Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Domingo & David?

kmccue

Time of past OR future Camino
I almost know the responses Im going to get even as I write this. I'm planning our stages for a September trip. Oviedo to San Juan De Villapananda clocks in at 30 K...but of course I've hear all about the wonderful Domingo. Should I push on past Grado just to experience him? And what about David in Bodeyana. Same thought?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
They have very different personalities but both are wonderful and caring hospis. Domingo initially comes across as a little uptight and regimental. He does run a very tight ship but underneath has a heart of gold. David is a lot more easy going but very welcoming from the moment you meet him. They are good guys and good places to stay.

If I were fortunate enough to walk the Primitivo again I would make sure my schedule coincided with a bed available at David's in Bodenaya. Truly a real Camino highlight. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with Flog’s spin on their personalities. Both places are very special. What San Juan offers is a perfect priviliged spot up high in the fields with glorious views. Since there is nothing else to do, people who might not otherwise mingle have a chance to get to know each other. David’s welcoming personalithy and open mind make him a most empathetic and caring hospi. That’s not Domingo at alll, but as Flog says, Domingo has a heart of gold beneath that rough exterior.

I have not seen any indication that San Juan has plans to reopen yet, but I really hope that happens soon!

If you wonder about the first day from Oviedo to San Juan, it isn’t that bad, especially if you take a long rest in Grado and recharge. But you could start out slow from Oviedo, spend the first night in Escamplero and the next in San Juan. San Juan to Bodenaya is a very doable day, IMO.

I agree with Flog’s spin on their personalities. Both places are very special. What San Juan offers is a perfect priviliged spot up high in the fields with glorious views. Since there is nothing else to do, people who might not otherwise mingle have a chance to get to know each other. David’s welcoming personalithy and open mind make him a most empathetic and caring hospi. That’s not Domingo at alll, but as Flog says, Domingo has a heart of gold beneath that rough exterior.

I have not seen any indication that San Juan has plans to reopen yet, but I really hope that happens soon!

If you wonder about the first day from Oviedo to San Juan, it isn’t that bad, especially if you take a long rest in Grado and recharge. But you could start out slow from Oviedo, spend the first night in Escamplero and the next in San Juan. San Juan to Bodenaya is a very doable day, IMO.
Great recommendations. By saying that San Juan isn't open yet...do you mean for the season...or did they close for COVID? Thanks.

I just saw on Álvaro Lazaga’s youtube (camino 48! for him) that Domingo in San Juan De Villapañada has re-opened the albergue as of yesterday, April 10. Gronze confirms that date.

Though most peregrinos on the primitivo stop in Grado, this is a beautiful alternative about 4 km beyond Grado (yes, it is uphill!) — small, rural, on a hill with gorgeous views.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I almost know the responses Im going to get even as I write this. I'm planning our stages for a September trip. Oviedo to San Juan De Villapananda clocks in at 30 K...but of course I've hear all about the wonderful Domingo. Should I push on past Grado just to experience him? And what about David in Bodeyana. Same thought?
I finished the Primitivo April 7th. I walked from Oviedo to Grado and then Grado to Bodenaya. That second stage I believe was my hardest. It was hot and steep and I didn't drink hardly any water. That was my fault. But I wouldn't change it for the world. Bodenaya was my most memorable evening on the Camino. I was the last Pilgrim to show up at 630pm. David, met me with a big smile and a hug. Offering me water or beer and told me to sit down and chat with him for a couple minutes while I rested and drink 3 large glasses of water. My 3 pilgrim friends were already showered and relaxing. I showered, give my clothes to David's wife who laundered and folded them while we ate. We all sat around and chatted while we helped prepare a pumpkin curry soup, pasta salad, bread and wine. David told me to sit at the head of the table and say something to the rest of the pilgrims. I was so tired. I began to cry while my hands began to cramp up due to low magnesium. All I could say was Mi perigrinos, mi amigos, mi familia, I'm so glad I'm here. One pilgrim James grabbed my forearm while another pilgrim Beya began to cry too.....After dinner David asked me "Richard, why did you become so upset at the table?" I replied I was just so tired and wish my wife was here to witness such kindness. He approached me and gave me a long hug.....Then he he looked at the rest of the group and said " This is such a great family!" We all went to bed and awoke to Ave Maria, breakfast and all of our clothes folded impeccably down stairs.

So for me Bodenaya was my Camino.

I finished the Primitivo April 7th. I walked from Oviedo to Grado and then Grado to Bodenaya. That second stage I believe was my hardest. It was hot and steep and I didn't drink hardly any water. That was my fault. But I wouldn't change it for the world. Bodenaya was my most memorable evening on the Camino. I was the last Pilgrim to show up at 630pm. David, met me with a big smile and a hug. Offering me water or beer and told me to sit down and chat with him for a couple minutes while I rested and drink 3 large glasses of water. My 3 pilgrim friends were already showered and relaxing. I showered, give my clothes to David's wife who laundered and folded them while we ate. We all sat around and chatted while we helped prepare a pumpkin curry soup, pasta salad, bread and wine. David told me to sit at the head of the table and say something to the rest of the pilgrims. I was so tired. I began to cry while my hands began to cramp up due to low magnesium. All I could say was Mi perigrinos, mi amigos, mi familia, I'm so glad I'm here. One pilgrim James grabbed my forearm while another pilgrim Beya began to cry too.....After dinner David asked me "Richard, why did you become so upset at the table?" I replied I was just so tired and wish my wife was here to witness such kindness. He approached me and gave me a long hug.....Then he he looked at the rest of the group and said " This is such a great family!" We all went to bed and awoke to Ave Maria, breakfast and all of our clothes folded impeccably down stairs.

This was so beautiful to read, and almost made me tear up as well. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Thanks Nadine, You were very influential on my decision to walk the Primitivo vs just walking from Pamplona to Sahagun. I walked with 12 pilgrims all the way to SDC. And the memories we made will never be forgotten. After all in the end that is all that we have.......memories.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I’m tearing up as I read this.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back