• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs of the Camino Frances

Oztrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
I started in st jean and am currently in leon. My foot is blistered after my boots wore out.

Have completed many long distance treks longest is 1000 km, bibulmun track.
As a dog lover I thought I would start this thread to encourage pilgrims to share there encounters with mans best friend.

This dog reminds me of an Australian Kelpie. He is very quick and wily. You will not get close to pet him, this ruff muchacha will give the dog catcher a run for his money.

But then again I think he may have a weakness for Icecream.

DSC_3154.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I love this idea for a thread!

This first "dog"was in Villar de Mazarife. He was so happy to see us that we couldn't get photo that wasn't blurry! Dog5.jpg

The second dog was so darn cute! Dog4.jpg

The third "dog" was so ugly that it was cute. Dog3.jpg (The "ugly dog" is the one on the right.) We met him in Foncebadon.

The fourth "dog" ran out onto the street to meet us. Dog6.jpg

The fifth "dog" was curious about us but didn't want to be touched. Dog1.jpg

The sixth dog was very affectionate. Dog2.jpg

Sorry, I didn't mean to highjack the thread but putting other animals here but that was one of our favorite parts of the Camino. Lots of various animals to play with!

Ron

Last edited:
Those lion dogs are amazing.

This miniture doberman is not going to win any dog shows, but he sure wins on personality.

DSC_3149.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great idea for a thread! I have lots of photos of dogs, cats, donkeys, horses, cattle.....

September 2013 - I think this big guy was in Najera One man and his dog.jpg

June 2015 - Damian the pilgrim dog - a very popular and friendly character.
IMG_4006.jpg

The danemation is an absolute beauty.

The pink albino scrotum is remarkable.

Last edited:
The third "dog" was so ugly that it was cute. View attachment 19867 The "ugly dog" is the one on the right. We met him in Foncebadon.

This third "dog" kept trying to headbutt me because I wasn't feeding my grapes (bought!) fast enough!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Damian has his own back pack. That danemation could be a pilgrims bag taxi. Do tiendas sell dog food because he is going to eat.

I wish i had taken a photo of the dog with the overbite in molinaseca.

You can find him, just go over the bridge, order a bacon bocadillo and he will come running and take a photo.

He is an amazing little character dog. Wish i had photographed him.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wish i had taken a photo of the dog with the overbite in molinaseca.

You can find him, just go over the bridge, order a bacon bocadillo and he will come running and take a photo.

He is an amazing little character dog. Wish i had photographed him.
I think I have a picture of this dog. Does he look like Chubakah? Heve never seen such a horrible bite on a dog before.

Yep thats him, cute as a button.

This dog greeted me at a perfect time.
DSC_3204.JPG

I had got up at 5 was walking by 530. Got to perede/trabadelo not sure which one, only to watch 5 people push in on the coffee que delaying me 15 minutes and pushing me 15 minutes further into the mid day heat.

This was after the ponferrada albergue line pusher innerers, food thieves - the day before.

My patience was being tested.

Then everything was okay again when this bundle of love and joy showed up.

DSC_3201.JPG I love dogs more than most pilgrims.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
DSC_3208.JPG I guess animals feel comfortable around me. Like this lion dog thatjoined me on a bench seat at ferrerias.

Maybe I need to read up on the saint that was great with animals.

Dog lovers head for the Chemin Le Puy or the Vezelay! The French are bonkers about dogs and would not dream of going anywhere at all without their best friend. Special clothes for dogs, special gear for dogs, dogs that haven't walked a city block in years since Mama or Papa always carry them - no dirty feet for us please! Store owners regularly place bowls of water at the entrance to their shops. Panhandlers, huskers, and beggars can usually be seen with a canine backup so that donations might be given for the dog. You won't see them in church but that's not the fault of the dogs. The usual Spanish relationship with dogs? Less said the better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the most striking but little acknowledged abilities of dogs is their awesome poo generating capacity.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is cujo a saint bernard? Where is his grappa keg?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This dog greeted me at a perfect time.
I'm pretty sure this is the same dog in 2013

9277361657_f0f09c2131_c.jpg

And this was at the same bar (just before Burgos)

9280131548_45000b8115_z.jpg

My favorite Camino dog lives in Bilbo on the norte

9329310113_d5890d0c5d.jpg

Also the resident chicken at the vegetarian albergue before Sarria. It was being henpecked by its siblings so the grandmother suggested frying it for dinner (presumably not for the albergue). The 6 year old revolted so it become an albergue pet

9312541975_50a75b447d.jpg

This dog was on Camino
9303577879_88d0377080.jpg

And as a border collie owner, I particularly enjoyed a lot of the working dogs along camino. Alas, I can't find the picture or two I took of those at moment.

That camino dog is expressing pure happiness. Briliant photo.

I'd make him the guest of honor at any fiesta!!! ;) Ok, that was wrong. But I'm from southeast Louisiana and love Spain. I'm big on the pig
Noooooooooooooo! He was just like the family dog .................... or wait a minute!!!!!! Is that why everyone was giving him treats???? :eek::eek::eek:

Noooooooooooooo! He was just like the family dog .................... or wait a minute!!!!!! Is that why everyone was giving him treats???? :eek::eek::eek:
I can't speak for that family, but the spanish tend to treat their pigs VERY well......even if......

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can't speak for that family, but the spanish tend to treat their pigs VERY well......even if......
I think I better go back and see if he's OK? Hornillos if I remember rightly? :rolleyes:

Here are my Camino friends, some from the Frances, others from the Norte. And there's the picture of "Chubaca" and his undershot bite. He's from the Acebo. The short hair dog with the split not is called the Pachon de Navarra. It's a breed from the north of Spain and it is believed that it is the ancestor of the Clumber Spaniel. Carion.JPG Casa Carmen 2.JPG Casa Carmen.JPG Chubaca del Acebo.JPG Guemes.jpg IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0503.JPG IMG_0705.jpg IMG_0710.jpg IMG_1751.jpg Casa Carmen 2.JPG

Ooops, the Pachon did not make it. Let's try again. Not the prettiest with that nose, but a great hunter. And once in a while we still get a Clumber Spaniel puppy in a litter with a nose like this one. When you think the Clumber goes back futher back than 1792 (old painting from that year hanging on my wall) it shows you the magic of genetics. I had been wanting to see one of these dogs for a long time, and then one day, outside of Pamplona, on a cold drizzling morning of May 2013 (all it did was rain) I see this dog with his owner in the middle of the plaza. Camino magic! I knew that moment had been made just for me.
Pachon.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
20120920_141716.jpg Albergue de la Piedra - owners best friend - 201220120920_141716.jpg On the trail 2012 somewhere around Villovieco20120909_080022.jpg

Amemone great pics but it is not the tiny wookie from molinaseca.

The pooches of the el refugio at la faba.

An injured puppy arrived at el rufugio a month ago he has an injury across his back he was homeless. Susan is just one of the many pilgrims offering this puppy love and affection.

DSC_3223.JPG

Bessito is his name and he has found his loving home at el refuggio in la fabba.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is the other pooch knocking about la faba. I have no idea of his story. He is super friendly and gentle, therefore a great reflection on the owners.

DSC_3226.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks likeLassie crossed with a border collie wow. What a combo

€46,-
This is Sana. She ran the Camino, covering at least twice the distance of her owner with her out and backs. As her owner said, Today (with her bone) she is the happiest dog on earth.DSCF0440.JPG

I only saw this guy on the last day. Adorable. Glad to see he's carrying his own weight.DSCF0490.JPG

@BShea that is the most amazing photo, what a fluff ball, impeccably groomed and has a matching pack.

That dog is loved.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This little guy came to us in the albergue in A Mesa on Camino Primitivo. He wouldn't leave the pilgrim in the picture they were playing for an hour before the owner came and got the dog back.
DdzRlPRV7iwzfGYYqemMyS3QDyR6ihF7ZtQDt91GJv0=s640-no

Chewbacca or a warewolf in Melide.
J0fYOOidsMP3wKtxxKwSXaoF6vwaSBY0smHXsVIaVKw=s640-no

A dog with his own rain coat in Boente.
F3TbNJeWK30PTZnncDTQTA6HG_zRPpjyqOgX8vQ4iGI=s640-no

Tired dogs in Santiago de Compostela. There owner was a pilgrim and they had walked as well.
xTgh9I1uQzyC31yMiS_OZPsXgZ_3immHGWBawttY4qQ=s640-no

The man who asked me if I needed a lover on the camino with a what happens on the camino stays on the camino statement had a dog. Just before O Cebreiro.
3VjPh5T7328A-UphtXaX3XkIzS-kANRyTEnhBqo_F7U=w3836-h2548-no

I didn't get so many dogs as I'm a cat person. Have several cat's some bugs, snails, cows, donkeys and horses as well.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Such a treat to meet this amazing little ball of muscle. My son and his partner have a very similar dog (my "Grandson") so I felt very protective of this one! :)
View media item 5667

I saw many dogs (and others) along the Camino...they all brightened my day, even the extortionist horses on the Norte that nudged my pack looking for payment to cross their land. Some of my favorites...the House Dog at Guermes (I disliked everything else so much, but he made it all worth it), a small terrier on the way to Markina that would jump onto the backs of the sheep to bark at me (sorry, poor quality due to rain), and the star of my blog post 'sometimes you have to stop to pet the puppies,' a Mastiff de Leon pup (strategically?) tied outside a bar leaving Astorga...I was already in pilgrim-shock having left the Norte to rejoin the Frances, and was caught in a wave of chattering pilgrims who marched by the bar in quick-step. I had coffee, one of the worst tortillas ever, and played with a puppy until the crowds thinned.

Attachments

• Hi, want to stop.jpg
    Hi, want to stop.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • I'm a Mastiff de Leon.jpg
    I'm a Mastiff de Leon.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • ah, puppy nibbles.jpg
    ah, puppy nibbles.jpg
    717.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Guermes bright spot.JPG
    Guermes bright spot.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • stop!.JPG
    stop!.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back