• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing it her way.

deni

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamploma to Castrojeriz -March 2013
Castrojeriz to Leon - May 3013
Leon to Sarria - October 2013
Sarria to Finisterra - April 2014
St Jean to Finisterra - (July 2016)
We met this elderly American lady on the Camino descending the Perdon outside Pamplona on the 5th of July. She was doing it her way at about 10k a day. She planned to arrive in Santiago today, 14th of September. I hope she made it.

27822-9c472d283f1f13fb40f33ca0b5983682.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
5 kms a day is perfect. Best way to survive in the heat and an inspiration for anyone who takes his dog for a daily walk: if you stop walking in circles, and head in the right direction, you'll arrive in SdC sooner than you think. In my case: within two years. Isn't that amazing?

Lady, I hope you made it and made it well!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Speaking of older women walking 10k a day, I would love to walk the Le Puy route but am concerned about whether I can handle the hills and my solution would be to walk about 10k a day.
You wont regret it... Le Puy to SJpP is amazingly beautiful!!!
;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Speaking of older women walking 10k a day, I would love to walk the Le Puy route but am concerned about whether I can handle the hills and my solution would be to walk about 10k a day.
Define "older"

When I was 7 years old I thought that people in their 60s were ancient... now... :p

Once you begin you'll be amazed at what you can achieve ;)

Last edited:
@lbpierce nothing on the Le Puy is as difficult as SJPDP to Roncesvalles. If you have walked that you can easily walk the Le Puy.

That could be difficult unless you carry a tent and your own food. Villagers are often a longer distance apart, and not all villagers have accommodation or food. The Le Puy route is beautiful but a lot different to the Frances.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all for your encouraging responses. Knowing that Le Puy is not more difficult than SJPDP to Roncesvalles is great news - thanks @Kanga. My approach to growing older (and yes, @Wokabaut_Meri, "older" is a relative term) is to never stop. I was a runner for 15 years, then have been a hiker for the last 25 years and hope to continue hiking the Camino each year for many years.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Walking slowly... an amazing and very rich experience to try at any age! So easy to do physically, so hard to accept mentally, so loved by the soul!

@lbpierce
The start of Le Puy route is a little tough, because it's in the mountain. There are some steep slopes up and down: not as long as SJPdP-Roncevalles, but pretty frequent on the first ~200km. It really isn't flat, but it's still perfectly doable!
It's also quite easy to do short stages, even around 10km if you want: reservation may be wise then. No need to carry a tent or loads of food, unless you want to sleep outside and invite people. Lots of places to stay at and most of the time, possibility to have dinner and/or breakfast. I'd advise you to get a Miam Miam Dodo book to make your planning easier (in French only but great list of accommodations and services, easy enough to understand). Also, be aware that prices are more expensive in France than in Spain.
To summ up, the trick would be 1. to know and listen to yourself; 2. to look up, prepare and organize your Way a little. I'd say, you seem to be perfectly on it! ;) Le Puy route is a beautiful Way, you'll surly love it! :)

full

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back