• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the Camino Frances with Fibromyalgia

Jimliz83

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino start 23.4.2020
Hi ill be doing the Camino at the end of April through May 2020 with my wife, I suffer from Fibromyalgia and was wondering if anyone else has done it with the same illness? Any info on how they deal with it, sleeping walking on the way and how they have coped would be helpfull, iv done the west highland way twice in 4 years but i struggled near the end last year i put this down to the weather wet boots and socks. But looking back it may have been more to do with pushing on when i should have rested.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sorry to hear of your ailment, Jim. I've known a few people who share the same syndrome. You are a trooper and with your attitude you will most likely be able to cross the finish line...don't give up!
Wish you well!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go for it! I have only done very short versions twice: once from O Cebreiro and once from just after Sarria. Fibro varies a lot from person to person, of course, and flare up triggers vary a lot too... but I admit walking was easier than dealing with the fibro at work and 'normal' daily life in a busy big city. I carried only basics, as pretty much everyone does (sleeping bag, change of clothes, small towel, light flip flops), and managed the weight ok. Some days were better than others and sleeping in albergues did not make for the most restful nights but then, I often have poor rest in my own comfy bed at home anyway. Pacing yourself as much as you can, not pushing too much beyond what you think is reasonable for your body and other usual coping strategies for the condition will hopefully get you through. Best of luck!

Go for it! I have only done very short versions twice: once from O Cebreiro and once from just after Sarria. Fibro varies a lot from person to person, of course, and flare up triggers vary a lot too... but I admit walking was easier than dealing with the fibro at work and 'normal' daily life in a busy big city. I carried only basics, as pretty much everyone does (sleeping bag, change of clothes, small towel, light flip flops), and managed the weight ok. Some days were better than others and sleeping in albergues did not make for the most restful nights but then, I often have poor rest in my own comfy bed at home anyway. Pacing yourself as much as you can, not pushing too much beyond what you think is reasonable for your body and other usual coping strategies for the condition will hopefully get you through. Best of luck!
Thanks for the advice JAMM, yes i only intend to carry the basic needs as you said, i also find it a bit easier out walking than in work etc. Hopefully if i don't push to hard ill be fine i to don't always get a good sleep in my own bed at times never mind in albergue, I'm more concerned about waking others up if i find i need to get up etc, ill see how this goes and maybe if needed i will try and get a private room when i can thank you.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the advice JAMM, yes i only intend to carry the basic needs as you said, i also find it a bit easier out walking than in work etc. Hopefully if i don't push to hard ill be fine i to don't always get a good sleep in my own bed at times never mind in albergue, I'm more concerned about waking others up if i find i need to get up etc, ill see how this goes and maybe if needed i will try and get a private room when i can thank you.

People have to get up in the middle of the night for all sorts of reasons so please do not worry about it; just be as quiet and as considerate as you possibly can and nobody will ask for more. Albergues are inevitably noisy places. In terms of the overall journey, look after yourself, hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. Enjoy your planning!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back