• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the Camino using a pedelec

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ă–kumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
I am wondering if anybody has had any experience using a pedelec (otherwise known as peddle electric assist bike or e bike ) to cycle the Camino or any other long distance route?

Some of the newer models have a range of 70-100 km which seems reasonable for a typical day on the trail.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Some of the newer models are hard to spot with the motor built directly into the hub and the battery hidden into the frame.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Some of the newer models are hard to spot with the motor built directly into the hub and the battery hidden into the frame.
True, but the one petrol-engined variant that we did see we also heard and smelt, and the riding style of the riders of the electric versions was generally a good indication of the assistance they were getting.

The one thing I wonder about would be the recharging issue ...
Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Because it might be an option for a pilgrim with reduced mobility aka handicap? Buen Camino, SY
I considered that might be the case when they went past, but I was skeptical about any of those that I saw being given the benefit of the doubt on that score. Nonetheless, the lack of an obvious handicap is not proof that they didn't have one.

I'm not sure why we are discussing this? Isn't it the same as asking if anyone has done the Camino on a motorbike?
Because there are those who bus and taxi, so why not?

Saw some people usong these. Mind you, it was past Sarria. ;0) https://www.google.ca/search?q=large+front+wheel+scooter&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=Y1dJ8LTPqC43RM:

But back to the electric bicycle, I agree about thr issue being charging. How would a hospi kmow how to charge for the electricity use, and would you carry an extension coard?

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a matter of interest, the reason I am asking if anybody has used a pedelec on the Camino, is that a friend due to a disability would be unable to walk the Camino, but believes he could cycle the Camino providing he is using a cycle with some form of power assistance. Hence the idea of using a pedelec.

It is my understanding the battery is detachable and is recharged much like recharging an iPhone.

We have an electric bicycle at Peaceable, mostly for use by the Camino Chaplaincy clergy. It's very good for getting one man over the three relatively flat kilometers between here and Terradillos. But the person who gave us the bike lives near O Cebreiro. She'd hoped to use the bike there, to get up the hill to town -- and the hills there were way too much for the bike to handle. In addition, the batteries are heavy, the structure isn't trail-worthy, and a camino rider would have to travel along the side of the road when the trail got narrow or rough.
I don't think it would work once you hit the mountains.

Pedelecs are not motorbikes; you have to pedal to get power assistance. The motor cuts out if you don't pedal or when you reach 25 kph (in Australia at least). They allow people with health conditions to use a bike and keep up with others and go longer distances than they would be able to do with an ordinary bike. That said there are pedelecs and pedelecs and some are quite good at climbing hills and others not. The terrain is likely to be a problem if going off-road and as Rebecca says pedelecs may not be useful for climbing mountains.

The batteries are usually quite large (around 15 inches long) and heavy (3 -5.5 kg depending on capacity). They make the bicycle heavy to pedal without power assist. With a 10ah battery the range on my eZee bike is about 40 kms. But that can be less if the rider is heavier, or in cold weather or over difficult terrain, lots of hills etc. You can get solar rechargers but I don't know much about them. But these guys crossed the desert using one:

http://ezeebike.com/crossing-great-australia-desert-ezee-e-rex-solar-energy/

More likely you'd have to be sure you stay where you can recharge. The recharger I have is the size of a large paperback and heavy! So more weight to carry! I've attached a photo of my bike. The black lozenge-shaped thing down behind the seat is the battery!

Maybe some sections of the Camino might be possible? I wouldn't know as I haven't done a Camino yet!

On another note, please don't judge whether a person has a disability by how they look. Many people have serious invisible disabilities and suffer from other people's incorrect assumptions.

Attachments

• Sprint_red-900x400.jpg
    Sprint_red-900x400.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 12
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm not sure why we are discussing this? Isn't it the same as asking if anyone has done the Camino on a motorbike?
I find myself agreeing with Johnnie Walker above....

If someone was relying on one to get them over the Camino, they would have to research it carefully and plan their route to take advantage of roads. While I was walking a month ago I was told by another walker they had tried to assist someone in an electric wheelchair trying to get over the Route Napoleon. It ran out of power. The wheelchair together with its occupant was way too heavy to "manhandle". My informant did not know the end result, except that a rescue was necessary.

I did find a video of somebody that did the camino using a pedelec

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No electric- or gas-powered transport for me. It's palanquin all the way! Still trying to find bearers -- may be a problem. :D

I wonder if a palanquin would count? It is doing it by foot - someone else's feet.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back