• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

doing the camino over xmas

bunnyo

hi all :D , im planning to continue my walk from Lorca (approx 140km from st jean) over the "christmas period", for two weeks or so, i would appreciate feedback from anyone that has done this, particularly with regard to accomodation,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked from Pamplona to Leon in December 2005. It was one of my favorite caminos. I never had any trouble finding a place to stay. In general there were 3 to 5 pilgrams staying in albergues per night.

I really enjoyed the solitude and got to experience the generocity of the camino. I had walked Leon to Santiago the previous September when almost every albuerge was filled each night.

It also enjoyed visting all the churches along the way and seeing the elaborate "Belens" - nativity scenes.

Weather was cool but not really cold (except for one night in a unheated albuerge). I wore layers and found it to be perfect walking weather.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Jeff

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our esteemed colleague Johnnie Walker did a New Year´s camino a couple of years ago, and produced this award-winning video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbjSGA8TVDw

I did the Sarria to Santiago "express camino" last December. It was a breeze finding places to stay on that strip, but prices were somewhat elevated and the heat they always promised never made it to the radiator near me.

I live farther back along the Frances, (on the meseta in Palencia) and pilgrims stay with us often over the actual Christmas and Epiphany holidays -- there are enough hostels and albergues in the area, and they advertise "open all year," but they won´t bother opening up if there are only one or two of you. If they do bother, you cannot expect any heat, esp. if the room is big. And on Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year´s Eve, New Year´s Day, and Three Kings Day, you will find entire towns closed down completely. You need to carry backup food, and must phone ahead and make sure there is an open albergue on actual holidays, (especially New Years Eve and Christmas Eve!) as hotels fill up then, too.

There is a real dearth of pilgrim movement out here from mid-December to mid-February. For good reasons. It´s /&% COLD out there, for starters...

But winter pilgrims are hardcore. They ROCK.
Reb.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back