• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dollars v Euros

E V Waight

It's the journey, not the destination.
Time of past OR future Camino
September (2017)
Possible September (2018)
Holy Year (2021) (all three Gladys, John and I)
Do I need to change dollars to euros or will dollars be widely accepted?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Euros are the currency in Spain. I can't imagine an albergue or bar that would take dollars. I also can't think of a business in the US that accepts euros. Use an ATM to get euros.

Hi E V and welcome to the forum. Yes, as trecile says, don't count on being able to use dollars here at all. Just have a few dollars to help you through the US airports, and to be safe you might want some euros as emergency money to use in case you can't get euros out of the ATM right away...but otherwise use a debit card (never a credit card as interest will start accruing right away) to withdraw euros from ATMs.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We take a couple of hundred Euros for airports, taxies, subway tickets, lunch the first day. You will not be able to use US dollars. Your bank should be able to order the Euros for you. While you are at the bank ask about out of country charges. Add that percent or amount to the rate of exchange and you will have an idea of how much your Euros vs. Dollars will cost you.

If you are taking a credit card, get a pin number if you don't already have one.

Recommend checking with your bank for availability. Today I went to my local bank with muchos dolares and returned home with muchos euros [and I did not have to place an order, the bank had the euros handy]. Buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No need. That's what ATMs are for.

True, there are ATMs. In 2014, I did not have euros upon arrival in Madrid. Had problem with my debit card and no euros or even dollars to exchange. Took an hour or so at airport calling bank's International number to clear up problem. I'll never again deplane sans a few hundred euros!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As a side note, you will most likely be asked whether you want to pay in dollars or euros if you use your credit card for purchases. I always pick the local currency (euros), and let my bank take care of the conversion. If you pick dollars, you are relying on someone other than your bank to do the conversion. I have read some articles that indicate this "convenience conversion" could be as much as 5%.

If you go on the Camino francés and you happen to stay in Paris for a few days, take your dollars (cash only) to the Paris Chinatown (13ème arrondissement). This is where you get the best exchange rate for your dollars (no fees).

For the Caminho português, remember: there are still a lot of places in Portugal that will not accept debit cards, and only take cash. Spain is better about accepting payments with debit cards. If you go on the Caminho português, withdraw euros from an ATM every time you find one. Check with your bank whether they have a partner in Europe, and use their ATM to avoid conversion fees.
Of course, churches accept all kinds of currency as donation. Last year, I left a few dollars in the church of Padrón!

@nycwalking -what was the problem with your debit card?

I ask this because I am with Kanga and Anemone. I just go to an ATM in the airport where I arrive (recently Paris, Bordeaux, and Marseilles) and withdraw euros using my debit card. However, before my departure I have to notify my bank (and also some of my credit cards) of my foreign travel, i.e., the dates of my travel and the foreign countries I will be visiting.

I flew last May to Paris and withdrew euros as I just described. But when I got to Pamplona my card wouldn't work in several banks' ATMs. I had a moment of panic, but also a hundred or so euros left from my earlier withdrawal. When I got to Puente la Reina I tried another bank and voila, euros! My card worked without a single hiccup for the next few weeks. I think what happened is that the banks in Pamplona were not affiliated with Visa and my card is - it has a little Visa logo on it. Banks that can accept my card display their Visa affiliation on or next to their ATMs. There will be multiple ATMs in any European international airport. Also Santander Bank operates in the US and is always a good choice for a withdrawal when you get to Spain.

About two years ago I took a ski trip to Europe with someone in the "get my euros before I go" camp. He told me he had gone to his US bank and gotten euros without any service charge. When we returned he asked me if I would buy his leftover euros which I said I would. But when he later showed me the exchange rate his US bank had charged, it was as I recall nearly 2% worse than what I had received by just going to the ATM (in Munich airport). So the bank's profit was not in the form of a service charge but in its exchange rate. My euros cost me $3 or $3.50 for each withdrawal of 500 euros and I received a significantly better exchange rate. On the Camino I usually withdraw only 300 euros. It seems that 300 is the maximum amount you can withdraw in most Spanish ATMs. I'm not sure if you can withdraw more at Madrid's airport.

Buen camino!

Tom

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that it has been made very clear...but just in case there is still a bit of confusion...

U.S. dollars cannot be used in Spain or anywhere else in Europe. (Normally)

Just as the Euro is not accepted in the U.S. in normal business.
Think about it that way....

(Added..or Australian or Canadian Dollars)

Last edited:
Santander & Bankia banks do not charge an ATM fee as of last May.

Also, if you select payment in dollars rather than in local currency, your credit card company will add a $2.50 fee to the charge!
Buen Camino!!

In considering use of credit vs debit cards remember debits come straight from your bank account almost immediately. Fraudulent use could empty the account and it may be harder to get it back from your bank. Credit cards will accrue interest but if a fraudulent charge is entered it can be contested with your bank and fraudulent charges are usually limited, generally to about $50 but some banks will even waive this.
It is also potentially helpful to notify your financial institution of your travel plans - dates, countries, etc. before you leave. Their anti-fraud software looks for charges deviating from your usual usage and block it unless they have a flag on your account to expect this. If they flag it they may call your home to verify the validity of the charge and if you're not there... I had this happen on a trip to England and they called my home. Fortunately my daughter was there picking up our mail and ok'd it. I also had a charge from Ivar blocked temporarily until I called and authorized it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
No they will not be widely accepted. The easiest way to get Euros is to use an ATM. Typically the fees are less than the exchange places. Make sure you notify your bank that you'll be traveling.

Repeating some from the other thread, but:
  • Use your home ATM card to withdraw Euros. The card network that your bank uses for its ATM transactions (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) does the conversion from your home currency, and will do so at close to that day's interbank rate, which will be the best you can get. Local banks and exchange services are likely to gouge you with a poor exchange rate (an expensive fact that can be masked by "no fee" marketing). BUT ...
  • Your ATM use is likely to incur per-transaction ATM fees. This suggests that you should limit withdrawals to large amounts so as to spread the fees out. OR ...
  • Charles Schwab offers a no-fee checking account and reimburses you for all ATM fees anywhere in the world. There may be others like it.
  • I further asked Schwab to allow only ATM withdrawals - not debit purchases - to provide a level of security against fraud. If I lose it, it's only good if someone knows my PIN. I will use my regular credit card (which doesn't charge fees for foreign transactions and provides fraud protection) for any non-cash purchases.

@TMcA,
The bank, BofA, had placed a 24 hour hold on a check I had deposited drawn on their bank. They never do that. When, I phoned they apologized, and said funds would be available following day. I expressed, I was at Barajas airport in Madrid, Spain with no money and no intention of spending night in airport ... they realeased the funds. I had given them my travel information prior to travel. Just one of those things. On another thread I relayed, ALL of my caminos have had at least one I Love Lucy or better yet Ripley's Believe it or Not moment.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, I always have a few euros when I land - just in case it is hard to find a nearby ATM. When you are tired and jet lagged...
Hi Kanga, similarly I have both paper notes and always keep my loose change, 10/20/50 cents & 1 & 2 E coin. It really would be useful if ATM also issued some coins. I had real problems at Madrid airport a few years back, the luggage trolleys only took tokens at E1 each.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ensure you don't just travel with large euro notes... Over but not incl €50. Some places may not accept larger notes.

I use a travel money card from my bank when i travel. Its like a modern day version of travellers cheques. You can load up to 13 currencies on it (i have only ever needed 3 at a time) and switch the default currency when you need to). The benefit of this is you only ever get charged a one time currency conversion rate and then just the flat fee at an ATM if there is one. It's also safer than using your debit card in case it gets stolen, it means your regular savings account is not at risk, only the money on your travel card. Most banks offer this service and i believe other providers as well. I have used it on my past 4 overseas trips and wouldn't use anything else. It works just like a credit or debit mastercard. Hope this helps

Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a side note, you will most likely be asked whether you want to pay in dollars or euros if you use your credit card for purchases. I always pick the local currency (euros), and let my bank take care of the conversion. If you pick dollars, you are relying on someone other than your bank to do the conversion. I have read some articles that indicate this "convenience conversion" could be as much as 5%.

And some of the ATMs also have the option to be charged in euros or your home currency. It's always better to choose euros. Otherwise you can get stung with a higher conversion fee.
In considering use of credit vs debit cards remember debits come straight from your bank account almost immediately. Fraudulent use could empty the account and it may be harder to get it back from your bank. Credit cards will accrue interest but if a fraudulent charge is entered it can be contested with your bank and fraudulent charges are usually limited, generally to about $50 but some banks will even waive this.
It is also potentially helpful to notify your financial institution of your travel plans - dates, countries, etc. before you leave. Their anti-fraud software looks for charges deviating from your usual usage and block it unless they have a flag on your account to expect this. If they flag it they may call your home to verify the validity of the charge and if you're not there... I had this happen on a trip to England and they called my home. Fortunately my daughter was there picking up our mail and ok'd it. I also had a charge from Ivar blocked temporarily until I called and authorized it.

But you should never use a credit card to withdraw money from an ATM, except in case of emergency, as you will incur cash advance fees, and interest will start accruing immediately.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.