• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dollar rises against Euro

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But, only if YOU can choose the exact moment of purchase. With international events so dynamic. I have watched the Euro bounce up and down daily. If you think you are ever going to get a bargain, or even parity (1 = 1), fuggetaboutit!

The European Central Bank (ECB) very carefully manages (manipulates) the value of the Euro to keep it strong against the dollar, in particular. Other currencies usually trail in a synchronized fashion.

This has more to do with export - import issues and trade surplus imbalances than raw politics. But, sometimes external political events conspire to overcome the ECB's ability to catch the swing in time to control the results.

I suspect that is what is happening just now. There are so many global events, both good and not so good happening, that the ECB is working as fast as it can to respond and adjust. Who knows, we might just get lucky... But, always remember, the ECB is keeping the best interests of the EU at heart when keeping the Euro strong against other currencies. They do not care that you have to pay 20 or 50 percent to buy their currency. In fact, they much prefer it that way.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But, only if YOU can choose the exact moment of purchase. With international events so dynamic. I have watched the Euro bounce up and down daily. If you think you are ever going to get a bargain, or even parity (1 = 1), fuggetaboutit!

The European Central Bank (ECB) very carefully manages (manipulates) the value of the Euro to keep it strong against the dollar, in particular. Other currencies usually trail in a synchronized fashion.

This has more to do with export - import issues and trade surplus imbalances than raw politics. But, sometimes external political events conspire to overcome the ECB's ability to catch the swing in time to control the results.

I suspect that is what is happening just now. There are so many global events, both good and not so good happening, that the ECB is working as fast as it can to respond and adjust. Who knows, we might just get lucky... But, always remember, the ECB is keeping the best interests of the EU at heart when keeping the Euro strong against other currencies. They do not care that you have to pay 20 or 50 percent to buy their currency. In fact, they much prefer it that way.

Hope this helps.
I watched the dollar to euro for over a year prior to my walk in 2017. I bought euros through my bank in Texas doing several buys over a two year period to “dollar cost average” when the dollar was higher. I bought 2,000 euros in four buys of 500 euro each time. I saved a couple hundred dollars doing this. It may not be worth it to some but it was to me. You should be able to go to your banks web site and see what the dollar to euro buy rate is for that day/hour. There are several web sites that track this to keep you up on what the dollar is doing against the euro in real time.

I use the app “XE Currency” which offers live exchange rates, historical charts as well as rate alerts.

Mark, you did it the 'right' way. But few others will go through such an effort.

Personally, I maintain a non-resident bank account in a EU country. This gives me a debit card, with an IC chip easily accepted all over Europe. I have done so, since I left Europe, having lived there for a few years.

A month or so before I plan to travel over, I assess the exchange rate. If it appears to be fluctuating, I wait. If it has been constant or on an upward (negative) trend, I just pull the proverbial trigger on the funds transfer.

Using my US Paypal account with their Xoom service, I can transfer USD into Euros, moving them to my EU account at the most favorable rate. The interbank relationship and rate is the same, but they charge a very nominal amount for the service. The fee they charge is reasonable (IMHO) for the convenience of using a native EU debit card to shop in Euros.

I never worry about cashing in all my Euros while I am there, as I am always returning somewhere in a few months. In one respect, over time, this ends up behaving very similar to dollar cost averaging.

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The VERY OLD good old days. That must have been around when the Euro was first implemented in France. I have a closet full of Mephisto dress shoes that I bought for about USD .86 to the Euro at a similarly medieval time. Being retired, these very fine and not worn shoes now just sit in the closet.

Yup! The VERY good old days my friend...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But do the fees that you have to pay to buy Euros in the US negate the benefit of buying them?
i buy mine at Wells Fargo. If you have an account with them there's no fee. (I opened an account just for that reason)

i buy mine at Wells Fargo. If you have an account with them there's no fee. (I opened an account just for that reason)
There may be no "fee", but what rate are they giving you? I have never found a bank, AAA, etc. that will sell you foreign currency for the same exchange rate as you'll get at an ATM on Europe, or wherever.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone else remember that wonderful book “Europe on $10 a day“?

Hola, Jill, but now you are going back to the 1970's or maybe even late 1960's. But I do find the Euro a plus - I went from Belgum to France to Ireland in one day - all on one currency !!

In 2014 you paid $10.60 for a 10-Euro pilgrim meal. In 2015 it would cost you $14. That still doesn't seem like cause for tears. :confused:

I think I worded that wrong. What I meant was in 2015 my dollar would have went a lot farther in Spain. I don't have my exact numbers, but if I spent 30 euros a day in 2014, it cost me $42 a day, or $1470 in total day expenses over 35 days.

Now in 2015, those same 30 euros would have only been $31.80. and my total day expenses would have been $1,113, and I would have saved $357 in total! Once you also figure in other expenses like hotels, transportation to and from the Camino, and the gifts and stuff I bought, it works out to quite a savings!

Now it is $1.168, the same as July of 2017. It will change, and NO ONE can accurately predict it!

Oh but if I could... haha!

There may be no "fee", but what rate are they giving you? I have never found a bank, AAA, etc. that will sell you foreign currency for the same exchange rate as you'll get at an ATM on Europe, or wherever.

I bought some euros from Wells Fargo in case my card didn't work when I got to Europe. (Which it didn't, despite me informing them beforehand.) It rate wasn't exactly what the market rate was, but as a one time purchase, I think it's worth it so you can have some cash on you when you land.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.