• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dollar stores/China stores?

C

Camino Chris

Hi all,

In the USA we have many cheap Dollar stores in most cities and towns. They go by various similar names..."Dollar General", "Dollar Tree", "Family Dollar" etc.

I've read a number of times on this forum pilgrims referring to cheap "China stores" along the way, where they purchase things they need such as fake crocs, sarongs, knives, corkscrews (wonder why they need one of those :D) etc.

Well, on my two Camino's I've never noticed any of these stores. Are they only in the bigger cities, off the route? Are they the same as Dollar Stores? I ask because this year I would like to make a few simple and cheap purchases after I arrive and begin walking.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all,

In the USA we have many cheap Dollar stores in most cities and towns. They go by various similar names..."Dollar General", "Dollar Tree", "Family Dollar" etc.

I've read a number of times on this forum pilgrims referring to cheap "China stores" along the way, where they purchase things they need such as fake crocs, sarongs, knives, corkscrews (wonder why they need one of those :D) etc.

Well, on my two Camino's I've never noticed any of these stores. Are they only in the bigger cities, off the route? Are they the same as Dollar Stores? I ask because this year I would like to make a few simple and cheap purchases after I arrive and begin walking.
No, they are not the same as Dollar Stores.
They are in the cities and most of the larger towns.
They are stores that are crammed full of all kinds of things. Everything from pens and papers to small appliances.
I bought a comb, and needle and thread at one.

Hi all,

I found one in Burgos. I bought a sink plug so I could do some hand washing in the hotel sink. No proper plug in the hotel washbasin so I got my own. The store was huge, everything cheap just as you'd expect. I never noticed one anywhere else on my CF, but that was the only time I really hunted.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Most reasonable-sized towns have a China Store, but sometimes you have to go looking for it. Just wander down the main shopping streets and you’ll find one. Always run by a Chinese family and always cheap. You can find anything in them. I have bought nailclippers, small fold-up scissors, umbrellas, and, last time, a duvet waistcoat for 15 euros when it started to get cold on the Norte in November. Jill

Hi all,

Wonderful shops
They sell everything apart from the kitchen sink!
They're called Bazaar shops and as someone mentioned,always run by a Chinese family. Popular shops all over Spain

There's one in Burgos where we bought light fleece tops,hats and gloves one May when it started to snow!

There's one between Leon and virgin del Camino where we once bought walking poles (7euros each and cheaper than putting them into the hold!)

Also one on the way out of Carrion de Los Condes

Just ask the local people for "the Bazaar" and you'll be directed to one .

Sounds like they don't have an official name to look for above the
Wonderful shops
They sell everything apart from the kitchen sink!
They're called Bazaar shops and as someone mentioned,always run by a Chinese family. Popular shops all over Spain

There's one in Burgos where we bought light fleece tops,hats and gloves one May when it started to snow!

There's one between Leon and virgin del Camino where we once bought walking poles (7euros each and cheaper than putting them into the hold!)

Also one on the way out of Carrion de Los Condes

Just ask the local people for "the Bazaar" and you'll be directed to one .
Thank you, that's very helpful! One question though...do I ask for "the Bazaar" in English, or do I need to learn the Spanish wording to be understood by the locals?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Spain, "China" stores have names like: Asia Bazaar, China Bazaar, Oriental Bazaar, etc. They are not a chain of stores, as in the US, or UK. Rather, they tend to be family-run businesses.

Coincidentally, or perhaps not, most of the proprietors appear to be Asian.

I hope this helps.

Hi all,

plenty of them in any town with a population of +5000. sarria has several, arzúa a large one right on the camino as you come in... they are called 'chinos' (in spanish) as they are always run by chinese owners who are supplied by huge wholesale chinese depots run by chinese too. they are extremely handy and the only local small businesses that can stay in business despite the puch of the carrefours & co. (no walmarts yet in spain, we have carrefour)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Camino Chris , with no disrespect, if you haven't seen one then you ain't been looking... A phenomenon well known to retailers , town planners, sociologists and auditors like me. 'Chino' stores are ubiquitous in Spain's larger towns and cities and are frequently to be found bang on the Camino routes through those towns and cities. You will walk past two on your way into Pamplona and another on your way out; a pattern that repeats with remarkable frequency. But, you are on Camino - you are looking for little yellow arrows or little brass shells; you might be looking for a not-to-busy bar with somewhere safe to leave your pack. You might even be looking for somewhere to buy an umbrella as I was in Pamplona as I walked past all three 'Chinos' until firmly directed by a friendly native.

But beware: whenever I enter these grand bazaars it is with the knowledge that I will, probably, find what I was looking for and two more items I didn't even know I needed ;)

Last edited:
In 2014 I arrived in Najera on a Sunday afternoon and after settling into the albergue myself and another pilgrim went in search of a meal a cold beer and supplies. Nothing was open. Nothing, ha ha. We asked around and were told that the Chinese store back across the river was open. Went there and they had all the food and supplies we needed. Lot's of fruit, bread, snacks, groceries, etc. I think they had cold beer, too. Saved the day. Well, for me anyway. I was starving, ha ha.
That particular albergue experience was one of the times where despite it being in June, one of the more popular months on the CF, there was only two of us in the entire albergue. No other pilgrims came and spent the night. Just goes to show it's impossible to predict how busy the Camino can be.

In 2014 I arrived in Najera on a Sunday afternoon and after settling into the albergue myself and another pilgrim went in search of a meal a cold beer and supplies. Nothing was open. Nothing, ha ha. We asked around and were told that the Chinese store back across the river was open. Went there and they had all the food and supplies we needed. Lot's of fruit, bread, snacks, groceries, etc. I think they had cold beer, too. Saved the day. Well, for me anyway. I was starving, ha ha.
That particular albergue experience was one of the times where despite it being in June, one of the more popular months on the CF, there was only two of us in the entire albergue. No other pilgrims came and spent the night. Just goes to show it's impossible to predict how busy the Camino can be.
That's another benefit of the China stores. They are often open during siesta time!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I often heard my Spanish Camino friends say, "Voy al chino." From the expat guide to Spanish slang ...

Chino = (chi-no) Corner shop, convenience store. When all the other supermarkets and stores in Spain are closed, you can usually find a chino open. Chino also refers to the Chinese language, a Chinese person, and a Chinese restaurant.

We loved these stores. We bought cotton gloves to keep the sun off, bigger wider brimmed hats also to keep the sun off and ankle and knee guards. Very cheap and I will be using the hat and guards agin this year. The gloves got tossed in Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's another benefit of the China stores. They are often open during siesta time!
They are opened 24/7 in my knowledge (well, not all of them, of course). Also on Camino de Levante for example where there aren't so much of a pilgrim-wise infrastructure.
And I can only second @Mark Lee comment about cold beer. They were really life savers :D

The only thing I would caution against buying there are electric things. I have been told and also read here on the forum that many of those items have fake CE stamps. A friend bought a charger there that lasted a few days. Lots of other great buys though -- I usually buy an all cotton pillowcase since the pillow sizes are so different between the US and Spain, and then when I inevitably leave it on a pillow in some albergue, I just look for my next Chino store and get another.

You will hear a fair amount of grumbling from small Spanish business owners, who claim that these stores got unfair tax breaks (but I've never been able to verify that) and that they are supplied by the Chinese mafia, whatever that is.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Found quite a few in Pamplona (when I was sure I'd lost my FitBit), the one in Navarette is kind of across from the Albergue Pilgrim's (bought the roughest nose tissue I've ever run into, a pen that worked for about 9 words and one of my bunk mates bought faux-Crocs), Granon - I heard the mercado carried all sorts of little things but it was never open when I was there (not a China store).

Got a pair of nail clippers, a stocking cap (which I never wore), & 2 pair of undies at one in Palencia.

Look for the stores with a huge array of fake flowers in front. That was a major clue for me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found one as I walked through Pamploma.... needed to replace my sunglasses urgently! E2 purchase protected my eyes until SdC.
Annie

For those starting in Sarria there's also a large China Euro Bazaar just off the Camino a few steps down the street from Pereginoteca (the Pilgrim hiking/supply store).

There's also another in downtown Arzua.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They were often called Todo a Cien, everything for 100 pesetas.

Prices have gone up a bit since then of course!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back