• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs - how to avoid / repel them?

Jamilla's mum

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP - April 2015 - hopefully!
I'm still not sure if I'll be walking the Camino this year. Jamilla is still waiting for super-steering and I don't know if it will be done and tested before we need to set off.
HOWEVER ..... everywhere I've taken her so far, we attract dogs. I always thought dogs went by scent. Not so - every dog behaves differently towards her, but they all seem to think she's some kind of super-dog. And they totally get that she's female (must be her amazing eyelashes!) So far we've been very pointedly 'ignored' by a German shepherd, barked at furiously by a labrador-cross, run away from by a King Charles spaniel - and all-but-HUMPED by a large terrier. (That's just a small selection of reactions.)
Although I know how to react towards large, scary dogs, I'm worried that she may fall victim to one or more. So I wondered if anyone knew, for example, a scent I could spray her with which would be off-putting to them. Or any other useful suggestions - even areas to avoid by taking a different route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is no doubt a "walking with a pet/dog" thread on this Forum. I am a dog lover and a one time breeder of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I have watched pilgrims walking with pets and given the potential inhospitable environment, the long hours of walking on pavement and gravel and the lack of water resources; I do not find it to be kind way to treat your best friend, not to mention the worries about a territorial dog protecting his/her domain.

Have you considered that attracting dogs might be a good thing? To me, meeting the local dogs is one of the best parts of the trip

Looks like Jamilla would do beter with larger wheels!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do not find it to be kind way to treat your best friend, -
Ah, but Jamilla isn't a dog - she's a DONKEY (hand-made, on wheels, so she's not actually pounding the pavements.)

And yes, newfydog, she does now have bigger and stronger wheels. Because on our first long walk about a year ago a wheel actually broke (well, that's why we did a #'trial run'. I've replaced her wheels with wheelchair ones - of the get-pushed sort rather than the self-propelling ones. Sadly, everything you change on such an animal throws up a new problem and I'm waiting on a new part to ensure she steers properly.

Should have been done before Christmas, and we're close, but still no banana - or should I say carrot? And if it works round my streets I still have to go on at least one long-ish walk with her. We're booked to go 8 April, by bus because that copper piping inside her wouldn't get past airport security, arriving in Seville 11 April. But whether it will be again deferred I don't know. Ah well .... patience is a virtue - or so they say. :(

With regard to meeting other (?) dogs. It's not pets I'm worried about. It's the local 'guard dogs', who most likely won't show any restraint.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I now think your biggest problem is locals restraining their laughter:eek:!
THAT I can handle .... I'm even expecting to give small kids a few rides. (What I've had to grit my teeth about here in London is mothers saying to their kids "Look at the nice horsie!")

Mag, she's going to be carrying my baggage (in her body cavity) and also hopefully raising money for charity.
As you may have divined - I'm totally crackers. ;)

I'm setting off from Málaga on the Camino Mozárabe on 8 April, and will join the VdlP at Mérida. You will probably be ahead of me, but if I come up behind you at least I will know I am not hallucinating!
Buen camino!

Well, as I said above, I might not be setting off this year. Might have to wait until next year. But if we meet up, do introduce yourself. :)

I
With regard to meeting other (?) dogs. It's not pets I'm worried about. It's the local 'guard dogs', who most likely won't show any restraint.

Don't worry about the those dogs.....they are nice big friendly dogs. My wife can usually coax them out for a belly rub.

€60,-
Newfy - you don't understand. It's not their reaction to ME I'm so worried about.
I don't want them damaging JAMILLA and after our experiences so far in London I can't tell how any individual dog - especially guard dogs - will react towards her.

HOWEVER: - in the usual way, once one actually asks a question out loud, the answer appears. Even though not from this posting.
Elsewhere on the forum I read about a 'dog dazer'. So I shall buy one, and hope that dogs we meet are not deaf.
Thanks to everyone for listening.

'Anti-mate'. Do they still make it? but if Jamilla is carrying your bags your clothes might get to smell funny :(.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, Tia. However, I've just read up about anti-mate and it seems it masks the smell of dogs on heat.
The fact that Jamilla isn't - and never has been - on heat (hehe) doesn't seem to have bothered one or two dogs who've come very close to attempting to mate with her, before being called off by their owners.

You know, after all our doggie experiences I've had to reach the sad conclusion that dogs are really very stupid animals. That, or Jamilla is so stunningly beautiful they simply can't resist her. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE="Jamilla's mum, post: 284387, memb
Elsewhere on the forum I read about a 'dog dazer'. So I shall buy one, and hope that dogs we meet are not deaf.
Thanks to everyone for listening.[/QUOTE]
Frankly I think the welfare of sentient beings (the dogs) trumps that of an inanimate object.

Anenome - do you know what a 'dog dazer' IS?
It's an ultrasonic sound that dogs don't like. They turn away from it. Kinder than a taser. Or pepper spray, Or even fending it off with a stick.
(Although any dog that tries to ravish Jamilla is to my mind most certainly NOT a 'sentient being'. :p)

ADDED - have just read about something called 'Bite-Back' - which is a peppermint spray. Apparently it disorientates dogs for about 10-20 minutes, but (unlike pepper spray) causes no lasting damage.
I'll try it when I get to take her out again and, if I remember, will report back here.

Last edited:
Anenome - do you know what a 'dog dazer' IS?
It's an ultrasonic sound that dogs don't like. They turn away from it. Kinder than a taser. Or pepper spray, Or even fending it off with a stick.
(Although any dog that tries to ravish Jamilla is to my mind most certainly NOT a 'sentient being'. :p)

ADDED - have just read about something called 'Bite-Back' - which is a peppermint spray. Apparently it disorientates dogs for about 10-20 minutes, but (unlike pepper spray) causes no lasting damage.
I'll try it when I get to take her out again and, if I remember, will report back here.
So, because one dog annoys you, you are going to use this ultrasonic device that will annoy all the other dogs around? And disorienting a dog for 10-20 minutes is OK? So it can go get hit by a car, a passing cow, fall down a ravine? God have mercy on anyone I catch using any kind of spray, sounds or object to hit one of my dogs when they are not harming anyone.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That dog dazer might work if you act like you are going to throw it at the dog, but a rock or even a pretend rock will work better. Don't waste your money

Anenome - if your dogs attack me or mine, then you'd better ask God to have mercy on THEM, not me.

Newfy - have you tried a dog dazer? Most of the reviews I read are pretty good.

So, because one dog annoys you, you are going to use this ultrasonic device that will annoy all the other dogs around? And disorienting a dog for 10-20 minutes is OK? So it can go get hit by a car, a passing cow, fall down a ravine? God have mercy on anyone I catch using any kind of spray, sounds or object to hit one of my dogs when they are not harming anyone.
This thread is concluding in a very strange circular illogic. When I first thought you were going to subject "mankind's best friend" to a long cruel, inadvisable walk; I have now learned that you intend to subject the dogs of Spain to chemical sprays and cruel methods of aural disorientation. Shame on you!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the suggestion, Tia. However, I've just read up about anti-mate and it seems it masks the smell of dogs on heat.
Ah, I thought it worked more like mozzie repellent and that they just disliked the smell so kept away.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good grief! I asked how to prepare a defence, in case of attack.
Do you suppose I'm going to walk round Spain attacking dogs?

Or do you think, contrariwise, that I should just stand there and let us become some guard dog's dinner?
If so, perhaps you'd like to provide me instead with a 'grace before meals' that I can say on its behalf?

So that "Jamilla" thing is a donkey shaped object on wheels. Sort of a miniature version of a Trojan horse, minus soldiers inside, or the wooden rabbit in the old Monty Python movie (Holy Grail). Hmmm.....
From what I understand dogs rely heavily on their sense of smell. I wouldn't believe that just because that thing is shaped like a donkey that any dog would be interested in it based solely on that resemblance. I would have thought they would give it no more interest than say the same interest they would give a wooden or metal wagon you would drag behind you while walking. I've never seen a dog humping a stuffed animal before. When I used to duck hunt we never worried about live mallard drakes copulating with the hen decoys we had in the water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So that "Jamilla" thing is a donkey shaped object on wheels. Sort of a miniature version of a Trojan horse, minus soldiers inside, or the wooden rabbit in the old Monty Python movie (Holy Grail). Hmmm.....
From what I understand dogs rely heavily on their sense of smell. I wouldn't believe that just because that thing is shaped like a donkey that any dog would be interested in it based solely on that resemblance. I would have thought they would give it no more interest than say the same interest they would give a wooden or metal wagon you would drag behind you while walking. I've never seen a dog humping a stuffed animal before. When I used to duck hunt we never worried about live mallard drakes copulating with the hen decoys we had in the water.

I did a search.
https://www.justgiving.com/Jamilla-walking/

I would have thought they would give it no more interest than say the same interest they would give a wooden or metal wagon you would drag behind you while walking. I've never seen a dog humping a stuffed animal before.

Mark - that's what I thought. However, it appears dogs depend a whole lot more on their eyesight than we give them credit for.
Every dog we've passed has without exception, had it's own unique reaction to her.
You - like me - would have laughed yourself silly at the way a German shepherd crossed the road, passing us nose in air.
He couldn't have said more plainly "Who do you think you are, upstart? I am far, far superior to YOU!'
And I don't know how I'd have stopped humpy-dog. Fortunately his owner was there to call him off.

Sabine - you can also look on http://jamilla-walking.tumblr.com/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That pony needs a motor. Why not a living pack mule? Or a lama?

oh dear!! Don't want to hijack this thread but I'm reminded of a belgian comedian who writes absurd and surreal songs like Tony , the sick pony...

And the lama reminds me of Chico lama who was a character in tv show during my early childhood.....

ok back on track now..:p

Newfy - have you tried a dog dazer? Most of the reviews I read are pretty good.

Yeah we have had this discussion before. The guy who sells the things tried to promote them here. I saw one review were a dog was just fine and peaceful until they used the dazer and then he came after them. I've seen other reviews were they do absolutely nothing . I have never needed anything like that to get along with any dog. occasionally I find a genuinely dangerous mean dog, and just pretending I was going to throw a stone will stop them right where they are. I have done that once or twice in 5000 km's of Caminos. Throw your money away on it if you want, but it is a non-solution to an extremely rare problem.

Last edited:
I think I'd be more worried about getting "her" over the Pyrenees.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why not a living pack mule? Or a lama?
When I decided to walk my camino my first thought was to take a pack mule.
Then I realised I didn't know how to look after one properly. It would be cruel.
So then I thought I'd take a converted shopping trolley.
Next day I thought - why not combine the two and raise money for charity?
So that's how Jamilla was conceived....

Incidentally, in Sufi literature (Runi, for example) the donkey stands for one's wilful nature.
The self that has to be trained, brought into line. And you know, a donkey is also very loyal.
Perhaps you've also seen pictures of the 'fool' Nasruddin, riding backwards on a donkey.
So Jamilla is my alter ego. Hopefully, on this walk we'll train each other. :)

Oh, and I'm not going over the Pyrenees, Mike. That's the whole point of the VDLP.

Why not a living pack mule? Or a lama?
When I decided to walk my camino my first thought was to take a pack mule.
Then I realised I didn't know how to look after one properly. It would be cruel.
So then I thought I'd take a converted shopping trolley.
Next day I thought - why not combine the two and raise money for charity?
So that's how Jamilla was conceived....

Incidentally, in Sufi literature (Runi, for example) the donkey stands for one's wilful nature.
The self that has to be trained, brought into line. And you know, a donkey is also very loyal.
Perhaps you've also seen pictures of the 'fool' Nasruddin, riding backwards on a donkey.
So Jamilla is my alter ego. Hopefully, on this walk we'll train each other. :)

Oh, and I'm not going over the Pyrenees, Mike. That's the whole point of the VDLP.
One of the first jobs I ever had ($3.00 an hour) was working in a grocery store and one of my duties was bringing in the shopping carts from the parking lot and also the surrounding area as customers would take them quite far at times.
Those wheels look rather small. Have you thought of maybe retrofitting the beast with all-terrain type?

€83,-
Re. the robot: Ahead of you there, Mark. I saw the youtube demo at least a year ago - maybe more.
For sure it's clever - but it's a monstrous beast. My Jamilla is far, far prettier.

As far as the wheels go - I explained much further up (and also on her website) that I've changed the wheels. That's why she now needs better steering - which I hope is going to be fixed tomorrow. Otherwise it's back to the drawing board again.
I had no idea that building her would be so complicated,,,,

One reason dogs "hump" is to show dominance. Maybe they are feeling threatened by Jamilla's presence. (Or maybe just inadequate.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
When do I expect to go? Do you know - I have no idea. My walk was planned for April last year, but she broke a wheel on her 'training' walk so it was back to the drawing board.
New wheels came from a sabotaged wheelchair. They were - are - great, but they threw up a steering problem; and everything has to be just right before we go.
I'm currently waiting on an amazing local handiman who thinks he has the solution. But HE's been waiting on a mate to get out of hospital, to make him a special part. I believe it's now made and he should be coming to fit it today. Then we have to test it.
If it works, and lasts at least a day without going haywire, then we'll be able to set off for Seville on 8 April - by bus, as the copper piping in her legs plus the wires in her head would undoubtably throw them into a panic at the airport. We hope to arrive on 11 April (overnighting in Bacelona, so as not to spend two straight night on a bus) and then leaving Triana backpackers on 15 April.
If I miss this year's slot it will be next year - which was my original intention when I first decided on this pilgrimage.
It's all 'insh'allah' right now, though ....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a scream. If you weren't doing this for such a worthy cause, I would tell you to forget it -- the camino is not a backdrop for self-aggrandizing weird stunts. Treat the Way with dignity, and you don't have to worry about sex-crazed terriers or territorial mastiffs. Just walk it as a plain old pilgrim. No wooden donkey trolley required.

I hope, too, that I won't have to worry about 'sex-crazed terriers or territorial mastiffs' Rebekah.

As for walking the way 'with dignity' - well, everyone has their own way, and their own dignity to consider.
I hope, like St Francis, to walk my camino with JOY.

PS - she's not 'wooden', either. Please be respectful.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
'Shopping trolley' is misunderstood. The idea came from a personal shopping trolley of the two-wheeled variety.
But I made her myself. Starting from a 35 litre bag, I put the bag on a chair, then worked out the proportions.
So - under the bag is a rectangle made from some old chair arms.
Through that I drilled holes to take copper pipe, so that her legs would be strong, joined with angle bends so that each one forms a letter 'n'.
Into the front of the bag is inserted her neck and head, which are made from three aluminium mesh wastepaper bins, bottoms removed, wired together and shaped.
That's her framework. (It wasn't easy as I'm not a metalwork afficionado.)
The inner lining is waterproof and her legs are stuffed. She's covered with a faux suede as fake fur would hold to much water if it got wet.
Her mane is made from a duster and her ears are held up with galvanised fencing wire. Eyes are 'Pantene' shampoo bottle lids, + Evian lids;
eyelashes are made from some milliners stiffening, backed with clear 'fablon'.
Apart from her wheels and steering - and her saddle cover - that's about it.

Lest I make it sound easy - believe me it wasn't. Every step of the way was trial and error - with much error. I had many sleepless nights and put on piles of weight with the stress of it all. Looking forward to the end, now.

amiga, I am still trying to see what would be suitable to say. Your endeavour is certainly admirable, I have heard of some Poles who walked the whole Camino Frances pushing a bed from a German concentration camp all the way, this Jamilla story is most remarkable indeed.

I woudl not say the Via de la Plata is suitable for dragging such a contraption, it would not be practical because there are long distances between towns, narrow paths, mucky stretches...

This said, I never had a problem with dogs between Seville and Salamanca, but I find a long staff (like one foot taller than yourself) works miracles with nasty dogs.

Buen camino, whichever way you decide to go, by yourself or with Jamilla, please keep us posted on how things are going.
Buen camino!

Starting from a 35 litre bag, I put the bag on a chair, then worked out the proportions.
So - under the bag is a rectangle made from some old chair arms.
Through that I drilled holes to take copper pipe, so that her legs would be strong, joined with angle bends so that each one forms a letter 'n'.
Into the front of the bag is inserted her neck and head, which are made from three aluminium mesh wastepaper bins, bottoms removed, wired together and shaped.
That's her framework.
The inner lining is waterproof and her legs are stuffed. She's covered with a faux suede as fake fur would hold to much water if it got wet.
Her mane is made from a duster and her ears are held up with galvanised fencing wire.
Apart from her wheels and steering - and her saddle cover - that's about it.

Are you sure you can transport this by bus? It sounds like it might be a challenge to fit it into the hold unless the bus is quite empty. Have you thought of a Plan B if it is too bulky or more people need to fit in luggage along the way???

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I now think your biggest problem is locals restraining their laughter:eek:!
THAT I can handle .... I'm even expecting to give small kids a few rides. (What I've had to grit my teeth about here in London is mothers saying to their kids "Look at the nice horsie!")

Mag, she's going to be carrying my baggage (in her body cavity) and also hopefully raising money for charity.
As you may have divined - I'm totally crackers. ;)
I don't think they'll be laughing at you - I think they will be applauding you! That is wonderful!
And these folks might have some useful tips for you -

I agree with the wooden staff option and maybe using strong confident verbal commands, I have seen this work with dogs but it could be tricky to radiate confidence in some situations.

Have you thought about covering Jamilla in a non toxic deterrent substance, not sure what it could be but there may be some substances that won't harm you, Jamilla and the dogs and also maybe won't attract swarms of flies.

Obviously I think you are a little mad ( from my point of view) but since first reading this thread I have done some mental gymnastics and quite like the idea of Jamilla now. I hope you have a Joyful journey and like another poster said let us know how you are getting on.

Mike

Gratias, Amancio. I am thinking that in some places I will have to take the cyclists route, so have bought a reflective jacket for myself and reflective strips for Jamilla.
Do you think my pole needs to be that long? I was thinking a normal-sized one, lifting it higher if necessary.

Wawpdx – I hadn’t considered size when building her, but have so designed her that her head comes off and fits between her legs. This brings her down to a size that (with great good fortune) is about 5 cm under the maximum size for bus travel.
(She fits into a travel bag I made for her, so is well-protected. When assembled fully again, this bag is rolled up and fits into her hollow neck space - there’s been so much to think about …)

Chacharm – thank you for the video. I’ll watch it soon.

Mike – I’m going to try spraying her with peppermint oil and see it that works with the dogs around here. Thanks for the suggestion.
And – of course, I’m more than a little bit crazy. But it makes life much more fun. :D

Thanks, everyone, for your good wishes. I still don’t know if I’ll be going this year; my handiman didn’t show and time is getting tight to have her sufficiently tested.
But hey! There’a always next year, isn’t there?
Buen Camino everyone.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Why not? Why are you called Rebekah?
But, actually, she is called Jamilla because it's the Arabic word for 'ideal' or 'perfect' or 'beautiful' - take your pick. :D
This is not to say she is or has any of those qualities - it's an aspirational name ....

... although, if I'd learned some Spanish before I'd named her, I'd have spelled it with ONE 'L'.
'Hamiyya' isn't quite the ticket, is it?

I am surprised that dogs would misunderstand the nature of your beast based on sight alone. I have a deaf and blind dog who gets by amazingly well on her sense of smell alone. My theory is that, unbeknownst to you, dogs have been piddling on Jamilla's legs/wheels and leaving a scent that arouses the curiosity of other dogs. I would go with the masking spray.

This is a scream. If you weren't doing this for such a worthy cause, I would tell you to forget it -- the camino is not a backdrop for self-aggrandizing weird stunts. Treat the Way with dignity, and you don't have to worry about sex-crazed terriers or territorial mastiffs. Just walk it as a plain old pilgrim. No wooden donkey trolley required.
Bravo Rebekah! Cannot wait to see what is actually raised. I fundraise for a living and these things ... what was it someone said, " I will not comment". Have met lovely people walking the Camino for charity, being followed by their home crowd, with blogs about their walk and an occasional picture of them wearing the 'causes' t-shirt'. Very low key, graceful. Not walking around with a lifesize donkey bank. Ouppps, I was supposed to '"not comment".

... although, if I'd learned some Spanish before I'd named her, I'd have spelled it with ONE 'L'.
'Hamiyya' isn't quite the ticket, is it?
Ummm, being that it's not a living creature and is made of wire, plastic, cloth, etc it would be okay to change the object's name without any fear of legal ramifications. I don't think you will have to employ the services of a lawyer, or even go to court.
No different than say re-naming a boat.

I am surprised that dogs would misunderstand the nature of your beast based on sight alone. I have a deaf and blind dog who gets by amazingly well on her sense of smell alone. My theory is that, unbeknownst to you, dogs have been piddling on Jamilla's legs/wheels and leaving a scent that arouses the curiosity of other dogs. I would go with the masking spray.
The truth is that many dog LOATH anything on wheels. This is why they chase cars and trucks, why they are afraid of kids on skateboards, bicycles, rollerblades. At my local dog run we forbid all things on wheels, not for the dogs' sake as much as for the security of those who think this is a good place to enjoy their hobby. If you know you are likely to meet dogs, who are local residents, why on earth would you want to enter their perimeter and scare them or upset them so they can come and a have a bite out of you?

My theory is that, unbeknownst to you, dogs have been piddling on Jamilla's legs/wheels and leaving a scent that arouses the curiosity of other dogs.
Not at all, Bama – as I said above, one dog reacted to her from the other side of the road. They tend to from a distance, and only then approach.
Plus she’s never been out of my sight. That's what I find so surprising.

Mark – I’ve already made a website for her with the double ‘l’ spelling. Plus, everyone except the Spanish will pronounce it the Arabic way. As to ‘name-changing of an inanimate object’ – well, first of all she’s very ‘animate’ to me (I’ve lived with her since her conception) and secondly I changed my own name when I was 49.

Anenome – you seem to prefer dogs to human beings. Much as I love them myself, I ‘m wired the other way round.
Dogs don’t own Spain – or didn’t the last time I looked.
I don’t intend to invade their legitimate space – just looking to find safe ways of protecting us both should they invade MINE.
If you actually read what I wrote above - quite obviously none of the dogs we've met have either 'loathed' or feared her - wheels or not.
What I'm concerned about is the attitude of maybe untrained guard dogs.
I know how to handle such dogs myself, but Jamilla is an unknown equation.

Last edited:

€46,-
I spent years as a foster mother for hundreds of dogs. Some had been abused, some had been abandoned. Some were well trained some had never heard the word no. Some freaked out over people in sunglasses and lightning and bikes and statues and bags flying in the wind. Some didn't notice. I love dogs but it would be incorrect to say that I prefer them to humans. That is a stretch to accuse Anemone of that.
It was explained to me by the dog trainer that dogs are left and right sided, just as we are (you can find out whether your dog is left or right sided by throwing a ball. The direction they turn in to bring it back to you is the side they prefer). Dogs who are afraid of storms and such are always left sided.
My dog is left sided and terrified of anything she can't identify. She has a Thundershirt for storms and I taught her to touch. This means that I give the command "touch" and she touches her nose to my hand. We walk the hike and bike trail here in Austin where there is a large statue of Stevie Ray Vaughn. She is terrified of this statue and refused to walk by it. I employed touch (placing my hand on its shoe) and she got over it and now doesn't seem to notice SRV. Some day we will test the Willie Statue downtown and see how she feels about statues in general. Or maybe it is just musicians?
Anyway - there really isn't much you can do about sensitive dogs. You don't have time to allow them to become familiar with Jamilla or train them to overcome their fears. Like it or not, you ARE taking Jamilla into their territory and you'll just have to deal with their fear as you go. The good news is that a scared dog is more likely to make a lot of noise and stay the hell away from you and your contraption, right? Probably the safest thing to do is to just keep moving steadily by them.

My theory is that, unbeknownst to you, dogs have been piddling on Jamilla's legs/wheels and leaving a scent that arouses the curiosity of other dogs.
Not at all, Bama – as I said above, one dog reacted to her from the other side of the road. They tend to from a distance, and only then approach.
Plus she’s never been out of my sight. That's what I find so surprising.

Mum, you're probably right but don't underestimate the power of a dog's nose. It is thousands of times keener than ours.

The good news is that a scared dog is more likely to make a lot of noise and stay the hell away from you and your contraption, right? Probably the safest thing to do is to just keep moving steadily by them.

This is excellent advice. Still, Baden-Powell told us to be prepared. I would think most peregrinos already carry whatever they need to stay safe: hiking poles, a whistle to summon help. Best to keep moving and avoid eye contact with aggressive dogs. Most, I suspect are merely currious. I have no idea why any would want to mount a mechanical donkey that doesn't smell like a dog in heat but I presume my leg doesn't smell like one either and well, sometimes ...

Mum, you're probably right but don't underestimate the power of a dog's nose. It is thousands of times keener than ours.

This is excellent advice. Still, Baden-Powell told us to be prepared. I would think most peregrinos already carry whatever they need to stay safe: hiking poles, a whistle to summon help. Best to keep moving and avoid eye contact with aggressive dogs. Most, I suspect are merely currious. I have no idea why any would want to mount a mechanical donkey that doesn't smell like a dog in heat but I presume my leg doesn't smell like one either and well, sometimes ...
That mounting behavior is only very rarely about sex - it is usually about dominance. A dog that tries to mount you is intimidated by you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So interesting about dogs being left or right sided - I will go and throw Oaky a ball and see which way he is!
I think you are going to have an amazing time Jamilla and Jamilla's Mum! You have the requisite sense of humour that will get you through the hard bits.
Having recently had my dog Oaky attacked by 2 silent and deadly guard dogs I agree you need to think of precautions. Luckily as I was thinking - my husband kicked them both in the head and they eventually backed off. Before anyone chirps in that it is cruel - I (and my husband ) agree - but we were not about to watch our 12 year old dog get ripped to bits. Many dogs are kept just as guards and have no training/socialising at all. It is irresponsible owners of these animals allowing them to get out that is the problem - not the poor dogs. I had 2 dog attacks in less than a week in France after never being attacked in 30 years of travelling! So I think it is rare but you have to be ready in case.
For Jamilla - I think as Tia and others said - use a spray around her feet that puts dogs off - it should stop her getting urinated on - which attracts more dogs. Have a stout stick and strong boots and be prepared to use them if necessary. Most importantly have a pocket full of dog biscuits - most dogs prefer them to human flesh or even faux-donkey! And how about a horn of some type - which sounds like a donkey bray - that would be fab!
Make sure you post when you go so we can support you - Bon Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Find a bottle of pepper sauce, dilute it with water, and splash it on the apparatus. It won't harm a dog, but they'll keep their distance from it.

Ummm, being that it's not a living creature and is made of wire, plastic, cloth, etc it would be okay to change the object's name without any fear of legal ramifications. I don't think you will have to employ the services of a lawyer, or even go to court.
No different than say re-naming a boat.
Renaming a boat is bad luck

Well, many thanks to all those who've offered advice. Sometimes, even though that advice is not directly taken it leads one to find what will work.
So today I've ordered a bottle of 'bitter apple' spray to spray her with as a deterrent. (I hope it smells nice to humans.)
I've also decided not to buy the dog dazer - reviews range from 'amazing' to 'useless' and I don't want to be caught out.

Strangely enough, given that I haven't been on here today until now, it suddenly came to me to take a supply of tennis balls.
I'm hoping that if I toss a ball towards a charging dog it will decide to chase after that instead of us.
If not, I'm afraid it will get my stick instead - but not to chase after. :p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bitter Apple also works for some dogs and not for others, strangely enough. I tried it and I was puckered UP by it. I put it on furniture to stop chewing. It doesnt smell like anything...but it tastes awful. To some dogs. Others don't seem to mind it one bit. And it can stain certain surfaces, so be careful.
I know that ammonia sprayed around garbage cans will deter cats ( who perceive it as evidence of a big, big cat). I wonder if it would strike dogs the same way?

Well, many thanks to all those who've offered advice. Sometimes, even though that advice is not directly taken it leads one to find what will work.
So today I've ordered a bottle of 'bitter apple' spray to spray her with as a deterrent. (I hope it smells nice to humans.)
I've also decided not to buy the dog dazer - reviews range from 'amazing' to 'useless' and I don't want to be caught out.

Strangely enough, given that I haven't been on here today until now, it suddenly came to me to take a supply of tennis balls.
I'm hoping that if I toss a ball towards a charging dog it will decide to chase after that instead of us.
If not, I'm afraid it will get my stick instead - but not to chase after. :p
Not if that dog is a Ridgeback ;)

Oh dear. I did hope the bitter apple would be effective. After reading dozens of websites it seemed so.
I don't want to use ammonia as she has to be around people and maybe in a refugio.

Do you mean ridgebacks don't chase after balls? Well, hopefully there won't be any en route - or maybe they'll think it's a stone. :rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh dear. I did hope the bitter apple would be effective. After reading dozens of websites it seemed so.
I don't want to use ammonia as she has to be around people and maybe in a refugio.

Do you mean ridgebacks don't chase after balls? Well, hopefully there won't be any en route - or maybe they'll think it's a stone. :rolleyes:
Amonia is exactly what the dogs will be depositing on Jamilla when she is parked outside the albergue for the night.,

"Amonia is exactly what the dogs will be depositing on Jamilla when she is parked outside the albergue for the night."

Why would you think they would, Anenome? For sure, none have tried it so far.
As I said, they treat her like another creature, and they're far more interested in getting to know her, each in their own way.

Ridgebacks are trained to hunt lions. Rather, they are trained to play with lions until lions give up and lie down. They are the only dog bred to play...as long as your idea of play doesn't involve them retrieving anything. I have seen them do it once or twice, just to be polite - but they otherwise have no interest in retrieving anything for anyone. Neither has my dog - she is a shephard. She'd be more interested in nudging you and Jamilla into a safer place (or she would be if she could overcome her fear of Jamilla). You'll mostly be seeing dogs of a shepherd mix on Camino. Dogs would urinate on her for the same reason they would hump her - to show dominance.
Ammonia evaporates quickly, you wouldn't have to worry about a smell for other humans. The question is whether it would make a dog want to stay away from her.
Honestly - I really don't think you're going to have a real problem with this despite this lengthy thread. Take some biscuits and throw them in the general direction of dogs who seem too interested. The problem any dog will have with her is that she is unidentifiable by sight or smell. (I once had a foster that lost its mind over sunglasses. Bug eyes! Alien! Panic!) You aren't going to have the time or the inclination to train each dog to relax around her so just keep walking steadily by after throwing out a dog biscuit.

Don't comment, don't comment....Okay, I have to by saying my ridgebacks only chased lizards and cats, usually with deadly effectiveness.
My favorite breed - head and shoulders above the rest. I miss mine (died in 2010) every single day.

Thanks, Chacharm. Very informative, and the biscuits are a good idea.
I'm sorry about your dog. I've lost a dog and several cats over the years. Don't dare get another as I travel too much and it would be unfair on them.
(Also, they'd probably outlive me; my animal friends have all been rather long-lived.)

Once a dog lifts its leg on that thing you might as well throw it t away. Every dog within miles will do the same. I had a friend who had to get rid of a tent which had become a mandatory marking spot for the local dogs.

Newfy, please - she is not 'that thing'. You don't have to like her - but you're being very unpleasant about someone who's done you no harm.
As no dog has yet tried to 'mark' her I very much doubt that it will happen.
If so, well - she isn't averse to taking a shower (with soap). She's a very clean lady. ;)

Last edited:
Oteh? Not my one. (she's a kooky burra.)

Is there room to swing a cat on the Camino, then? I thought you could only carry cats to St Ives.
But if the EC allows, why then - thank you David - problem solved. And it won't upset the dog lovers, either.

Oteh? Not my one. (she's a kooky burra.)

Is there room to swing a cat on the Camino, then? I thought you could only carry cats to St Ives.
But if the EC allows, why then - thank you David - problem solved. And it won't upset the dog lovers, either.

Don Quixote (pronounced donkey oteh)

Good point about the cats, perhaps kittens then?

€83,-
Donkey Oteh I know, David. Though I'm more a Sancho Panza fan, myself.
Took a whole heap of photos of his statue in Madrid a couple of years ago, when starting to think about building Jamilla.

Kittens? Naw - too noisy.
Dog-lovers? Now there's a thought, Mike. They'd just love being thrown to the guard dogs, I'm sure.
Everyone happy all round. Problem solved. :D

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back