• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the camino unplugged

brian2015

Hi all,

I apologise if this thread has already been done or If I am repeating previous content. I got such good information from my last post that I have decided to ask the forum for help once more.

I am taking a long period off work. (3 months) and have set out only very rough guidelines for my camino(approx 6 weeks or so i plan to go to finisterre).

What I want to ask those who have previously completed the camino is how possible or hard is it to compete the camino without using any electronic equipment (phone, computer, ipad)

My plan is to do the camino without any phone, without looking up news on the internet and as much as possible without looking at tv...so basically i want to completely detach myself from the world that I am now part of.....however I realise that certain things might be outside of my control at times like in bars or albergues.

I will create one exception to check a newly created email account once a day in case family require to notify me of something urgent.

Has anybody tried to do something similar to this( I'm sure many people have) What were your experiences or what are your thoughts on this....Is it possible or is its silly overkill?

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It is certainly possible to do! For my first caminos from 2004 through 2007 I had no phone nor computer. My husband and I then in our mid 60's communicated periodically by land line telephones. Telephone booths were prominent in villages and towns and it was cheap to call back home in France. Now a telephone booth is hardly ever seen.

Since 2008 I have carried a smartphone which is used to text each other our plans for the day. Since we are now in our late 70's it is very important to stay connected! With my phone I have also called for emergency assistance for other pilgrims who were incapacitated. On a happier note my walking blog is both written and illustrated via the phone. I have never carried a computer.

Good luck with your plans and Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This topic has indeed been covered before and you will get as many opinions as there are members here. Unplugged can be great in many respects especially in regard to news and emails but have a mind to health and safety, yours and others, a phone is a great thing to have if you or another pilgrim gets injured or gets into trouble on the trail. You can carry one but you can leave it switched off until you need to check in with home.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

@brian2015 My exact approach too Brian. I have walked from SJPP to Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia twice now and will soon be back for the third time.

No phone, internet, music or anything except a cheap compact camera. Being disconnected from home life certainly allows me to totally immerse myself in the Camino experience, but as a lifelong long distance walker I have always used this approach as it was the norm back before the invention of all this techie stuff.

Buen Camino,

Mike

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
But out of this, no problem at all (but to convince my wife that she don't need a call every second hour)

I think that this may be the biggest problem for some people - the expectation of others that you are instantly contactable at all times. I have known people who immediately assume the worst and begin to imagine all sorts of dreadful possibilities if they do not get a reply to a text message or voicemail within minutes. Unplugging your over-anxious nearest and dearest might prove far more challenging than unplugging yourself.

All the electronics I carry have an off switch. I use it.

True but my problem is if I turn my phone on I will have a number of emails or text messages from work which I will feel guilty about if I don't respond to....therefore its easier for me just not to bring them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your unplugged plan works best if you are in good health (have no need to summon emergency squad), your family - all its generations - are in good health (have no need to notify you of issues), your fellow-walking pilgrims remain in good health, your fellow-walkers all stay within sight of each other, you walk the Camino Frances in Spain (where it is not necessary to call ahead for reservations), you are unemployed (so there is no contact from employers) and not seeking work, and you do not blog, take photos, or require translation of Spanish phrases. Perfectly possible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Brian 2015 A smart phone is a useful tool, check your bank bal, allows family to contact you, book or rebook a flight, etc. It can allow you to give some brief advice to others, but the utter obsession I observed on my recent trip with people and their phones was sad. They sat beside one another for long periods not talking but just on the phone, lay in bed on the phone (not exploring). In a restaurant first thing people asked for was not the menu but the wi fi code.

Soak in the many different experiences of the Camino, a smartphone is useful tool but not as a total lifestyle.

Dermot

@brian2015 My exact approach too Brian. I have walked from SJPP to Santiago, Finisterre and Muxia twice now and will soon be back for the third time.

No phone, internet, music or anything except a cheap compact camera. Being disconnected from home life certainly allows me to totally immerse myself in the Camino experience, but as a lifelong long distance walker I have always used this approach as it was the norm back before the invention of all this techie stuff.

Buen Camino,

Mike

I completely agree with this, well done Mike for saying it, the amount of people I see with phones, ipads, tablets etc, drives me mad sometimes, and the closer you get to Santiago, the worse it gets, I'm like you Mike, I like to immerse myself in the Camino experience. The only thing I do to keep in contact with the family or friends is when there is a tourist office or a internet cafe, I use their facility's, and I do this on a prearranged day, like a Wednesday or Saturday for instance, and check for emails from them, or I drop them a quick line or two saying how I am and where I am etc, this works fine for me and it's peace of mind for my wife. As for the TV, I see lots of then in bars, not that I stop in many but it does happen, so I tend to sit outside so it's out of sight. I don't think it's over kill at all, it's refreshing to hear someone else trying to get away from all the electronic gear that people use today.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

True but my problem is if I turn my phone on I will have a number of emails or text messages from work which I will feel guilty about if I don't respond to....therefore its easier for me just not to bring them.
Put an out of office message on which says, "I'm on a trek. Use your initiative/discretion and think for yourself. I won't blame you if you make a wrong decision."

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A contrary opinion: you can carry a smartphone and never have to use it. But, it sure can come in handy if need to call a taxi (i.e. injury), call the hospitalero to come open up the albergue, book a pension because the albergue is full, check the weather forecast, use the GPS function to find out where the h**l you are because you took a wrong turn!

My husband and I have walked in France, Spain, Ireland and Israel without a phone. We do carry a device that will connect to wifi if available. We will send a batch message to our loved ones when wifi is available. Our family knows that if they need us that they can email and when wifi is available we will check. My brother took his life while I was in Spain in September 2014 and my family choose not to contact me as they knew that I would be home within a week or so. I was thankful that they waited until I return to the USA to tell me, as there really was nothing I could do.
Our approach is to let our family know our flight plans, a bit about what and where we will be, and have one person be the main contact.
Our adult children still find us "irresponsible" to travel without a phone...we just laugh and ask them what do you think people did years ago....or we could say centuries.
I'd say do what you and your family are comfortable with.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A contrary opinion: you can carry a smartphone and never have to use it. But, it sure can come in handy if need to call a taxi (i.e. injury), call the hospitalero to come open up the albergue, book a pension because the albergue is full, check the weather forecast, use the GPS function to find out where the h**l you are because you took a wrong turn!

Tha local bar or tourist office is a good place to go if you are in need of a bed, at least that has worked for us on many occasions. We have taken "many wrong turns", but we don't call it that. We just say we took a different path and somehow we have always ended up back on the "right path" and some times many towns and kilometers later. Not sure why it seems to work out for us, but we just go and know all will be fine. :)

I don't carry a phone but do check my email every few days - so a phone might be considered useful by lots of people but certainly not essential for all

Your idea of an email account to check once a day is a good one - however without your own phone or other device you may not always find somewhere to check your email every day - internet cafes and computers provided in bars or accommodation are becoming less common as so many people now bring their own means of accessing the internet.

If you want to consider a phone for safety reasons (being able to call emergency services if you or someone else has an accident, or to allow family to contact you in an emergency), you could get a Spanish SIM for your phone which will mean your number changes - so no one will be able to reach you unless you specifically give them your new number! If you do that with your own phone, you should also "un-sync" your email from the phone, so you don't get emails popping up at you unless you choose to log in and check them. Alternatively you could get a cheap "non-smart" phone and again only give the number to those who may need to reach you in an emergency. And keep the phone switched off, just checking for messages from home once a day. You can free yourself from the tyranny of technology - just make it work for you, rather than being a slave to it!

Whatever you decide, Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
No offense, but that is a rather odd question. Are you attempting to find out if it is feasible (of course it is...just don't carry the stuff or keep it switched off) or are you trying to find approval?
Ultimately it all boils down to your situation. If you have a family and children I think it's a selfish thing to do, not communicating with them for a month all the while they are concerned about you. If you are not in that situation, leave the stuff at home. It's not a necessity. You are still bound to see the occasional flatscreen on in the various bars and cafes you go in. The Camino isn't a technology void or a wilderness hike, and the automobiles, trains, planes, factories, power plants, windmills etc etc etc that you encounter everyday will reattach you to the world you are part of now.

Silly you, bring a I phone just in case. Take pictures with it and check your e-mail when ever. When I walked the Camino, there were some days that we didn't know what day it was or the time. Got up at sunrise, in the Albergue by sunset, didn't watch or want to know about the news. My Camino journey was like having peace in the world. No stress, no war, no sirens, no shootings or even a mention of gun violence. Just great happy pilgrims enjoying what God created life for. Don't plug in, the Camino is like a gift for yourself. God provides. Buen Camino

I don't have a cell phone, either at home or for travel. But I carry an ipad (with wifi connection only) when travelling. I use this to do my banking. I don't think I could be away for a couple of months without being able to update my banking. I also take photos with the ipad, pray the daily office (Lauds and Vespers in Spanish), look up albergue information and occasionally make an accommodation booking. Once a week I send a group email to family and friends. I do not find any of this burdensome, but then, I don't play with the ipad. It is a useful tool occasionally used. In case of emergency, I carry a SPOT emergency beacon with satellite connection to a monitoring station. On the camino, I carry this for emergencies only, while I check in daily if in a wilderness area. I suspect from the OP's posts that the problem is not the possession of electronic tools but the demands made on them by people on the other end, who assume a right to communicate whenever they wish. I can only echo falcon269: use the off switch and deal with your guilt.
Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all,

I apologise if this thread has already been done or If I am repeating previous content. I got such good information from my last post that I have decided to ask the forum for help once more.

I am taking a long period off work. (3 months) and have set out only very rough guidelines for my camino(approx 6 weeks or so i plan to go to finisterre).

What I want to ask those who have previously completed the camino is how possible or hard is it to compete the camino without using any electronic equipment (phone, computer, ipad)

My plan is to do the camino without any phone, without looking up news on the internet and as much as possible without looking at tv...so basically i want to completely detach myself from the world that I am now part of.....however I realise that certain things might be outside of my control at times like in bars or albergues.

I will create one exception to check a newly created email account once a day in case family require to notify me of something urgent.

Has anybody tried to do something similar to this( I'm sure many people have) What were your experiences or what are your thoughts on this....Is it possible or is its silly overkill?

Hi all,

If I carried my iPad or iPhone , I think there would be temptation to go on Facebook etc and I seriously need a break from it.
So decision made to not bring either.
I've printed off the Albergue list and have purchased a basic model Spanish phone and Sim.
I'm going to give my phone number to my 3 kids and my sister for emergencies and I will text them each evening to let them know I'm OK.
Can't wait for the freedom!
Theresa

You can easily do without it altogether, if you have the discipline or desire.
A phone is handy for emergencies (even without a Spanish SIM), and maps can be downloaded to be used offline.
Family...well, this is very much up to you and your situation. A 'no news is good news' agreement would perhaps quiet the anxieties of those on the other side? One of the great reliefs of the Camino is to be off the grid if you want to be, without anyone expecting instant (or any) communication.
I use an away message that says basically 'if your message is important please resend it after xyz date; I will not be reading or responding to those that come now' or something like that. (I can do this as I often disappear for days or weeks at a time and people are used to it...)
Other than that, using the off switch is up to you. It's a great place to explore, internally and externally!

I completely agree with this, well done Mike for saying it, the amount of people I see with phones, ipads, tablets etc, drives me mad sometimes, and the closer you get to Santiago, the worse it gets, I'm like you Mike, I like to immerse myself in the Camino experience. The only thing I do to keep in contact with the family or friends is when there is a tourist office or a internet cafe, I use their facility's, and I do this on a prearranged day, like a Wednesday or Saturday for instance, and check for emails from them, or I drop them a quick line or two saying how I am and where I am etc, this works fine for me and it's peace of mind for my wife. As for the TV, I see lots of then in bars, not that I stop in many but it does happen, so I tend to sit outside so it's out of sight. I don't think it's over kill at all, it's refreshing to hear someone else trying to get away from all the electronic gear that people use today.
Good luck and Buen Camino.

Thanks so much for your post Nigel. I feel the electronic gadgetry has become a crutch for many people in modern society. In that, they use it to avoid certain social situations. I'm glad I'm not the only who feels that they are not completely necessary for everyone on the camino and I look forward to tackling the camino in the same way you did.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No offense, but that is a rather odd question. Are you attempting to find out if it is feasible (of course it is...just don't carry the stuff or keep it switched off) or are you trying to find approval?
Ultimately it all boils down to your situation. If you have a family and children I think it's a selfish thing to do, not communicating with them for a month all the while they are concerned about you. If you are not in that situation, leave the stuff at home. It's not a necessity. You are still bound to see the occasional flatscreen on in the various bars and cafes you go in. The Camino isn't a technology void or a wilderness hike, and the automobiles, trains, planes, factories, power plants, windmills etc etc etc that you encounter everyday will reattach you to the world you are part of now.

Just trying to gauge whether its feasible or just plain foolish!! Wasn't sure if people would say a smartphone is a neccessity for safety reasons!! As for my personal situation obviously everyone is different and I know my own!

No offense but your opening line is condescending..not everyone is the expert you are :)

Last edited:
Just trying to gauge whether its feasible or just plain foolish!! Wasn't sure if people would say a smartphone is a neccessity for safety reasons!! As for my personal situation obviously everyone is different and I know my own!

No offense but your opening line is condescending..not everyone is the expert you are :)
"Expert"? Ha ha, no way. Just an overly opinionated middle aged dude.
Had no intention of being condescending. If I ever am...apologies. :)

I did my first Camino May 2015 and decided in advance that I didn't want to take my smartphone, not least because it was heavy, but mainly to unplug from world. I bought a cheap Pay as you go lightweight Nokia 106 phone that I could use to text my brother who was walking with me, as we invariably walked at different speeds, and occasionally phone ahead and book accommodation and text or ring home periodically. I enjoyed the silence. I loved hearing the wind and sounds as I walked. When my brother checked in at albergues or occasional hotel the first thing he asked for was the WIFI code, which filled me with sadness - but each to their own. I liked walking and thinking and slowing down the pace of my stressful life. That's what I needed. The last thing I wanted was noise in my ears. Having said that my brother said he would rather listen to his italian lessons than hear me pant breathlessly up the Pyrenees. It's your Camino - enjoy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back