• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dogs

Cher

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2014
Hello,

I am planning on my first pilgrimage in September, and I keep reading about wild dogs. I have a slight fear of animals. Does anyone have any advice?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sometimes our fears aren't quite logical - but they grip and disable us nevertheless. I get that. What Falcon says is true - and I also know that it only takes one incident with an unleashed dog, or one weak section of an enclosure, to make for a very intense memory.

So … when you encounter dogs, treat them cautiously. Carry your walking sticks in the hand closest to the dog. Dogs know about those sticks and will usually shy away from them. Cross to the opposite side of the roadway. Do not stop, or slow down - just maintain your steady walking pace. Do not look at the dog, especially do not try to stare it down.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That's one reason I always take a walking pole.
I also take a dog tazer http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000IBRI2Y/?tag=casaivar-21 but that's more for my peace of mind ;)
I agree 100% with Kitsambler's advice ...
Whatever you do - don't let concerns about dogs put you off your camino: you'll miss one of the most wonderful events of your life!

I didn't encounter any wild dogs.
There were times when I would walk past a house and the dog outside would bark at me (that's what dogs are supposed to do). As others have suggested, I carried hiking poles and was never afraid to use them, but never needed to. The dogs seem to sense that pilgrims will just keep walking.
Cher, my advice would be to not worry about the dogs you will encounter. Be confident and get ready for a great adventure.
Buen Camino.
PS - I don't know if this dog was even theirs. My impression is that it was not. At any rate, it certainly couldn't have cared less about my walking past. HA!
IMGP4379.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

I am planning on my first pilgrimage in September, and I keep reading about wild dogs. I have a slight fear of animals. Does anyone have any advice?
If you were kept in a cage 24 hours a day you would growl and bark too! For the most part when I approached dogs on the Camino they would run away, much like those who have been abused. The same response came from those behind fences. After quietly saying "Hello" to them, a number starting wagging their tails.

Don't forget the amazing sheep dogs all along the way. Fantastic to watch.

We once stopped on a bench to eat a bit of a sandwich. After a bit I looked over my shoulder to see 3 dogs sitting right behind us looking very expectant as we ate.
They obviously should have been working across the street in a field with a huge number of sheep. No noise... Just sitting there with a hopeful look. I don't think we were the first pilgrims they had seen ;)

After a bit another pilgrim came along and quietly said "ok boys...back to work (in Spanish)" and they got up and ran back to the sheep.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
upload_2014-1-27_15-14-21.png upload_2014-1-27_15-17-28.png upload_2014-1-27_15-20-48.png
Taking the sun. Cattle passing. Family pet.
Hola FooteK,
This is the same dog as in your photograph.
Nothing bothered him, however he did manage to get up and have a look at the cattle passing.
Third photo is of the family who run the albergue.
Buen Camino.
Slán.
Des

Almost all the dogs NOT behind a fence or wearing a collar and a lead, are very tame - as the photo above shows.

One thing to be aware of is, as you are walking through a very small village or a farm, if you walk too close to a stone wall or fence surrounding a garden or a home, there may be a dog on the other side hiding/sleeping in the shade. If the dog senses that you are "too close" s/he may act territorial - as dogs are wont to do - and bark loudly with fangs bared. So, as you walk down some of these narrow "streets," try not to get too close to the fences or walls.

Personally, I had more of a problem with cute little dogs following me and "adopting me" than acting aggressively towards me. The big dogs usually just sniff, yawn, or roll over and go back to sleep. If you are not perceived as a threat, they ignore you. I never had a problem. But having two hiking poles helped my sense of security.;)

I usually just said hello, wished them a good siesta and kept walking. I have two constructive suggestions:

1. Do not make eye contact as in staring at a dog - they will sense this as a challenge and they may become aggressive

2. Do not bare your teeth, or wave your poles about in a threatening manner. That is a sure fire way to get the dog worked up.:eek:

I take the position that, if I ignore the dog and give s/he a wide berth, they will be bored with me. On the Camino Frances at least, dogs see pilgrims every day. They know the drill.

Also, and as someone pointed out above, a "watch dog" is most likely to be kept penned in the yard or on a lead with collar. Stay on your side of the fence or wall - know your place in the dog's world - and all will be good.:)

We once stopped on a bench to eat a bit of a sandwich. After a bit I looked over my shoulder to see 3 dogs sitting right behind us looking very expectant as we ate. ..............
This dog came out of the farm while we were standing eating our snacks and looked very hopeful. It followed us as, still eating, we walked on a few yards up the road so as not to encourage it in looking for food from pilgims. When we finished it left!

Attachments

• hopeful dog .jpg
    hopeful dog .jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We didn't see as many dogs as I expected when we walked the CF. I would not consider any of them to be "aggressive." Yes, some barked as you passed, but as someone else said, that's what they're supposed to do. Many of them seemed to take a "ho-hum, just another pilgrim" attitude and go on with their business. Most of the dogs that approached us were friendly, just wanting a scratch behind the ears. My general rule of thumb is to simply ignore an unfamiliar dog unless it shows outward signs of aggression, and NEVER to tease or antagonize a dog -- even those that are behind a fence or otherwise restrained.

My compact, ok small, terrier does not have a trace of aggression in her. Unless you are a stranger intruding on our (her) space. If that occurs she will signal with snarls and bared teeth. Only if you choose, despite this clear signalling, to intrude further into her space will she adopt attack behaviour. The yard dogs of Spain have exactly the same attitude. You will need to seriously provoke one before it will physically attack. The aggression displays are supposed to intimidate but physical attack is a high risk option that most dogs will try their very hardest to avoid. A trained and homed dog is never a threat and most dogs almost never.

The only time, ever, that I have been bitten by a Spanish dog it was by the spoiled lapdog of a spoiled Duena in an over- priced Hostal in Malaga. It objected to my large hairy and scruffy appearance disturbing it's well padded lap. As the Duena objected to my mere presence in her Reception.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Cher, I share a version of fear of dogs, and I am always on the alert for dogs running at me. Curiously in all my time on the Camino (more than six months if you add it all up) I've never had a dog run at me. The odds will be in your favor!

I have only ever had dog problems on the VdLP. I started carrying a stone with me which I would make as if to throw it at them and they always backed off. This only happened a couple of times.

View attachment 7816 View attachment 7817 View attachment 7818
Taking the sun. Cattle passing. Family pet.
Hola FooteK,
This is the same dog as in your photograph.
Nothing bothered him, however he did manage to get up and have a look at the cattle passing.
Third photo is of the family who run the albergue.
Buen Camino.
Slán.
Des
LOL!! Delighted.
It was a long, hot day, and I totally understood the dog's inactivity. It's so nice to see your photos of the same dog!!:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

I only encountered sleepy, cute dogs! Even the wandering ones weren't interested in the pilgrims. The cute photos here say it all!

Attachments

• IMG_00000607.jpg
    IMG_00000607.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 19
I am also afraid of dogs, having been attacked by a pit bull years ago.

Someone on this forum told me, years ago, when a barking dog approaches, bend down and pick up a stone.

I met a couple of barking dogs on the VDLP.
Picked up a stone, and they ran away.
Works like a charm!

For those who are afraid of dogs, remember they have a language all their own. They see you as a "giant" (and not a Jolly Green one) who is at least 4x bigger than you are! Think how you'd feel!
If you squat down and say "Hello" the very least it will do is change their image, and remember a "wagging tail" beats a "bark" when you're playing Dog Poker.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annie has it right. I have yet to find a bad dog, even the Sierra de Estrella monsters in Portugal, who had spiked collars and sheep to guard.. I usually can get them belly up wagging their tail. If a dog seems like he might come after you, the mere motion of picking up a rock will stop them dead in their tracks. I have never had to throw one.

For those who are afraid of dogs,
Stay away from them.:) There is no reason to act like a dog lover if you are not one. There are as many bad outcomes as good ones when the dog is not obviously friendly. A friend's son has a dozen stitches in his face from the family dog, a very personable Springer spaniel up to that point. Don't get anything near a dog's mouth that you do not want bitten. Every dog has animal instincts, and it is wise to remember that. Except for dogs in need of rescue, dogs get their emotional support from their owners, and do not need yours. Most pilgrim/dog interactions are to impress other pilgrims, not to provide for the dog. Just stay away if you can.;)

I agree with Falcon, avoid if you can. Years ago (many more than I want to admit to :D ), I was a paperboy. A customer of mine had a Doberman Pinscher which was friendly enough, petted him lots of times. Then one day I reached over to pet him and he bit my hand! No damage done, but you just never know! As far as the Camino goes, all the dogs we met were very friendly, even this "Cujo" looking dog that took a break from his work herding sheep to see if we had any extra food when we stopped for a lunch break along the trail.20130823_115927.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No wild dogs, but there is an occasional aggressive dog on farms or in yards. Virtually 100% are contained.
That is really good information. I too am going in Sepember/October 2014 and have been reading about vicious dogs along the way. I guess all it takes is one to get everyone riled up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one thing I will really miss on my Camino is my dog, so i'm hoping I can at least have a bit of a smooth and a belly tickle with random dogs along the way, I used to volunteer at a local dog shelter so are quite used to weird and aggressive behaviour from our canine friends. If my boarder collie saw a group of walkers coming towards her she would nip their ankles very gently and proceed to round them up and put them in a field and close the gate with her paws and sit and wait for a biscuit for a job well done.

For those who are afraid of dogs, remember they have a language all their own. They see you as a "giant" (and not a Jolly Green one) who is at least 4x bigger than you are! Think how you'd feel!
If you squat down and say "Hello" the very least it will do is change their image, and remember a "wagging tail" beats a "bark" when you're playing Dog Poker.

I think the person in the photos was lucky. Never look a strange dog directly in the face. A direct face on approach signals "aggression" to a dog. Think about how dogs approach each other - they sidle around each other approaching from the rear, avoiding eye contact.
I've had to walk past aggressive dogs (in France) and not had any trouble by looking away from them, rather than at them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the person in the photos was lucky. Never look a strange dog directly in the face. .

I think the person in those photos loves dogs, and the dogs know that. She is my wife, and has charmed hundreds of dogs into giving her a kiss, and has never once been so much as growled at.

Dogs just want some approval. Read the posts here, and guess who will get a kiss, and who they will snap at.

Those aren't dogs. They're ponies.

Big dogs in my experience tend to be sane. The smaller the dog the more likely it'll be dangerous.

Reminds me of Jurassic park. The dangerous little dinosaurs that looked cute.

This friendly looking boy was in Ages in 2012, although he did snap at my friend who put his hand over the gate to pat him on the head.

Martins dog.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dogs just want some approval.

I love dogs, have always had dogs, are never frightened of dogs, have adopted and fostered rescue dogs, but ... Just like people there are dogs whose instinct is to attack, or who are so skittish they snap without warning. We had a lovely border collie who bit two visitors without warning - both of whom bent down to pat him - and both were dog lovers. One of our rescue dogs was a menace until all his teeth were removed (for therapeutic reasons). He still growled, bit and snapped but could no longer inflict damage. We always wondered if he'd been mistreated and that formed his temperament, or abandoned simply because he was so ferocious.
And I don't think the dingo that killed Azaria Chambrrlain was just looking for approval.
Wolves are dogs too.

Wolves are dogs too.

Ah yes, wolves are all vicious. Here's a couple that came howling up to us on the Tran-Canada trail. I will admit, she could not get a kiss from them, but they left on the best of terms after some friendly sniffing.

wolf1.JPG wolves2.JPG

Wycombe, stop in at The Peaceable when you pass through Moratinos. We have SIX dogs, they love pilgrims.
(they make a nice change from dog chow.)

Seriously, all our dogs are camino veterans, and they are great therapy for travelers who miss their pets.

sounds lovely thank you, I have have made a note and put it in my journal ready

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with Falcon, avoid if you can. Years ago (many more than I want to admit to :D ), I was a paperboy. A customer of mine had a Doberman Pinscher which was friendly enough, petted him lots of times. Then one day I reached over to pet him and he bit my hand! No damage done, but you just never know! As far as the Camino goes, all the dogs we met were very friendly, even this "Cujo" looking dog that took a break from his work herding sheep to see if we had any extra food when we stopped for a lunch break along the trail.View attachment 7846

"Cujo looking"??? That IS Cujo - just before he went into make-up for the day's filming. ;)

One look at those eyes though tells you that the only harm he might do is slobber you to death!

Dogs are pretty rubbish when it comes to poker faces and they don't do bottling up emotions. If a dog looks friendly, it is, if it looks wary, it is.

Just react accordingly. If you don't like dogs, then there is no need to ruffle the head and pull on the ears of every one you meet but, by the same token, nor should you think that every one sees your leg as its next meal.

On the whole, dogs are a whole lot more chilled than your average person is. They're unlikely to start a fight with you unless you go looking for one.

My only worry is whether or not they speak English. Just what is Spanish for "you daft mutt"???

Wycombe, stop in at The Peaceable when you pass through Moratinos. We have SIX dogs, they love pilgrims.
(they make a nice change from dog chow.)

Seriously, all our dogs are camino veterans, and they are great therapy for travelers who miss their pets.
Omg I would love to take a break and nuzzle some dogs on my journey! I'm starting from SJPP in August - where exactly on the trail are you? Between which towns? Is it clearly marked? I'm leaving my pup with my sis for the 5 weeks I'll be gone and I already snuggle her more in anticipation of leaving a month from now!
Best,
Claudia

I really felt for this dear old fellow on a cold day in Laguna de Castilla just a few kilometers short of O'Cebreiro. All he wanted to do was lie in the path and warm himself in the sunshine. Every time he tried to do so, some other dogs, who were obviously higher up on the dog ladder, would come barking and growling at him to chase him back into his own yard, which was completely devoid of any sunshine.

Attachments

• Camino 240.jpg
    Camino 240.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.