Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs on the Invierno

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Invierno October 2022
I am looking to walk the Invierno in May or June next year. My companion-to-be is scared [ I mean REALLY scared ] of dogs, and I am a bit leery myself. Could folks who have walked the Invierno lately please post an update on whether or not they had any encounters with unfriendly dogs?

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think the dog in Villavieja (before Cornatel Castle) is there and likely to be barking his head off. He is a big mastiff type. Knowing that he has never bitten anyone though should give you some solace. I had spent some time with the owner of the casa rural before venturing out. He was there working on some upgrades and I asked whether that big loose dog was still there and he said yes. If you still are not comfortable walking past him, I think you can follow the reliable routine of just standing there and yelling OIGA while he is barking and wait for the owner to show up. He will eventually, even though he isn't very hospitable about it. In fact, as I've probably already said in a thousand posts that you've read, Alan, I always use that trick and it always works.

I think the dog in Villavieja (before Cornatel Castle) is there and likely to be barking his head off. He is a big mastiff type. Knowing that he has never bitten anyone though should give you some solace. I had spent some time with the owner of the casa rural before venturing out. He was there working on some upgrades and I asked whether that big loose dog was still there and he said yes. If you still are not comfortable walking past him, I think you can follow the reliable routine of just standing there and yelling OIGA while he is barking and wait for the owner to show up. He will eventually, even though he isn't very hospitable about it. In fact, as I've probably already said in a thousand posts that you've read, Alan, I always use that trick and it always works.
Love the Oiga but it can be very intimidate if you are afraid of big dogs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I came across quite a few dogs on the Invierno. I am not overly fond of dogs especially when they are big and barking (terrified of them actually). When I am bailed up by the dogs I don't speak, but stand still and wait, and in 4 of the 5 cases, the owner appeared, calling the dogs back. I cross my sticks behind, wait patiently and eventually things get sorted. There was one terrifying incident when I met three big chaps, with no one was around. I quietly, and slowly, advanced, and around the corner met another 2 big boys! I stopped and waited, again, no-one came and so with sticks poised (for what, I have no idea!)I slowly advanced. They sniffed around while I slowly left the village, took off across the fields to the main road where I went on a detour to the next village so as to not pass the dogs who were frolicking on the road further down. As it turns out I had turned off the path, because I wasn't sure exactly when I had to turn right and crossed a bridge to make sure where I was - a mistake which would have meant I wouldn't have met the dogs if I had continued straight on.

I came across quite a few dogs on the Invierno. I am not overly fond of dogs especially when they are big and barking (terrified of them actually). When I am bailed up by the dogs I don't speak, but stand still and wait, and in 4 of the 5 cases, the owner appeared, calling the dogs back. I cross my sticks behind, wait patiently and eventually things get sorted. There was one terrifying incident when I met three big chaps, with no one was around. I quietly, and slowly, advanced, and around the corner met another 2 big boys! I stopped and waited, again, no-one came and so with sticks poised (for what, I have no idea!)I slowly advanced. They sniffed around while I slowly left the village, took off across the fields to the main road where I went on a detour to the next village so as to not pass the dogs who were frolicking on the road further down. As it turns out I had turned off the path, because I wasn't sure exactly when I had to turn right and crossed a bridge to make sure where I was - a mistake which would have meant I wouldn't have met the dogs if I had continued straight on.
Oh what an history,I am sure you were very worried about the dogs,but you found your way,leaving the dogs behind.

Some tips for walking around dogs in Spain...

1. If you use hiking sticks, STOP USING THEM. Carry both over a shoulder until you are well past a dog. Many dogs, especially in rural areas of Spain, are work or farm dogs, not pets. Accordingly, they are sometimes treated as such by their owners. Sadly, many dogs were trained to obey using corporal punishment, such as a stick. They regard your hiking sticks / poles / staff, as the stick used to train them...the painful way...'nuff said...

2. Speak quietly to the dog(s) as you pass. I usually greet them in a conversational tone... "buenos dias, buenas tardes", etc., and tell them to relax..."tranquilo..." I tell them they are good dogs... "buen perro."

3. If a dog is in a yard, field, or building on your left, cross to the right side and keep walking. Dogs are very territorial. Even a well behaved, well trained and cared for family pet will bark if you stray into their territory. Don't walk so close as to provoke them...

4. If a dog attempts to follow you out of the village or hamlet, DO NOT ALLOW IT. Once a dog gets a kilometer or less from their home, their sense of recognition is reduced. Too many people arrive in Santiago with dogs who have decided they were interesting. As the typical farm dog in rural Spain does not wear a collar, have tags, or have a microchip, they are "lost." If you are the pilgrim passing by who thought it was cute, you caused it to happen.

These dogs end up in an animal shelter. Do not allow this to happen. If a dog tries to follow you on your journeys, dissuade the dog. I find that waving my arms, while commanding them to "va a la casa - go to the house" works if delivered in a command voice. Sometimes, simply saying "vamos" works.

On my last Camino, walking from Lisbon, a really cute Jack Russell terrier decided I was interesting enough to follow. I tried all the tips mentioned above, but this fellow was stubborn. I finally had to resort to tossing stones at him, but not to strike him, to induce him to turn around and return from whence he came. I did not strike the dog, or even come very close, but I felt very bad about this afterwards. But, I reasoned that it was necessary to prevent the greater problem of having to deal with a lost dog.

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am looking to walk the Invierno in May or June next year. My companion-to-be is scared [ I mean REALLY scared ] of dogs, and I am a bit leery myself. Could folks who have walked the Invierno lately please post an update on whether or not they had any encounters with unfriendly dogs?

Alan

Yes quit a few of them I met but it was no danger whatsoever!!

Alan

Yes I had a few incidents with dogs off the lead but it didn't put me off as it's an amazing Camino. I've done all the caminos in Spain and it's one of the most beautiful from first to last step!! I normally shout the Galician word "fora" which means go away & that's enough to ward off an aggressive dog! There's another thread you can read too if you do get bit don't worry!! https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/dogs-waiting-to-bite-at-villaviaja.48889/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My tentative 2018 Camino will include the Invierno from Ponferrada. I have recommended it here as an alternative to the Frances and the "Sarria stroll."

FWIW...Normally, I go on Camino for 30 days or so each year (April- May) . But, this year, "she who must be obeyed" shortened the apron string to two weeks. However, la jefa says she will meet me at Santiago for two weeks of tourist travel afterwards. She is NOT interested in doing Camino per se, but IS interested in seeing what I have been up to at Santiago for five years. So, there are places to go, and people to meet...

But, not having actually done the Invierno myself, it behooves me to do so. So I shall. I plan to start from Ponferrada around the 20th of April, and arrive in Santiago in the first week of May.

Easter is April 1 in 2018. So that puts the "Pig in the Python" surge starting at several transportation nodes to the east around Easter behind me, I think...

Once I do this, I will be in a better stead commenting on actual conditions. Heretofore, I have only commented on the Invierno route itself as an alternative to the Sarria segment and the crowds. So, needs must...

I will pay particular attention to the canine situation on the Invierno so I can report more accurately. Through a hilarious turn of events, when preparing to move overseas for a few years, back-in-the-day, I "accidentally" had a three-shot rabies vaccine, with indefinite, long-term effect. In December, I receive my updated tetanus booster. So, bring on the Invierno...

I hope this helps.

My tentative 2018 Camino will include the Invierno from Ponferrada. I have recommended it here as an alternative to the Frances and the "Sarria stroll."

FWIW...Normally, I go on Camino for 30 days or so each year (April- May) . But, this year, "she who must be obeyed" shortened the apron string to two weeks. However, la jefa says she will meet me at Santiago for two weeks of tourist travel afterwards. She is NOT interested in doing Camino per se, but IS interested in seeing what I have been up to at Santiago for five years. So, there are places to go, and people to meet...

But, not having actually done the Invierno myself, it behooves me to do so. So I shall. I plan to start from Ponferrada around the 20th of April, and arrive in Santiago in the first week of May.

Easter is April 1 in 2018. So that puts the "Pig in the Python" surge starting at several transportation nodes to the east around Easter behind me, I think...

Once I do this, I will be in a better stead commenting on actual conditions. Heretofore, I have only commented on the Invierno route itself as an alternative to the Sarria segment and the crowds. So, needs must...

I will pay particular attention to the canine situation on the Invierno so I can report more accurately. Through a hilarious turn of events, when preparing to move overseas for a few years, back-in-the-day, I "accidentally" had a three-shot rabies vaccine, with indefinite, long-term effect. In December, I receive my updated tetanus booster. So, bring on the Invierno...

I hope this helps.
Be aware that there are not so many facilities , you might end up walking long journeys .
Best way is to plan it in advance, enough food and water in your backpack !
Buen Camino!

Thank you, Pruden for the reminder. I always have the ability to overnight in the rough, or bivouac, if need be. My normal kit includes an emergency bivvy sack, a sleeping bag liner, and enough snacks and water to get me through the night. It has never occurred in five years.

But, your point is made, and I will ensure I am prepared, not cutting corners.

Thank you again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If a dog attempts to follow you out of the village or hamlet, DO NOT ALLOW IT.

Ha! That happened to me and some friends on the Rota Vicentina. Three dogs. Quite adorable really (although I am not a dog person), but they would not go back. Yelled at them, threw sticks at them, even spoke Portuguese to them :p. Got to a flooded river and we managed to wade across; now they will go back ;). 20 minutes later, there they were again, right behind us :mad:! But we were finally able to shake them off. Next thing we knew, a vehicle comes up along the dirt track from behind us, with the 3 dogs in the back :eek:. Apparently, in the morning, the dogs had followed walkers who were going from North to South on the Rota Vicentina. We came along in the afternoon, going South to North, and the dogs just wanted to walk back with us. So while we were yelling “GO HOME”, they were thinking “but we are going home” :confused::confused:. The owners had come out looking for them.

(Oops, sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread – I would also love to walk the Invierno – but not if there are loose dogs.)
Jill

Be aware that there are not so many facilities , you might end up walking long journeys .
Best way is to plan it in advance, enough food and water in your backpack !
Buen Camino!

Just to say, the wonderful forum guide, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-de-invierno-2017-edition.535/

proposes stages from 9 - 15 days, so distance should not be a big issue. You might have to call ahead, but it is pretty easy to keep the distances short. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie, I have ordered the 2017/18 CSJ guide with 2 wonderful co-authors:) Hopefully that will give me enough info to go on with?

I hope to be fitting in some jobs in Spain around the Invierno. My travel agent is giving me a hard time trying to get me to commit to dates - next week I will have to give her some, and buy the ticket. Shame about the "Little Aussie Battler" aka the Australian dollar!

Alan

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Alan

If you are approached by a dog never give eye contact, turn your back , fold/cross your arms. NEVER wave arms or legs or walking sticks as this will be seen as a game or aggression.

I started on the Invierno in the summer of 2015, but quit because of the amount of loose dogs I encountered (had my own topic about my little adventure: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/luka-on-the-invierno.35038/). The dogs only barked at me, but for me (as being rather scared of dogs) it was enough to take the joy out of this Camino. It is probably changing though, as the numbers on the Invierno are rising.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm sorry the dogs were such a problem for you Luka.... sounds similar to the VdlP back in 2006. One really scary incident involving 3 farm mastiffs and no owner... and my one hiking stick which I am still convinced was all that prevented us becoming minced meat. Sorry t2Andreo.... I'll be keeping sticks out.... After reading this thread I'm now worried cos friend Sue and I are planning to walk the Invierno in June 2018. Buen camino, Carole

Perhaps we'll see you there Alan?

I'm sorry the dogs were such a problem for you Luka.... sounds similar to the VdlP back in 2006. One really scary incident involving 3 farm mastiffs and no owner... and my one hiking stick which I am still convinced was all that prevented us becoming minced meat. Sorry t2Andreo.... I'll be keeping sticks out.... After reading this thread I'm now worried cos friend Sue and I are planning to walk the Invierno in June 2018. Buen camino, Carole

Perhaps we'll see you there Alan?
Hi Carole

I'll be walking the Invierno with 2 companions [safety in numbers?!] from 28th April to 9th of May, following Lauries' 12 etapa programme. In the second half of June I will have the honour of being a hospitalero at Rabanal. When do you plan to finish your Invierno?

I will be carrying my walking staff on the Invierno!

Alan

I'm sorry the dogs were such a problem for you Luka....
Thanks! It was mostly in my head, nothing really happened. I just couldn't get my mind at ease anymore. You will be fine with the two of you! With the number rising, this Camino is changing. As well as the VdlP did (which I walked in 2013 and 2014 without any dog problems).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Alan, please report back when you have finished. I am starting middle of May. Got inspired by the links here and decided to try the Inviernoroute before reading about the dogproblem.

Hi Carole

I'll be walking the Invierno with 2 companions [safety in numbers?!] from 28th April to 9th of May, following Lauries' 12 etapa programme. In the second half of June I will have the honour of being a hospitalero at Rabanal. When do you plan to finish your Invierno?

I will be carrying my walking staff on the Invierno!

Alan
Hi Alan,

Sorry our paths won't cross. I''ll need to be finished walking the Invierno by the 2o-23rdJune as I need to return home to Australia earlier than expected to welcome our first grandchild.

Buen camino. Carole

We are a crazy, brave lot!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, Reb, maybe you were lucky walking through Villavieja, because there is a huge mastif (not sure if that's the right word) that is almost inevitably out and about and terrorizing pilgrims and guests at the Casa Rural alike. The owner is totally indifferent but if you stand there long enough with the dog barking at you he will eventually get tired of hearing it and come to call him in. I am in the process of doing some updates on the Invierno guide and as I was looking for hours of the Castle of Cornatel, I came across the ayuntamiento's lovely display of pictures of Villavieja. Turns out it is a part of the Priaranza del Bierzo municipality, along with several other villages, and I think I will see if I can follow up with them on this dog issue.

But, take a look at these pictures, to see why even a dog phobe like me found it worthwhile to push forward. http://www.priaranzadelbierzo.org/villavieja/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I should also add if you read the internet about the ]Temperament of Mastiffs. They come across as a good-natured animal, with a calm demeanour. When used as a guard dog it tends to be suspicious of strangers But Never actually attacks them.

Some time ago I wrote that dogs in Galicia did not have to be chipped. I cannot quickly find that posting. So I will inform everyone here that has changed and it is obligatory to have them all chipped.
News in Spanish.
Maybe that will not help any ones fear of dogs. But it is a step in the right direction.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Some time ago I wrote that dogs in Galicia did not have to be chipped. I cannot quickly find that posting. So I will inform everyone here that has changed and it is obligatory to have them all chipped.
News in Spanish.
Maybe that will not help any ones fear of dogs. But it is a step in the right direction.
This is some great information for the fear of dogs.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back