• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donating Equipment and Supplies in SdC

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi David Manzo, we left our walking poles at pilgrim office. Also there is a few young people sitting on the pavements hoping to continue there journey and are short of supplies.

Many folks abandon their walking poles at the Pilgrim Office. Among my daily volunteer tasks is sorting the good quality ones from the junk.

The wooden poles and staffs are saved. A local charity comes by periodically to collect them. They are cut into stove-sized pieces for poor folks who actually still use wood stoves for cooking and heat in and around Santiago. These pieces are kindling.

The low value metal poles and higher-quality but broken are sent to recycling.

The better quality hiking poles, if functional and in reasonably good condition, are taken to the Pilgrim House at Rua Nova #19. They maintain a active 'donativo' for pilgrims and anyone who asks for clothing or supplies.

So, the simple answer is donate your unwanted but serviceable gear and clothing at Pilgrim House, Rua Nova #19.

If you leave stuff at the Pilgrim Office, some of it will end up here anyway.

Hope this helps.

Yes, i left my bike at the pilgrims office a few years ago and i will be leaving another one there ( god willing ) in October this year .;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is there a place to donate equipment and unused supplies at the end of the Camino in Santiago de Compostela?
I have a friend who just finished her camino. On the last day, her walking poles broke. She found, perhaps at the main office, that they are collecting broken equipment for some type of future art display or monument. So, that doesn't fully answer your question about usable equipment but even if it breaks, that's a good way to pass it on.

Sarah is correct. The contemporary art museum, located in the huge modern wave shaped building on the hill near Monte de Gozo, has a large multimedia sculpture made up of discarded poles.

This year they added a new feature. Pilgrims discarding their poles at the pilgrim office can choose to tag the poles with a provided card that provides contact details (name & email). I have no idea what the sculpture looks like. But the idea is interesting.

Someone comes by periodically to collect the tagged hiking sticks and staffs to bring them to the museum for potential use. Some mornings, I would come into the office to discover that EVERYTHING was simply GONE. I have no idea where it all went.

Those discarded hiking sticks and staff that are not tagged, are treated as I mentioned above.

Also, I was approached by a German pilgrim who, after riding to Santiago from Germany, specifically wanted to donate his three-year old, very expensive, German-engineered hybrid bicycle (mountain / road) to another needy pilgrim. So, I directed this fellow to take his bike to the Pilgrim House. I later heard that it was adopted onward... Success!

Hope this helps.

Is there a place to donate equipment and unused supplies at the end of the Camino in Santiago de Compostela?

Or you can drop them by at my place, I have a couple of "take what you need, leave what you don't need boxes" for pilgrims. What isn't a good fit for my place, I re-distribute to Pilgrim House, the Franciscans etc.

Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.