dogs, I encountered, are leashed or do not stray beyond their property. They bark at anyone they do not know. I would not recommend you feed them as they may start to follow you.

I was followed by an English Mastiff on the San Salvador for about 10km until I arrived at Cabanillas. He sat outside the Albergue door until the locals had him removed.

That said, I have never felt in danger from any dog on the Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe
That's true, they might follow me!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The whole”wild dogs on the Camino” is a legend. On some of the less travelled routes you might occasionally come across a loose dog, but not on the Camino Francés. The story arose from the days when Foncebadon was an abandoned village. By the time I first walked the Camino, in 2001, it was no longer abandoned (a new hotel had been built) and no signs of stray dogs anywhere. All were behind fences or tied up, apart from the occasional very well behaved pet lying across someone’s doorway. In fact dogs on the Camino are so used to pilgrims they rarely notice us.
Immediately post Covid things may be a little different; as it’s been a while since strangers walked through the villages.

In September od 2016, I was approached by a large barking Alsation dog on the outskirts of I think, Fromista from memory.

Rather than doing anything, I just stopped, didn't make eye contact by looking way into the distance but still able to see him in the periphery. I waited until the dog sniffed my feet and trousers before it lost interest in me after a what seemed like a couple of minutes. I slowly walked away after then.

I figured that the Alsation was probably able to smell the scent of our late dear labrador on my clothes, hence its interest.

It was a bit of a scary moment I must admit.

We also had two menacing dogs threaten us on another camino in Portugal but picking up stones motion, sent them packing. We also had poles too but no need to wave them around on that occasion.

Humans frighten me a lot more than dogs.

Walking between Hospital de Orbigo and Villares de Orbigo, I noticed a huge dog ‘resting’ in the middle of the road. There was a field of sheep on the left. So, I figured he was working, and I quietly walked past keeping far to the right. All was quiet as I passed, but just a bit further on, there was quite a commotion with barking and snarling coming from behind me by what sounded like two dogs. I continued walking at the same steady pace, quaking in my boots. At some point, I must have crossed out of their territory, because they stopped barking, and backed off.
In hindsight, I wonder if, in my effort to be quiet, I ended up surprising the dog. It might have been better to shuffle a bit long before I got to him… just to let him know I was there…

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would love to do that myself. My dog was so confused and cautious when I first got her. Seven years later she is as sweet and loving as can be. A blessing to my life. She was sent to Canada from an agency such as yours from San Miguel de Allende.
Fantastic! There are a bunch of these organizations in Mexico. I’d suggest one for you if you wanted to come down and volunteer with them for a few days and then fly back home with 4-5 of them to Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, Vancouver, or Toronto.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.