• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the Backstroke on the CF

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
SJPP to SdC, 2023
CF, 2024
Hi All!
First, thank you all SO MUCH! Your comments around my former post about being paranoid have given me a boost.....just in time too, as I now have read the weather report for the first 10 days (all I can get right now) from SJPP right through to Pamploma, Burgos, and Lorgrono(?)....
....RAIN, RAIN, RAIN.....with an occasional lightening strike to liven things up.
Most of the posts speak of an occasional day of rain, but it is looking like the Camino is serving up a very challenging sojourn for @Gmangirl and myself!
If you have ANY suggestions that would be sooo welcomed!
I did prep in snow and a bit of rain, Imelda not so much, but we have chosen umbrellas and ponchos that seem up to the Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Not much you can do to avoid it. Do consult the staff at the Pilgrim office about recommendations about Route Nepoleon vs Valcarlos. Probably won't be great views and going down on the other side of the Nepoleon can be treacherous depending on which way you take.

Otherwise, keep your poncho near and buen Camino!

If you plan to start in Pamplona then just don your poncho and embrace the weather.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just make sure you have a rain jacket/backpack cover or a poncho. But yes - an umbrella that attaches to your pack so it doesn't have to be carried is good too! I walk in shorts in the rain - so I don't worry about rain pants. And make sure you have dry socks to change in to. If you are expecting a lot of rain - might be worth the weight of an extra pair or two of socks.

I wouldn't stress too much about the weather report. Even when it looked like it was going to rain all the time for many days - there were usually breaks in the rain when I walked. But when I did get sick of all the rain - for me - that is when the "Camino magic" happened! I was desperate to get out of the rain and found a cute little bar and an albergue right next door - and the bar owner looked out for me, even having his wife make me a private pilgrim's meal when the restaurant upstairs was not even open.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
BTW, I crossed last Sunday and Monday and it was cloudy but with pretty good visibility until we got to Orisson, then the skies opened up. There was thunder and some hail. But most of that part of the trail is on a paved road. There's a bit that's a dirt path. It's very steep - the steepest climb for the entire Francés.

Here's a pic from day 1

20230514_100447.jpg

Last edited:
Did you know rain on the Camino is different than in your home town? How so? It's so much sweeter. Embrace it with a wind/rain jacket, a poncho to cover your pack and a smile knowing you are being washed by the magic that is Camino. Keep your eye on the prize; a nice hot cafe con leche is awaiting you in the next village. Or a cold beer if that's your thing.
Buen Camino! :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There’s nothing worse than finding that your rain gear (poncho/pack cover) wasn’t up to the task of keeping the contents of your pack dry. I use a trash compactor bag (perfect size, less likely to tear than a regular trash bag) to hold all my belongings inside my pack. It only took one experience of having everything in my pack wet from rain to convince me this is the way to go. Hope the sun shines brightly for you and all these bits of advice aren’t needed. 😊

Hi All!
First, thank you all SO MUCH! Your comments around my former post about being paranoid have given me a boost.....just in time too, as I now have read the weather report for the first 10 days (all I can get right now) from SJPP right through to Pamploma, Burgos, and Lorgrono(?)....
....RAIN, RAIN, RAIN.....with an occasional lightening strike to liven things up.
Most of the posts speak of an occasional day of rain, but it is looking like the Camino is serving up a very challenging sojourn for @Gmangirl and myself!
I did prep in snow and a bit of rain, Imelda not so much, but we have chosen umbrellas and ponchos that seem up to the Camino!
Hi! What type of umbrella did you opt for - is it a special travel umbrella?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you take the Napoleon route from St. Jean and the trail is wet, recommend the alternate route from Alto de Lepoeder into Roncesvalles. The main trail on this section and is very steep, slippery and challenging when it's wet. Buen Camino!
I have not walked the steep main trail my self, but when I did it the Pilgrim office recommended the "alternate" route to everybody. It was a lovely path, and I understood that many found the main one quite challenging after the uphill before. I think the alternate only ads a couple of kilometers but I did not find that a problem.

It is best to practice at home walking in your rain gear, so you can gain experience and make improvement to your rain gear. Don't wait until Spain to try out your rain gear!

-Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There’s nothing worse than finding that your rain gear (poncho/pack cover) wasn’t up to the task of keeping the contents of your pack dry. I use a trash compactor bag (perfect size, less likely to tear than a regular trash bag) to hold all my belongings inside my pack. It only took one experience of having everything in my pack wet from rain to convince me this is the way to go. Hope the sun shines brightly for you and all these bits of advice aren’t needed. 😊
I have a big ole poncho that has worked...but glad I have someone helping get the thing over the backpack...never quite sorted that little item out..lol..got caught once outside and with the wind and snow, and ice pellets, I was pretty beat up. My gear did stay dry with the cover I had on the pack helping more that day than the poncho...

I have not walked the steep main trail my self, but when I did it the Pilgrim office recommended the "alternate" route to everybody. It was a lovely path, and I understood that many found the main one quite challenging after the uphill before. I think the alternate only ads a couple of kilometers but I did not find that a problem.
I've walked the Napoleon route 4 times now, and have always taken the "safe" path to the right. I don't want my Camino to end on the first or second day!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All!

I've walked the Napoleon route 4 times now, and have always taken the "safe" path to the right. I don't want my Camino to end on the first or second day!
Agreed! Having walked both paths from Lepoeder into Roncesvalles I believe they should switch the "alternate" path for the "main" path. Safer and not so difficult at the end of the day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi All!
In my experience weather forecasts are more accurate for the near future, and much less for long range.
In 3 walks now, I've only encountered all day non-stop rain twice.
Most of the time there are periods of time in between showers when its fine.
In Sept 2016 when it was a heatwave it forecast (and I longed for ) rain for a week, and it never actually eventuated until after I had acclimatised to the heat.
Just make sure you have wet weather gear, you protect the contents of your pack, and be zen about it.
After all, you cant control the weather.
Just concentrate of getting your stuff dry at the end of the day.

Hi All!
My opinion about weather , is they can’t tell much till 3 days out. Especially when the coast is so close . Don’t let the news make you paranoid. I have walked the CF nearly a dozen times and luckily had maybe 5 days of rain . If it’s raining when you get up , take a rest day and see the sites . If rain starts during the day , keep going and hope for the best . Be positive and bring a poncho , and look for a cozy cafe for an hour or two .

Don't worry too much, I walked through three days of non-stop torrential rain in 2014 and survived. It's only water, after all. I second the above suggestions to use an umbrella, and to put everything into trash bags inside your pack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's not just you that needs to keep dry, it's your stuff as well. Don't trust pack covers or ponchos to keep the rain off your spare clothes, put them in a drysac or sacs. Trash bags also work and are a lot cheaper but they make an unpleasant rustling sound, especially when packing up early in the morning.

just in time too, as I now have read the weather report for the first 10 days (all I can get right now) from SJPP right through to Pamploma, Burgos, and Lorgrono(?)....
@TorontoGMan, it's good to know that you are preparing yourself for deluge-like conditions and that you are properly equipped but frankly I am baffled as to where you found such a weather forecast.

I had a look for the next few days for the mountain pass of the Route Napoleon for Friday to Sunday 26-28 May. The current predictability is "medium" which means "accurate in parts but deviations are to be expected. Check later". No rain during most of the day and only thunderstorms at 6 pm with a probability that varies between 45% and 55% - so it could be and it could not be, and by that time you ought to be in Roncesvalles anyway. Only tomorrow, Thursday 25 May, there is a probability of 30% for rain at 9 am and 45% for rain at 9 pm on the pass at the highest altitude of the Route Napoleon. Again, could be or not and in any case, the expected quantity of water measured in mm is quite small.

BTW, my weather app has a "multi-model" option where you can have a look at the modelling of 17 leading weather forecasting systems and you can see where they converge and where they deviate.

So Buen Camino and don't come back telling us that "the weather forecast got it all wrong". :cool:

One thing you can always be sure of.....There will be weather. Just remember, it's always sunny above the clouds 😃 and it's joyful to embrace whatever the experience & radiate sunny smiles, especially when it's pouring rain. Sometimes these days are the most memorable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No A, it's a massive golf umbrella. I can kinda lodge it into the side pocket and it will cover all the pelegrinos from SJPP to Roncevalles!
I assume you are joking. If not, Bear in mind a golf umbrella will not be allowed in carry-on luggage so will have to be checked. And will likely add 20% to the weight of what you are carrying.

@TorontoGMan, just for fun I had another look at my weather app for the coming days on the Route Napoleon. For Friday 26 May, the predictability has become high, i.e. likely to be accurate overall for the Route Napoleon mountain pass and there is a new piece of information that I don’t wish to withhold 😇. Quote:

Overall a fair bit of clouds but partly sunny. The forecast has a moderate, 40% chance of precipitation [around 3 pm]. Temperatures as high as 17 °C are foreseen. The UV-Index climbs up to 7, don't forget to use sunscreen when spending the day outside.
You did not forget to pack sunscreen, did you? :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@TorontoGMan, just for fun I had another look at my weather app for the coming days on the Route Napoleon. For Friday 26 May, the predictability has become high, i.e. likely to be accurate overall for the Route Napoleon mountain pass and there is a new piece of information that I don’t wish to withhold 😇. Quote:

Overall a fair bit of clouds but partly sunny. The forecast has a moderate, 40% chance of precipitation [around 3 pm]. Temperatures as high as 17 °C are foreseen. The UV-Index climbs up to 7, don't forget to use sunscreen when spending the day outside.
You did not forget to pack sunscreen, did you? :cool:
Clearly you KNOW men! You know I didn't....lol
Hopefully we can pick some up?
Thanks so much for the weather reports, as it gives us hope of a sunburn instead of a lesson in backstroke!

I assume you are joking. If not, Bear in mind a golf umbrella will not be allowed in carry-on luggage so will have to be checked. And will likely add 20% to the weight of what you are carrying.
Most of the time umbrellas are permitted in carry on. Just have to check to see if there are size restrictions. I have had no issues with 25 inch hiking umbrellas. They make some really light weight hiking umbrellas, many with good SPF ratings, and you can use hands free attachments for your backpack so you do to have to carry them.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.png
    IMG_0173.png
    682.3 KB · Views: 5
Hopefully we can pick some [sunscreen] up?
The Boutique du Pèlerin on the main street for pilgrims in SJPP, open 7 days a week from 7 am to 7 pm, has everything that the peregrino's heart desires and then some. You can't miss this shop when you are on your way to Spain or merely on your way to the Pilgrim Office. Buen Camino!

PS: Just saw on the EN version of their website that they carry a product called "Attempted". Erm ... 😵‍💫. Then a quick look at the original FR version. Ah, there it says tentes ... that would be tents then. ☺️

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year in early September there was some rain forecast while I was in Sarria. We bought 3 Euro umbrellas from the China store there, used them one day and simply disposed of it not wanting to carry even the 12 ounces or so. I got to Bayonne this year on May 20 and it sprinkled a bit. In SJPDP for two days and threatening both days but only an almost imperceptible sprinkle. On the morning of the 24th Orisson was socked with heavy mist and clouds and like every other Camino Frances I have done, I never got the panoramic view walking up to the pass, and it rained ever so lightly for just a bit in Roncevalles. It was threatening rain from Roncevalles to Espinal yesterday but never materialized. Today from Espinal to Zubiri again threatening early but actually a few rays of sunshine. For most of those days Accuweather was predicting rain. Now rain predicted for another week or so. So, if past is prologue, it will threaten but may not be that significant. It has definitely been gloomy. I’m in the camp that would prefer hot days to cool and wet.

The bag-in-bag method, using various sizes of double zip lock bags work well for us, and help keep things dry in the shower. Also had great luck with discarded umbrellas in that they breath. Then again, I've seen several people looking very comfortable in T-shirt and shorts under an Altus poncho. :)

It's not just you that needs to keep dry, it's your stuff as well. Don't trust pack covers or ponchos to keep the rain off your spare clothes, put them in a drysac or sacs. Trash bags also work and are a lot cheaper but they make an unpleasant rustling sound, especially when packing up early in the morning.
I like ziplock bags which don't rustle and are transparent.

Hi All!
Make days shorter and make accommodation cozy
Pick where there are a few watering holes
Start like an old man and finish as a young one
Don't reverse it.
And treat yourself to a few luxuries ......there is still a month ahead ....in the sun
Enjoy

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.