• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing Arles Route to Santiago but want to stop in Pamplona

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
I am walking from Arles to Santiago but since I want to visit Pamplona should I sidetrack to SJPP or just go to Pamplona from La Reina? I heard the Arles(Aragones) route is better for crossing the Pyrenees? Would appreciate any suggestions?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can just make a short detour from Puente la Reina to Pamplona, no need to go via SJPDP! Just out of curiosity: Why is Pamplona so important to you? Buen Camino! SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You can take a bus from Obanos or Puente la Reina to Pamplona for a couple of Euro.
upload_2015-5-16_16-27-0.png

You can go to Pamplona direct on the Aragones, there is a turn off somewhere which pilgrims take, maybe a 20 km gap or less before you get to Puente la Reina, not sure where it is but some German pilgrims were going to do it and they had done it before on a previous Camino.

You can go to Pamplona direct on the Aragones, there is a turn off somewhere which pilgrims take, maybe a 20 km gap or less before you get to Puente la Reina, not sure where it is but some German pilgrims were going to do it and they had done it before on a previous Camino.
You can turn at Tiebas. However if walking from Tiebas to Pamplona you would miss the mythic/mystic church at Eunate which is on the camino Argonese just east of Puente la Reina.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I'm thinking of walking the Aragones next year and also thought it would be nice to go and have a look at Pamplona because it is a city we hear so much about. I think the idea of taking the bus from Puente la Reina is a good one and that way i will see the church at Eunate. I then plan to walk to Leon and then maybe catch a bus to Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. Buen Camino Judy.

When i walked Arles route i happened to be in Puenta la reina exactly for the festival of san fermin. Caught a bus from puenta la reina (or you could make a day's walk) to pamplona and stayed in a small hotel just by the park and outside of the city center. If you are there for the festival many churches and museums will be closed but besides the few minutes in the morning when folks run with the bulls, the festival is amazing with music, dance and foods from all over Spain. Of course the bulls are running to the arena for the afternoon bullfights (it is amazing how many runners do not understand why or to what the bulls are running). Unless you really want to drink late into the night, get your room outside of the very raucous middle of the city center. The festival is all around and in the park. I want to go back to pamplona to see all that was closed when i was there.

I thought the walk between Pau over the col du somport and into Spain was so beautiful that when i got to spain i got on a bus and returned to urdos to spend a few more days and walk it again.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back