• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing It “Our Way”

PMSLAW

Retired Lawyer
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2013), Portuguese (2018 & 2022)
In 2013 my wife and I went to a movie. It ended up being the most expensive movie we Will ever see, costing us thousands of dollars and worth every penny.

Drawing upon my notes, memories and thousands of pictures I have serialized the experience. Posts will publish each Sunday and Wednesday. Here is a link to the first:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Part Two:
“Friends queried us with concern for our safety. We were often asked if we would be taking self-defense measures with us. Mace was frequently suggested, once a firearm was even recommended…”

Really nicely done. I’ve felt the same as you, that after learning about and walking a camino I can look back over my shoulder and see how life brought me to that point and how things continue to fall into place. My life has been divided in two sections, pre Camino and post Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Part 4:
…”If it can be said that there is one person and one thing responsible for Barcelona’s fame it is the genius of the architect Antoni Gaudi and his magnificent Sagrada Familia Basilica…”

Part 5:
“… we enjoyed vistas of rolling green hills, orchards, terraced vineyards, and villas that appeared hundreds of years old. Sights little changed over two millennia when Julius Caesar’s 10th Legion called this home.”
(Tap the picture for the images and narrative)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
“We were each like separate threads with different languages, cultures, origins, and futures, woven together on that one day to briefly become a unique human tapestry.”
Part 10 of a serialized examination of one couple’s Camino.

Last edited:
“… I encountered a seated pilgrim. He greeted me and we spoke for a few minutes. He had received a recent unfavorable cancer diagnosis. He was walking the Camino to seek God’s blessing and asking for prayers from fellow pilgrims. The kilometers that followed for me were spent in quiet thought for that gentleman.”
Part 11 of a serialized examination of one couple’s Camino.

Last edited:
“…I suspect that my father’s inner child was imprisoned forever that day at his uncle’s grave or worse yet, died with him.
For some of us on the Camino, our pilgrimage presents the opportunity to reacquaint with our inner child. I wish that my father could have found “The Way” to liberate his.”
Part 12 of an examination of one couple’s Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
“…I stood alone at the gate to the abandoned castle, keys in hand. …I entered (and) stood with Sancho’s ghost. Sancho and I were not alone. I provided eyes for the spirits of long forgotten paleo tribal leaders, dead Roman generals, ancient Visigoth chiefs, invisible Moors, and Sancho, all of whom had gazed upon the surrounding plains as I now did…”

“Our Albergue dorm room was shared by 15 other Peregrinos who were in various stages of pre-departure preparation. Motion stopped as Andre’s sadness spread through the room. This became personal for each of us.”

Last edited:
“Pilgrimage is often cast in terms of what one experiences through the senses and what touches one spiritually. I was finding that the Camino was becoming ever richer with personal connections, a path to people. How easy it is for us to make friends as children and how sad that for many adults that gift is lost…

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
“…Shortly after crossing the “border” into La Rioja we encountered an older woman standing in the doorway of her humble cottage. Short, sturdy, and weatherworn, with a smile that radiated a rich inner kindness, she motioned for us to enter.”

Last edited:
“…as he was showering in a stall in the unisex bath he happened to gaze down onto the dark wet polished stone floor. His eyes drew focus on the reflection of a (naked) woman who in turn was gazing at his reflection in the floor from the adjoining shower stall…”

Tap the link for the images and narrative.

Last edited:
“…The Pilgrim, named Hugonell, rejected the sexual advances of a Spanish girl who was staying at the same inn as the young man. Jilted, the girl hid a silver cup among Hugonell’s personal effects and then alerted the local authorities that he was a thief. Hugonell was tried and sentenced to hang…”

(Tap the link for the images and narrative)

Part 20: Faces on the Camino
“Eyes are windows to the Soul” is a phrase that has been variously attributed to a host of poets and philosophers, William Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, Cicero, and St. Mathew among them. But what then if the soul is so overflowing with emotion that the eyes cannot contain it?…”

Last edited:
“Late into the night I was awakened by the yells of a woman. She stood over Christine, on the verge of reaching down to grab her. I leapt to my feet and thrust myself between her and my wife’s bed…”

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
“Our preparations for the Camino had seemed comprehensive, yet discussion of “what if” never touched upon what now confronted us. Maybe it was because it was unthinkable, maybe our lofty thoughts of the adventure flew too high to see the most grounded of possibilities. In any case we had never asked the question, “What if one of us cannot continue?”…

Last edited:
“If there was a point that began my “emotional Camino” it was April 29th when I left Christine behind in Burgos…
…My feet plied the path out of Burgos, but my thoughts and emotions remained firmly anchored at the hotel. I was leaving her only because of her insistence. Or was I? Guilt and self-doubt haunted me… the emotional struggle played out through the day. I took fewer pictures, I spoke with fewer pilgrims, I walked alone.”

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last edited:
“Our meds, especially the prednisone, had given us a boost but the doctor had cautioned us not to be deceived into thinking we were beyond risk for complications. We took his words to heart as our German Camino friend, Kalina, was in hospital being treated for pneumonia.”

Last edited:
“From the beginning of our Camino I found myself looking at my wife with fresh eyes and a deeper appreciation for my good fortune in marriage. May 4th was a day that we focused upon each other while sharing the backdrop of what the city of Sahagun had to offer…”

https://mediationkc.com/2021/09/07/part-27-honeymoon-in-sahagun/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
“Bernard explained that he walked the Camino seeking the intersession of St. James, for relief from an emotional burden that he carried. Over the years, thousands of poverty stricken parents walked hundreds of kilometers with their children seeking Bernard’s aid…”

https://mediationkc.com/2021/09/11/part-28-walking-the-camino-with-a-saint/

“What the Burgos Cathedral was to stone, the Leon Cathedral is to light. Huge expanses of ancient stained glass are suspended in “heaven”. The artistic use of flying buttresses, vaults, and “stretched” columns of stone, conspire to join this world to the next. It is impossible to keep the eye from wandering (and wondering) skyward.”
https://mediationkc.com/2021/09/14/part-29-leon-and-cafe-beret/

“I entered the chapel’s dark and now silent interior. Barely visible in the flickering light of the votive candles was a bent and aged figure seated in one of the ancient choir chairs aligned along one wall. As I approached he made no acknowledgement of my presence other than to slightly move his hand, indicating that I should sit at his side…”

https://mediationkc.com/2021/09/25/part-32-destinations-are-fixed-it-is-the-spirit-that-moves/

“I opened the door of the confessional to a line of little old ladies. Their expressions of near horror hinted at their belief that I must be some kind of an ax murderer, having been in the confessional booth for so long.…”

Note: This is the continuation of Part 32, “Destinations are Fixed, it is the Spirit that Moves.”

https://mediationkc.com/2021/09/29/part-33-a-confession-in-rabanal/

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
“To some… the Cruz de Ferro (“Iron Cross”) is at best a curiosity and at worst an eyesore that spoils an otherwise pristine high mountain vista. It is a house-sized pile of stones sprouting an overlarge telephone pole that is capped with a small iron cross…”

https://mediationkc.com/2021/10/03/part-34-the-cruz-de-ferro/

“…As we wandered through the small town (pop. 600) I happened to see a barbershop. It had been over 6 weeks since my last haircut and I was long overdue. One would not typically consider entering a barbershop a risk endeavor, however the language barrier presented some challenges. Christine remained dubious as we entered the shop…”

https://mediationkc.com/2021/10/10/part-36-a-shortcut-and-a-haircut/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From Dan Mullins, host of “My Camino, the Podcast”:

“Peter Schloss is compiling his Camino journals for his grandchildren and great-grandchildren. They’ll come to know and love the spirit of adventure with which Peter and his wife Christine have lived their lives… You’re going to love this episode.”
(Tap the link for the images and interview)
https://mediationkc.com/2021/10/19/part-38a-my-camino-interview-downunder/

€60,-
“Antonio Bello, was as unusual as his house. The place was a mixture of art gallery, studio, museum, workshop, and spiritual retreat…”

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
“Ionut received a call from Romania that his father was at death’s door suffering the ravages of cancer. At his father’s side, Ionut promised his father that he would someday secure a Paralympic Gold Medal in his honor and memory…”
https://mediationkc.com/2021/11/14/part-45-the-iron-man-of-galicia/

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
“When did our Camino end? Emotionally, as these hundreds of pages attest, it hasn’t. It could be said that our physical Camino ended with our arrival in Santiago… However, part of the experience of our Camino was embracing the broader magic of Spain. That alchemy continued with our return to Barcelona.…”

https://mediationkc.com/2021/12/08/part-52-return-to-barcelona/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back