• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs on the Camino.

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
I once met a Hospitalero that had a tiny dog with her during her stint of service. This was her 'child' and there was no ways that it was going to be left at home.She also boasted that she had walked from Le Puy to Santiago ,hiding the dog on her during stays at traditional Albergues.
Then there was a Hospitalero in the old Burgos Park Albergue - his dog was no larger that a rat .Any interaction with the dog would result in it lifting a paw as if injured and flop on to its back in absolute submission - he he :D
Also , what would Castrojeriz be without that Bar with all the pets snuggeled up to the fireplace where Bernie the German shepherd would latch on to a pilgrim and follow them to the next town.

There was a young chap that I met who had a German Shepherd that had followed him from some small town all the way to Santiago. He then had the dog 'chipped' , bought a 3 man tent and headed back in reverse. It was his dream to form a frienship and fill the empty berth in his tent , any takers Ladies??
Finally , there was a Dutch Lady who had acquired a rescue dog and walked all the way from home to Santiago.I met her in the Meseta. It was freezing that night and with the absence of a Hospitalero ,I suggested the dog sleep in the small reception area . Another difficult pilgrim who had caused other problems , threatened that if the dog barked , they would have to go.
So late at night , there was a sound and of course the dog did its job in protecting us and barked - the difficult pilgrim had a fit which woke everyone up and shamed the Lady into departing at 3 in the morning - what an ar*%@le ( sorry Ivar -edit if you have to) :mrgreen:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
June 2004 at Olveiroa on the Finisterre route a pilgrim turned up with a dog that had travelled with him from SJPP.

The warden would not let the dog sleep in any part of the refugio so the guy slept outside under the veranda where pilgrims ung their washing.

Several of the younger pilgrims took their sleeping bags and joined them in solidarity.

There was a fellow walking with 3 dogs last year when I walked. He had tried to find them homes before leaving for his Camino, to no avail. I felt bad for the animals, though. I saw him towards the end and the dogs were really suffering from the long distances, not to mention, I think he was low on money for food for them. There were three SA ladies who explained his story to me in Azofra and said they had been periodically giving him money to buy food for the dogs. I do not believe he was one of those "pobrecitos" but was a genuine pilgrim who just couldn't find good homes for his animals before he left. I really felt bad for him and the animals because I know he was sleeping outside with them as they are not allowed in the albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilgrims shouldn´t take dogs with them, even if a stray dog follows them.
We have three dogs, all of them "gifts of St. James," who are refugees picked up by pilgrims along the camino. We have kept a few more, and later found homes for them, when pilgrims decided they no longer wanted to have canine company on the trail. (we had a couple of pilgrims return here and take dogs home with them to Belgium!)

I wonder sometimes whose pet I am keeping, whose hunting dog, whose companion that wandered away and hasn´t been seen by them again. The dogs are happy here, well-loved and cared-for. But the strays keep coming, and we really do not need any more dogs.

It seems like a picture-book image, walking west with Old Shep by your side, or some strarving mongrel who "adopts" you along the Way. But 20K+ per day is too much to ask from any critter. And he has to end up somewhere. Who will take the dog when you return home?

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back