• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs on the Vezelay Route/ female walking alone

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2022 Camino Portuguese and Primitivo
Hi, I have just completed the Le Puy route and walked the Camino Frances a couple of years ago. I am not brave when it comes to dogs and I wonder whether dogs are likely to be intimidating on the Vezelay route or are they fenced in or tied up? I found the dog scene near Ostabat a bit stressful. They were often not fenced and shot out of open gates barking and in one instance gnashing teeth. The rest of the route was no problem at all and Spain was no problem at all. Would really welcome comments, as I am considering walking the Vezelay route next. Also what is it likely to be like for a female on her own. I have found my other two walks perfectly fine by myself, but there were quite a few other pilgrims around. Thanks Gitti

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Me and wife Elisa have been walking the Vezelay route last May. Don't recall dogs on their own, so don't think you should worry about this. Not very many pilgrims around ( at that time we recall having read on albergue books a total of 370 during first five months of 2009) but we believe safety is not an issue. There are stretches in open countriside and some long stretches in forests but you often cross very tiny little villages and hamlets. You can find on the forum some post from an Australian lady ( jl )who did the whole stretch Vezelay-Santiago and she did enjoy it very much . Some basic french would help in calling ahead where needed.
Let me know if i can help on some other thinghs
Giorgio

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back