• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing a combi from Porto cathedral (including tram) to Rates

Rainerbernd

Time of past OR future Camino
On St James ways since 1971
Olá,

some pilgrims want to avoid suburbs and industrial areas leaving Porto. Others want to have a ride with the historical tram Nº 1. Some pilgrims want to go along the coast on their first day. You can do all this in combination.

Starting at the cathedral, go down to the Douro river and turn right to Infante where you can take the old tram Nº 1 http://www.stcp.pt/en/travel/lines/?linha=1 to Passeio Alegre. Then you will have a nice walk along the waterfront to Matosinhos. The water is always on your left. Therefore, no yellow arrows needed. In Matosinhos and after the bridge in Matosinhos ( Ponte Movel ) the way to Angeiras is marked. Also the way from Vila do Conde to Rates. Yellow arrows after the bridge in VdC pointing to the right are leading to Rates.

Something about the stages I suggest doing this combi.
From Porto cathedral to Rates, it´s about 48 km (30 miles) . I suggest the following stages to split the way into halfs:

First stage: Porto cathedral > tram > Matosinhos > Angeiras > 21 km (13.2 miles)
Second stage: Angeiras > Vila do Conde > Rates >
23 km (14.3 miles)

If you don´t want to ride the old tram you can still walk along the Douro river. It´s about 4 km (2.5 miles) more to walk. You can also take bus 500 Matosinhos (Mercado) http://www.stcp.pt/en/travel/lines/?linha=500 from São Bento station or Infante to the mouth of the river. Pilgrims who want to start in Matosinhos should also take bus 500 because of the nice view at the river and the beaches.

In the old days I took the way via Maia > Vilarinho to Rates like other pilgrims using JB´s book. I didn´t like it very much, as well as the way from the cathedral trough the city to Matosinhos. Doing the "new" combi, I hope you will enjoy it. I did it several times with great pleasure.

Please have a look here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZzcPtuFegr609k7bD9iRg
Btw. the blue path line ist sometimes besides the foot path. I presume they used the bike lane.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry, I forgot to mention. Some pilgrims walk along the port wine cellars on the other side of the River Douro (Vila Nova de Gaia). Short after the motorway bridge, Ponte da Arrábida, there is a small ferry for getting to the other side of the river. There you are close to the final stop of the old tram.

Another thing, important to say. In Angeiras you can stay in nice bungalows at Orbitur Camp. With your credential you pay only 9 - 13 €, depending on the equipment of the bungalow. And, if you kindly ask for, you can stay there more than one night!! Some pilgrims do it, especially in summer (June to September) when the swimming pool is open - free for pilgrims. You can get the pilgrim´s fare only at the reception. Please don´t book on any website. You have checked it on Orbitur website or booking.com and got the information all is booked out? - No!!! They have more bungalows, reserved for pilgrims.

To make a reservation send an email with all data to: infoangeiras@orbitur.pt

Last edited:
Thank you for all your information. That is very helpful. Will take your advice on getting out of Porto

Cheers

Anne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back