• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dona maria

Bella2017

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2017 Oct 2018 Camino ingles june 2019 cancelled Camino Portuguese Oct 2019
Is it a great place to stay? Is the meal 35 euros a head? Seems a bit pricy to me

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is it a great place to stay? Is the meal 35 euros a head? Seems a bit pricy to me

If you are referring to Casa DonaMaria in Ordes, I would look at a site like Booking.com, Travelocity, or Hotels.com and look at the reviews.

As a private lodging, and for its location, the room prices do not look exorbitant. There are less expensive choices around.

I do not know what you mean when you asked, "Is the meal 35 euros a head". If you mean room price, that may be what it costs, on average per person, for a two person room.

On booking.com you can book dinner for 35 euros a head breakfast for 7.50. I have booked to stay there. I just wondered if that was correct and also was it amazing thanks

On booking.com you can book dinner for 35 euros a head breakfast for 7.50. I have booked to stay there. I just wondered if that was correct and also was it amazing thanks

In looking at Booking.com, it looks like you are correct about the dinner price. As far as it being an amazing place to stay or to dine at, I don't have any experience with either. That is not too expensive for a full blown gourmet dinner, but a bad deal if it is a typical pilgrim menu.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Inglés earlier this month and stopped for a coffee at the cafe across from Casa Rural Doña María.

I then started kicking myself that I had canceled my reservation there and spent the night in O Meson do Vento the night before. Staying in Ordes would have been SO much better and made the long day’s walk to Sigüeiro more pleasant.

Went across the street after coffee to have a look and really wished I’d stayed there. Considering what I paid for a mediocre meal at Hotel Canaima, I’d have gladly paid €35 for dinner at CR Doña Maria.

That’s my opinion, but there it is.

And a word to those about to walk the Inglés: the day walking to Sigüeiro had no open cafes past Ordes. Cafe Cruceiro was locked up tight. Make sure you have something in your pack for lunch (I had a picnic) and plenty of water. And use the bathroom! The fuente is a long way from Ordes and there were no “Camino Angel” stations set up as there were earlier with juices and water.

It was hot that day (84°F/ 29°C) and there’s not much shade the last 8-10km. The industrial park segment is demoralizing. There are no hills however.

Casa Rural Donna Maria in Buscas was the best place I stayed on in the Ingles.

Just 4 rooms, refurbished to a high standard, some with washing machine, lovely garden. Well worth the extra 1.5 hours flat walk past Hospital de Bruma. From Betanzos, the walk to Buscas took 10 hours, and it cuts down the next stage to Sigueiro.

The best thing about Casa Rural Donna Maria was the food. Home cooked food tasting like home cooked food, served at the time I desired. 3 course meal, including wine or beer, worth 35 euros in my view. I had soup, fresh fish, pudding and a bottle of wine. Ditto breakfast worth having, as there is nowhere nearby. It meant I could east at 6.30pm and have the luxury of an early night, instead of needing to wait until restaurants opened at 8.30pm at the earliest.

Only downside of Casa Rural Donna Maria was none of the rooms had baths. Could not soak my tired legs after the long stage. Despite that, I would stay and eat again.

Thanks we will stay there. We will decide later about food. If we haven't had much all day then will eat there. If we find a large lunch we may just have a snack in the evening.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
After taking a look at the information about Casa Rural Dona Maria, I went ahead and booked a stay in late October at for Jill and myself. We'll stay there after walking a stage from Betanzos. I'm looking forward to dining there.

Bella, on the Betanzos to Casa Rural Donnamaria stage, there are basically two places to have lunch

1. the museum at Presedo - lovely place, but after an 8am start, I hit here at 11am and it was too early for lunch, but had a coffee and pastry
2. Bar Avelina - really did not like the look of this place when I walked in, and walked on by.

Luckily I had made myself a packed lunch from the breakfast buffet in my hotel at Betanzos and other provisions I bought in the evening before. There also isn't much around in Buscas if you do not have the Casa Maria evening meal. I found the € 35 for dinner at the Casa Maria good value, and as I said, it was the best meal I ate all week

We have now returned and On this section were pleased that there are more good options: cafe in way out of Betanzos open at 7.30 am
Cafe between cos and presedo a surprise to us we had coffee.
Xente no camino at presado great we had tortilla and beer as it was too early for lunch
Leiro plenty of covered seating near church
Encore De Beche by reservoir lovely picnic area and toilets
Casa Avelina at As Traverse cafe
At hospital de Bruma great restaurant called Cas a grana has a fantastic menu pelegrino. I had soup roast chicken followed by natillas and half a bottle of wine for 10 euros. I highly recommend it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back