• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doing the Logrono Tapas Crawl by Oneself

Sheesh

Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2013, 2022
Due to time constraints, I may be starting from Logrono this fall and likely will be in private accommodation that first night.

Previously when I was there, I had already formed a small camino family including some who were fluent in Spanish and we did the tapas crawl together. Although great fun, I recall it was a little overwhelming and I was glad to be part of a group.

But if I begin in Logrono I won't have made acquaintances yet. Funny, I can walk across Spain by myself, but for some reason I'm feeling a little anxious about attempting the tapas crawl alone. Though I guess I don't actually have to "crawl" - I could just stay in one place. My Spanish is rudimentary. (Lo hablo un poco, pero no mucho.)

Any suggestions for doing the Logrono tapas scene by oneself?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Due to time constraints, I may be starting from Logrono this fall and likely will be in private accommodation that first night.

Previously when I was there, I had already formed a small camino family including some who were fluent in Spanish and we did the tapas crawl together. Although great fun, I recall it was a little overwhelming and I was glad to be part of a group.

But if I begin in Logrono I won't have made acquaintances yet. Funny, I can walk across Spain by myself, but for some reason I'm feeling a little anxious about attempting the tapas crawl alone. Though I guess I don't actually have to "crawl" - I could just stay in one place. My Spanish is rudimentary. (Lo hablo un poco, pero no mucho.)

Just go for it.
I also walk alone and prefer to go into a tapasplace by myself. That is the good thing about these informal places. Informal seating at the bar or at one of those wooden winebarrels. Do not overthink it.
Try to get there before the crowds get in.
And you can always start a conversation with another single person or a small group of people.In that case it does help to have some basic knowledge of Spanish.

Last edited:
Great question! I'm planning an extended stay in Logrono myself (June) and am looking forward to a crawl(s) with other peregrinos. Looking for ideas for accommodations.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Great question! I'm planning an extended stay in Logrono myself (June) and am looking forward to a crawl(s) with other peregrinos. Looking for ideas for accommodations.
Do you have a guidebook for the Camino Frances yet? If you don't I suggest that you purchase one for research purposes at the very least. You can buy one here on this forum. Personally I like the Brierley guidebook.
Logrono has or had (pre-pandemic) large capacity albergues. Also there are several private accommodations near the streets with a lot of tapas bars. I've made the tapas crawl three times with other pilgrims while staying in Logrono. I remember the bars being just south of the cathedral. Tripadvisor website can be handy, too.

Just go for it. Don’t worry about getting served. Even without speaking any Spanish, you’ll be able to get something to eat and drink. They are very good at that in the tapas bars. 😉 What’s the worst that could happen? You stand around by yourself, maybe feel a little awkward, do some people watching, and go home early. 🤷‍♀️ Or something better might happen. Do it and find out. 🙂. Buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, big cities can be lonely by yourself.

You could maybe post the date you will be there, and perhaps there are others here on the forum that will be there on the same date, so you could meet up with them.

I’ll be there on 5 May 🤞.

Funny, I can walk across Spain by myself, but for some reason I'm feeling a little anxious about attempting the tapas crawl alone. Though I guess I don't actually have to "crawl" - I could just stay in one place.
I share these feelings. But remember - it is not an inadequacy in you, it is simply a different circumstance.

Some experiences are better with companions and almost by definition, a tapas crawl is one of those. But I agree with Sabine...
Do not overthink it.
So, just do what seems appropriate - you need something to eat, and you might meet some people in the process. Or you might not - but enjoy your experience even if it is not the same experience as you might idealize.

As others have suggested, this could be a good occasion to reach out to another pilgrim in Logrono who might be in a similar situation.

Two thoughts:
- Go to Calle Laurel, watch for english speaking groups looking like pilgrims, start talking to them...
- There should be organized food tours with english speaking guides. I'm sure google will help

or you could just head there, talk broken spanish and point at things and everything would work too. Minus the company of other people....

edit: and definately go to Bar Soriano!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hey family, well yes I was going to walk 500 miles, but instead I saw this website and decided to spend 7 weeks in Logrono.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first time not easy to find, best to go to the Eroski store at Gonzalo De Berceo square and call, you will be picked up. Clean rooms and very fair prices. On crawling distance to la Laurel and located along to Camino, just follow the arrows.

Pension Laurel
Gonzalo De Berceo 4 1ºB
E-26005 Logroño
info@pensionlaurel.com
‭+34 941 124 506‬

Hey family, well yes I was going to walk 500 miles, but instead I saw this website and decided to spend 7 weeks in Logrono.
I stopped my last camino in Pamplona due to weather but I wanted to walk a sea-to-sea Barcelona to San Sebastián. I could have stopped in Irun but my target was San Sebastián to make Peg jealous.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first time not easy to find, best to go to the Eroski store at Gonzalo De Berceo square and call, you will be picked up. Clean rooms and very fair prices. On crawling distance to la Laurel and located along to Camino, just follow the arrows.

Pension Laurel
Gonzalo De Berceo 4 1ºB
E-26005 Logroño
info@pensionlaurel.com
‭+34 941 124 506‬
Pension Laurel
Gonzalo De Berceo 4... You
are within crawl distance of Calle de Laurel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pension Laurel
Gonzalo De Berceo 4... You
are within crawl distance of Calle de Laurel?
There's a good tourism office in Logrono. When you arrive there check it out. They have a city map they can give you and answer any questions you have and even stamp your credentials.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Absolutely get a private room. The pinchos fun starts after 10pm. And albergues close at that time.

The food and wine is amazing.

And even without Spanish. Just point and say por favor

Look for pilgrims, they will be everywhere…ask them if you can join them for the tapa thing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I did it alone this past August. I prefer alone. Although I am fluent in Spanish so I can get my socializing in if I want to.

In three visits to Logrono, and many long and enjoyable hours in and around Calle Laurel both in company and alone, I have never once heard of or thought of it as "the tapas crawl".

Indeed! Tapas crawl does give it a rather tacky feeling. I see it more as a culinary exploration.
Crawl has this akward connotation with bachelorparties...

Absolutely get a private room. The pinchos fun starts after 10pm. And albergues close at that time.

The food and wine is amazing.

And even without Spanish. Just point and say por favor
Do you have any idea what time the bars open? Some of us are early risers and can't do the 10:00 fun. Just can't go to bed with a full belly. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you have any idea what time the bars open? Some of us are early risers and can't do the 10:00 fun. Just can't go to bed with a full belly. Thanks!
Past 10:00 pm. lol :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Crawl, walk, stroll.....poe-ta-toe, pah-tah-toe ....toe-may-toe, tah-mah-toe :D
whatever, I ain't no snob...just go enjoy it if you have time and are staying in accommodations that do not have a curfew.
The times I sampled the many places there was more that ten of us in the group from many countries and we drank a lot of wine and a lot of beer and the variety of tapas seemed endless....at times difficult to choose and I liked them all.
We all went back to where we were staying after 2:00 am and I recall a difficult time getting up the next morning and it was a short walking day.

Might it depend upon what it takes to wash it down? 😉

And that brings us to the idea that many people think that you need alcohol to enjoy a good evening.
You do not need that at all.
Some first timers on a Camino might get the impression that alcohol is a must on a Camino and I always assure them that this is not the case.

Last edited:
And that brings us to the idea that many people think that you need alcohol to enjoy a good evening.
You do not need that ay all.
Some first timers on a Camino might get the impression that alcohol is a must on a Camino and I always assure them that this is not the case.
If they're teenagers, maybe. lol

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just can't go to bed with a full belly.
The Spanish eat lunch as their main meal of the day. So in the evenings they have tapas or pinxos (snacks).

No need to go to bed on a full stomach.

At home supper is my main meal of the day, but on the camino I adapt to the Spanish way and make lunch my main meal of the day.

Then I enjoy the tapas in the evening!

At home supper is my main meal of the day, but on the camino I adapt to the Spanish way and make lunch my main meal of the day.
Occasionally on the Camino I've made lunch and dinner both my main meals in a day.😋
Then I enjoy the tapas in the evening!
I love Logrono and it has some of the most beautiful tapas I've seen! I've posted this picture before, but I think the tapas made into sailing ships are so adorable!
Screenshot_20220226-144648~2.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Night crowd starts at !0:00; If siesta time is 2:00 - 6:00 (?), when does the after-work crowd hit?

I love Calle Laurel and have enjoyed the gastronomy there with Camino family in 2018, and then last September mostly by myself; both experiences were fun and basically what you make of it. I think you can have a great time solo.

Some clarification regarding the food, though: if it comes pinned to a piece of bread with a toothpick/skewer it is a Pintxo or Pincho from the Spanish pinchar, "to pinch", and it is a single (or double) bite portion for an individual, and are found/served primarily in No. Spain, whereas Tapas are (generally speaking) portions that are large enough to be shared at a table, like bravas, or olivos for example. You can certainly find Tapas in Pintxo Bars in Logroño, but you're probably eating in a Pintxo bar, like Bar Soriano, and not a Tapas bar. Of course there are exceptions to everything, so YMMV. 😀

One last thing, each bar has a specialty pincho, like Bar Soriano with their mushrooms, or La Tasca del Pato who specialize in txangurritos (spider crab fishcakes, baked inside a scallop shell). Be sure to ask or look for a sign indicating what that bar's specialty is so you can get the most out of your experience.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, Logrono has the most beautiful tapas, and better yet, they even heat up some of them to make it taste so much better!! Three of us al stayed in the albergue by the cathedral and we started at 6:30 pm and we were back at the albergue before 10 pm!! Beautiful!!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.