• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the Camino in style

Ujala

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2017)
Hello all! I am planning my first Camino this summer and I hope my question does not come across thr wrong way.

While I have a personal, spiritual reason for walking the Camino, I can't set aside the fact that I am a style blogger and a bit of a fashionista and maintaining a certain level of 'style' (if you will) is a part of who I am.

Any advice from the experienced ladies on the forum in how they managed and what they carried in terms of clothing apart from hiking wear?

I am planning to keep open the option of spending a couple of days at various places along the way if I feel like it, and the thought of nothing to wear besides hiking stuff is a bit dismal ...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I take great pride in my style, which has been called "urban utilitarian." That may be the most flattering description possible, but slightly misleading as it is no more urban than rural. (It is, however, unmistakably utilitarian.) Even so, I do not recommend myself as a model for any fashionista!!!

A couple of our forum members come to mind as women who probably always look well-put-together. @nidarosa has a packing list here, and @Magwood has one here. Then we have those members with distinctive styles - @Kanga and @Viranani! Have fun! But do NOT carry more than 6 kg plus water. (Unless, of course, you want to.)

Edited to add: We mustn't forget @trecile with her self-made merino dresses!

Last edited:
Here in France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées in autumn and winter, and multitudes wear designer backpacks. Attitude is all.

My first camino reinforced basic priorities the hard way. In Villadangos del Paramo glanced in a mirror one morning my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 km later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement!
An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes with a vivid black and blue shiner. Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all these years and 10 caminos clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would suggest avoiding matching fuchia lipstick to spandex shorts. Yes, I have seen it done!

Would the new narrow Macabi with EVA Birkies Madrid (saw new colours last week!) do it?

Honnestly, I have seen manyeye balls rolling in the back of the head when a rasor was used for legs in Deba. And the owners of those eyes were not very sympathetic to the creshly shabed woman afterwards when she insisted everyone be quiet as she wanted to napping.

On my 1st camino I brought a best that matched my walking skirts, so i would have something for a few extra days in Madrid. Needless to say, neier tbe skirts (with sewing in shorts) nor the vest ever saw the light of day, on the Camino (could not be bothered) nor in Madrid (my feet hurt, how could I be bothered, and frankly I would have loked just as out of place in them than I need in walking pants and T).

I now embrace my Camino look for what it is: light and quick drying. In fact, I now wear it when I take the dogs out for a walk and cannot help but think how embarrassed my Spanish abuelita would be. Especially those teal Ultra GTX 2 Salomons! ;0)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
maintaining a certain level of 'style' (if you will) is a part of who I am
I probably have no business here because I am the antithesis of chic.
But I can't help but ask an existential question that the camino may ask you at some point along the way:
Who would you be without that? (Hint~ more than you can imagine, not less! )
In the meantime...there is always elegant and natural simplicity. And matching socks are a good idea.;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all! I am planning my first Camino this summer and I hope my question does not come across thr wrong way.

While I have a personal, spiritual reason for walking the Camino, I can't set aside the fact that I am a style blogger and a bit of a fashionista and maintaining a certain level of 'style' (if you will) is a part of who I am.

Any advice from the experienced ladies on the forum in how they managed and what they carried in terms of clothing apart from hiking wear?

I am planning to keep open the option of spending a couple of days at various places along the way if I feel like it, and the thought of nothing to wear besides hiking stuff is a bit dismal ...

I usually wear black on bottom, and turquoise blue on top. I am a minimalist with what I bring, but I always bring at least three pair of earrings so I can mix things up. They are usually dangly but inexpensive.

A silk scarf with lots of different colors in it will do a lot for your hiking wear ;)

And matching socks....

There is a belgian lady / blogster that writes ( tongue in cheek ) about her Camino . Only in Dutch and I did not read it.
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/pelgrimstocht-op-hoge-hakken/1001004011517969/?country=BE

On a good day : I can even manage matching socks. ;)
In daily life I go for urban/casual ...hmm don't even know how to describe it....
On a Camino : my fluogreen T-shirt and not so matching red rainjacket are lightweight and rainproof. And they were on sale ;)

But like @CaminoDebrita I like a colourful scarf ( unless I drop one like on the Ingles. So if someone finds it somewhere in the woods after Bar Julia on the way to Bruma : my gift to you ).

No seriously @Ujala , you will be surprised how little you need. And I do think that a simple black walkingtrouser and matching black T-shirt combined with a nice scarf can go a long way.
And secondly : when I stayed an extra day in a town, I took a hostal / hotel and seldom left the room : I was so in awe with having a bathtub that I took advantage of that!

So Buen Camino and Ultreïa with all your plans!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all these years and 10 caminos clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

I am not sure if it is as much pride, as is simply the way I am. I dare say that the Camino will be a chance to explore the other side! I have a hard time imagining matchig socks being the height of chic, but at the same time also kind of excited by the prospect!

I would suggest avoiding matching fuchia lipstick to spandex shorts. Yes, I have seen it done!
On my 1st camino I brought a best that matched my walking skirts, so i would have something for a few extra days in Madrid. Needless to say, neier tbe skirts (with sewing in shorts) nor the vest ever saw the light of day, on the Camino (could not be bothered) nor in Madrid (my feet hurt, how could I be bothered, and frankly I would have loked just as out of place in them than I need in walking pants and T).

I now embrace my Camino look for what it is: light and quick drying.

Thanks so much for the advice! I promise not to make the lipstick faux pas

The more I hear from you guys, the more I am convinced that two pairs hiking short and two quick dry tops are all I need

A rayon top or rayon dress with leggings? You can roll up rayon really small and it shouldn't wrinkle too badly.

I am pretty sure I will end up taking at least one 'pretty' item to feel like a girl at the end of the day

I can't help but ask an existential question that the camino may ask you at some point along the way:
Who would you be without that? (Hint~ more than you can imagine, not less! )
In the meantime...there is always elegant and natural simplicity. And matching socks are a good idea.;)

I want an answer to that question myself! I never go anywhere without my full makeup kit, so The Walk will be quite an experience ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

This summer in Samos (Camino Frances) we met an Englishman wearing an exceptionally well-ironed shirt! It turned out that he had many more, in a big suitcase. Which was transported all the way by a minibus. His ambition was to be the best-dressed pilgrim on the Camino.

you will be surprised how little you need. And I do think that a simple black walkingtrouser and matching black T-shirt combined with a nice scarf can go a long way.
And secondly : when I stayed an extra day in a town, I took a hostal / hotel and seldom left the room : I was so in awe with having a bathtub that I took advantage of that!

So Buen Camino and Ultreïa with all your plans!

Thanks! I think all black and a scarf sounds very doable.

Did you stay back in towns for an extra day quite a bit? Were you worried about it adding too many extra days to the length of your trip?!

This summer in Samos (Camino Frances) we met an Englishman wearing an exceptionally well-ironed shirt! It turned out that he had many more, in a big suitcase. Which was transported all the way by a minibus. His ambition was to be the best-dressed pilgrim on the Camino.

Well .. I'm not THAT ambitious

The only thing I want to be is myself and that might need some adjustment on the Camino from what the good folk on this forum have advised me so far.

I did consider the idea of having part of my baggage transported (read: good clothes, my makeup, some light jewelry and other luxuries) but only very briefly.

I am more inclined towards walking the whole 800kms and carrying everything I need on me at all times and all the way. it would be interesting for me to see how i deal with that

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@C clearly - thank you for your faith in my well-put-togetherness ... @Ujala I actually started wearing skirts and dresses because it is more practical and comfortable, not because of the style, but it does give you more options style wise, I suppose. Even the dress+cardi combo is a purely practical choice; I can sleep in the dress if it is too cold and the cardi is a spare layer which is always clean and dry at the end of the day as I never use it for walking. As the others have said, a colourful scarf brightens up your outfit and also your mood, plus it is practical. I suggest you use your fashion blogger savvy to pick your (minimalist and practical) walking wardrobe and once on the camino just stop thinking about it - two sets of clothes will be enough. Makeup is very unpractical on the camino, as you'll get sweaty and it will run, best just go without. It might take some getting used to but it is very liberating!

Here in France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées in autumn and winter, and multitudes wear designer backpacks. Attitude is all.

My first camino reinforced basic priorities the hard way. In Villadangos del Paramo glanced in a mirror one morning my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 km later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement!
An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes with a vivid black and blue shiner. Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Ujala,

Until about 5 years ago, Edmund Capon was the director of the Art Gallery Of New South Wales here in Sydney. He had been director for about 33 years. In that time he built and expanded the AGNSW into an internationally respected institution. I've seen many great international shows there. They now have a very impressive collection of Australian Aboriginal art. Capon championed Asian art and gathered a large collection (mainly Chinese) over many years.

He became famous for a stylish quirk - he wore brightly coloured mismatched socks every day. They sold pairs of mismatched solid coloured socks in the AGNSW gift shop for many years. I bought two pair for my granddaughter when she was little. I was careful not to buy two identical pairs so she couldn't cheat and make two matching sets.

Why not plan on adding local items to your wardrobe along your Camino? You never know what you'll find. You never know what you'll become.

Buen Camino, - Mike

I join @Viranani for the antithesis of chic (as sophisticated) and for matching sock.
AH, and mostly for the "elegant and natural simplicity" advice! :)
I often walk with skirts, dress with sarongs (lots of variations here!), have my few "normal" jewelry and a hairgrip, sometimes take an eyeliner and a mascara.

Try to bring style-gears that have at least 2 functions. I especially think of pareos/sarongs (to dress during and after the day, protect head from sun, make shadow, keep warmer, cover during the night, sit on, dry up... etc. I have 2-3 when I travel) and of coconut oil (hair, body, washing mouth, cooking...).
I think you really don't want to carry your whole makeup kit... Wise selection and priority to 2-in-1 makeup stuff should help reducing the quantity and weight.
A detail, but clothes also suffer under the sun. My clothes shade more and more as I get closer to Santiago. I see it especially with black...
Note also that there are towns and big cities along the Camino. Various potential style and beauty stops on the way! ;)
I think it will be an interesting experience :) What about sharing your blog address so we know how it goes?
Buen stylish preps!

full

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks! I think all black and a scarf sounds very doable.

Did you stay back in towns for an extra day quite a bit? Were you worried about it adding too many extra days to the length of your trip?!

No I walked every day but made short days when walking into a bigger town like Burgos , Logroño or Leon and chose an hostal/ hotel. Especially in Logroño because of the splendid tapasbars.
I like to stay in the " walking flow " and move on the next day. But no, I was not worried to add extra days because I was very lucky to have a sabbatical of three months at work.

I do like to stay two or three days though in Santiago just to unwind and relax a bit before heading home.

I'm a big fan of spanish shoebrands so when in Santiago I go shoehunting and put those practical but ugly Crocs in my backpack :). There is also a particular spanish clothes brand that I like and when I find something nice in their collection I will buy it.

Last edited:
My main concern was keeping my backpack as light as possible, so I brought no extras. I hiked in skirts 1 long (Macabi) and 1 short (purple rain). Nobody could call Macabi stylish or even attractive, but it sure is functional. The Purple Rain skirt is actually cute, with big functional pockets. To me what really works is give a lot of thought to color, because when you are wearing the same thing day after day it is important to have something that looks good on you. Also, a scarf -- brightens up whatever. Buen Camino, and don't overthink the clothes!

My main concern was keeping my backpack as light as possible, so I brought no extras. I hiked in skirts 1 long (Macabi) and 1 short (purple rain). Nobody could call Macabi stylish or even attractive, but it sure is functional. The Purple Rain skirt is actually cute, with big functional pockets. To me what really works is give a lot of thought to color, because when you are wearing the same thing day after day it is important to have something that looks good on you. Also, a scarf -- brightens up whatever. Buen Camino, and don't overthink the clothes!

The macabi skirt looks interesting! i just googled it. wondering now if harrm pants might be a better option than regular pants

Did it ever pose a problem walking in a skirt for so long?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
. But no, I was not worried to add extra days because I was very lucky to have a sabbatical of three months at work.

I do like to stay two or three days though in Santiago just to unwind and relax a bit before heading home.

I have about 50 days to play with, and from what I have gathered 30-35 are enough to walk the length. I've been thinking of using the extra days to stay back in the places that attract me, not just to absorb, but also to catch up on writing/photography/blogging. Is it true that albergues wont let you stay more than a single night?

I have about 50 days to play with, and from what I have gathered 30-35 are enough to walk the length. I've been thinking of using the extra days to stay back in the places that attract me, not just to absorb, but also to catch up on writing/photography/blogging. Is it true that albergues wont let you stay more than a single night?

Yes this is true, especially at the municipales , Xunta ones and the parroquial albergues. Private albergues don't mind , I think? Hope some other posters can confirm. Think there are also exceptions when one is ill.

It depends on the albergue. Also if you need to rest/heal, I believe that most albergues will allow you stay until you are ready to go on. Big cities usually have more more than one albergue open, so you can go from one to another for a few nights.

Sadly (although it is probably a bonus on camino) I cannot claim to be a fashionista, but I do like to think I have a certain age-appropriate style. I have always taken a skirt for evening wear which can be teamed with plain black leggings in colder weather. it is so good to get out of trousers or shorts at the end of a long walk. And a bright but cosy cardigan and coordinating scarf. I also have a couple of vest tops so I can work on those Tshirt sun tan lines when the weather allows. I also had a ultra lightweight down jacket (for relaxing, not for walking) and a pair of lightweight cargo pants.

The photo below shows the relaxing wear for my 2016 camino which worked well for me and I received a few appreciative (and even envious) comments from women who only had their walking gear to wear in the evenings. All items are listed in my packing list, including weights.

Whatever you wear, no-one will really notice - it's not important - other than being lightweight and comfortable, and most of it ideally dual use.

IMG_3173.JPG

Walking with a slirt may require biking/compression shorts underneeth to avoid "chubrub".

Macabis are great because of their pockets, material (super light, dries quickly and does not show dirt) and because you can wear them long or short, or pant-like). The regular model has too much fabric:I took off 16 inches off the side hems to mine and I could still wear it short! I would suggest the new slim model.

Also, wearing it long is good during the day as it will not only protect you from the sun but from cuts from bushes on your legs. This being said, I still prefer walking in pants and wear the Macabi at night: even if still damp from your shower you can throw it on and finish drying in it.

As to looking stylish, the truth is that it is so important to bring clothes are are good/suit you technically (right shoe fit, right pant fit) including weight and how fast they dry that picking a colour often is not possible. In the end you end up,with the teal backpack, fuschia tshirt, red socks and beige pants, not forgetting the high visibilty yellow hat or buff.... It can make you wish you were colour blind ;0).

And hair and make up: after you see the state of some bathrooms after all are showered and teeth are brushed, you may not be very inclined to put your Hypnose mascara or Buxom plumping lipgloss those wet counter tops.... Yuck!

On the trail I wore either hiking pants or a hiking skort. My hiking pants were nicely fitted but when I started losing weight on the trail, I had to buy a belt to keep them from looking to baggy. The skort was black and in the evenings I often wore it with some black Ahnu flats (very lightweight) and a black, stretchy knit top. I packed a colorful scarf to finish off the outfit. When the weather got cooler, I bought a pair of leggings to wear underneath the skort and I had an Athleta jacket that doubled for day and night use. Except for my scarf I pretty much stuck to gray and black clothing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The macabi skirt looks interesting! i just googled it. wondering now if harrm pants might be a better option than regular pants

Not a bit -- I got a short length which for me was just above my ankles. Also it is possible to snap the skirt up which I only did a couple of times. One advantage is that if you need to pee you can do so modestly.

Well .. I'm not THAT ambitious
I am more inclined towards walking the whole 800kms and carrying everything I need on me at all times and all the way. it would be interesting for me to see how i deal with that
It's called freedom! Ujala, you will have a wonderful exploration, from the sound of it! What a great attitude.

I walk in a skirt all the time and totally love it. There's freedom of movement, it's cooler in hot weather, and unexpected pit stops so much easier and more modest.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@C clearly Oh dear, is that a facepalm she is doing? :D
I once met a peregrina who couldn't decide which perfume to take, so she took two, both fairly large glass bottles. She kept the smaller one and sent a box with 5 kgs of excess toiletries and evening finery home on day two. Another time I met a young peregrina who had read that cotton takes ages to dry so instead of avoiding it she brought five pairs of jeans to always have a clean and dry pair! She also sent a parcel home and left a lot in the donation box at the albergue.
I think most of us want to try to look our best, especially in a new and unknown situation, and that sticking with what we are used to becomes a way to cope and feel more comfortable. Until we get comfortable on the road and the extras stop being worth the weight, then they tend to disappear. And what a relief that is!
My kit is lighter, more practical and dual purpose now than on my first or second walk, but it is also more colour coordinated - because given the choice I pick things that are pleasing to my eye rather than ones that are not, and because what I find pleasing to the eye is pretty consistent. I wear a lot of black, grey, pink and purple at home too, and in fact the line between camino gear and everyday wear is getting more and more blurred ... apart from one thing; on the camino I don't wear makeup.

With the excelent service of PAQ MOCHILA that gives CORREOS Post service, you are not limited to the weight you can carry when you walk. You can take a set of style dressing and feel ok. I always take a jeans and a nice shirt for a city walk.
You see, not only women are coquette.
Buen Camino, fair lady!

@Ujala
Anyone who has seen me on Camino knows that I am the last one to consider style. In particular, my bright pink lightweight evening shoes do not go with any garments that I take on Camino. On my first Camino, I took two scarves to brighten up my evening wear and for possible extra warmth. I didn't use them, so I left them behind on my second Camino. I took one pair of earrings on my first Camino, wore them a few times, and lost one about halfway through. On my second Camino, I took one pair of earrings, put them aside to wear in Santiago after my Camino, and lost one about halfway through. I shall be leaving behind my pink shoes on my next Camino. They are very comfortable, but I can carry evening wear sandals for half the weight. I carry a long skirt, which I wear every evening and can warm up with merino tights. That will stay for my next Camino, but who knows after that? I am gradually learning that nothing matters but weight and function. Buy a good pack and suitable footwear and sleeping gear then consider what else you need and are willing to carry. This might be an entirely new focus for your style blog. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very interesting topic better suited for peregrines but I'll add my 2 cents anyway.

You are going to walk through several cultural areas and meet people from numerous cultural regions of the world. I don't know a thing about fashion outside of what has been labeled as hiking wear however there are markets and shops that offer all kinds of accessories and clothing. You might prefer to keep an eye on fellow pilgrims and said markets and shops for inspiration.
You may end up setting trends when you get back home.
I ended up buying a pair of , um, well the nearest description I can give is male harem pants. When I returned home my 19 year old daughter claimed them!

Cheers
Jim

€46,-
Even though i do admit: I did not encounter another peregrina wearing pearl-earrings and lipstick - but i simply don't do frumpy well nor that fashionista-schtick.

And style, as beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder, no? for some it's stylish to wear a t-shirt without holes and another person wouldn't leave the house without latest 'must have whatever' from one of their favorite designer/s.

So - I also had with me a large silk/wool shawl that doubles as a nighty if need be, or pillow-case (not at the same time of course) - a wrap, etc.
ah - also wore an indigo straw hat (w/ rim) -
one can be 'in style' without adding 2 kilos to the backpack - or even just half a kilo.

also had a black skirt (stretchy fabric , but not pure plastic either, some mix or other) that also worked well as a nighty or over my walking pants on a cold morning (again, not at the same time of course :)
and i could change into the skirt if i fancied a li'l walk-about in town or village after i booked myself into the place for the night.
very best wishes for a marvelous camino - linger and enjoy - be present in every moment - and know that the inner style will always shine and radiate more than ANY outer style.
saluti - C

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-19_18-30-59.png
    upload_2016-11-19_18-30-59.png
    330.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
....Did it ever pose a problem walking in a skirt for so long?
. Finishing my Canino Frances in a couple of days. I've been walking since 1 October, & wore my Maabi skirt every day. I've found it to be brilliant for walking (& especially for pee stops!). Would never walk now in anything else. But it's not fashionable :p

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...Any advice from the experienced ladies on the forum in how they managed and what they carried in terms of clothing apart from hiking wear? I am planning to keep open the option of spending a couple of days at various places along the way if I feel like it, and the thought of nothing to wear besides hiking stuff is a bit dismal ...
My first visit to Madrid and Toledo I felt a little underdressed in my Macabi hiking skirt so my latest trip the only item I added clothing wise was a knee length black pull on skirt. In the city I'd wear it with either my long or short sleeved black hiking skirt, with or without my black leggings depending on the temperature, my black "city shoes" (Keen CNX Clearwater in black) and used my sarong as either a shawl or a scarf.

. Finishing my Canino Frances in a couple of days. I've been walking since 1 October, & wore my Macabi skirt every day. I've found it to be brilliant for walking (& especially for pee stops!). Would never walk now in anything else. But it's not fashionable :p
I wear my Macabi skirts at home nearly every day too!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My main concern was keeping my backpack as light as possible, so I brought no extras. I hiked in skirts 1 long (Macabi) and 1 short (purple rain). Nobody could call Macabi stylish or even attractive, but it sure is functional. Also, a scarf -- brightens up whatever. Buen Camino, and don't overthink the clothes!
Oh yes, I agree. Wore my Macabi 21 days straight on CF. love the pockets & it's various conformations.

I packed sundress that rolled up very small & didn't wrinkle. It felt great to put it on after a long days walk & a shower.

A compromise between what is comfortable to you (both in the sense of "fitting" and "feeling right") and what is practical for a long distance hike is probably the best solution. That way you'll have hiking clothes that are already "your style" and don't get tempted to carry an extra set of more fancy clothes for the evening.

You probably own more things that are perfectly fine for hiking than you think. Or find something at a second hand shop, or ebay. Or sew yourself. No need to spend endless money in the outoors shop for clothes you don't even like. There doesn't have to be the tag of a certain brand on your clothes to make them good for the outdoors.

Loden and tweed are great traditional fabrics for hiking that are almost forgotten nowadays. Soft wool makes a good warm layer (one of my favourite items when hiking is a cashmere cardigan). A felt hat looks great and protects against sun and rain. And so on! If you want to wear a skirt, do that. It doesn't always have to be the beige zip-off trousers!

If you're into fashion history, maybe have a look at what people used to wear outdoors during the last century, there are very interesting things to be found.

This site for example has some nice pictures of ladies hiking in style: http://vintagedancer.com/vintage/vintage-hiking-camping-clothes/

By the way, if anyone has an idea for sandals that are as comfortable as tevas, but maybe slightly less ugly... please, tell me!

@Ujala - I've just finished the Via de la Plata and really tried to get my kit right... and having a few non essential items was important to me. I did take make-up but I did search around for smaller and lightweight items... and stuff that was long lasting. I loved coming back at the end of the day and having a shower and putting on a bit of lippie :cool: I was also so happy that half of the women in the group did the same :cool: I also took a little perfume and moisturiser and the total weight of it all was less that 100gm. I painted my nails and repainted them when I had the chance to buy remover and more varnish... I also bought razors and shaved legs in the bigger towns. It just helped me feel more like me.

I played with lightweight additions to my kit too... for example a very lightweight chiffon scarf... it was cheap, quick drying and multi-purpose. I wore mine a number of times and I would be tempted to take another next time to change things up. But you can play with hat/scarf/gloves for variety.

I wore Skins compression tights and I'm going to look at tunics and maybe short dresses to wear with them next time.

My pack weight was under 7kg before food and water and I was glad a took a few non-essential items. I appreciate it's not for everyone but I loved my extras... especially when I was away for so long. :cool:

My dresses were very comfortable to walk in, especially on the hot days. I did wear a very lightweight pair of shorts underneath for modesty and potential chafing issues.
I brought a small tube of mascara, tinted sunscreen, and tinted lip balm as my only cosmetics. I was relying on my creamy sunscreen as my moisturizer, but ended up buying a small tube of moisturizer for face and body. I also bought a bottle of nail polish and painted my toenails one day for fun.

Hello all! I am planning my first Camino this summer and I hope my question does not come across thr wrong way. While I have a personal, spiritual reason for walking the Camino, I can't set aside the fact that I am a style blogger and a bit of a fashionista and maintaining a certain level of 'style' (if you will) is a part of who I am. Any advice from the experienced ladies on the forum in how they managed and what they carried in terms of clothing apart from hiking wear? I am planning to keep open the option of spending a couple of days at various places along the way if I feel like it, and the thought of nothing to wear besides hiking stuff is a bit dismal ...

Hola Ujala and as others have said - welcome to the Forum and the Camino. Whilst fashion is important (to some) I do have to warn you - the Camino does become adictive.
Now as a mere male I would never offer a " tres chic" woman fashion advice; but here goes. In my opinion comfort definitely trumps style - remember you are going to be walking 15-20-25 km per day and after the first 10 no one is going to comment one way or the other. But as the women's magazine are often saying pick a couple of basic colours and base your wardrobe around these. Unfortunately light-weight trekking shirts and pants come in a limited range of colours.
As for taking " rest days" great idea. This part of Norther Spain is full of history going back for over a 1000 years and Spanish people are most friendly, especially towards pilgrims. So do your camino training, select your wardrobe, become a regular here and look forward to 30 or more days of peace. Buen Camino:):cool::rolleyes:o_O:D

I have yet to see the usual suspects suggesting leaving antiperspirant home and letting under arm hair grow to limit body odour. Where are they? ;0)

As for perfume, who one earth would bring a full bottle for 2-3-4 weeks? A 1ml sample size will last you a week. I always carry a few. 2-3 grams well used.

As for dresses, be careful they don't ride up too high with your back pack on!

And where is the forum member whose wife had packed the blowdryer, on top of the gear for the couple and theor 4 kids? That man had a fabulous sens of humour.

But really, there is a time and a place for everything. I don't blink at the thought of paying for hand made shoes I wear for work, but I also know not to wear anything white nor anything that requires dry cleaning when I take my dogs to the dog run.

I have yet to see the usual suspects suggesting leaving antiperspirant home and letting under arm hair grow to limit body odour. Where are they? ;0)

As for perfume, who one earth would bring a full bottle for 2-3-4 weeks? A 1ml sample size will last you a week. I always carry a few. 2-3 grams well used.

And where is the forum member whose wife had packed the blowdryer, on top of the gear for the couple and theor 4 kids? That man had a fabulous sens of humour.

But really, there is a time and a place for everything. I don't blink at the thought of paying for hand made shoes I wear for work, but I also know not to wear anything white nor anything that requires dry cleaning when I take my dogs to the dog run.
I brought deodorant, but occasionally forgot to put it on. I didn't notice a difference, hopefully no one else did!
I also brought a couple of disposable razors and kept my legs and pits shaved.
And I had absolutely no problem with my dresses riding up because of my backpack. It's really not much different than wearing a belt with a dress

Ha for my next Camino in style...bought these Crocs. Seeing I go early in spring I think these ones are more sensible than my open Croc sandals.
They won't win a fashion contest but they are very comfy...:p

Attachments

• 20161122_193818.jpg
    20161122_193818.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sabine,

Are these neoprene? If so, you may want to walk in them at home first. I find my feet sweat a lot in them, making for a slippery sole, a wiggly foot. For that reason I prefer Crocs with holes in them, even if dirt gets into them a lot more.

Sabine,

Are these neoprene? If so, you may want to walk in them at home first. I find my feet sweat a lot in them, making for a slippery sole, a wiggly foot. For that reason I prefer Crocs with holes in them, even if dirt gets into them a lot more.

Indeed Neoprene but I intend to wear them with socks seeing I will walk end of March so cold enough I guess in the evening.
Will leave sandals for shower only.

This wrinkly old fashion queen wears camouflage trousers ('cos the stains get lost in the pattern)' black Merino tops ('cos the 'armpit icing' tells you when you you really need to wash-em) and a Panama hat (what gentleman wouldn't ). The rest of my outfit is determined by expedience or passion: the distinction between those two beasts is for the moral philosophers and the argumentative amongst us.

Happy, fashionable, Camino @Ujala

Last edited:
Very much possible. I did Sant-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Finisterre/Muxia and carried all my stuff. From skin out (FSO) 9kg + water and food (i.e. chocolate and parmesan type cheese, vino tinto). FSO includes also boots (close to kg), backpack, bellybag, camera, phablet, chargers, walking poles (get nice ones and use them a lot), etc... Cosmetics and trinkets too.

Why not plan on adding local items to your wardrobe along your Camino?
Better not, although there are many fantastic temptations. First you never know if the thing you need will be in the village where you will want to use it. And if you get them extra, you have to carry them. Even if only till the next post office (which you will have to find and during working hours, adds unnecessary stress, better enjoy the city)

30-35 are enough to walk the length
I thought so, but in practice I walked some 20 km a day, + spent more time in some cities, + relaxing day in Muxia, that amounted to 45 days.

Is it true that albergues wont let you stay more than a single night?
As others pointed out - there are different types of albergues. Also you can walk 5 km to next one. Still counts.

Whatever you wear, no-one will really notice
Thats is a very popular urban legend here in the forum. Don't fall for this. People do and will notice what you wear, how you smell/stink, condition of your skin, hair, etc. People might be polite not to point their fingers at you, but if you are above average, they not only compliment you, that might be also the difference between "no wifi" and a slip with kilometres long bask password. Especially the locals do notice. Spanish ladies do walk in style (using luggage transfers). Those were the foreigners that jumped at the opportunity to look like a cow had chewed them and spit out as inedible. Ageing hippies do look awful. I also didn't point my finger at them and some proved nice people, just keep on the wind side from them.

nothing matters but weight and function. Buy a good pack and suitable footwear and sleeping gear
Absolutely true. But you can try to match colours. I had black-white-grey and red (included diluted red=pink, had to go for that compromise).

Yep. A sample for the cities and a small flight size spray bottle of lavanda eaudecologne for everyday and to spoil the appetite of bed bugs - either it worked or they were not there. + deo.

And I had absolutely no problem with my dresses riding up because of my backpack.
;) Others had. Dresses ride up in the back.

Little black dress from Max Mara
Or little black dress from Amazon, under 10 euros, beats Max Mara by far.

My stylish lady kit included
- the mentioned little black dress (not cotton, resembling under knee long T-shirt, wrinkle free, rolls small, used to walk around in the afternoons, both villages and cities and to sleep in, didn't fade from frequent washing);
- large colourful chiffon scarf (Primark) - used as sunshade over my head and arms (Indian style or have knots tied at both ends making a bolero), as curtain, as extra towel, padding;
- black waterproof Crocs ballerinas (great for showers and cities alike, didn't have sandals, only walking boots and those);
- black leggings and actually used when it was cold (summer);
- men's swim shorts (light, easy dry) for walking, got pink :p and for actual swimming my red undies and red sports bra (2 sets) doubled as bikini;
- buff grey with red dragons. Great versatile item even not counting the dragons, protects ears from wind;
- red rain poncho. Mostly for visibility, if you have to walk on roads in rain;
- gellish nail varnish applied by professional before setting out. On fingers and toes alike. Lasted 2 months, just updated the roots from 3ml bottle (classic red, easy to match gellish and update). Apart from vanity it is said that nail varnishes protect the nails from fungus, important when you use public showers and every day wash all clothes by hand;
- had my shambala bracelet and crystal earrings because they shine;
- make up : Lush coloured lip balm, used for lips and as highlights under eyebrows and on cheekbones. Eye liner, roll- out, non sharpen, got more or less smokey look by the end of day. Lush dry shampoo and conditioner worked for me. Hair dye my friend brought when she joined around mid walk. And yes, I did use it at night in the albergue shower;
- definitely do take both sunscreen AND face cream!!!

Buen Camino! Hope you will post what your Camino style turned out to be! :)

but if you are above average, they not only compliment you, that might be also the difference between "no wifi" and a slip with kilometres long bask password. Especially the locals do notice. Spanish ladies do walk in style (using luggage transfers). Those were the foreigners that jumped at the opportunity to look like a cow had chewed them and spit out as inedible. Ageing hippies do look awful. I also didn't point my finger at them and some proved nice people, just keep on the wind side from them.
Gee! I was under the happy delusion that as an aging person with no style flair (although I think I am clean, stink-free and not too cow-like although there's nothing wrong with cows) I was still well-treated and got the same password as everyone else! In fact one of the things I most love about the Camino is that it is relatively free from pressures of style, youth, status, etc. Thanks for not pointing!

I was under the happy delusion that as an ageing person with no style flair (although I think I am clean, stink-free and not too cow-like although there's nothing wrong with cows) I was still well-treated and got the same password as everyone else! In fact one of the things I most love about the Camino is that it is relatively free from pressures of style, youth, status, etc. Thanks for not pointing!
Quite possible my rant wasn't about you. Never said everybody else were unkept.
As a country girl I also like cows, their smell is much nicer than a stinky t-shirt somebody carefully put to air next to my pillow and wore the same the next day (ewwww). If you notice I was meaner than to compare people to cows, I compared to chew stuff. I'm not nice, I know already.

In albergues I saw that people actually use stuff that I was sure should be in a museum. Underwear from Napoleonic war times?? Yes, way too much info but you can't avoid when somebody parades proudly.

As of free from pressures of style, youth, status, etc - some let go of all pressures way too far because back home they have to observe too many details. And then there are people with expensive gear, high-tech stuff, all perfectly matched (for sure not picked from clotheslines), looking like supermodels and when you talk to them turns out they have no home, no job, no family - professional pilgrims, wondering from albergue to the next, returning to starting points and over again and again.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thats is a very popular urban legend here in the forum. Don't fall for this. People do and will notice what you wear, how you smell/stink, condition of your skin, hair, etc. People might be polite not to point their fingers at you, but if you are above average, they not only compliment you, that might be also the difference between "no wifi" and a slip with kilometres long bask password. Especially the locals do notice. Spanish ladies do walk in style (using luggage transfers). Those were the foreigners that jumped at the opportunity to look like a cow had chewed them and spit out as inedible. Ageing hippies do look awful. I also didn't point my finger at them and some proved nice people, just keep on the wind side from them.

I'm sticking to my version, with perhaps a slight revision... No one you are interested in communicating with will care what you look like.

Perhaps, how you smell is another matter.

On the Camino attitude is everything, not how you look. The only person your appearance is important to is you. And whilst there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look your best, that alone won't win you any friends. Having now walked four full caminos I have learned a great deal about myself and others. And although I do usually make the effort in the evenings to wear something bright and cheerful and as close to elegant as possible, I have no doubt that I do it for my own comfort, not so as not to offend anyone else.

Ultimately your comfort is what's important at the end of a long, hot day's walking. Accessing wifi passwords is more likely to be achieved by speaking a few polite words of spanish than enthralling the bar tender with your style. And I found all the cows along the way most charming and welcoming of any attention, even when I was looking hot and sweaty in my walking clothes - spanish cows don't seem to be judgmental, and living here in southern Spain, I can assure you that the locals in my village are amongst the least judgement and most open and friendly people you could meet.

I have a feeling the ones who do take care of themselves got offended, SORRY, but the ones who don't - they don't care and will not o_O

I have a feeling the ones who do take care of themselves got offended, SORRY, but the ones who don't - they don't care and will not o_O
I don't think you're getting the point - as a general rule pilgrims will not care what other pilgrims look like. I imagine you are in a very small minority. What most pilgrims care about is how others behave, not how they look.

And I am very, very pleased to say that the Camino has changed my outlook a great deal. I am now very comfortable in my own unmade-up skin. A few years ago I felt entirely undressed to leave the house without basic makeup and looking very smart, almost no matter what I was about to do. Now, it is not an issue for me. I still love to dress up when I feel the occasion calls for it, or just because that is how I want to present myself in that particular day. But I no longer worry about being judged and I try very hard not to judge others (something of an ongoing quest).

Last edited:
[
Gee! I was under the happy delusion that as an aging person with no style flair (although I think I am clean, stink-free and not too cow-like although there's nothing wrong with cows) I was still well-treated and got the same password as everyone else! In fact one of the things I most love about the Camino is that it is relatively free from pressures of style, youth, status, etc. Thanks for not pointing!

Thank you!! You expressed it very well.

Talking to myself now and reminding me not to post an aswer here because I don't know if I can keep as civil as you. So thank you again!!

After a couple of weeks, a pilgrim leaves this kind of preoccupation behind. He uses what he has to hand, he wears what he's got. What he looks like, or what other people look/smell like? Not exactly a priority any more.
He's got other things on his mind.
And if he's got clothes he feels comfy in, he's lucky indeed.
If he's already got clothes that make him look like a style icon, well. I guess he's pretty special!
(I always make it a point to give well-dressed people extra treats, doesn't everyone?)

I love cows. They're so naked and uncompetitive.
I have to confess. I smell. Not after my shower, which I have everyday and I use deodorant too. However, I sweat when I exercise and it smells like sweat. On the camino, I sweated. I wore the same charcoal Macabee skirt every day also. My clothes didn't smell (icebreaker!) I didn't wear makeup. I looked like the short little 70 year old woman that I am, not fashionable! Had no trouble getting wifi passwords, speaking Spanish is great, along with a smile, a por favor, a muchas gracias. Smiling now :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have to confess. I smell. Not after my shower, which I have everyday and I use deodorant too. However, I sweat when I exercise and it smells like sweat. On the camino, I sweated. I wore the same charcoal Macabee skirt every day also. My clothes didn't smell (icebreaker!) I didn't wear makeup. I looked like the short little 70 year old woman that I am, not fashionable! Had no trouble getting wifi passwords, speaking Spanish is great, along with a smile, a por favor, a muchas gracias. Smiling now :)
Dear Dazey,

You sound exactly 100% sane and normal and that post is tied for first place forever no matter what.

And thank you.

In fact, I was not really offended. I was more happy that I have reached the point in my life when I don't worry much about these things! And oddly, I probably have more style now than I ever did, simply because I'm not trying so hard.

I realize that I have the privilege of health, education and comfort. I am not so fast as before to judge others on their appearance and assume that they don't care or are too lazy. I have experience with eccentrics among my family and friends who do smell, who do wear ancient underwear, who have odd characteristics, and even some who are annoyingly good looking. I am not a people person who loves everyone, but I have learned to keep an open mind about people. (I even assume that @SeaHorse is a reasonable person who simply overstated some things.) The camino is a wonderful place to learn this attitude.

This thread has produced some great one-liners! Some of my favourites are:
Accessing wifi passwords is more likely to be achieved by speaking a few polite words of spanish than enthralling the bar tender with your style.
I looked like the short little 70 year old woman that I am
(I always make it a point to give well-dressed people extra treats, doesn't everyone?)
I saw that people actually use stuff that I was sure should be in a museum.

A few days ago a series of memes were posted on the Salvador FB page. There are 10 of them, one for each type of pilgrim. They are funny. Here is one.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 60
One of my favorite quotes is from Mark Twain - "Clothes make the man; naked people have little or no influence on society."

As for myself, I have found myself very uncomfortable at times wearing clothes that were not mine, and didn't end up really reflecting me, or, not fitting me the way I am used to my clothes fitting. If the OP was finding herself in this hypothetical situation in regards to the more-looser fitted idea of a lot of hiking clothes, I can relate. There are a number of brands of exercise clothing made for women that have ventured into the area of design and becoming 'chic,' and that are a lot more closer fitted to the body since a lot of their stuff is for running. My favorite line is the international brand, Lole, based out of Montreal, with a lot of its stuff being sold at a good discount on the Sierra Trading Post site. Another line that is similar is Title Nine, based out of California, I think. I mostly just look for outfit ideas there, but in that kind of range one could find some staples for everyday walking that would still be fun to coordinate. And you never know what you might pick up as you are going to add to what is working for you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Link, please?
Sorry, I don't know how to link to a FB page, but I just saw that the memes are still very close to the top of the posts of the Camino del Salvador page. Should be easy to find. And so very funny, and cruelly realistic!

So, how was your Camino @Ujala? Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.